Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Rennteam's First Panamera 4S Testdrive

Finally we are able to post Rennteam’s first short Panamera test review, we have to apologize but for various reasons it wasn’t possible earlier.

Panamera 4S – short test drive

The chassis feels pretty comfortable but at the same time precise and sporty, sidegrip feels good and the steering feel is very direct.

The behaviour in curves is initially neutral, then it changes into a slight understeer, the front part feels pretty light. From a subjective point of view, the Panamera 4S feels sportier and faster in curves than for example a BMW 750iL with active suspension system, the 4WD system allows a very early acceleration out of curves.

The excessive weight however doesn’t feel right when it comes to passing other cars on the Autobahn, the 400 HP seem not to be enough for such a heavy car, it doesn’t feel as fast as expected.

Strong braking before curves again reminds the driver of the excessive weight, the Panamera 4S pushes a little bit over the front axle.

The PSM setup is very safety oriented, car wasn’t equipped with the Sport Chrono package though.

The overall build quality of the testcar was excellent, very surprising for an early car. The interior quality is also excellent and provides a very classy look, a almost perfect match for such a car.

Unfortunately the Burmester loudspeaker shows up in the front windshield, there is a certain mirror effect which can be unpleasant depending on the interior colour and the colour of the speaker housing.

Driving noise is very quiet, you barely can hear anything, very comfort oriented. Bare in mind that the tested car was not equipped with the optional sport exhaust system.

The buttons and everything else in the interior seems to be very ergonomical and well organized, the driver gets used to it very fast without any major problem.

The additional coloured navigation map in the speedo cluster is also a very nice feature.

Short conclusion: the Panamera 4S is an excellent limousine for travel, probably the sportiest limousine on the market but not quite close to a sportscar like the 911 for example. The car feels heavy, especially when you fully use the potential of the engine.

Sporty drivers should look out for the slightly lighter Panamera S or better, the Panamera Turbo.

We will post an extensive review of the Panamera Turbo over the next two days, including pictures of the Turbo.

This short Panamera 4S review was only an appetizer, enjoy the photos.

panas2.jpg

panas3.jpg

panas4.jpg

panas5.jpg

1250024198910panas1.jpg
    --

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: Rennteam's First Panamera Test Drive

RC:

From a subjective point of view, the Panamera 4S feels sportier and faster in curves than for example a BMW 750iL with active suspension system, the 4WD system allows a very early acceleration out of curves.

Great test summary SmileySmileySmiley

The key question (regarding the above quote): does it feel closer to 750iL or closer to 997... Smiley

The Panamera Turbo review will unveil some of the mysteries and questions many people have.

One thing is for sure though: the Panamera 4S is closer to the BMW 750iL than to the 997, there is no doubt about it.

Like I predicted before, it is similar to the Cayenne model line: everything below the Turbo is nice and fast but not really spectacular.

Another thing: DARK colours work best with the Panamera, the 4S test car looked actually pretty stunning but certainly not from every angle.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Nice write-up RC. Looking forward to the Turbo review.

Black does look best. I'd like a turbo with all black wheels. 

--
    05' C4S

I had a sneak preview today and saw a yachting blue car with blue/cream interior, palladium silver with espresso interior and a black/black car. The black car was the one I personally found least attractive. Yachting blue looks great  on this car IMHO as does the palladium silver. But they definately need the 20" wheels. Privacy glass is also a must IMHO. The interior is extremely well finished but feels quite small in the front due to the very large transmission tunnel that intrudes into both front footwells.

Very nice and fair review Smiley thanks RC.

--
    Happy Driving

RC Thanks for the great write-up... I look forward to your notes on the Turbo

--
    2006 987S, Artic Silver, Cocoa, Cocoa Top 2006 Cayenne S Lapis Blue New York

Nice writeup RC! No surprises there.. Beautiful pictures, and yes that vent in the window does look annoying but that is a very easy fix ;)
    I think Porsche might have a winner in the current trend of cars for the next decade...

--

1980 Mercedes-Benz 240d 2.4L Diesel 74 hp Olive Green on Tan or Black on red (looking to buy) 
    1986 BMW 325e 5spd 2.7L 121 hp (172 lb·ft) Le Mans Blau on Tan leather.
    1986 BMW 325is 5spd 2.5L 168 hp (164 lb-ft) White on Tan leather (parted out) 
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136 hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150 hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

Thanks for the report. Short and sweet!

Coming from a Panamera-sceptic like you it is a very positive first impression

As regards the suitable colours I am a bit confused until I see the car in real life. Many reviewers prefer black and dark colours but others say that lighter colours (silver, grey, light blue) make the car less slab-sided and less rear heavy and it looks more spectacular as they bring out the curves. 

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

what is the interior color?platinum grey?Smiley

reginos:

Thanks for the report. Short and sweet!

As regards the suitable colours I am a bit confused until I see the car in real life. Many reviewers prefer black and dark colours but others say that lighter colours (silver, grey, light blue) make the car less slab-sided and less rear heavy and it looks more spectacular as they bring out the curves. 

Also please let us have your impressions about space especially in the rear and in the luggage compartment.

--

simony007:

what is the interior color?platinum grey?Smiley

That interior is black with the aluminium trim. I saw a similar car yesterday and the aluminium trim looks really good with an interesting texture that doesn't seem to show too well in most photographs I've seen iof it.

reginos:

Also please let us have your impressions about space especially in the rear and in the luggage compartment.

It'll be interesting to hear RC's views but I thought the trunk is quite shallow. There is a set of four equal sized Porsche Design luggage cases that Porsche were using to demonstrate the luggage capacity along with a set of golf clubs but I felt it was a bit misleading as the cases are not very big. The trunk of a 7 series is far bigger. I thought rear seat space is pretty good but the sloping roof line makes getting in and out a little tricky if you are taller as you have to consciously duck under the door opening more than you would in the cars competitors. I found myself having to do the same in the front.

Good review....thanks for sharing.

Essence makes sense. You can make 2 tons feels better with electronics and smart suspension, although you can never hide it...

RC, I am suprised that you had anything positive to say about this car. You seemed to have made your mind up regarding the panamera about it long before you drove it.

I would rather take this over an S Class, 7 series, A8, Aston Martin Rapide or Maserati Quattroporte any day

The good point about the Panamera as far as Porsche AG are concerned is that although the initial reaction of some people was extremely negative, as time goes by the same people after they see and sample the car they warm to it. Some even began liking it!

Much better than the other way round.

--

JP66:

Nice write-up RC. Looking forward to the Turbo review.

+1 Smiley

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Re: Rennteam's First Panamera 4S Testdrive

Thanks for posting RC. Smiley I love the interior design of the Panamera, especially the centre console - very classy. Smiley I believe future Porsche models, such as the next 911, are going to follow this theme? Smiley
    --
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

Re: Rennteam's First Panamera 4S Testdrive

dreamcar:

I believe future Porsche models, such as the next 911, are going to follow this theme? Smiley

I think the same. Panamera shows the new interior styling of Porsche, 991 will follow this way.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

reginos:

I'm not a Panamera sceptic at all, never was. My only concern is and was always the hunchback-styled rear and to some point the too high price tag in my opinion.

At the current price tags, Porsche should have given the Panamera S/4S at least 450 HP and the Turbo at least 540 HP base power. Unfortunately Porsche always wants to make money with powerkits on the Turbo, so expect a Panamera powerkit sometimes next year at around 540 HP. Always the same story.... Smiley

--

Good for marketing, bad for consumers...

Same with the ridiculous options not standard...

SciFrog:

Same with the ridiculous options not standard...

Nothing changes here then. Smiley

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

Three things I love about this car

- Engine

- Gearbox

- Interior

The rest =

--

http://i28.tinypic.com/166k5zo.png

BiTurbo:

Three things I love about this car

- Engine

- Gearbox

- Interior

The rest =

Yep, I fully agree. The Panamera is surely a great product in its segment, no doubt about it. I'm still not sure how many people who actually WANT to buy the car can live with the weird rear part. From some angles, it looks like as if a second design team attached the rear in a hurry.

--

I was reading an article in the USA Excellence Magazine and according to the writers, who have tested the whole Panamera range, the Panamera is a car without any real rivals, only some theoretical rivals (like certain  BMWs and M-Bs ,the 4porte, some future Audi perhaps).

Moreover, they say that 60.000 people have expressed interest to buy a Panamera in the USA. Given the 20.000 global sales target there is plenty of scope for harmless cancellations.

--

Just saw my first 2 panamera's irl! must say it's looking far better than expected, big but not ugly like feared for.

For a limo i like it!

the interior looks georgeous!

--

ex 965 3.3turbo/ ex 993 targa / ex 996 cab /

now 997S cabrio //  Audi A5 S-line 3.0tdi Quattro

Porsche brought a handful of the Panameras to Carmel Valley in California  as part of a marketing effort for buyers and dealers. I had the opportunity to drive a 4s for about 25 minutes up and down a long twisting highway this week. I drove my Maserati GranTurismo down the same road to reach the Porsche location and saw several Panameras coming at me. First impressions of the car when you see is better than the pictures as many have noted. On the road it has a good presence coming at you: low and wide; the LED driving lights are striking. Yes, it is a little fat at the rear end and the PORSCHE name on the back does look like it is too high up on the car; I would take it off. Inside the car is very, very nice. The electronics seem to be state of the art:the  IPOD interface is the best I have seen and the blue tooth is suppose to work with an Apple 3Gs which many don't do. The view out the front is very open as is the side view but not much is seen out the back. The  rear camera would be a good option to get.  The two rear seats are very comfortable and those passengers would have plenty of room. There are lots of rear seat options if you plan to be driven around such as lights, more power seat adjustments, etc.. The driver does sit low but the seat height is fully adjustable so you really don't feel like you are sitting a hole. The car is wide and drives wide. In fact it is 1"  wider than my Maserati, 2" taller, and 3" longer but about the same weight so it is big but not hugh. It feels more spacious inside but otherwise seems to be a similar size when driving it around. It also  has a similar balance when driving around corners, but the suspension and power/torque of the Porsche is better. The Maserati sounds  better and  is much prettier to look at but the Porsche is nicer inside. One big issue is the price. I hit the option list pretty hard when using their on site configurator and it does add up fast: $180,000 for "My" car. The special paint, optional stereo, optional leather, cc brakes,etc all add up. In this economy, that seems like too much. As for colors, I am partial to  one of the silvers and that would be my choice here. If you like black that would be an ok choice too. The interior choices are pretty conservative. I liked the yachting mahogany wood with the special dark brown interior but I may be too fashion  edgy for most of you. Afterall, I own a Masearti and not a Porsche. From the pictures I have seen of the potential coupe for this model, I would think that will be a much prettier car, still have a practical side, have state of the are tech and go like hell; ie more my type of car.

RC, can you reply my messages in your messages box~Smiley

I wonder how  it will hold its value as a second hand car, or as a demo. Smiley

There are already some offers out there for a new turbo at 9 or 10k under MSRP. 

amazon:

This is a very interesting question. Porsche marketing told me that the dealer "margin" isn't better than with other Porsche models, on the contrary. This means that dealers don't have much "air" left to make special offers, unless of course they have a completely different agenda like luring the customer into the Porsche "family" or hoping that the customer is going to buy more cars from him.

Personally, I would wait with a buying decision to see where the path is leading to. I actually don't know one premium limousine manufacturer who sells his cars at MSRP or slightly under. Most premium limousines in Germany go for at least 10% under MSRP or even less if you know how to play the dealers or if the dealership for example puts the car on their name for a day or even a couple of months. I got 20(!)% off my brandnew Mercedes E55 but I had to let the dealer to put the car for one month on their name. What did I care? I was driving around with their license plate without a problem. Smiley 

I may be wrong but I think that a 160000 EUR Cayenne Turbo can be bought in 6 months and not more than 5000 km on the speedo for less than 130000 EUR. Time will tell but if someone has time to wait and not so much money, it may be wise to wait with a buying decision. The price tag of a brandnew Panamera 4S may buy you a Panamera Turbo with very low mileage in a couple of months.

Lease offers should also improve with time, right now Porsche Financial asked at my dealership almost 3000 EUR per month for a well equipped Panamera Turbo, no down payment and 36 months lease duration. This is A LOT of money.

Example: my 997 Turbo has almost he same new car price and I pay 1700 EUR per month with a 15000 EUR down payment and a lease duration of 5 years. Even with the same down payment, I think that the mentioned Panamera Turbo would be around 2200 EUR or so. Of course Porsche Financial isn't the best address to get a decent lease deal but anyways, it is a lot of money. I can get a well equipped BMW 750i for half the money.

--

RC:
    amazon:

This is a very interesting question. Porsche marketing told me that the dealer "margin" isn't better than with other Porsche models, on the contrary. This means that dealers don't have much "air" left to make special offers, unless of course they have a completely different agenda like luring the customer into the Porsche "family" or hoping that the customer is going to buy more cars from him.

Personally, I would wait with a buying decision to see where the path is leading to. I actually don't know one premium limousine manufacturer who sells his cars at MSRP or slightly under. Most premium limousines in Germany go for at least 10% under MSRP or even less if you know how to play the dealers or if the dealership for example puts the car on their name for a day or even a couple of months. I got 20(!)% off my brandnew Mercedes E55 but I had to let the dealer to put the car for one month on their name. What did I care? I was driving around with their license plate without a problem. Smiley 

I may be wrong but I think that a 160000 EUR Cayenne Turbo can be bought in 6 months and not more than 5000 km on the speedo for less than 130000 EUR. Time will tell but if someone has time to wait and not so much money, it may be wise to wait with a buying decision. The price tag of a brandnew Panamera 4S may buy you a Panamera Turbo with very low mileage in a couple of months.

Lease offers should also improve with time, right now Porsche Financial asked at my dealership almost 3000 EUR per month for a well equipped Panamera Turbo, no down payment and 36 months lease duration. This is A LOT of money.

Example: my 997 Turbo has almost he same new car price and I pay 1700 EUR per month with a 15000 EUR down payment and a lease duration of 5 years. Even with the same down payment, I think that the mentioned Panamera Turbo would be around 2200 EUR or so. Of course Porsche Financial isn't the best address to get a decent lease deal but anyways, it is a lot of money. I can get a well equipped BMW 750i for half the money.

--

The problem with porsches right now is that the cars don't hold their value anymore.

In Belgium, prices were always higher on the second hand market because there are not many cars available, if you want a low mileage car.

Nowadays, prices are going down, just like on any BMW. 

In such a market, why would you pay more for a porsche (meaning the badge) than a BMW ?

There are too many models, too many cars around as production's volume is way too high for sportscar manufacturer. 

I like the panamera more and more. But if you can have one for the price cayennes are going for on the second hand market, I would never pay 160.000 EUR for one. Actually, I would not even pay more than 100.000 EUR... 

You won't have too anyway.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765405 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437285 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261431 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258219 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82765 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877538 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809810 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM