Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Rennteam's First Panamera TURBO Testdrive

The black Panamera Turbo looks great, the color choice really matters. Some people may say that black is boring and they may be right but with the „Hunchback of Notre Dame“-styled rear part, it actually helps to cover a major exterior design flaw.

After I enter the Panamera Turbo, all my negative thoughts about the exterior design are gone, vanished. The interior is very nice and provides the driver with a very pleasant glove feel, it is difficult to explain until one actually sits in the driver’s seat.

The seat is comfortable and sporty at the same time, the side-grip could be slightly better in fast curves but hey, this is not supposed to be a track car, right?! Or do you imagine former CEO Dr. Wiedeking wearing a hat in the rear while his driver pilots the Panamera around the Nordschleife? I doubt it.

Which brings me back to the interior: the quality look and feel is impeccable, it even smells good. All the little buttons and switches look very good, the interior doesn’t leave much to criticize, the leather quality seems also to be very good, nothing to complaint here.

There are however two little things which are perfect and need correction:

First, there is that Burmester loudspeaker cover frame which reflects in the frontshield almost all the time, making it a very annoying and not very welcomed „feature“. Second, there is the switch for opening the rear trunk which is placed in the door together with the switches for opening/closing the windows. I didn’t try the trunk switch while driving but it should definetely be deactivated when the car starts moving. Better: it should be placed somewhere else because when you open the window(s) while driving, you can’t really look what switch to press. Which brings me back to the very crowded switch placement in the door, this is not a very driver friendly solution in my opinion.

Like I said before, the interior looks nice and very classy. The driving position feels a bit low, almost sportscar like but I guess this is what the Porsche engineers actually wanted to accomplish and they did a good job.

After starting the engine, which starts with a short growl, the engine/exhaust note is barely noticeable, a little disappointment here. I switched immediately to the sport chassis/throttle settings because I wasn’t interested in comfort. Another disappointment here, the throttle response is not as good as I expected but this may be different with the optional Sport Chrono package. Unfortunately our testcar wasn’t equipped with it.

The ride feel is very comfortable, a huge surprise since I activated the sport settings before. Another, less enjoyable surprise, is the slightly too soft suspension setup, even in sport setting which lets the Panamera „nick“ a little bit when coming to a standstill or when starting to move slowly. I don’t know why Porsche has chosen this very comfortable setup but maybe it is different with the Sport Chrono package, I don’t know.

Overall, my first thought after driving a couple of kilometers, was: the Panamera Turbo feels like driving a lowered Cayenne Turbo. Not even close to a sportscar feel or the almost famous 911 drive feel. The Panamera 4S feels slightly more sporty but the feel of heaviness is also there. Surprisingly, this feel changes completely in sharp curves. The Panamera Turbo goes through sharp curves like a hot knife through butter, it feels very sport but not as direct and connected as a 997 Turbo for example. There is always a feel of softness which may be of advantage on the Nordschleife since the suspension setup isn’t too firm, keeping the car better on the pavement. Despite the feel of softness, the Panamera Turbo can be very fast in curves, the driving behaviour is very neutral and only if pushed very hard, it starts pushing over the front axle, creating some sort of understeer. Overall, the Panamera Turbo is an extremely safe car when driven fast and hard, it is very difficult to make mistakes but at the same time, a sensitive and experienced driver can actually feel how the electronic „samaritans“ are working in the background. It doesn’t bother me too much, on the contrary but it is something new to me.

The steering feel is also a little bit weird but I would lie if I’d say that I don’t like it. It allows the driver to go through curves very fast and precise but it seems to change stiffness to a programming which isn’t fully conclusive to me. It works well though, so maybe I just needed to get used to it.

Driving at around 200 kph on the Autobahn is very quiet, even the wind noise is barely hearable. The Burmester sound system works well, I listened to FM radio only and after choosing the „Live FM“ setting in the Burmester audio menue, I was enjoying a fantastic sound, very nice. I’m not sure how better the Burmester audio system is compared to the standard Bose system but if you are an audiophile of some kind, you should definetely choose the Burmester option.

The touchscreen of the navigation system works well, not as well as on the iPhone but definetely better than on other car brands with similar touchscreen displays.  I also liked the rear view camera a lot, it has a pretty usable wide angle lens but the image lacks a little bit of sharpness, so maybe Porsche should change to a higher resolution and/or a better camera. I also don’t like the position of the rear view camera: when I tried to manually open the rear trunk, I accidentally grabbed the camera instead.

Speaking of the rear trunk: the trunk space is surprisingly small in my opinion. In no way can it replace the trunk of the Cayenne for example, just a short remark regarding the fact that some Cayenne drivers are considering switching to the Panamera.

Which brings me to another interesting point: fuel consumption. The Panamera 4S had a fuel consumption of around 19 l / 100 km (mixed driving), the Panamera Turbo enjoyed one liter fuel more, making it 20 l / 100 km. Driving hard, the fuel consumption of the Panamera Turbo can easily pass 22-23 l / 100 km and more, there isn’t much of a difference compared to the Cayenne in my opinion.

Driving the Panamera Turbo is fun, although I would highly recommend the Sport Chrono package and the Sport Exhaust option. PDK works very well in auto mode, maybe a little bit too well because it really feels like the old Tiptronic in auto mode. In manual mode, PDK upshifts and downshifts very fast and it is much more fun than using the manual mode on the Tiptronic. I still can’t get used to the shifting buttons, I would love to see shifting paddles on the Panamera but I guess they will be optional sooner or later.

Speaking of driving fun: a very pleasant surprise is the acceleration from standstill in PDK auto mode. I just fully pressed the throttle and the Panamera Turbo instantly jumped forward, going off like a rocket without any traction problems. Real fun.

Not so much fun: even with sport mode active, the throttle isn’t too responsive in auto mode and shifting also feels a bit laggy, especially in the lower rev range.

I returned the Panamera Turbo with mixed feelings. I enjoyed driving it but I initially expected a more sporty and connected drive, not the comfort ride I finally experienced.

Don’t get me wrong, the Panamera Turbo is one of the sportiest limousines in is class and I bet that with Sport Chrono and 20’’ wheels, the ride gets stiffer and sportier, no doubt about it. Still, a little disappointment remains.

I my opinion, the Panamera Turbo is the limousine twin of the Cayenne Turbo. The driving feel is similar, I cannot find any proximity to 997 Turbo or even 997 Carrera drive feel/sportiness, sorry to say that. This doesn’t make the Panamera Turbo a bad Porsche, on the contrary, I was surprised how much I like it.

Would I buy the Panamera Turbo? Yes and no. It cannot replace a sportscar, this is for sure now and there is no argueing about it. The Panamera, even in its most powerful form, the Turbo, is a very impressive and surprisingly comfortable limousine but it doesn’t feel and drive in ANY way like a sportscar. The weight shows and although Porsche did a very good job to cover it, the success is limited by technical  and physical circumstances.

Choosing the Panamera over the Cayenne is a matter of personal taste and of course a matter of money since the Panamera is substantially more expensive than a similar equipped Cayenne. The fuel consumption is not much different, the drive feel is also surprisingly close one to each other and the trunk of the Cayenne is much bigger. On the other hand, the Panamera Turbo is faster even than the Cayenne Turbo S, so this actually would be a very good argument PRO Panamera.

The Panamera still „itches“ me, I still like it but this may look different when the next Cayenne generation shows up. Porsche engineering did a great job building a new product from scratch but they also can’t deny it that they used a lot of Cayenne based development experience in the process.

Make no mistake though: if you think you can replace your current 911 sportscar with the Panamera, even the Turbo, you’re making a huge mistake. If you’re looking for a Porsche with a more comfort oriented ride, the Panamera is the right Porsche for you. Just make sure you take an extensive testdrive before you order it, otherwise you could be disappointed, especially if you come from a 997 or even a Cayenne Turbo.

Finally, keep in mind that I own and drive a 997 Turbo and a first generation Cayenne Turbo S.  You need to read and understand this Panamera Turbo review from my point of view. If you’re coming from a Porsche Boxster or a Cayenne V6, the Panamera 4S will probably highly impress you. Coming from my driving background, the Panamera is just not enough to make me want it. You know...that special feeling little kids have: „I want, I want, I want...“. It is missing from the Panamera, even if I really could see myself in one.

panatt6.jpg 

panatt1.jpg

panatt7.jpg

panatt8.jpg

panatt9.jpg

panatt13.jpg

panatt11.jpg

panatt12.jpg

panatt14.jpg

panatt4.jpg

panatt2.jpg

panatt5.jpg

panatt10.jpg

panatt16.jpg

-

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: Rennteam's First Panamera TURBO Testdrive

Great balanced review!

--

Very informative and thorough - thanks RC

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Great write-up RC, thanks for sharing and glad you finally got the chance to drive the Panamera. So I guess you'd still consider a well-equiped Cayenne Turbo over a Panamera.

I was a bit surprised to read  "The Panamera 4S feels slightly more sporty", but then again Sport Chrono is definitely an option to have. And 19L/100 for the 4S ? Seems like quite a lot to me, and not that much different from the more powerful Turbo version.

This is an excellent review SmileySmileySmiley

Based on this I don't think the Panamera turbo will be right for me Smiley What I was hoping for was indeed a limousine that feels like a 997TT (or close to it). It appears that the Panamera cannot fulfill this expectation from a handling perspective but also suffers from various additonal "flaws" (indirect throttle response, too soft suspension setup, slaggish PDK response etc. etc.) Smiley

MKSGR:

This is an excellent review SmileySmileySmiley

Based on this I don't think the Panamera turbo will be right for me Smiley What I was hoping for was indeed a limousine that feels like a 997TT (or close to it). It appears that the Panamera cannot fulfill this expectation from a handling perspective but also suffers from various additonal "flaws" (indirect throttle response, too soft suspension setup, slaggish PDK response etc. etc.) Smiley

It could be different with the Sport Chrono package and 20'' wheels. I bet that Porsche left a little bit of "room" in the setup to make it possible to differentiate between cars with and without Sport Chrono. So therefore Sport Chrono is definetely a MUST, even if I didn't have the chance to drive it yet.

Regarding the exhaust note: I had the chance to listen to a 4S with sport exhaust, the difference is substantial. I would NOT order ANY Panamera without the sport exhaust, unless you really want it nice, quiet and cozy. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC, thanks for the thorough review. I believe too that the sport chrono is a must. Although the Sport button is standard on the Panamera even without the SC, SC offers Sport Plus mode.

A question for you please: Many reviewers complain that the low seating position makes the car appear very large around the driver and as a result it cannot be placed accurately on challenging B roads.Have you experienced that yourself?

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Nice write up RC, your impression is pretty much spot on with what I expected. It's a great car but it's no replacement for my CLS55.

That fuel consumption figures has to come down, I mean, I get around 16l/100km for my CLS55 and around 18-19l/100km for my ML63, that's already with a heavy foot, if I were to drive the Panamera Turbo, I will probably be looking at 23-24l/100km min.

I haven't seen the car in real life, but I gotta think my trunk in the CLS is bigger than it.

About the only advantage I see it over my CLS55 is the awd setup and the much much better interior, but is it worth double the price?

As it stand right now, I think I am keeping my Turbo and still is loolkng for another performance sedan.

Great,thanks RC!!!

Finally something credible to read about this all new car!

now post pics,it's time

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

Hi, Rc,

I'm very thankfull for your great and thorough review as I am actually have to decide between the new Cayenne and the new Pana.

--
    Kind regards, Conny
    More pics:
    http://www.dayboox.com/group/Connys%20Galerie

I don't think comparos to 911s are fair to this "whale car"  .

It should be compared to it's large 4 door sedan market rivals : AMG S Class, new Jag XJ Supercharged , Maser QPorte S, possible future " M"  BMW 7 series , next gen Audi S8, etc. No doubt the Panamera will be the sportiest , but at the end of the day , these are all comfortable , fast " limos" .

RC, thanks for your time and efforts posting your impressions here .

Market positioning aside , how does it feel from a pure driving perspective vs the usual two German " 4 door sports cars ", the M5 and the RS6 ? 

Very cool review Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

As always, great report Smiley , thanks for sharing Christian.

J.Seven

Btw: the photos haven't been photoshopped to change colour tone. It was really that blue and green, it looked beautiful.

--

MKW:

Market positioning aside , how does it feel from a pure driving perspective vs the usual two German " 4 door sports cars ", the M5 and the RS6 ? 

Compared to the M5 and the RS6, the Panamera Turbo feels much more comfortable and it also feels less sporty because of the mentioned lack of subjective ride stiffness. This impression may change however with the optional sport chrono package and the optional 20'' wheels, I can't say for sure.

I had mixed feelings with the Panamera Turbo: it is spectacular fast in curves, no doubt about it but on the other hand, it feels so soft and comfortable, it is really a weird feeling. Maybe this was actually the intention of development to develop a car with a smooth and soft ride which is still as fast as the competiton or even faster. The Panamera Turbo is also very very safe when driven hard, I wasn't able to produce any nasty reaction, it felt very safe all the time, even during extreme driving situations. The tires were also squeaking pretty often, something I never actually experienced in a Porsche, honestly. Usually my 997 Turbo oversteers heavily and the tires just start slipping but I never had tire squeak.

The equipped 19'' tires may be more comfort oriented, another possibility.

--

Based on your excellent write up, it appears Porsche has hit their mark. it was not designed to supplant or drive like a sport car. Its target market are people who find sport cars impractical and SUV's to big. To have a Porsche that fits between the extremes is a nice market niche.

Your report should give comfort to those looking for that in between.

--

The most likely customer is an intended AMG S class buyer ( who owns sports cars ) who insists on size,refinement, interior quality ,comfort and quiet to go along with massive straight line thrust , but who wishes it handled like an M5. Nothing else fits the bill like this car - too bad it looks like " an IV bag " as was posted elsewhere !

More Cayenne than 911... Too much compromise for 4 seats and small trunk. The Cayenne is better and cheaper, save the difference to get another toy IMHO... Like a Mini Cooper S

Great review and Nice pics~!

If I had a choice of a fleet four door car  WITH  a rear hatch AND  sedan ride height, I'd take an RS6 Wagon over the Panamera .

It's most annoying that the former is not avail in the US.

Excellent review!

If the next gen Cayenne Turbo is in fact much lighter, then its acceleration and trunk space may make it a better buy for family use over the Panamera Turbo.

--

Tim

2008 Cayenne Turbo

2006 911 Club Coupe #13

2006 BMW 530xi

Nice review RC! I had a chance to sit in the Panamera over here recently. Once again, I'm not won over in the looks, the rear and side profiles of the car looks extremely awkward. The front isn't bad, I quite like it.

I think they overcluttered the interior and the rear seats still give me that clausterphobic feeling. It is also rather cramped - to be honest, when sitting in the rear (with the tiny windows that are perched so high) I feel like I'm riding in a herse.

The new BMW ActiveHybrid 7 provides a pretty strong case against the Panamera, 455hp, 516lb-ft 0-60 4.8sec.

Quite a bit more room plus the halo effect of a hybrid with performance to boot.

I agree with black being the best color. Saw a Turbo yesterday and from the front it does have street presence! The black also hides the hunchback pretty well. I have high hopes for the new Cayenne and I would wait for that before buying a Panamera..

--
    993 Targa Black/Black

Thanks RC for the review. But is it just me... or I notice that you like more and more this ugly potato? Smiley So when you will buy the Turbo? I´m joking because I remember very well your reasons why you need the 5 seats in the car. I agree with you in two things: it is very very expensive, and it is way too heavy. But even a Panamera GTS like the Cayenne GTS I don´t think it will really fix the problem of the weight. Maybe an RS version?  I mean can anyone imagine a Panamera with a rollcage instead of the back seats, and carbon fibre doors and plastic rear window? So maybe an alluminium Panamera on the next generation?

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

I'm not going to go for the Panamera, simply because I can't afford it right now. Even if I could afford it, I would probably wait until I see the final next generation Cayenne Turbo before I make a final decision.

My 997 Turbo lease runs out in two years, so I need to wait that long before I can make a final buying/lease decision. Maybe this is a good thing.

I really like the Panamera, it is a surprisingly well built limousine and for the first Porsche of its kind, it is really marvelous. I just don't like the "hunchback"-styled rear but I could live with it if I wouldn't choose any other Porsche model like the Cayenne or the 911.

For those who don't like the Cayenne but need more interior/trunk space than in the 911, the Panamera is a great choice, even with that ugly rear.

I bet that the Panamera will make its way around Asia, the Middle East and maybe even in Europe and the US but I'm not sure that the weird rear part will find many lovers.

From a technological point of view, I consider the Panamera to be a masterpiece. From an exterior design point of view...well...not really my thing but one can get used to it....I guess.

Another thing is the price of the Panamera: a Panamera Turbo with my favorite option list would be around 175000 EUR. Ouch. For comparison: a Cayenne Turbo S with a similar option list would be around 155000 EUR, 20000 EUR less.

I know that in this price range, money shouldn't really play a role but it does for ME.

Here are two pictures of how I would order the Panamera Turbo or Cayenne Turbo S.

ctts.png

ptt.png
    --

Thanks for the write up. Very interesting and know that we ' know' you, one is quite able to get a good sence of the car .

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Great pic's and nice review. I think they did a fantastic job on the interior and I would love to see some of that style move into the next 911. I wish I could say the same for the exterior however. I think if I needed a vehicle in that segment I would pass on the Panamera for now.

Thanks for the write-up and pics.

Like Mike and Ed, I still find the ugliness of this car to be a killer for sales. Add in the fact that the rear seat has no room for pets or the 3rd child makes no sense and there are way too many buttons everywhere. Mixed up vehicle.

I will say again that the engine bay is the only good looking part, very good by today's standards.

even if a CTTS costs exactly the same as a Pana Turbo, I will still buy the CTTS for its better utility.

for the money of a Pana Turbo, I would rather buy a GT3 all day long and get a Cayenne V6 on the side.

--

Tim

2008 Cayenne Turbo

2006 911 Club Coupe #13

2006 BMW 530xi

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688941 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408901 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255615 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234875 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65453 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857722 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773673 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM