Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New PADDLES or old rocker BUTTONS???

Now that the long awaited paddles are here.. the question is, really.. which is better???Smiley

Porsche has surely presented us with an interesting alternative with the famous steering rocker buttons. 

Arguments stretching over dozens of forums and threads is a small part of customer feedback that twisted porsche's arms to launch this paddle system. It is like 'there you go.. here are the paddles you've been wanting just because bmw, audi, and the rest had nothing better to think of". Also, most new porsche owners re x-bmw or x-audi, so these paddles are important. 

I bet that porsche is still convinced that their copyright rocker button system is more superior. It is actually an interesting argument worth thinking of. Which is better? you can only decide if you try both for a long time (at least 3 months). 

actually it is not fair to say "old" about the rocker buttons, since it is a much newer technology than the paddles. 

I am on my second porsche with rocker buttons, and I have another car with paddles. I tell you with all confidence that my next turbo will probably not have the paddles. Coming out of a corner aggressively with upshifting/downshifting (while handling some drifting) is no joke if you don't have a tight grip on your steering. With the paddles, you continuously need to let go of a tight grip and reach the paddle. also, you may find yourself 'looking' for the paddles in such driving conditions. 

With the buttons, you are driving with a full steering grip with your index/thumb giving you full confidence to change to the right gear, when you need to! The only challenge is to get used to upshifting with you thumb and down shifting with you index. keep it memorized and you will feel the full CONTROL. 

--

MY09 C2S Atlas Grey, PDK, LSD, spacers, PSE

MY07 C2S Meteor Grey (Sold)

Re: New PADDLES or old rocker BUTTONS???

Got to disagree with you entirely. I've had the PDK Boxster S for a few months now and I still hate the stupid buttons on it. Had Porsche made one side push to go up and the other push to go down things would have been a lot better.

I'm amazed at your cornering statement about not been able to find the paddles. Just how fast are you driving on open roads with such severe steering angle applied that you can't find the paddle?? If you are winding on that much lock you either have to let go of the wheel and feed it through your palms, in which case you'll no longer be holding it with your thumbs next to the buttons, or drive with crossed arms in the classic race car driving style. I've driven my previous Gallardo's and my current Ferraris pretty hard but never had a problem not finding a paddle when I need to. It's not generally wise to change gear once in a  corner in my experience. Shift down before entry and shift up upon exit surely.

Got the paddles in my BMW. Immediate use and gratification.

Test drove PDK with buttons last time I got P-car service.

Up and down shifting and finger use are not right. Being a fickle consumer (aren't we all?) who uses public roads - I have ZERO interest in learning, or getting used to something which seems backwards for no good reason.

IF IF IF Porsche's way were better (public roads, remember?) I'd go along with it instantly.

Not going to own a buttoned PDK; ESPECIALLY since my bimmer, which is a second car, is paddled in a "correct" way.

Smiley

Maybe buttons __are__ a good theft deterrent. Thieves will see them and say, "Screw it! Too non-intuitive to immediately drive that car like I stole it." Smiley
    --
    2007 997 Turbo

MMD:

Maybe buttons __are__ a good theft deterrent. Thieves will see them and say, "Screw it! Too non-intuitive to immediately drive that car like I stole it." Smiley

SmileySmiley

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Anyone know how it is in a F1 car? Do I remember correctly that they have buttons and not paddles?

Eunice:

Anyone know how it is in a F1 car? Do I remember correctly that they have buttons and not paddles?

It's buttons but the paddle-lovers say that because the range of steering wheel movement of an F1 car is very small it doesn't matter

--

reginos:
    Eunice:

It's buttons but the paddle-lovers say that because the range of steering wheel movement of an F1 car is very small it doesn't matter

Early F1 cars with power-actuated shift systems had column-mounted paddles but it didn't matter then either, because those F1 cars also only needed one turn of the steering wheel from lock to lock. A road car needs more than 3 turns of the wheel from lock to lock.

--

fritz

Oh.., how about shifting on the console? Did that get changed too?

Please, like  God intended: is forward is _now_ a downshift and pulling back is an upshift?

--
    2007 997 Turbo

C2Nerves:

Now that the long awaited paddles are here.. the question is, really.. which is better???Smiley

Porsche has surely presented us with an interesting alternative with the famous steering rocker buttons. 

Arguments stretching over dozens of forums and threads is a small part of customer feedback that twisted porsche's arms to launch this paddle system. It is like 'there you go.. here are the paddles you've been wanting just because bmw, audi, and the rest had nothing better to think of". Also, most new porsche owners re x-bmw or x-audi, so these paddles are important. 

I bet that porsche is still convinced that their copyright rocker button system is more superior. It is actually an interesting argument worth thinking of. Which is better? you can only decide if you try both for a long time (at least 3 months). 

actually it is not fair to say "old" about the rocker buttons, since it is a much newer technology than the paddles. 

I am on my second porsche with rocker buttons, and I have another car with paddles. I tell you with all confidence that my next turbo will probably not have the paddles. Coming out of a corner aggressively with upshifting/downshifting (while handling some drifting) is no joke if you don't have a tight grip on your steering. With the paddles, you continuously need to let go of a tight grip and reach the paddle. also, you may find yourself 'looking' for the paddles in such driving conditions. 

With the buttons, you are driving with a full steering grip with your index/thumb giving you full confidence to change to the right gear, when you need to! The only challenge is to get used to upshifting with you thumb and down shifting with you index. keep it memorized and you will feel the full CONTROL. 

Left - down, right  - up is the only way to go.

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

reginos:
    Eunice:

Do you call these buttonsSmiley

These are paddles where I come fromSmiley

bmw f1 Steering Wheel 2.png

--

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

ISUK, i  cannot totally disagree with you. You have a point about  not being able to hold the buttons once you start crossing your arms. In this case, yes, I admit, the paddle will be easier to find rather than the buttons. Buttons are a part of the steering which you would have lost track of while cross armed!!!

i guess we have 2 distinct situations whereby each system has its disadvantage.

1-slight steering steering angles at high speed (which what I was refering to), when you  actually can shift up or down. At  high speed, i enjoy keeping a strong grip on the steering with both hands;on. In this case,  i wouldnt like to reach to a paddle and lose my grip.

2-wider steering angles at low speeds. Here, I admit that the paddles would be better. i get to reach to the paddle much easier when my steering turns to a cross hand level.

After trynig both, I personally  feel more in touch with my porsche because of the buttons. I guess its all about your grip and your driving style. Even if you are not a steering gripper, another advantage of the buttons is that you can shift up or down with either hand...

--

Video of an F1 wheel:

--

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

Paddles vs. buttons? Heck..., how 'bout some knobs and switches too?!

Here's some eye and brain candy!  

F1 Fake Porsche.jpg

--
    2007 997 Turbo

NOW THAT THE PADDLES ARE LAUNCHED...

PADDLES ARE NOT FIXED TO THE STEERING COLUMN, BUT ATTACHED TO THE STEERING JUST LIKE THE PDK BUTTONS. I.E THEY DO NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM OF LOOSING POSITIONING DURING STEERING LOCK.

THIS IS MAKING THIS NEW OPTION NOT AS INTERESTING AS I THOUGHT...

COMMENTS??

--

Personally, I've never had a problem with the PDK buttons in 9 months now. Some of the problems people say they have emanate from the fact that they were (or still are) using other cars with +/- paddles and switching between system might be hard for them.

In isolation the Porsche set-up is perfectly functional for me. On tight bends and hairpins the convenience of using either button is also very helpful. However, if someone is used to paddles(from BMW, Audi etc) then he might choose the new system. The direction of the buttons and the stick for up or down changes never got me confused either. However, if the car came with paddles only,I would have been equally happy with it and able to enjoy the drive.

By insisting that something is the wrong way or counter-intuitive etc, it is underestimating the ability of the human brain to adapt.

So IMO it's a matter of preference what someone chooses rather than a matter of huge differences in functionality.

--

Its not a matter of  "get used to it"; the paddle system is overwhealmingly more accepted than the buttons because the mayority (as we have seen in the press, the forums, etc) finds the paddles better, more intuitive, and more effective in performance driving, even in motorracing thats the case, therefore its Porsche who should adapt because they were wrong to give the PDK on the 911 buttons

The customer shouldn't be forced to adapt when there is a better solution already on the market. I for one I'm not used to using paddles, in fact I'm more used to using buttons as I drive a Cayenne fairly often, yet the buttons on the PDK were instantly a burden when sport driving because they got in the way when you didn't need them, were not as easy to access, were not as intuitive, etc. that did not happen as much when would test a car with paddles even from mile 0. I can only imagine with people used to the paddles on a day to day basis, and on sportcars, the paddles represent the ENTIRE market as far as secuentials go, except for Porsche with the new PDK, so Porsche should of realised that and should of thought also that if every maker chooses the paddles it must be for a reason.

--

I love using the gear shifter stick - the feedback is great - much better than the 'plasticky' buttons on the st. wheel.  However, if I were on a track, I would prefer using the buttons as my hands can then remain on the wheel.  I will definitely check out a car with paddles to see if I'm missing anyhthing by way of feedback.  If the paddles also feel placticky, then I won't bother changing my system.  I'm not one of the persons adversely affected by the 'wrong direction' of the buttons. 

But I would love it if all manufacturers would standardise the gear-shift system just like it is done with manual shifting.  And Thank God the position of the pedals is now standardised (can you imagine the confusion if some old manufactuers would have continued to make their cars with the accelerator pedal in the middle?!).

--

I agree that the material used and the feel of the buttons is not of high quality. This of course doesn't affect their functionality at all but nevertheless it reduces the pleasure of using them.

Another point is that the new paddles are not offered on a multifunction wheel (I cannot understand why) so people that use the car as a daily driver have to forgo this convenience. Strange the marketing department hasn'tthought about this one!

--

My answer is buttons. Paddles get tangled on tight corners. F1 cars are different as their st wheels move very little - full lock is less than 90deg.

This discussion is academic. The camp preferring paddles are country club drivers who drive most flat land straight roads. Whoever has experience on twisty mountain roads knows that the PAG button system is superior. There is never shifting confusion when the wheel is rotated 180deg in a tight corner, as opposed with paddles (even fixed paddles which are hard to reach in the heat of a fast tight corner). Those who drive fast understand. The others...

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S (ordered). Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

That would hold if it were only F1 the ones using buttons but truth is every other racing series including those that are based on street cars use unanimously the paddles, absolutely no one uses buttons, then there is also the fact that every other maker in the market has also chose the paddles for their secuenctials, so following that logic its the ones using buttons who are the "country club drivers" unless they know better than racing drivers and their engineers.

But rather personally my opinion, instead of generalising the drivers' abilities by their choice of buttons vs paddles, is that a few drivers actually feel better with the buttons, and they should choose buttons, and most drivers prefer the paddles, and they should be able to choose paddles and not be stuck with buttons. Each should choose what works best for them, I'm just glad that 911 driver's now have the option to choose, even though I preffer a manual myslef and would never go for the PDK on a 911.

--

I agree with that. PAG offers buttons and paddles. Customers choose what they like. I genuinely like the redundant buttons - I think they just work.

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S (ordered). Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

I agree with ADias argument on tight corners.

With the buttons you get to choose which hand to use. We do sometimes downshift on a tight corner especially going up a mountain. Can you imagin trying to reach the downshift(-) paddle when you are turning left with over 90degree steeirng?? ...but you can use your right hand to downshift if you had the buttons.

The hand holding the top part of the steering is always more flexible.  

--

also...should we presume that a car with paddles will get a better resale value in the future? 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764534 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436626 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261102 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258017 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82678 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876998 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809084 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM