Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Press Release: 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo...

Did someone say "exhaust tips?" My amygdala now firing wildly:

Except to leave room for a PSE I never understood the fabulous shape of the exhaust apertures. Seems like Porsche's kinda cheap not to have created a single port rear bumper.  They also went thru the trouble of re-tooling the stock PSE-optioned 997 rear bumper for a minor redesign for the TT intercooler vents, why oh why they didn't change the apertures for the exhaust tips is a nutcracker, ain't it? Smiley  I don't see no TT PSE?! Smiley

I'd prefer it as a _functional_ not decorative thing. IOW, BUY a PSE to avoid "posing," no PSE means you are stuck with BMW-ish fabulosity or fake quads. They should   look like this (try to see beyond the not-good photoshop) from a CGT.

exhaust correction oval to roundddddd corrected .jpg

--
    2007 997 Turbo

Wow, seeing Can's comparative pics of the 997.1 exhaust  tips versus the 997.2 exhaust tips really show how much larger the new exhaust tips are.  The new ones seem a bit large if you ask me, but perhaps they will wear on me in time...

--

2009 Porsche Turbo Cab - Cargraphic exhaust, HRE P40's charcoal

Ferdie:
    Whoopsy:

I only had one car poster ever [...]

So what was on the others, StarTrek or bikini girls? Smiley

If you must know, the others were a signed Jenna Jameson poster that I got when she just came out and still on the dancing circuit and a original Star Wars movie poster that I stole from the theater.

You were 'almost' right :) No Star Trek for me, Star Wars all the way.

reginos:

The worse feature of the 997 Turbos are the side intakes. Very large and industrial looking, suitable for a commercial vehicle.

+1 I was just thinking the same after seeing these 2 cars together.

I think GT3 looks better.

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

This is what I'm talking about: what the facelifted TT "should have."  AFAIK, When "Form Follows Function" Porsche orgasm is longer, more repeatable to and easier to attain. Smiley

Turbo 997.1 xxxwith fictional dual round tips on exhaust with gemb comp copy.jpg

--
    2007 997 Turbo

reginos:
    easy_rider911:

Maybe my taste is funny but I actually like the new Turbo II rims and also the RS Spyder rims as well. But taste is totally subjective...

If I were to choose I would prefer to get the new standard rims (the older ones I didn't like at all) and save the cost of the RS wheels (3.500 Euro!) for some other optional extra.

I agree. New wheels are nice IMO, I never like the previous ones, either.

I would have spent that 3500 Euro on the new diffrantial system (I don't know the name) and LSD.

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Whoopsy:
    Ferdie:

I'm also Star Wars fan; never liked Star Trek. Smiley

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

pride355:
    Whoopsy:
    Ferdie:

I'm also Star Wars fan; never liked Star Trek. Smiley

May the force be with you...

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I'M DISAPPOINTED GUYS!  IT'S PRATICALLY THE SAME AS THE 997........!!!!!!!!!

THIS CHOICE IS REALLY ABSURD!!!  NO COMMENT..............

WHICH OWNER OF THE 997  WOULD BUY THIS ONE????  

AHAHAHAH.,.... AT THE PORSCHE THEY REALLY SCREWED IT UP!!! 

berfes:

you better duck, dude......

Interesting exhaust comparison, thank you. If the 997.2 exhaust tips are too large - I tend to agree, almost cartoon like - you can certainly say the apertures in the 997.1 are too large which makes the exhaust tips look a bit whimpy. The 997.2 had better sound good, though of course we know it probably will not.

Porsche design is all over the place. Whatever they do, there are details which grate. Whether it's the absurdity of having to have the chrono clock thing in order to have the functionality which comes with it, the ghastly new steeering wheel or the piggy-eye fog lights, I do not know what Porsche are doing. they seem incapable of updating the classic 911 design without messing it up while elsewhere, they throw in 911 styling cues to make someone driving a Panamera thing he's driving a 911. He's not.

I'm pleased the RS Spyder wheels are here even though they cost. I never liked the 997.1 ones and I don't like the 997.2 standard ones.

So why I'm pleased with the scope of the facelift - and it is only a facelift remember, designed to slot in easily to the existing line - there's some I do not like. Then factor in the new that Porsche is now definitely going to lose its independence to VW and it's a sad day.

Fiat have always kept their hands off Ferrari but I doubt VW will do the same, witness the poaching of the Lamborghini engine for the Audi R10.

bvineyards:
    berfes:

you better duck, dude......

Look out! AWGGGGGHHHHHH!

1250224832652fly swatter.jpg

--
    2007 997 Turbo

MarkN:

Interesting exhaust comparison, thank you. If the 997.2 exhaust tips are too large - I tend to agree, almost cartoon like - you can certainly say the apertures in the 997.1 are too large which makes the exhaust tips look a bit whimpy. The 997.2 had better sound good, though of course we know it probably will not.

Porsche design is all over the place. Whatever they do, there are details which grate. Whether it's the absurdity of having to have the chrono clock thing in order to have the functionality which comes with it, the ghastly new steeering wheel or the piggy-eye fog lights, I do not know what Porsche are doing. they seem incapable of updating the classic 911 design without messing it up while elsewhere, they throw in 911 styling cues to make someone driving a Panamera thing he's driving a 911. He's not.

I'm pleased the RS Spyder wheels are here even though they cost. I never liked the 997.1 ones and I don't like the 997.2 standard ones.

So why I'm pleased with the scope of the facelift - and it is only a facelift remember, designed to slot in easily to the existing line - there's some I do not like. Then factor in the new that Porsche is now definitely going to lose its independence to VW and it's a sad day.

Fiat have always kept their hands off Ferrari but I doubt VW will do the same, witness the poaching of the Lamborghini engine for the Audi R10.

Hi Mark,

If it's me you were thanking, you're welcome. I am nutty about my Turbo baby, and about Porsche, but will pull no punches when I see flaws.
    I agree with you, that the oval tip of 997.1, funny enough, now looks small. But, bottom line: Exhaust tip is meant to be ROUND and the designer of both 997.1 and 997.2 tips should be fired.

And unfortunately I am 99% certain the stock exhaust won't sound good. The turbo muffles the sound, plus there are noise, emission, etc., constraints, so your stock car will sound like a loud Lexus. This could be very easily changed; check out Cargraphic in my signature. Not only will it sound better, but by reducing back pressure, it will improve performance as well.

Did you order a 997.2? If so, congratulations. Which one did you order? PDK or manual? We are all nit picking the car to death here but mark my words: The 997.2 Turbo with PDK will be a stupendously fast car with ring time that will put my 997.1 Turbo and many other world class sport cars to shame. The combination of PDK with Turbo is a match made in heaven as there will be no drop in boost and power will be uninterrupted. Passengers WILL want to jump out of this car at WOT Smiley.
    If you like automatic, this PDK is an absolute no brainer.
    For manual die-hard like me, PDK is a tough choice. So fast, but will it "feel" good?

I don't think PDK 997.2 Turbo will be ECU-tunable, but it will be so fast there is a reasonable chance you won't need to.
    I believe Manual 997.2 Turbo will be ECU-tunable since when there is a will (the will is the $ sign), there will be a way. Either way, PDK or manual, I am somewhat envious of the 997.2 Turbo owners Smiley, especially the ones with PDK.

I don't like the RS Spyder wheel because of that CL system. I am suspicious of how user-friendly it will be at the track, or when you have a flat. It's the nicest OEM wheel, but the HRE P40 is a better design and a 3D work of art compared to the flat RS Spyder design.

More specifically, Buddha only knows why Porsche seems to target the Turbo, and only the Turbo in the 911 family, as recipient of some of the most dubious and cheesy components:
    1. Oval exhaust tip. Why oh why.
    2. Horrible stock wheel of 997.1 Turbo with multiple slats and shiny finish.
    3. CHROME Turbo badge. Come on, Porsche! Chrome?
    4. The golf ball front lights. Lord have mercy.
    That said,  in the end, with a little mod, I wouldn't say that I am unhappy with what greets me every morning. The Turbo nuclear power plant is a once-in-a-lifetime must-try, and I am indeed star-struck every time I see her. Smiley Smiley

08AE9843-6 TECHART RED SUBST.jpg
    --

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

cannga:

I don't think PDK 997.2 Turbo will be ECU-tunable, but it will be so fast there is a reasonable chance you won't need to.
    I believe Manual 997.2 Turbo will be ECU-tunable since when there is a will (the will is the $ sign), there will be a way. Either way, PDK or manual, I am somewhat envious of the 997.2 Turbo owners Smiley, especially the ones with PDK.

Rumour is that because of the interaction between PDK and the Variable Geometry turbines in terms of software the Turbo PDK won't be tunable by outside tuners. I am not sure if the reason is difficulty in breaking the coding. Smiley

Of course OTOH the rumour could be totally unfounded!

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Can, thanks for your comments. Yes, I have a deposit down on a 997.2, moving on from a much loved 996 TT.

Will definitely be going for PDK + RS Spyder Wheels + Sport Chrono + Torque Vectoring and I'm hoping that will give a sharper responses to disguise the weight of the car; mind you, my other daily driver is a Mercedes SL55 which redefines "wooly" handling. As for how will it will feel, I like the PDK on the other cars, the paddles should make it better, providing they have a good spring action

I think these are the important driving options but they are adding 10% to the car price already. The opions list is long and expensive - painted this, painted that, so I'll keep it cosmetically simply with a few driving aids like rear wiper and cruise control.

No firm word on delivery; on the one hand, the dealer is saying "one of the first", on the other, he's saying "hopefully by March".

I enjoyed reading your post cannga  Reminded me of 69bossnine

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

@ Cannga:

Exhaust supposed to be round? Hell, the 996 tt exhaust tips belong to the best looking in the world to me...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Shut up!! Is the SAME car. . .Smiley

Does porsche have problems when it comes to inreasing horsepower 50hp+ ?

--

http://i28.tinypic.com/166k5zo.png

berfes:

I guess that's why it's still called the 997 Turbo? Smiley

Don't know why you should be complaining. You finally got the puddles you've asking about for the last few years. Smiley

--

fritz

In fact is th 997 turbo...

About the puddles:  do you really think that those are real puddles....???  Have you tried to use those new paddles???? 

At Porsche they are really crazyyyy... too much beer I think...!!!! 

fritz:

Don't know why you should be complaining. You finally got the puddles you've asking about for the last few years. Smiley

hahahaha,right!!!Smiley

Berfes be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Smiley

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

Spec'd my car at the dealer today, easy to add 15% without even trying. Also got the news my 996 turbo needs $6k of work (supposedly) - leaking radiators, damaged under-tray, air con service, corroding heat shields. Did I hear someone mention "German Quality"? Time to move it on.

Good news is the paddle wheel looks much better than the red horror in the promo video. Here's a picture off the configuration web-site:

detail_840_997420[1].jpg

If you're interested, gone for Aqua blue, grey natural leather, supposedly no 4 in the UK. Hoping it beats the tax rise at year end.

MarkN:

Spec'd my car at the dealer today, easy to add 15% without even trying. Also got the news my 996 turbo needs $6k of work (supposedly) - leaking radiators, damaged under-tray, air con service, corroding heat shields. Did I hear someone mention "German Quality"? Time to move it on.

Leaking radiators are due to road debris piercing them.

Undertray damage,  you must have ran over something Smiley

Corroding heat shields, blame your motorway maintenance's salt and your bad weather Smiley

None of the above related to quality IMO.

If your car wasn't german it wouldn't need these repairs because you would have scrapped it long time ago Smiley

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:
    MarkN:

Leaking radiators are due to road debris piercing them.

Undertray damage,  you must have ran over something Smiley

Corroding heat shields, blame your motorway maintenance's salt and your bad weather Smiley

None of the above related to quality IMO.

If your car wasn't german it wouldn't need these repairs because you would have scrapped it long time ago Smiley

Agreed. Smiley

A radiator, AC service, minor underside damage, heat shield replacement, no big deal as far as initial build quality and a 5 year old car (or older?) is concerned. I think the us$6K is what's bugging our friend. Would bug me too, but..., hey..., we all knew what we were getting into, right?

Smiley

--
    2007 997 Turbo

You're right of course, but with the prospect of the new car arriving in 3 months, there's clearly no point in pouring more money into the old one. Sell it on and let someone have the hassle of dealing with it. I'll take a hit on resale of course.

MarkN:

You're right of course, but with the prospect of the new car arriving in 3 months, there's clearly no point in pouring more money into the old one. Sell it on and let someone have the hassle of dealing with it. I'll take a hit on resale of course.

Yeah..., maybe bite the bullet do a trade in and get it outta your mind and life. You know...,  the *new* car will cause a welcomed combination of euphoria and amnesia. Smiley

--
    2007 997 Turbo

MarkN:

Good news is the paddle wheel looks much better than the red horror in the promo video. Here's a picture off the configuration web-site:

detail_840_997420[1].jpg

If you're interested, gone for Aqua blue, grey natural leather, supposedly no 4 in the UK. Hoping it beats the tax rise at year end.

This is much better! In fact, best of the 997 steering wheels so far IMO. I am glad it's silver instead of that shiny finish & wish that black part could be hollowed-out, but this is a step in the right direction.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein Damptronic ( Review ) + GIAC ECU Tune ( Fast as a torpedo & reversible to stock - Review ) + Cargraphic Exhaust ( Oh heavenly noise! )

MarkN:

Can, thanks for your comments. Yes, I have a deposit down on a 997.2, moving on from a much loved 996 TT.

Will definitely be going for PDK + RS Spyder Wheels + Sport Chrono + Torque Vectoring and I'm hoping that will give a sharper responses to disguise the weight of the car; mind you, my other daily driver is a Mercedes SL55 which redefines "wooly" handling. As for how will it will feel, I like the PDK on the other cars, the paddles should make it better, providing they have a good spring action

I think these are the important driving options but they are adding 10% to the car price already. The opions list is long and expensive - painted this, painted that, so I'll keep it cosmetically simply with a few driving aids like rear wiper and cruise control.

No firm word on delivery; on the one hand, the dealer is saying "one of the first", on the other, he's saying "hopefully by March".

Are you not ordering PCCB? If budget is an issue, or you track the car, or are not keeping it for more than 3-4 years, then never mind. Otherwise, I would highly recommend it.

As far as the options, LOL, we've all been through the same thing. The shopping (and price) list goes up quickly. But... if you are going to keep the car a long time, I would suggest to OVER-order options. Smiley You won't regret over-ordering, but under- you will.  It's not fun to get the car and keep wishing for something you hadn't ordered.

--

Regards,
    Can

Easy,
    Thank you & the reverse is true. I enjoy reading your posts. And 69bossnine's. Is he not posting regularly anymore?

Joost,
    If 996 exhaust is not round, then THAT designer should be fired too!
    There is just no reason for an exhaust tip to be any shape but round. There are always exceptions, but serious cars have round tips what, 99% of the times? And thanks a lot MY turbo just has to be "different."
    But I know,  it's just my personal preference and pet peeves; so pay no mind to the comment if you like the oval.

--

Regards,
    Can

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690944 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410104 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256164 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235390 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65739 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858765 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775068 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM