Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997.2 Turbo info thread

Ziggy:

Kreso,

why did you go for the 997.2 Turbo instead of the R8 V10?

• 997.2 turbo better as daily driver since you have the 458 Italia as week-end toy?
    • 997.2 Turbo rear-engined which will better complement the mid-engined 458 Italia?
    • 997.2 turbo simply better car than R8 V10?
    • 997.2 turbo expected to be significantly cheaper than R8 V10 with the options you would chose for both?

Answers...

1. Yes. Usable everyday by my wife also.

2. Yes.

3. No. The same league. Just, currently DCTs are a must for any decent sportscar.

4. Hmm... Actually yes. 997.2 Turbo PDK is in my specs around 12K Euro cheaper then R8 V0 manual in my specs. But, this is not decision making factor.

For ME 458 Italia and 997.2 Turbo PDK compliment each other the best way possible.

Thanks.

reginos:
    STRADALE:

What I said had nothing to do with "priorities". I never said those were "priorities"....... 

I mentioned those intangibles because  when you talk about cars (911 Turbo's/8 cyl F-cars) being "more than the sum of their parts", being more than what you see on a spec sheet or performance chart that's EXACTLY what intangibles are all about. My opinion after owning numerous Ferrari's & Porsche's is actually the opposite of yours, and I'm not biased just being honest. There's plenty of times where I take the side of Porsche over Ferrari, there's many things I like much more about my 997 vs the 430  but again when it comes to being "more than the sum of it's parts" that is the epitome of Ferrari!............. I think it's something that really has to be experienced as a owner to be understood... And I'd bet most people with both 911's & 8 cyl F-cars right now probably feel the same way.............. But I agree with you about there not being a wrong or right.

STRADALE, I understand and appreciate your points about the passion and excitement the Ferrari generates and the sensuous pleasure of owning and driving these machines.

However, if someone's priority is for a very fast, robust and reliable charismatic sportscar that this person can use whenever he wants and even daily, whatever the weather or the road conditions,do high mileage and without breaking the bank in the process, then there is only one machine, Porsche.

Some lucky people like you can have both (and God bless you) so the dilemma is non-existent but most of us have to make choices depending on our priorities. That was the point I tried to make about priorities.

As regards the "more than the sum of its parts" debate, I looked at it in a different way: Ferraris are exotic supercars with all that this entails. However, humble Porsches (just well engineered and well made sportscars on the fringes of mainstream) can equal and sometimes exceed Ferrari's on-road and on-track performance without any of the fanfares the fuss and the hype associated with the legendary "cavallino".

So I understand your comparison - What Ferrari's have you owned to compare vs your Porsche?

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet, 06 Ferrari F430,  04 Durango HEMI,  04 Harley Davidson Screamin Eagle,  93 Harley Davidson Nostalgia

STRADALE:

So I understand your comparison - What Ferrari's have you owned to compare vs your Porsche?--

I haven't owned any, for the reasons i have already outlined.

However, I am in a circle of friends who are Ferrari fans and have owned anything from early 328 GTB to Modenas and F430s. I've driven their cars and I am very well acquainted with the pros and cons of the Ferrari marque.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

RAKLAW:

After Selling My 06 911S Cab w/ X51 and cancelling my deposit on a 2010 997.2Turbo in favor of a 430F1 Spider I now own, I must agree with Stradale.. There is no driving sensation comparable to a modern Ferrari ....period.

Smiley

But if I told you about those "driving sensations" prior to owning your Spider would you understand what I was talking about? 

And I dont care what some people say you don't really experience a car fully unless you've owned it for a while.  Test drives, driving a friends car etc. isnt the equivalent.

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet, 06 Ferrari F430,  04 Durango HEMI,  04 Harley Davidson Screamin Eagle,  93 Harley Davidson Nostalgia

reginos:
    STRADALE:

So I understand your comparison - What Ferrari's have you owned to compare vs your Porsche?--

However, I am in a circle of friends who are Ferrari fans and have owned anything from early 328 GTB to Modenas and F430s. I've driven their cars and I am very well acquainted with the pros and cons of the Ferrari marque.

Got it. So you're arguing with me about the intangibles / driving dynamics of Porsche vs Ferrari re: being "more than the sum of it's parts" but you haven't owned a Ferrari.

Of course., I knew that was coming.....  Let me ask you this - If you never owned a Porsche do you think you would fully appreciate all the things you now appreciate about your Porsche by test driving a friends car? Come on...

--

STRADALE:
    reginos:
    STRADALE:

Got it. So you're arguing with me about the intangibles / driving dynamics of Porsche vs Ferrari re: being "more than the sum of it's parts" but you haven't owned a Ferrari.

Of course., I knew that was coming.....  Let me ask you this - If you never owned a Porsche do you think you would fully appreciate all the things you now appreciate about your Porsche by test driving a friends car? Come on...

--

+1. The whole point about Rennteam is feedback from real owners.

STRADALE:

the sounds of the engine & exhaust, the smell of the leather and interior quality. The beauty of the design.  The overall balance & feel of the car on the open highway, response in the higher rev,s,, how the Ferrari first starts to get it's legs once really pushed & turns into a different animal on the open highway. When pushed how everything about the car's engineering seems to comes together with a preordained purpose......The things you cant capture on spec sheets or performance logs.  The things that make it "more then the sum of it's parts".

I agree on that and feel happy that there are still these varying types of cars out there. Smiley

KresoF1:

3. No. The same league. Just, currently DCTs are a must for any decent sportscar.

[...]

For ME 458 Italia and 997.2 Turbo PDK compliment each other the best way possible.

Kreso,

I am very surprised that you dropped out of your R8 order, remembering your comments about keeping this car for a long term. Do I understand you correctly that the lack of DKG/DSG is one of the main reasons you are missing out on the Audi?

Anyways, great choices nonetheless!

STRADALE:
    reginos:
    STRADALE:

Of course., I knew that was coming.....  Let me ask you this - If you never owned a Porsche do you think you would fully appreciate all the things you now appreciate aout your Porsche by test driving a friends car? Come on...--

STRADALE, you are one of the lucky few that can have the best of both worlds. But given my priorities and the fact that I cannot have both, I stick to my choice between the two. And you don't have to sample every single thing in life to know about it or have your preference or make your choice. Someone else might sway the other way; fair enough. Anyway, we have exhausted the subject. Thanks for the exchange of views Smiley

--

reginos:
    STRADALE:
    reginos:
    STRADALE:

Of course., I knew that was coming.....  Let me ask you this - If you never owned a Porsche do you think you would fully appreciate all the things you now appreciate aout your Porsche by test driving a friends car? Come on...--

STRADALE, you are one of the lucky few that can have the best of both worlds. But given my priorities and the fact that I cannot have both, I stick to my choice between the two. And you don't have to sample every single thing in life to know about it or have your preference or make your choice. Someone else might sway the other way; fair enough. Anyway, we have exhausted the subject. Thanks for the exchange of views Smiley

Never said anything about a Ferrari being a better choice for you or your priorities, that wasn't part of the subject. You don't have to sample SOME things in life "to know about it" but when saying one car is "LESS" than the "sum of it's parts" it would certainly help if the person actually owned the car/s he's referring to.    

If I had to pick just one, I'd side with you & pick the Porsche too, I've said that already here. But again, that wasn't part of the topic you brought up.  

Cheers! Smiley

--

Ferdie:
    KresoF1:

[...]

Kreso,

I am very surprised that you dropped out of your R8 order, remembering your comments about keeping this car for a long term. Do I understand you correctly that the lack of DKG/DSG is one of the main reasons you are missing out on the Audi?

Anyways, great choices nonetheless!

No. R8 V10 is great car, just 458 Italia is simply said way better. I wanted mid engine sportscar in the first place and honestly 458 Italia fullfills all my needs in that department.

997.2 Turbo PDK is excellent as well...

DCT a must for true sportscar? NO. Just, I like idea about very sporty DCT in 458 Italia(top speed is in seventh gear BTW).

KresoF1:

Isn't this supposed to be announced any day now?

Do you have any latest info?

--

reginos:
    KresoF1:

Isn't this supposed to be announced any day now?

Do you have any latest info?

Someone said August 7th. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

My local salesman says that the US dealer network has all the 997.2 TT information and that the embargo ends 8/7/09, presumaby w/ the official Porsche press release.

--
    Carpe Diem

DaveC:

My local salesman says that the US dealer network has all the 997.2 TT information and that the embargo ends 8/7/09, presumaby w/ the official Porsche press release.

I am waiting to hear the official WR NBR time.

Also I wonder if

the PDK will be set up any differently to the Carrera,

a PSE and a Sport PASM will be offered.

the over-boost function will be further enhanced

and how the PTM will be changed.

Porsche have to come up with improvements to be on top of their game again.

--

Absolutely - we all wait for the details to understand if the car is a big step ahead or just restyling and 998 Turbo will be a real breakthrough

997.2 Turbo is from technical point of view just upgrade from current 997 Turbo. PDK is add and PTM recalibrated(just that-not redisigned in any way).

It will be great car, BUT to repeat again 458 Italia is really in all different class.

Hi guys, 

saw the 997.2 Turbo yesterday parked next my car and took a closer look at it. Few min later the driver appeared and mentioned that the car is going to be outstanding. infos and specs will be released next week he said. The car had PDK and interesting looking shifting lights on top of the steering wheel (Airbag flat). For this reason, he had it covered when parked in the public garage. Pretty cool new Turbo wheels too...

Enjoy! Greets rantanplan

IMG_0095.jpgIMG_0097.jpgIMG_0098.jpg1249374913029IMG_0096.jpg

--
    997 GT3 clubsport

Great catch - Thanks for the pics.

Blueflame

Thanks for the shots rantaplan,seems good the new rims!!

the rest seems the same..

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

thats true, the car looks very much like the previous one. However, the driver said its crazy how many new things the car will bring and its performance is supposed to be upgraded a lot too! 

apparently they will post the infos about specs next week...

--
    997 GT3 clubsport

KresoF1:

It will be great car, BUT to repeat again 458 Italia is really in all different class.

The 458 Italia is IN a different class? I would say it is A different class of automobile. It is an exotic car (very expensive to buy and keep, extreme design, limited numbers, rare sight on the roads, extreme emotions and sensuous involvement etc).

The Turbo is a functional sportscar with which you can do all your commuting and travelling whatever the weather or the roads and park it anywhere in the world without having any trouble. That the Turbo can be as fast and competent as the Ferrari on the road and track, is a great achievement for Porsche and a great bonus for the buyer.

--

Thanks for sharing the pics rantanplan

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

rantanplan:

Hi guys, 

saw the 997.2 Turbo yesterday parked next my car and took a closer look at it.

Hey, the Punto is yours? Smiley

Thanks for the information, apart from the shifting lights, is the PDK interface set up as on the other models?

Tks for the pics.

Still a PDK lever, totally useless in a modern car. When will Porsche learn...

I don`t  like that chrome style wheels....

I would definitely prefer the RS Spyder wheels!!!

Hello,im new here!

Great pics rantanplan,thank you.

I don´t like the new rims too.

Scifrog,i think  PDK lever is not useless.Its more easy/friendly to use than buttons.

Hi rantanplan! Thanks and all due respect for posting the new pics! Smiley

It seems that they are being quite careful to keep the steering wheel under wraps because the new 997 Turbo Gen2 PDK will finally have paddles!!!

Smiley

Notice the new clear tail lights. J.Seven

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777207 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441699 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262779 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260951 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85223 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5568 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880655 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815942 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM