Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Jaguar XJ

What do you think of the new shape Jaguar XJ. Different looks after 40 years or so. Do you think it's a good change of styling direction?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Jaguar-XJ-Series/241393/

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Re: New Jaguar XJ

Have to see it in person. My impression seems to change from picture to picture. The first shot is really impressive, very sleek and I love the tail lights. Front is so so- sort of looks like a Lexus. The back looks akward with a low angle shot- but that's a very unusual perspective and shouldn't matter in real life unless you crawl on the floor to look at your car. The typical Jag look is gone however, it lacks that British flair- whether that's good or not we will see.

Lacks originality... Could be a Lexus...

i think both the front and the back look detached, theres no harmony throughout the car. i like the front better, very close to the front on the C-XF concept from 2007, the back just doesnt do it for me. all this aside it has lost some of its britishness and elegance, i liked that the old XJ looked, well old. it was part of its pedigree and its flare, history and tradition.

I like it... apart from those.. blackened C pillars...

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

Citroen like or Lancia like, IMO

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

A lot more pics and a press release.

http://www.netcarshow.com/jaguar/2010-xj/

From some angles absolutely perfect. Interior is simply stunning.

Optional audio - 1200W and 20 speakers. That apparently tops Bentleys Naim, Panameras Burmester and Audis BO.

jags version of the CLS. I'll wait to i see it in person.

I did see a jag XF in black last week go by and it looked respectable. 

Truly woeful IMHO. I also dislike the XF which to my eyes at least is a rehashed Lexus. Ian Callum's designs are not cohesive and Jaguar need to get a new design director PDQ. Porsche must be smiling as this makes the Panamera look attractive.

The front end is incredibly bulbous and somewhat bizzarely the lights from the XF concept, which would have made the XF at least pallatable but were ruled out on cost grounds, seem to have made it onto this Citroen C6 pastiche.

The more I look at the nose the more it reminds me of a whale with those low set eyes Smiley

mv:

A lot more pics and a press release.

http://www.netcarshow.com/jaguar/2010-xj/

From some angles absolutely perfect. Interior is simply stunning.

Optional audio - 1200W and 20 speakers. That apparently tops Bentleys Naim, Panameras Burmester and Audis BO.

B&W sound system, right? I wonder what HiFi manufacturer comes next. Smiley

Concerning the rest of the car: I like the front, not sure about the side view, dislike the rear. Smiley

Interior is nice though. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

The interior has elements from so many other cars it's hard to know where to begin. The cocktail bar backlighting of controls looks odd against some colours. I suspect that this car's styling is going to date very quickly indeed.

XJ interior.JPG

Looks like a Citroen C6 from the back.

Hardly ground breaking though. Nothing that hasn’t been done before.A panamera will put this is the shade.

You really can tell a lot about a car by its launch. The new XJ was a celebrity feast while the launch of the panamera was all about the driving experience. Tells you a lot about the intended audience for these cars

Ugly to me. Looks like Mybach rear and Volvo front...

--
    05' C4S

Nice interior, awful exterior. Looks more and more like a Ford plastic box

janus:

Citroen like or Lancia like, IMO

+1.. I wanted to say that from the rear it looks like the C6 from Citroen!!!

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

I expected much more ... Interior is nice , but exterior is disappointment...

And this car is supposed to 'save' Jaguar?!  A company losing £1 million per day!

I don't think so...

--

Click for bigger picture!

The front is very nice, but the rear is more suited on the Citroen than a Jag!

The interior won't suite the desired audience IMO.

It looks too busy and to much as a sport car...

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

I don't know- I like some of the details of the interior - but overall it looks like very American to me and for a quintessential English car that's not a good trait to have. It may look good in a Mustang, but a Jag?

Pimped up retro is what comes to mind. It may have all the right ingredients and it has this motorboat feeling which is kind of cool, but it's just like one of those yachts where the interior is way too flashy. A Jag is about understatement, but when I see that interior I sort of expect 24 inch chrome wheels and blue floor lighting.

Tim:

A Jag is about understatement, but when I see that interior I sort of expect 24 inch chrome wheels and blue floor lighting. 

That will come as an extra. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

The XJ is supposed to be THE Jaguar. Unfortunately they have kept the old 60s shape for too long without significant evolution (like BMW or Mercedes have done with their flagships) and suddenly they jump into something completely different that is a mish mash of styles and borrowed elements.

This body might be OK for other emerging brands, but not for Jaguar.

--

i dont like the look at all... for me they messed up... the front and the rear have two opposite style. looks like two cars welded together.

--
    09 Ferrari 430 Scuderia

dhayek:

i dont like the look at all... for me they messed up... the front and the rear have two opposite style. looks like two cars welded together.

+1

--

1986 BMW 325e 5spd 2.7L 121 hp (172 lb·ft) Cosmos Blau on Tan leather.
    2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd 2.0L 136hp (120lb-ft) CD silver on grey (sold)
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd 2.5L 150hp (168lb-ft) champagne gold on grown leather. (sold)

Two videos for a more complete impression:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=241443&CT=V

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=241452&CT=V
    --

I seem to be in a minority but I do think it is truly inspirational, not so much because the design itself is "beautiful", but there is an elegance that goes straight against the Germanic version of the word, in my mind anesthetised and comparable to so many designs of theirs (how many times can Audi reinterpreted their interior and exterior, BMW forever update the same models using the same parts across the board, Mercedes is just on the right side of good / boring but still nothing to shoot about when you drive them).

Again, elegance as a word has lost its meaning in cars, neither Porsche nor Ferraris are there, even AM who found a vein cannot seem to deviate from this language 10 years on.

So taken as a whole, a bit like the Lancia Thema and Maserati Quattroporte which themselves have elegance and presence but no real beauty (my take and obviously not so much for the Lancia!), this is different, and is likely going to be very colour dependent due to its contrasting rear part, and refreshing in a market with no fresh twist.

It would be interesting to get a breakdown of views per age group, I am pretty sure Jaguar has forcefully been pushing for their cars to appeal to a much younger generation than before.  

XF looks better than the XJ to me.  They should have followed the lead of their counterparts in Gaydon and just taken the same styling queues that work and use them over and over again than to depart too far and end up with this.

--
    2007 997TT Blk/Blk 2007 X3 Sil Gry/Taupe 2002 E46 M3 Slvr/Blk (gone)

I can't say I like it (what the heck, why do limousines have to look so weird...the Panamera is another good example?) but I like the new and very powerful supercharged Jaguar engine which they use in all their models, incl. the Range Rover.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I don't think Jaguar should expect too many conquest sales from the german cars with this new XJ.

Moreover, they are in danger of losing some of their existing clientele with this new style. I just can't see many "olde boys" driving this car to the country club.

--

JAG007:

[...] this is different, and is likely going to be very colour dependent due to its contrasting rear part, and refreshing in a market with no fresh twist.

It would be interesting to get a breakdown of views per age group, I am pretty sure Jaguar has forcefully been pushing for their cars to appeal to a much younger generation than before.  

I agree with you. For some reason, European brands tend to adopt the influences of certain markets, primarily Asian and Indian. Striking in regards of the XJ is the interesting packaging, while all direct predecessors featured common proportions with long and low front and rear overhangs, the new XJ seems to resemble some design ideas introduced with the Jaguars of the 50´s and 60´s such as the old S-type. Could it be that those are the models that Jaguar became famous with on emerging markets? Or does today´s customer group prefer these models´ design language over the XJ´s?

Just as on the Panamera, this car has to be seen in reality since it does not excel by graphical element but by unique and controversial packaging. Still, this would not make me buy one... Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761452 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434800 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260202 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257355 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80842 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5315 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871646 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806935 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM