Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: GT3 Tour and Tune Motor Trip

My wife and I were in London this April so I had the opportunity to visit Jon Oakley's shop with George. I was trying out a new HD mini-camera and the result is this short video, in which Jon demonstrates the sequential shifter installed in his car.

I know George is very busy these days so I thought I would go ahead and post something from the trip, in anticipation of George's recount :-)

--
    Costas

Nice , is it clutchless??

No. The clutch stays. I understand the kit replaces the mechanical connection between the standard shifter and the gearbox, with an electronic one.

--
    Costas

Aviator:

No. The clutch stays. I understand the kit replaces the mechanical connection between the standard shifter and the gearbox, with an electronic one.

Does that mean you do not gain a speed advantage with the system?

Hmm.. I can't say for certain Eunice. I think Jon mentioned that gear shifts are quicker but this would not be in the sense of a gearbox that pre-selects the next gear, et al. The gearbox stays the same - what gets replaced is the cable linkage between the shifter and the box. In its place, you have a device which, upon receiving an electronic signal, selects the gear at the box - as if the gear were selected via the cables.

That is my understanding of the system. I think the video, in my effort to make conversation, has come out as slightly "promotional" :-) so one may think that I have inside knowledge of the system but that is not the case. I was thinking that it would be a nice thing to have on a 986, for example, which has a shifter that feels "sloppy" to begin with. On the other hand, the cost is probably disproportionate if you are not looking into a high-end 911.

--
    Costas

update: I just found this page which answers most of the questions:

http://oakleydesign.eu/sequential-gear-shift

--
    Costas

Thanks Aviator, I guess you can be faster because of the motorized gear shifting, although theoretically you could achieve the same with the stick.

Nice mod

Eunice:

Thanks Aviator, I guess you can be faster because of the motorized gear shifting, although theoretically you could achieve the same with the stick.

Nice mod

Eunice, as you're greatly interested in this OD sequential you might have a look at this.

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/997-996-turbo/18771-oakley-design-sequential.html

--

------- MY07 997.1 GT3 White, CS, PCCB, Full Leather/Alcantara in Black

------- MY07 997C2S --GONE

Dear fellow RENNTEAMERS,

I know many of you have been pushing for quite a long time for a detailed report on this trip, the aftermarket installations on my GT3 and my impressions plus, naturally, plenty of photos.

Unfortunately winds turned out to be much more adverse than anticipated. Due to an unforseen and complicated situation I'm currently experiencing with the main seller/installer mentioned in this thread -you guys here may conclude whom I'm talking about- I have chosen to remain silent for as long as this might take. What's more the way out of this nasty path should be the most appropriate and amicable one be it for the 'pride and prejudice' of the seller or the objectivity of this worldwide established forum.

After almost three years of active presence in this forum I have gained some trusted friends and have made the acquaintance of many many valuable compassionate owners. As always happens in my everyday life I also here unarguably support a couple of principles such as honesty and transparency. Although I'm driven by these principles even now, please don't take me wrong and allow some time before exposing the facts that brought us here.

In the society of our times when country boarders and physical distance are non-existent I believe we all deserve the right to share instantaneous the most valuable asset: information.

Soon we'll all be aware of it

Take care,

George

--

Well George's diplomatic words above make me feel very warm inside regarding the incident that he is referring to and the company that  "you guys here may conclude he (and I) are talking about". I have a recent, similar and equally "unforseen and complicated" story to tell that has pushed my personal limits of tolerance. I have also chosen to remain silent, for the last few months, waiting for a resolution that never came..

more to follow...

Sorry to hear that guys. But please, keep us informed and give names, as soon as you can. This could be a way to make pressure on those companies and help avoid future problems , or help others stay away from the who you are talking about.

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Pending further developments, the video I posted above is hidden from public view. I do not want it perceived as an endorsement. I sincerely hope that the company in question will remain strangely absent no more!

The last thing Porsche enthusiasts need is a shop which has enjoyed its fair share of press coverage to disappoint so absolutely. If the press has erred in inspiring confidence, the consequences of them following-up on their mistake will fall heavy on this particular business but may also shake confidence in "after-market" products and services in general.

--
    Costas

Thank you all guys for your kind words, your genuine support and your encouragement with regard to Yiorgos' (aka GT) and mine nasty experience at Oakley Design.

That was mainly the reason there was a delay in posting my report on the theme of this thread, i.e. my trip to Harwich for replacing my GT3's exhaust system (for second time in a row) along with the Intrax suspension and the radiator kit -now it should make sense why I haven't felt like posting it.

Soon there will be a new thread documenting why we should avoid doing business with that company in the future, there is no need to submit your questions in this current one as it'll definitely go out-of-topic.

As we all understand this is a hard situation for all of the parties involved, that's why we have asked in written from RC his typical permission prior to sharing words and content together.

Please be patient by the time we'll have granted the right to do so. In the meantime, stay assured that even if we've wasted a lot of money in this case this oncoming thread will help a lot of fellows to consciously preserve it.

Thanks once again

--

A small teaser...

1247151996247Failure Nr01 (14).JPG

--

That's shocking!  Especially at the prices Oakley charge...

I am sorry I couldn't warn you about them before you came over to the UK.  Had I known I would have got you to go to a better aftermarket dealer such as Parr/JZ Machtech/Tech9.

--

Click for bigger picture!

function_analysi:

A small teaser...

1247151996247Failure Nr01 (14).JPG

wow...what ahell is that..i am really sorry about that george

there is more coming from both of us..

Yikes!! That looks horrible!

I hope you can work something out, it's such a shame your wonderful trip and experience is now partly bittered by these problems.

--

function_analysi:

Thank you all guys for your kind words, your genuine support and your encouragement with regard to Yiorgos' (aka GT) and mine nasty experience at Oakley Design.

That was mainly the reason there was a delay in posting my report on the theme of this thread, i.e. my trip to Harwich for replacing my GT3's exhaust system (for second time in a row) along with the Intrax suspension and the radiator kit -now it should make sense why I haven't felt like posting it.

Soon there will be a new thread documenting why we should avoid doing business with that company in the future, there is no need to submit your questions in this current one as it'll definitely go out-of-topic.

As we all understand this is a hard situation for all of the parties involved, that's why we have asked in written from RC his typical permission prior to sharing words and content together.

Please be patient by the time we'll have granted the right to do so. In the meantime, stay assured that even if we've wasted a lot of money in this case this oncoming thread will help a lot of fellows to consciously preserve it.

Thanks once again

--

Jon Oakley's New Contact details..as below... and WHY ?

I dont like seeing anyone who is decent & trusting being ripped off, blatantly ripped off, by someone as slippery and full of BS as Jon Oakley.

Oakley design as a company ? - I think they are okay but they may have suffered from Jon Oakleys BS aswell..hence his recent departure.

Anyway, info is as below... Good luck.

The Facts

He has been sacked by Oakley Design

He was never a director as he has been previously struck off !

He is not allowed to be a director in the UK

He only deals in cash and has no credit cards ( obvious reasons )

His new mobile number in the uk is: 07983 971 318

His new address is:

Flat 27, free rodwell house, mistley, manningtree, colchester, co11 1hw.

His girlfreinds name and email is: ( this is the only email address / route to him )

pm for email

As far as i know, Oakley Design - Matt and Martin, are sorting things out now as soon as poss, so hold tight i guess. Matt and Martin are both decent guys in my opinion & experience.

Great thanks for this detailed input, stranger. Smiley

Hopefully, Matt and Martin for their own good must sort things out before their brand becomes completely trash.

Please let us know as soon as any additional info comes out.

Regards,

George

P/S What motivated you to get into the trouble of posting this...could you please also answer the "WHY" as you suggested in your original title? TIA

STIGt2:
    function_analysi:

Thanks once again

--

Jon Oakley's New Contact details..as below... and WHY ?

I dont like seeing anyone who is decent & trusting being ripped off, blatantly ripped off, by someone as slippery and full of BS as Jon Oakley.

Oakley design as a company ? - I think they are okay but they may have suffered from Jon Oakleys BS aswell..hence his recent departure.

Anyway, info is as below... Good luck.

The Facts

He has been sacked by Oakley Design

He was never a director as he has been previously struck off !

He is not allowed to be a director in the UK

He only deals in cash and has no credit cards ( obvious reasons )

His new mobile number in the uk is: 07983 971 318

His new address is:

Flat 27, free rodwell house, mistley, manningtree, colchester, co11 1hw.

His girlfreinds name and email is: ( this is the only email address / route to him )

pm for email

As far as i know, Oakley Design - Matt and Martin, are sorting things out now as soon as poss, so hold tight i guess. Matt and Martin are both decent guys in my opinion & experience.

--

WHY ?

Now and again, you will come across certain people in life that think they are clever, can deceive the hard-working and play with your time, money and emotions. Those people know who they are...

There are also people in this world that are highly intelligent and suffer no fools !

Information is readily and easily available if you know where to look, who to use and how to cause the maximum amount of bad press / reputation and damage in return !

Thats Why.

Glad i could be of service...  Tell your freinds ;-)

George, I somehow missed the evil ending of your great tour and tune trip saga, which commenced with so much enthusiasm. Now I'm really shocked to read about your nightmare SmileySmiley

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a happy end for you any time soon Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

I am very sorry to hear that our 2 Greek friends have suffered such a loss in terms of money and most of all pleasure. Difficult to pursue these dishonest businesses unfortunately and to find justice. However, naming and shaming them is a good retribution.

Another, moral of this story is never mess with a soundly engineered product like a Porsche car. You want more power wait for a new model in a few years time or buy the next model up. Enjoy your car as it is and don't get into the trap of trying to squeeze out more. The probability of creating something better is low.

ΚΑΛΗ ΤΥΧΗ ΜΕ ΑΥΤΟΥΣ ΤΟΥΣ ΜΑΛΑΚΕΣ!

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Porsche-Jeck:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a happy end for you any time soon Smiley

Of course the same goes for Costas Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:

I appreciate the sentiment, but I was lucky and never dealt financially with Jon Oakley. (I did meet him because George and I met up in London and drove to Harwich together.) The other Greek fellow, George has mentioned, is GT on rennteam.

Regardless, thank you again PJ!

... If I may say at this juncture: I would be grateful if someone can clarify who Oakley Design really are, after all. When I met Jon, he presented himself as oakleydesign. He was proud of the new, and then unpublished, website oakleydesign.eu. He asked for my opinion on it as if it were his own project. He proudly recounted Porsche cup race results etc. He even gave me a demo drive of the Oakley Design "sequential shifter".

Am I to understand (from the latest posts) that he is just one of the Oakley partners (siblings?) who alluded to a higher role or status in the company? That he utilized the company's name to lure unsuspecting customers for his private benefit, while his partners were busy doing good work somewhere else? What is the complete history and the current status of Oakley Design as a company?

--
    Costas

@P-J: I know how you feel for me, thanks for your kind interest. I'm so sorry to say this, unfortunately that's the unhappy end of this story. Jon Oakley has completely ruined both 'his company' reputation and the customer experience of at least a handful of P-car owners.

If I were to do it all over again I should have taken into serious consideration a couple of important signs that from the very beginning were red-lighting my decision. What's more I had always a bad feeling, long before I started this epic trip, coupled with loads of 'undelivered emails', indefinite BS, 'lost items' and the like. What hurts me most is that I willingly handed my car's keys to a man that later on was proved to be the worst nightmare of our dreams. I can't imagine what could have been (or what really happened, if anything) with such a car in his hands

@Reginos: I don't share your moral, yet I keep your genuine support and your wishes.

@Costas: You've said almost everything. I may not have had the greatest tuning experience but I feel so lucky I partly took the trip with you together. Really THX!

--

Aviator:
    Porsche-Jeck:

I appreciate the sentiment, but I was lucky and never dealt financially with Jon Oakley. (I did meet him because George and I met up in London and drove to Harwich together.) The other Greek fellow, George has mentioned, is GT on rennteam.

... If I may say at this juncture: I would be grateful if someone can clarify who Oakley Design really are, after all. When I met Jon, he presented himself as oakleydesign. He was proud of the new, and then unpublished, website oakleydesign.eu. He asked for my opinion on it as if it were his own project. He proudly recounted Porsche cup race results etc. He even gave me a demo drive of the Oakley Design "sequential shifter".

Am I to understand (from the latest posts) that he is just one of the Oakley partners (siblings?) who alluded to a higher role or status in the company? That he utilized the company's name to lure unsuspecting customers for his private benefit, while his partners were busy doing good work somewhere else? What is the complete history and the current status of Oakley Design as a company?

Aviator - In breif - Matt, Martin and Michael setup and funded a tuning company.  Then came along Jon Oakley.  I think they re-branded but now kind of regret it !  As far as i know, the current situ is, they have removed Jonny Rotton from the company and are re-grouping with a new strategy ! Why dont you post and ask if they are doing so ???

You guys should really post it all here as it's in the UK and much more coverage.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=48&t=751237&mid=178358&i=80&nmt=Oakley%20Design-%20anybody%20know%20them&mid=178358

STIGt2, if I remember well, according to Jon Oakley's words he once cooperated with the DesignTek team but obviously he was also removed from there. I'm sure I should have somewhere stored in my hard disk a pdf brochure reading that Jon Oakley develops racing products for them. This removal, however, should have been a little before or after a while Matt, Martin and Michael were setting up their tuning company.

When Aviator and I were in the UK, at the day I took my GT3 out from TBR UK, the Harwich shop where I had the exhaust/suspension/radiators replaced, we visited a DesignTek reseller, the Design911. Prior to this I had noticed that OD and DT were sharing a couple of identical mods/items under different brands however. I will never forget how they behaved when I referred to Jon's role there, I felt as I was insulting them Smiley

On another note, who is Jonny Rotton?

STIGt2:
    Aviator:
    Porsche-Jeck:

Aviator - In breif - Matt, Martin and Michael setup and funded a tuning company.  Then came along Jon Oakley.  I think they re-branded but now kind of regret it !  As far as i know, the current situ is, they have removed Jonny Rotton from the company and are re-grouping with a new strategy ! Why dont you post and ask if they are doing so ???

You guys should really post it all here as it's in the UK and much more coverage.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=48&t=751237&mid=178358&i=80&nmt=Oakley%20Design-%20anybody%20know%20them&mid=178358

--

STIGt2:
    [....]

Thanks! There is good info there and a link (page 5) to another thread which has a  current credit report on the company: Name, address, shareholders, etc.

Looks like Jon (whom you christened "Jonny Rott'n" :-) is no longer a shareholder.

--
    Costas

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775686 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440864 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262325 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260521 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84941 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879902 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814846 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM