Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Universal Audio Interface

I have a new 997 with the Universal Audio Interface option.   I noticed that the battery on the  IPOD is not being charged during use.   The PCM manual states otherwise.   Has anyone else experienced this?   I have an IPOD Nano.  

Re: Universal Audio Interface

I just found out from Apple, that the IPOD Nano, 4th Generation, does not charge on "Third-party" devices.   Older IPODS  will charge just fine.  

So you'll have to purchase the car charger separately.  Very interesting info.  I was intending to buy the nano 4th Gen, but now I'll stick to the 3rd Gen one for this reason. 

I have a feeling the Apple iPhone 3G also will not charge.  Any confirmations/contradictions from first-hand experience?

I have yet to get my 997.2(due any day now! Smiley) so I haven't tried it out myself. However, I've seen pictures on some of the forums of people using the Scosche Passport with their new iPhones/iPods.

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1667

Ah!  That seems like the answer.  Would love to hear from you how it works on your new 997 (Congrats!!)

Thanks Arshad! I just got back from the dealership after seeing my car for the first time. Straight off the truck! Guards Red Carrera with black interior! Smiley

It's still has to go through PDI and I'll be getting it only by the end of the week. Another 5 days of waiting...Smiley

I've already ordered the Scosche converter and I'll let you know if it works as soon as I get the car.

I got my car today and got to try out the Scosche iPod adapter. The good news is that it works as advertised. The bad news is that it adds an additional inch or so to the length of the ipod. My 4G iPod Nano was a very tight squeeze in the center compartment.

Bottom line: If you haven't bought the new iPod nano yet, Don't! Go for the previous generation which is a lot shorter and charges without the adapter. You'll get the same music experience AND usable space in the center compartment!

ksturgill:
    I just found out from Apple, that the IPOD Nano, 4th Generation, does not charge on "Third-party" devices.   Older IPODS  will charge just fine.  

I use a Kensington FM transmitter that does charge the iPod nano 4G. As you said, it is a matter of the connector, Apple obviously changed it so some models cannot be charged by a part of the 3rd party connectors.

theufoguy:

I got my car today and got to try out the Scosche iPod adapter. The good news is that it works as advertised. The bad news is that it adds an additional inch or so to the length of the ipod. My 4G iPod Nano was a very tight squeeze in the center compartment.

Bottom line: If you haven't bought the new iPod nano yet, Don't! Go for the previous generation which is a lot shorter and charges without the adapter. You'll get the same music experience AND usable space in the center compartment!

I agree, any additional adaptors are just a kludge. The solution is for PAG to supply a different cable with the correct pinouts for the new iPods.

--
    A. Dias Corvette C6 coupe (sold) 996 C4 (sold)

Congratulations!  Enjoy your car in good health!  Thanks for the heads-up on the Scosche adapter and its practical disadvantages, also for the advice to get the older Nano.  However, the older Nano came only upto 4GB (am I right?), which would be a little tight for my music collection. 

SO now it will have to be a compromise for me - either go for the old Nano and be limited by its capacity, or get a new one and also a separate car charger for it.  However, I sill have a good amount of time to think about it, as I won't be getting delvery till April!!

In my 997.2 I have both a new Nano (4th gen) and an iTouch. The iTouch will charge via the iPod interface but the Nano will not. It has to do with Apple changing (cost reduction) the charging circuit. The Nano will charge via the USB port. My solution is; iTouch is connected to iPod interface and Nano is connected to USB; both charge and both play.....

But if the Nano is connected to the USB port, does the PCM control it or do you have to control it from the device itself?
    --
    "I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road without being questioned about their intent"

There are a couple of old iPod nanos (4GB) available in Apple´s Refurbish store, depending on your country. Comes with the regular warranty.

I'm having trouble getting the system to play tracks from a USB memory stick in the right order. When I select an album it insists on playing the tracks in alphabetical order of track name rather than by track number.

I have ID3 tags to specify the tracks and the files are named   "01 - track1.mp3", "02 - track2.mp3", etc. but it ignores the "01 - ..", etc. when ordering the tracks. Maybe it gets the name from the ID3 tags.

Anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks

Martin

Apparently, Porsche have a cable (Part No. 99761247102) that charges all the latest Apple products.  Its dear though at £18.41 + VAT (15% in the UK)

Are you sure it is not the standard cable's part no.?  I just checked with my OPC, and they said that the part was listed as the only cable available. 

Could it be that Porsche have recently changed the cable and kept the same part no.? 

My car's a Feb build.  Could I have got the old cable?  There is no part no. on the cable.

Will buying the new cable charge the iPod Nano 4G, or will I be left with 2 useless cables?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but my OPC didn't have the answers to the above!

--

All I know is that my OPC said the quoted cable will charge the latest Apple products.  I'll try to find out though

The 'new' cable is a workaround. It connects both to the iPod connector and the USB port, thus negating separate use of the UB port. The correct cable would be one with a 12V to 5V conversion built-in.

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S (ordered). Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

So you mean it has 2 connectors (like a Y)?  Does it have the same part no. as given by GR? 

--

They did say it connected to the USB and the IPOD connector (I assumed like a Y) but otherwise it was all a bit vague

Just for info I am facing similar problems with my Mercedes on the central screen where I can scroll thru the IPOD

functions as on the IPOD itself - but since the latest Itunes updates - I can still manage the IPOD remotely - but it stopped charging....

On the old Ipods it worked - the new ones did not charge.....

I have adressed this with Mercedes and I guess it's a matter of a softwareupdate - as initially the cable was also charging the device.

Must the similar with Porsche - it's maybe more a software issue than a hardware thing....

I doubt it can be solved with a software update. The new iPods need 5V and the old ones used 12V. The new cable is a 'Y" and gets the 5V from the USB port. This is why I say it is a workaround. PAG should either do a recall and replace the audio module or provide a cable with a compact integrated 12V to 5V converter. 

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S (ordered). Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

I have the same problem with my Nano. I use the USB port .

But 2 problems : I do not have access to my play lists and the songs are listed by alphabetic order in each album . Very annoying !!!!

My OPC has send an inquiry.

IS the Y shape cable available ?

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

From the above (and an on-line visit to Suncoast Parts e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc ), I gather that part no. 997-612-471-01 is the standard cable that has come with our cars.  So is 997-612-471-02 the cable illustrated above by ADias and mentioned by GR?  I'm not in town at present so cannot get to my OPC to check out the same... 

Gnil, my problem exactly - I thought the problem was solved after I connected the iPod Nano 4G to the USB, but I got alphabetical lists only, and it was especially annoying when you need to listen to a live concert!! 

--

My  Y shape cable is at the garage. I will fetch it today and see if all work fine after that . And yes, this is the new part as Arshad concluded.

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I've got the Y-cable in my car and have been using it for over a week now. It works the same as the original cable + Scoche adapter. No issues.

The only advantage is that there's more wiggle room for the iPod Nano(latest gen) now that it doesnt need the Scoche adapter which used to add an extra 1.5" to the already long iPod Nano.

Excellent!!  So this issue is now finally resolved!!  Thanks all you guys for extremely informative inputs. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755496 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431680 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258882 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255942 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79939 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5265 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868999 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803065 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM