Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster - 987 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Things that bug me about the 987

Well, I guess I mean this to be a 'constructive criticism' thread, so please join in!

I was thinking again on a sunny drive home last week (and I've probably mentionned this before, stuck record that I am).... But when the sun is out and the top is down, you just can't see some of the display lights very well. For example, you can't tell if you've got the air con on feet, face or screen by looking at it. The brightness setting control by the speedo just doesn't go high enough. Maybe Porsche have improved this this on the later models? Anyone?

And It does bother me a little that you can't move the sun visor to the side window. I'm sure there's a design reason for this...? I bet you can do so on the 911 cab?

Erm.... Anyone else got anything that niggles them?

Re: Things that bug me about the 987

If the sun is out and the top down why would you want the air con on? Smiley SmileySmiley

Things that irritate? Cheap skate and flimsy feeling plastic imitation aluminium door handles - you get the real deal on a Golf. The awful sound package plus stereo that isn't a patch on the standard sound system in my BMW One Series. The completely useless analogue speedo that could be replaced by oil pressure and temp gauges. The easily scuffed sill covers.

That's about it - apart from the mean 2 year warranty.

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

But guys - those are really minor quibbles compared to the very long list of fantastic things about your 987S beauties It's the best performance car pound for pound in the world IMO

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I can't move the sunvisors to the side window in my car too. There's probably a good reason for that.... I have a BMW e36 cabrio. 

But I dont really care, I always have some sunglasses in my car!  

My 987.1 nav console has more buttons than a blackberry, and until I had iPod & bluetooth integrated (aftermarket) into the console, only most of them were functional!

--
    2008 Boxster S

easy_rider911:

But guys - those are really minor quibbles compared to the very long list of fantastic things about your 987S beauties It's the best performance car pound for pound in the world IMO

Agreed, and that's not the point of the thread. I'm sure we don't want Porsche to become complacent, and we want the next cars to be even better!

@DC, yes, I do want AC with the roof down, but want to know where the air is directed! And it was just a 'for example'. Most of the LED displays are behind a surface that seems to go opaque when sun hits it. The speedo number only remains visible because it's so big. In my view. ;-)

easy_rider911:

Agreed - but nothing's perfect and I welcome wtsnet's worthy attempt to spark some life into a pretty dead Boxster Board. Smiley

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

Wild-Speed:

I can't move the sunvisors to the side window in my car too. There's probably a good reason for that.... I have a BMW e36 cabrio. 

But I dont really care, I always have some sunglasses in my car!  

That is common feature in many cabrio cars due to the fact that at higher speed the air waves that passes at the upper corners of the windscreen are very difficult to controle them so you may get hit by the sunvisor in a very unpleasant way.

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

dreamcar:
    easy_rider911:

Agreed - but nothing's perfect and I welcome wtsnet's worthy attempt to spark some life into a pretty dead Boxster Board. Smiley

Thank you! And yes, that's indeed the main reason I posted.

Once everyone has posted their 'Woo! I've got a new car! Isn't it shiny!?' threads, what do we have left?

Perhaps something along the lines of... did you know that?

Do most owners know about the lights in the door handles?
    That there used to be pockets on the back of the seats?
    And that I have three 12v sockets in my 05, not two (as in the later cars).
    That the cup holders used to be silver, not black?

And am I wrong in believing that 911 cabs can swivel their sun visors? (I thought I noted that once when poking round an OPC and went 'Hmmm'. Maybe my memory is wrong?)

@Easy, I know the sunlight on instruments thing seems trivial, but it probably doesn't bother you with your tin-top! It's the radio display, fan speeds, temperature setting, probably the nav (if I had it).... all these things would be tough to read if the sun hits them. There must be a solution. Brighter LEDs? A coating on the display?

One of the most useful changes from the 3.2 to 3.4 was resiting of the engine oil / coolant filler flap flush in the forward bulkhead of the luggage compartment - it makes a very useful improvement to the stowage capability. Smiley

The cupholders finish definitely deteriorated (not that I use them) from the silver coated plastic to cheap looking and feeling black. Smiley  The operation of the roof mechanism also changed slightly in it's tensioning when closing. Smiley 

MP3 capability of the PCM is also worthwhile, I didn't need to purchase the CD stacker second time round. Wish I'd gone for the Bose again though - sound package plus is rubbish. Sports exhaust is better than both, though! Smiley

Last weekend  whilst washing the car I managed to catch the chamois leather under the top part of the "B" in Boxster on the boot lid and break it off, stuck it back on carefully with Loctite but can now see the join - annoying! Smiley

Saw a superb low mileage 997S.2 with PDK in East London's website - in unusual and striking Porsche racing green, 5,000 miles and £16k under new price I'd have been seriously tempted if I hadn't gone over budget on our home improvements Smiley

----

I tried spec'ing a Boxster S last night as the Mrs might get herself one next year and the cost of the options soon took the car over £50k (and I was only adding essentials)!!  That's just crazy...

--

Click for bigger picture!

Alex_997TT:

I tried spec'ing a Boxster S last night as the Mrs might get herself one next year and the cost of the options soon took the car over £50k (and I was only adding essentials)!!  That's just crazy...

What was on your 'essentials' list then Alex? Out of interest... (Always nice to see other people's lists!)

Sub question: Probably about to get an iPhone to replace my current Samsung (cracked the screen in a unintended drop-test). The iPhone lets you sat-navigate, play music, and connect to the internet for internet radio. how long before cars just have phone docks, that simply take the video and audio output from your phone to simple, dumb, in-dash touch displays and and audio amplification?

wtsnet:
    Sub question: Probably about to get an iPhone to replace my current Samsung (cracked the screen in a unintended drop-test). The iPhone lets you sat-navigate, play music, and connect to the internet for internet radio. how long before cars just have phone docks, that simply take the video and audio output from your phone to simple, dumb, in-dash touch displays and and audio amplification?

I read an interview with a senior Mercedes engineer who confirmed this was their take on the future

GR:
    wtsnet:

I read an interview with a senior Mercedes engineer who confirmed this was their take on the future

@GR - Interesting! It does make sense.

So are in-car nav systems fitted now going to become next years' 8-track?

It does seem odd that my son, in his Lotus, can update the TomTom regularly for free when I would have to invest upwards of £600 for an update DVD for my built-in sat nav ... crazy!

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

dreamcar:

Last weekend  whilst washing the car I managed to catch the chamois leather under the top part of the "B" in Boxster on the boot lid and break it off, stuck it back on carefully with Loctite but can now see the join - annoying! Smiley
    ----

You need to 'B' more careful! (ahem Smiley)

I'll get my coat.

The 997 sun visors do swivel outward. I agree that there are some foibles in the 987, but when I compare my previous 99 2.5L Boxster to my wife's 08 3.4L Boxster S the overall evolution of the car has reached a zenith IMHO. As much as I enjoy my new C2S Cab I would not wish to forego the mid-engine Porsche experience. 

--
    Carpe Diem

DaveC:

The 997 sun visors do swivel outward. 

Thanks for the confirmation Dave! I thought I was going mad. Do you notice any problems with them when driving (roofless) at speed with them to the side, and/or with the windows down?

and @wild-speed, I know you were teasing, but even if you are wearing shades, the visor blocks the main direct glare of the sun, and if the sun's coming from the side it gets in the side of the sun glasses. It's a small point I know, but a niggly one! This is more of a problem when the sun is low.

Incidentally, that's another thing I find difficult with cab driving - when the shadows are long vision is much more impared due to the lack of shading of the roof. When the edge of the road is in shadow, and your eyes are bobbing in and out of sun and shade, it's almost like driving blind sometimes! Anyone else find that?

wtsnet I agree with all your observations, as I have noticed these "peculiarities" myself.  As you know the sunvisors on the Boxster (and 911) are not particularly wide and so the setting sun is often below their level of coverage.  The swivel feature on the 911 is naturally very useful and in many instances works to better effect than the drop down position.  I've had no problems w/ the visors to the side in terms of buffeting on the highway, but our speeds here are limited to 70-80mph. One thing I've noted is that the windshield on the 997 Cab is taller than the 987, and the 997 cabin is noticably larger. It's not surprising to me than taller people can fit more easily in the 997 than in the 987.  Ironically the seats choices are all identical, so no relief for the "wider" among us!

--
    Carpe Diem

DaveC:

taller people can fit more easily in the 997 than in the 987

Yup - I'm 6'3" (about 1.90m) with longer legs (rather than upper body) so I found the 987S legroom problematic. In a 911, I can make the driver's seat go back much further so it's much more suited to my dimensions.

Honestly, if I hadn't had this legroom problem, my choice between 997S and 987S would have been a lot harder to make Smiley

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Small niggle, when you lock the car, nothing happens for about 2 seconds before the indicators flash to confirm lock. Why?, when opening it opens immediately, but locking you stand there waiting until it flashes twice. 

--
    Boxster 987S

...That's so you can admire the beauty of the taillights and headlamps! Smiley
    dbz:

Small niggle, when you lock the car, nothing happens for about 2 seconds before the indicators flash to confirm lock. Why?, when opening it opens immediately, but locking you stand there waiting until it flashes twice. 

--
    2008 Boxster S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688954 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408904 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255619 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234878 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65459 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857732 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773679 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM