Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

AMS : GT-R vs 997 Turbo on Nurburgring

Direct comparison on NS by german AMS. Nissan is almost 20s faster.

GT-R : 7:47

997 Turbo : 8:03

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/9213/frscan010005.jpg

Re: AMS : GT-R vs 997 Turbo on Nurburgring

I guess Nissan has proved their point. They were able to out gun the Turbo in a rather spectacular fashion.

Ignoring the rather slow time, it is now unanimous that their stated goal of wiping out the TT has been achieved.

--

If luck is not with Nissan this state will survive just three months... - until the 997TT FL is on the market Smiley Don't forget: the 997TT in its current form was launched three years ago...

Has anyone looked at the tyres they used? The GT-R uses super-sticky Dunlops, while the Turbo only uses the regular Pilot Sports. That aside, where is the 7:26 time, promised by Nissan? We have already established that the GT-R beats the Turbo on the 'Ring (it was built for this purpose and tested against the 997TT repeatedly) - it would be a disgrace for Nissan if it didn't. Still, regular road tyres versus R-compound. Hardly a fair shake, wouldn't you say?

MKSGR:

If luck is not with Nissan this state will survive just three months... - until the 997TT FL is on the market Smiley Don't forget: the 997TT in its current form was launched three years ago...

And don't forget that it's still the standard GT-R.

So far, the standard GT-R was the fastest in every comparison test that was done in Germany.

Smiley

Crash:

Has anyone looked at the tyres they used? The GT-R uses super-sticky Dunlops, while the Turbo only uses the regular Pilot Sports. That aside, where is the 7:26 time, promised by Nissan? We have already established that the GT-R beats the Turbo on the 'Ring (it was built for this purpose and tested against the 997TT repeatedly) - it would be a disgrace for Nissan if it didn't. Still, regular road tyres versus R-compound. Hardly a fair shake, wouldn't you say?

Porsche promises a 7:38 for the Turbo.

Yeah it's not fair: they should have tested it against a GT3 or GT2.

BTW the SpecV is 5 seconds quicker than the GT3 (Source: CAR Magazine). And Mizuno said that there will more to come.

Smiley

edit: Some interesting info from the article: the Datsun won the comparo overall. The GT-R got a 7/10 for its warranty. 5/10 for the Turbo. The GT-Rs boot is 3 times bigger. The Turbo is 200kg lighter.

Walter:
    Crash:

Porsche promises a 7:38 for the Turbo.

Yeah it's not fair: they should have tested it against a GT3 or GT2.

BTW the SpecV is 5 seconds quicker than the GT3 (Source: CAR Magazine). And Mizuno said that there will more to come.

Smiley

That was Porsche's claim when supposedly testing against the GT-R. Porsche's original claim, btw., was 7:49 (for Cup tyres). Not that I trust manufacturers' claims, but 7:49 seems much more doable than 7:26, wouldn't you say?

Crash:

Many Mazagines also compared the GT2 and the GTR while GT2 was using super-sticky Cup+ and the GTR was using Bridgestones only.However the GTR was  not much slower,or even sometimes as fast as the GT2.

A friend of mine drove the GTR on the Ring. He says that for one lap it is hard to find anything else that is faster, cornering is so amazing and acceleration in 3 rd and 4 th just incredible ( he drives a Corvette ZO6 slightly modified and does the Ring in 7:45 ) but after one lap you have to stop as the car will note take harsh driving for too long.  For him it is a great GT, but no track car.

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

In gear acceleration of GT-R is nothing special. It is more then 2s slower in 80-120km/h in sixth gear. As you will see in forthcoming SA Supertest 80-160km/h time is also not very fast in comparison to 997 Turbo or Audi R8 5.2 FSI.

Point is that GT-R is in real world autobahn(long) drive not any faster then 997 Turbo. Friend of mine who owns 997 Turbo drove recently in Germany with GT-R on Salzburg-Munich autobahn and(sorry to you all GT-R fans) GT-R could not keep with 997 Turbo. His Turbo is manual with 16000km on clock, while GT-R was fresh new Nissan Germany press car...

Other interesting thing is that all GT-R fans that post  here are without any drive experience in it! I had a chance to drive GT-R is short session(around 40mins) and IMHO is it great car for the money. Character wise it is without any character at all IMO.

Crash:

Is that true Smiley Why didn't they use a 997TT with Cup tires Smiley

However, based on the Supertest results the GTR is still about 14s faster than the 997TT (with Cups and LSD). Porsche needs to do a real upgrade on the 997TT. I am very interested in their FL Smiley

Walter:
    MKSGR:

And don't forget that it's still the standard GT-R.

So far, the standard GT-R was the fastest in every comparison test that was done in Germany.

Smiley

There is just one GTR available... Nothing to choose from Smiley

Frankly, performing on the level of the GT3 Mk2 the GTR has just one advantage: it is cheaper. However, the GTR's quality seems rather poor and also the high weight will prevent any buyer from doing several fast laps in a row... Thus, if you ask me, the GT3 is the better buy - if you have the money.

If you prefer a car that is faster than the GTR in all categories you can also buy the GT2, of course Smiley

Buterworth:
    Crash:

Many Mazagines also compared the GT2 and the GTR while GT2 was using super-sticky Cup+ and the GTR was using Bridgestones only.However the GTR was  not much slower,or even sometimes as fast as the GT2.

The Supertest now confirms that the GTR is slower than the GT2 even on the best tires available for the GTR. Game over for Nissan Smiley Even the GT3 Mk2 can keep up with the GTR (despite having about 50hp less).

KresoF1:

Point is that GT-R is in real world autobahn(long) drive not any faster then 997 Turbo. Friend of mine who owns 997 Turbo drove recently in Germany with GT-R on Salzburg-Munich autobahn and(sorry to you all GT-R fans) GT-R could not keep with 997 Turbo. His Turbo is manual with 16000km on clock, while GT-R was fresh new Nissan Germany press car...

Several tests confirmed this. The 997TT is faster than the GTR above 100kph or so Smiley

(Just watch the video with Patrick Simon for example)

What ever is said, or what final results , or any tastes I have,  I am amazed        (  and deceived by the top brands) that the Nissan has to be compared to TT, Gt3 or even Gt2 to fall behind . Not normal to me !

All these debates are enough to give Datsun a clapping hand, sadly

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

MKSGR:

Frankly, performing on the level of the GT3 Mk2 the GTR has just one advantage: it is cheaper. However, the GTR's quality seems rather poor and also the high weight will prevent any buyer from doing several fast laps in a row... Thus, if you ask me, the GT3 is the better buy - if you have the money.

If you prefer a car that is faster than the GTR in all categories you can also buy the GT2, of course Smiley

For now. The base 997 was in the market for how many months before the GT2 came out?

The GT-R got a 11/15 of its Qualitätsanmutung. 13/15 for the Porsche. For  Wiederverkaufschancen (it tells if selling the car is easy or not, something like that), they gave the Porsche a 8/10 and a 7/10 for the Datsun. So no, the quality of the Datsun is just fine. It's from AMS, so you can't argue.

So I only have to buy the most expensive Porsche available to be faster than a 1800kg Datsun? Smiley

Walter:
    MKSGR:

For now. The base 997 was in the market for how many months before the GT2 came out?

The GT-R got a 11/15 of its Qualitätsanmutung. 13/15 for the Porsche. For  Wiederverkaufschancen (it tells you if selling the car is easy or not, something like that), they gave the Porsche a 8/10 and a 7/10 for the Datsun. So no, the quality of the Datsun is just fine. It's from AMS, so you can't argue.

So I only have to buy the most expensive Porsche available to be faster than a 1800kg Datsun? Smiley

Walter:

You can also buy the GT3: it is just 30% more expensive and has very similar performance (the GT3 being slightly faster on tighter tracks, the GTR being slightly faster on faster tracks). For those 30% more you get better reliability, more driving pleasure, top-quality and a real Porsche Smiley 

Driving a Nissan you will never get rid of this nasty feeling that you should have made this small additional investment into perfection... That is also the reason why 99.9% of Porsche drivers will not buy a GTR. If you are used to the best you rather invest a bit more than spend less but make a big compromise. I rather spend 200k on the best than 80k on a compromise. Why? Simple answer: even 80k is a substantial sum. Too much for second best Smiley

Walter:

That question is of academic interest, at best, unless you really are currently driving a GT-R.

--

fritz

@ all: are you not wondering, that this heavy-japanese "pig" *gg* is cornering way faster than any of the mentioned Porsche cars (GT2 / GT3 MK I & II, TT)?!?

The Nissan was never built as the ultimate track-racing car, but as a "real deal" concerning price / value!

Let's wait for the V-Spec...

MKSGR:

You can also buy the GT3: it is just 30% more expensive and has very similar performance (the GT3 being slightly faster on tighter tracks, the GTR being slightly faster on faster tracks). For those 30% more you get better reliability, more driving pleasure, top-quality and a real Porsche Smiley 

Driving a Nissan you will never get rid of this nasty feeling that you should have made this small additional investment into perfection... That is also the reason why 99.9% of Porsche drivers will not buy a GTR. If you are used to the best you rather invest a bit more than spend less but make a big compromise. I rather spend 200k on the best than 80k on a compromise. Why? Simple answer: even 80k is a substantial sum. Too much for second best Smiley

The GT-R is also a lot more pratical than both Porsches.

I always loved the 993 and 996 Turbo a lot more than than the GT2s and GT3s because the Turbo was able 2 things at once: be fast on the race track and usable every day. If I wanted something for the track only I would do things properly and buy a Caterham or Radical.

BTW did you read the comment they made about the tires?

fritz:
    Walter:

That question is of academic interest, at best, unless you really are currently driving a GT-R.

I drove the GT-R even before you knew it existed. True story. Or not. It's the internet, I can be whatever the hell I want..

Gnil:

What ever is said, or what final results , or any tastes I have,  I am amazed        (  and deceived by the top brands) that the Nissan has to be compared to TT, Gt3 or even Gt2 to fall behind . Not normal to me !

All these debates are enough to give Datsun a clapping hand, sadly

+1 I Agree.

This is how I see the result, too.

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

Walter:
    fritz:
    Walter:

I drove the GT-R even before you knew it existed. True story. Or not. It's the internet, I can be whatever the hell I want..

Smiley

fritz:
    Walter:

That is very valid point SmileySmileySmileySmiley

Lord_Driftalot:

@ all: are you not wondering, that this heavy-japanese "pig" *gg* is cornering way faster than any of the mentioned Porsche cars (GT2 / GT3 MK I & II, TT)?!?

The Nissan was never built as the ultimate track-racing car, but as a "real deal" concerning price / value!

Let's wait for the V-Spec...

There won't be a V-Spec in Europe...

Walter:
    MKSGR:

The GT-R is also a lot more pratical than both Porsches.

I always loved the 993 and 996 Turbo a lot more than than the GT2s and GT3s because the Turbo was able 2 things at once: be fast on the race track and usable every day. If I wanted something for the track only I would do things properly and buy a Caterham or Radical.

BTW did you read the comment they made about the tires?

No, I actually did not buy this issue of AMS. What did they say about the tires Smiley

Walter:

That's what I assumed all along Smiley Nissan staff in the www Smiley

Walter:

The funny thing is: I would have agreed with your view BEFORE I got my GT2...

Today I really have to force myself to use my Audi (which is also a nice car per se - 450hp, 12 cylinders, B&O, Ceramic Brakes etc.). Why? Simply because I enjoy the GT2 tremendously in day-to-day use.

Example: next week I need to go to: Basel, Stuttgart, Berlin (total ca. 2000km). I really needed to "force" me to put the GT2 into the garage and take out the Audi (I need to give some people a ride next week...). While one could argue that the GT2 is not at all suited for doing 2000km in three days the truth is that there is no car which is more fun on these trips than a GT2 Smiley Since owning the car I do approx. 3000km a month with it Smiley

MKSGR:

No, I actually did not buy this issue of AMS. What did they say about the tires Smiley

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/9213/frscan010005.jpg

Last sentence.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM