Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: Sports Exhaust System for 997 Carrera/Targa FL

Pink Panther:

However, this is the first time I've heard a specific date so let's hope....

They are delivering them already. Mine has arrived about 10 days ago at the garage.

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Mine still hasnt arrived

--

Paul

996 GT3 RS

997.2 C2S Cab

How to Save Money

well as Gnil said it seems PSE are already delivered to some lucky customers !!!

Oh, and by the way, this video really makes a clear difference in sound !!, i can't wait 15 more days !!!!

--

Does anyone know whether the PSE switch setting is "sticky"? As it is I have to set "sport" and "suspension" settings everytime I start the car and don't want yet another switch to set. I know that the exhaust can be installed without the switch, but I can imagine that it would be nice from time to time to make it quieter (stuck in traffic, etc.) but have it always start up in "loud" mode.

joe pruskowski:

Does anyone know whether the PSE switch setting is "sticky"? As it is I have to set "sport" and "suspension" settings everytime I start the car and don't want yet another switch to set. I know that the exhaust can be installed without the switch, but I can imagine that it would be nice from time to time to make it quieter (stuck in traffic, etc.) but have it always start up in "loud" mode.

The factory default is OFF. But I presume there must be ways round this "problem".

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Thanks for the sound clip! After living with the stock engine for the last six weeks it now seems that the PSE is an essential addition.  The 3.8 DFI engine needs a sound boost, particularly at idle and low rpm. Right now I'm leaning toward the installation w/o the switch as the PSE doesn't seem so aggressive that it would be necessary to turn it off. 

--
    Carpe Diem

joe pruskowski:

I think that the only way is to install an extra switch. ( I had done that in my 997.1 )

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

No new videos of PSE?:)

Here it is Smiley I have only driven 10 min with it, so I  can't say much other then it sounds better then the stock. October2764.JPG

October2765.JPG

October2767.JPG

October2768.JPG

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

...and that it looks better in real life then on the pics and it doe snot have the mettalic sound of the PSE.1
    --
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

The unusual tips look very nice on your black car.

--

many congrats Gnil !!!!!!!

Let's hope that with the running in it sounds louder and better !!.

Will post pics as soon as it arrives (if it arrives !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )

Post some videos when you can PLEASEEEEE!!!

--

Alex18_996CC:

many congrats Gnil !!!!!!!

Let's hope that with the running in it sounds louder and better !!.

Post some videos when you can PLEASEEEEE!!!

For the moment I find it to be too silent ..... it is not as loud as PSE.1 , but It might need to be run in.

Will see for the video, but I am not realy equiped for that.

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Alex18_996CC:

Have they given you a date yet?

I enquired again last week and my order appears on the system as "back order" without further details. I then asked the Porsche Centre manager to call Germany and even they couldn't give him a date but they said that if it is ordered as VOR (vehicle off the road) then the delivery will be faster (but still no fixed date) and it will cost some 600 Euro extra. I didn't accept that and I prefer to wait.

--

I took delivery of my C2 997.2 with PSE a few weeks back and after a few weeks of living with it here are some observations ....

1. Sounds far better on than off ... well duh! Haven't owned any other 911 variant so can't compare to other versions
    2. On start up it is always off
    3. When I select sports plus it doesn't automatically switch on the PSE which I seem to remember reading in some pre launch blurb it would do ... not a problem tho'
    4. Driving with sports mode + PSE on in drive gives awesome notes especially when changing down during braking I get that small burst as gear change takes place Smiley
    5. Visually the tail pipes look cool

Oh and the Nordic Gold looks amazing especially in the desert evening twilight and gets many admiring glances in traffic jams. I am constantly driving around with a grin on my face SmileySmiley

When the car stays still for 5 minutes I'll try and upload some pics & sounds.

Cheers.

Thanks for the update and preliminary evaluation. I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer about availability. Certainly seems to be an improvement over stock. I would be pleased if the PSE masks the DFI "diesel" notes at idle.  Any comment on this?  

--
    Carpe Diem

DaveC:

Thanks for the update and preliminary evaluation. I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer about availability. Certainly seems to be an improvement over stock. I would be pleased if the PSE masks the DFI "diesel" notes at idle.  Any comment on this?  

The PSE flaps are not open at idle even with the switch ON, for noise regulation reasons. So no effect there, unless you modify to have the flaps permanently open.

--

reginos:
    DaveC:

The PSE flaps are not open at idle even with the switch ON, for noise regulation reasons. So no effect there, unless you modify to have the flaps permanently open.

Reginos I think you´re wrong. There´s a video here that shows a 997.2 PSE at idle , and when the driver turns on the PSE, it clearly modifies the exhaust sound at idle, and it seems to mask a litlle the dieseling kind of sound, not tatlly sure of that though.

Gnil, can you confirm this info? I also heard is has more like a turbine kind of sound!!! Can you confirm that too ? Thanks in advance.

J.Seven

J.Seven:
    reginos:
    DaveC:

Reginos I think you´re wrong. There´s a video here that shows a 997.2 PSE at idle , and when the driver turns on the PSE, it clearly modifies the exhaust sound at idle, and it seems to mask a litlle the dieseling kind of sound, not tatlly sure of that though.

Gnil, can you confirm this info? I also heard is has more like a turbine kind of sound!!! Can you confirm that too ? Thanks in advance.

J.Seven

From  what I can remember there is a slight change in sound but for real effect you needs revs to open the flaps up.

Of course, I am still waiting for the PSE to be fitted to my car, so whatever I say is from a test at the dealer's some weeks ago.

--

J.Seven:
    reginos:
    DaveC:

J.Seven

Mine is  always  on ( with flaps open) , as the garage did not receive the button that gets fitted to the dash board for the moment. So we left it on '' loud'' mode . They installed everything....we just need the button to finish it completly.

As for the turbine sound....... I have only done city driving for the moment, so I can't comment yet .

But I have been driving around with my CS4 997.1 PSE this week end and it is quite louder and has the metallic sound the PSE.2 does not have

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

i prefer kreissieg sound check it out

No new video's of PSE?

In Belgium you can order a PSE by Carnewal.. Valves always open

mmm!

Dubai Driver:

1. Visually the tail pipes look cool

Look cool and there's a _reason_ for them. OTOH, it used to bother me that my 997S had the "Y." In retrospect I never would have ordered that car without PSE just so the quads would make sense. Something to think about for "purists" about to place an order. Smiley

--
    2007 997 Turbo

ok guys, today just went to listen to the sport exhaust in 997.2 Carrera S (which is delivered today to the customer) and it also happens to be same colour as ours (white), anyways!.....It sounds different (much more growl) but IT ISNT AS HIGH AS THE 997.1 PSE, I have switched PSE on and off just at idle, and the sound difference is not noticable at all, but when you play with the throttle at lows revvs (up to 3.500 rpm or so), is where the PSE really activates, much more growl than stock, and definately higher volume!.....At high revvs the sound is nearly the same as stock, (why is this????)......

Also I have asked the mechanic that was showin me the car, if its possible to switch off the PSE cable to have it constantly open, the answer was a clear yes !, but he said he don't recommend this for several matters, one of them guarantee.

Overall I would give PSE a 7.5/10, I thought it was going to sound much more higher than in the 997.1, BUT DEFINATELY A VITAL OPTION FOR ANY 911, ITS JUST A DIFFERENT CAR, AND LIKE I SAID SOUND AT LOW REVVS IS JUST AWESOME.

On the other hand, he was telling me that driving in sport chrono plus with the pdk and pse on, js just very noticable, the shifts and downshifts are just another experience (those where his words).....

I did not taked any pics, because my cell phone is one of this nokia's ultra thin, but with a camera that is crap !!

We are getting it installed the 26th of this month at 9.00 am !!!!!

--

All new exhausts need an amount of time/kilometers for the metal to "burn". It is then that the full sound can be evaluated.

--

reginos:

All new exhausts need an amount of time/kilometers for the metal to "burn". It is then that the full sound can be evaluated.

Reginos, I asked to the mechanic this question today, and he said me it will eventually sound better, just for the reason you said, but he also told me that the difference is not that big, so its a yes and a no....anyways, I dont want anyone who has read my opinion, to cancell this option (as I have read what I just wrote, and seems to be that my opinion and experience of today, wasn't so good), its completely the way round, it sounds very very nice, and has this porsche growl !!!Smiley

--

Alex18_996CC:
    reginos:

Reginos, I asked to the mechanic this question today, and he said me it will eventually sound better, just for the reason you said, but he also told me that the difference is not that big, so its a yes and a no....anyways, I dont want anyone who has read my opinion, to cancell this option (as I have read what I just wrote, and seems to be that my opinion and experience of today, wasn't so good), its completely the way round, it sounds very very nice, and has this porsche growl !!!Smiley

I am still waiting for mine. It was ordered near the end of April and it is still on "back order". The factory cannot give a date which is very annoying.

When did you order yours, if you remember?

--

Ours was ordered about the second week of April, the PSE has arrived to the dealer about 1 week ago ( we thought it was going to take much less), but due to some issues (not being in Madrid, and nobody could take the car to the dealership + the low delivery times ), will have it installed like I said in the 27th of this month.

If you have already exchanged some phone calls with your dealer (which I assume) just be patient, its worth waiting for it !!

--

Small update on my PSE:

At first  I did not like the way it looked on the pics. Then when I saw it in real it was better. Now I think it looks great with the car. It maches the car much better then the stock one.

The black pipes match my black car and the tips in grey are the same color as the rims, so it goes so well togeterh. With the steel pipes, or chrome pipes it does not match that well

and....a big thing, there is NO BLACK STUFF to be seen on the PSE

Alex: The garantee thing about putting the PSE on off all the time seems to be a BS answer

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

Alex: The garantee thing about putting the PSE on off all the time seems to be a BS answer

It is still an intervention on factory equipment that Porsche could use to invalidate warranty.

I've read a true story about a Porsche that turned up for warranty work in an OPC in GB and they refused because the wheels were painted black by an aftermarket shop. The warranty issue had nothing to do with the wheels of course. The owner was asked to come back with stock wheels!

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777003 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441627 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262743 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260899 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85159 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5547 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880604 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815804 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM