Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: PDK review after 7000 km

ADias:

That '0' BMW tranny position  is no more no less than N (neutral) on the PDK or on a manual. I think that people are discussing here how many angels fit on a head pin. It's all mental. :) 

No the "0" position was a a position you could select from the paddles by pressing the left paddle to change down all when the stick was in "M". There was also a "N" setting on the gearstick that was a true "N" in the same was PDK "N" is i.e. it disables the paddles completely.  The difference being you could engage neutral from the paddles if you so wished on SMG, not so on PDK. 

I agree that these are all little things, and dont really give any functional advantage, but they all added up to the feeling that SMG was still a manual, whereas the sum of the parts with PDK adds up to an automatic. Its the little things that count.

Dont get me wrong Adias Im not saying PDK is a bad piece of technology, far from it - its great for what it is and it ceratinly gives a smoother drive than SMG did. I still have no doubt that PDK is faster and slicker than anybody from this universe could ever be on the manual box.  Im saying that for me however it feels like driving the best automatic on the market, not a sequential manual. It is detracting from the feel of the drive in a way that SMG never did.

Porsche-Jeck:
    Anne:
    What is the "Weicheler line" at the caroussell? The outside line?

SmileySmiley weich.jpg

Smiley Aaah, thought so. But I never took that outer line so I newer noticed the writing.  Smiley

--

Anne Smile 
    '09 997 Carrera S, GT Silver 
    x '08 Porsche Cayman S Design Edition 1

Adam2S:
    Anne - Yes I have SC+ and I have been driving the PDK car in sport and manual pretty much all of the time since the day I collected the car so far - and I still hate the way it sets off at lights. Its nothing to do with the change from 1st to 2nd, its the way it sets off initialy if you are just driving sedatly around town. Floor the throttle and its very different, and indeed much better but in the city this just isnt viable all of the time. I had initially discounted Sport Plus as a little bit too hardcore as it redlines in "D" mode and its lack of ever using 7th also made me further think it wasnt worth using. That said this weekend Ive been using M mode & Sport Plus and it is a little better than Sport at setting off at the lights, that I will concede. That said its a 10-20% improvement only and the basic design still leaves me feeling that is an automatic box.

A stupid question from me. Of course you have SC+, that is a must on this car. I guess since I´m so pleased myself I try to find explanations to why you experience the PDK so bad and I so good. But then I have never driven a BMW with the SMG2-system, so I don´ t know at all what you are comparing with. By the way, have you tried out other PDK-cars to see that they are the same and that there isn´t anything wrong with yours?

I think you have a very balanced view on this, and I respect that you have different experiences. I´m just trying to understand. Smiley

--

Anne Smile 

Gnil:

I have done the scuderia 3 times and my best and last score was 85 which gave me the R. So I still have loads to improve and could learn from you Smiley I have the sports suspension so I hope that it will be stiff enough on sports position...but, last week I did some 'spirited' driving  in Italy  on some very twistie  and bumpy roads and even with the sports suspension on I thought it needed to be more stiff sometimes.

I have never been in spring to the Scuderia but in september I have find it to be very nice. There are slightly les people as you don't get the ones that need to do their racing licence for the season. Weather was good two times, bad one. There is always a very big crowd from Sweeden ( Ring Runners) ...but I can imagine all is more or less the same.

We both have loads to improve then. Smiley And thats what is so fascinating about the ring, its so long and challenging that you have so much to work with. And it is truly addictive.

A Norwegian guy who was in my group last year achieved  the incredible score of 63 then, on his first attempt, he was the best S-driver. This year he achieved 48 points and was nr 8 of all the R-drivers. Amazing! Smiley

It sounds good with the fall course. I think I will just check my calendars again and sign up. Smiley

--

Anne Smile 

Adam2S:
    Anne - Yes I have SC+ and I have been driving the PDK car in sport and manual pretty much all of the time since the day I collected the car so far - and I still hate the way it sets off at lights. Its nothing to do with the change from 1st to 2nd, its the way it sets off initialy if you are just driving sedatly around town. Floor the throttle and its very different, and indeed much better but in the city this just isnt viable all of the time. I had initially discounted Sport Plus as a little bit too hardcore as it redlines in "D" mode and its lack of ever using 7th also made me further think it wasnt worth using. That said this weekend Ive been using M mode & Sport Plus and it is a little better than Sport at setting off at the lights, that I will concede. That said its a 10-20% improvement only and the basic design still leaves me feeling that is an automatic box.

Adam, make sure that the P Centre has upgraded the PDK software. There is at least one upgrade I know of.

Also I would ask the dealer to lend me another car for comparison and take the matter from there.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:
    Adam, make sure that the P Centre has upgraded the PDK software. There is at least one upgrade I know of.

Do you know what the PDK software change entailed?

--

A. Dias

Corvette C6 coupe (sold)

996 C4 (sold)

ADias:
    reginos:

Faster control of the solenoids that actuate gearbox hydraulics, if I remember well.

--

reginos:
    ADias:

Faster control of the solenoids that actuate gearbox hydraulics, if I remember well.

Did you in practice notice any change? improvement in any area?

--

A. Dias

Corvette C6 coupe (sold)

996 C4 (sold)

When they did the upgrade, I've had the car for 2 weeks so I really didn't have a measure for comparison.

--

reginos:

When they did the upgrade, I've had the car for 2 weeks so I really didn't have a measure for comparison.

Some feel clunky shifts at low speed - perhaps they have the old software. What is your experience in stop-and-go city traffic?

--

A. Dias

Corvette C6 coupe (sold)

996 C4 (sold)

ADias:
    reginos:

Some feel clunky shifts at low speed - perhaps they have the old software. What is your experience in stop-and-go city traffic?

In Normal mode it is extremely smooth, as if there are no shifts.

In Sport mode after some spirited driving on the open road when you enter town and slow down in traffic, the shift to 1st gear is sometimes clunky but then again once every say, ten stops. Maybe it is until the system learns the new parameters(from fast driving to slow traffic) But then again you notice it if you want to pay attention to it. It is not something upsetting.

--

reginos:
    ADias:
    reginos:

In Normal mode it is extremely smooth, as if there are no shifts.

In Sport mode after some spirited driving on the open road when you enter town and slow down in traffic, the shift to 1st gear is sometimes clunky but then again once every say, ten stops. Maybe it is until the system learns the new parameters(from fast driving to slow traffic) But then again you notice it if you want to pay attention to it. It is not something upsetting.

That's been my observation too. Thanks!

--

A. Dias

Corvette C6 coupe (sold)

996 C4 (sold)

ADias:
    reginos:
    ADias:

Did you in practice notice any change? improvement in any area?

--

A. Dias

Corvette C6 coupe (sold)

996 C4 (sold)

I have asked at my garage for any softwear updates but they have always told me there are none Smiley 

One thing has not been mentioned about hte C2S PDK. How damm fast the car is !!!!!!

I had only an one our drive , last summer, in the 997.2 manual so I can not compare realy compare, but this 997.2 PDK is amazingly fast. It feels much more then the 30 HP more it has compared to the 997.1 .

In my 997.1 tne passengers usually did not feel scared, just impressed. In the 997.2 PDK they feel scared Smiley as the acceleration is much stronger, and that' snot just from a stop start.

What do you 997.2 owners think ?

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Perhaps they did the update on your car already when it was in for something else. It's a software update only that takes a few minutes.

I am immensely happy with my car. It is very versatile too. If I want to travel relaxed it is like a normal car and economical too. If I want to drive fast like you said, I can accelerate with the PDK and reach 220+km/h without even trying.

The car is also superb on B roads. I drive on some bad B roads sometimes, that maybe don't exist in your country, narrow and twisty with uneven and broken surface and funny cambers. The car is superfast there with PDK contributing greatly and you can move with great confidence and stability. The car is like a dancer a gymnast and a sprinter all in one on such roads Smiley Other cars I've tried over the years need ideal road surface to enable you to go that fast. 

--

I would totally agre my C2S 997.2 PDK feels significantly faster than C2S 997.1 manual, it is one of the big positives of my new car.

I think its not just a combination of the PDK and the extra 30BHP but also the chassis improvements which allow you to go much faster and with more confidence around corners than before. All in all the difference is very noticeable in real terms and I too have had passengers scared in the new car who were otherwise at ease in the old one.

That said the old car wasnt slow and although we struggle to admit this to ourselves, there is a realistic limit to how fast we need a car to be...  OK, ignore that temporary moment of sanity there - of course there isnt, the faster the better!!!!

Adam2S:

East_rider911. Hahahah - I'm now laughing at my own post. I had forgotten about that, great spot and thanks for pointing it out to me!  You must have a great memory to remember my vigourous defence of PDK at that stage!

I was just re-reading the whole thread and came across your orignal silverstone post. I think your comments on PDK are very valid indeed, but for me the biggest problem I have with PDK is its around town capabilites. Its then to me that the inherrent "Tiptronic" nature of the system is exposed to the maximum.

Just to add a little sanity and defend my stance on the original post - At that stage I had not driven PDK and I believe given it was July 08, that not many other people had too. Everything was mainly speculation.  At that point I had assumed that Porsche would get it right and that their sequential would be as good as BMW's SMG. I had loved my 4 years of BMW SMG ownership and really thought they had the technology spot on. How could Porsche get it so wrong if BMW could do it right! Well what I hadnt factored for, is that I assume somebody at Porsche insisting that PDK was going to be a Tip replacement, not a 3rd gearbox option, and that they were not to upset the existing Tip owners by making it too sporty and "hard" to drive.  Ironically I suspect the Tip nature of being easy to drive around town will make it appeal to many people, as for most they want to save the thrills for the twisties, and have a car thats easy around town. For me with my 90% around town, thats where I have to get my thrills and feedback - PDK isnt for me. I made a miskate and I hold my hands up now! I appologise to anybody I "savaged"  in a previous post in my defence of PDK! hehehe Smiley

Re the GT3, I test drove a GT3 mk1 (in lux not clubsport spec) round town last week and found it very compliant indeed. I did have some worries in this respect so I insisted on the test drive being on my test track, not theirs this time!  The only real negative is that the cluch is much less forgiving than on C2S and I almost (I caught it though!) stalled it twice - DOH! Some of this I guess was having been out of a manual for 6 weeks. The overall experience was ceratinly of a car I could be happy with day to day. Not so of my previous experience of a full spec clubsport GT3RS - really hardcore and too much for me. Much of this must be the clubsport spec though.  Im assuming GT3 mk2 will benefit from the Gen2 softer ride and that the improved creature comforts inside will make mk2 an even easier place to be than mk1.

You end up not liking the PDK where most find it to be perfect Smiley the city that is.

Good to know you will have your problem solved the bets way possible Smiley

J.Seven

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691021 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410150 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256213 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235409 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858802 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775109 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM