Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Chrysler looking to eliminate the Dodge Viper

"The Viper isn't the only Chrysler product at risk, however, as several trucks – including the Dodge Ram, Dakota and Jeep Wrangler, believe it or not – could also be shed as Chrysler aims to streamline. Follow the link for the full analysis."

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/05/what-does-chryslers-restructuring-plan-have-in-store-for-the-vi/

They are nuts! They are cutting all the cars with soul and keeping all the boring crap Smiley

Re: Chrysler looking to eliminate the Dodge Viper

Nah, the Viper hasn't really been relevant since the first generation ones. It's a smart move considering the dire financial straits they're in.

But I do give them points for being bold .. they had some great cars in the Prowler, Viper GTS, Crossfire, 1st Gen Ram Truck, etc. etc.

Revolution products in the Mini-Van and K-Car (an idea which Porsche copied for the Boxster to save itself in the 90's)

I thought the pairing with Merc Benz, and all the cross platform sharing (the 300C is like 60-70% Benz E-Class) would have been a home run, but for whatever reason the marketing geniuses just never played that angle.

Who wouldn't like a 60-70% Benz for half the price of a Benz.

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

I thought the platform sharing was the previous generation benz platform.  Like the Crossfire was previous generation SLK platform.  So you werent getting the latest and greatest for 60 to 70% off.

--
    2007 997TT Blk/Blk 2007 X3 Sil Gry/Taupe 2002 E46 M3 Slvr/Blk (gone)

thuggy:

I thought the platform sharing was the previous generation benz platform.  Like the Crossfire was previous generation SLK platform.  So you werent getting the latest and greatest for 60 to 70% off.

Point taken, but still last generation's perfected Benz model is still > than this year's new GM or Ford.

--

Heist:
    thuggy:

Point taken, but still last generation's perfected Benz model is still > than this year's new GM or Ford.

Maybe, but you can see why "the marketing geniuses just never played that angle". Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    Heist:
    thuggy:

Maybe, but you can see why "the marketing geniuses just never played that angle". Smiley

Yes, but I definitely would have alluded to it using MB technology and parts. Smiley

I drove the Crossfire and it was a surprisingly fun little car that felt just like my then girlfriend's SLK.

--

Finally something good from Chrysler. I never ever liked the Viper!!! I think is just piece a plastic with a stupid engine and so little performance for so much waste in every aspect!!! And the design.. oh dear.. on the first was simply horendos, now they fix it a bit with the actual model. Hope no one here has one...sorry 

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

And may it be forgotten quickly ...

--

Tom
    09 AMV8 Vantage

BlackSRT.jpgYes but Chrysler has to be given credit for doing some innovative things and producing some daring designs like the prowler even if i would never have wanted one.

But I do think the Challenger is really cool. A true muscle car that is better than the original in every respect - looks, build quality, and performance, but not price.

I was doing some research last night and found out that they produced 6400 Challengers for MY 08 and they were all SRT8's. For MY09 they introduced the 6 cyl and the RT version. I am pretty confident the Challenger will be axed in this re-organzation unless there is some side deal with the canadians.

So it looks like an RT would make the best collectable for say 15 years down the road. Get one in a very rare color and all the options possible and salt it away.

Anyways Chrysler has let people have great fun with the colors and graphics available to customize their challengers similiar to the original in 1970. It is so unfortunate that this irresponsible wall street and Washington phuck-up has to be paid for by companies like Chrysler that actually make good products.

09_Dodge_Challenger_SE.jpg

21.jpg

trigs007.jpg

100 % agree - that Challenger looks awesome!

There are many other graphics packages also. I will add some more later. But that is badass with attitude and a super all leather interior, 400 hp/tq, and a great sound!

Yep and all for a very affordable price! Nice machine!

1242305975209red.JPG

white rt.JPG

silver.jpg

This and the Camaro SS are some uniquely (north) American cars. Very special.

Yes, those cars are north American specials, but you can get them as import in Europe!

classy

DSC_0172.JPG

over the top

ChallengerRT_08b555555.jpg

Check out this challenger interior. This is equivalent to the one I sat in with the great sport seats in very nice leather.

Notice the french stitching on these. I have to say I was more impressed with this interior for ergonomics and quality materials than I was with the current offerings in the porsche showroom. It also had a large color display and nice moonroof/sunroof. Very Nice.

In fact best american interior i can think of, much better than caddy or corvette. Arguably the best American built car in the modern era.

int.jpg

This car is really beautiful!

I like those leather-seats. Also the "plastic appearal" is much better as in the Mustang i.e.

Are you planning to get one?

Lars997:

Are you planning to get one?

I can buy nothing Lars, until I have built my home. I have been on this 2 year odyssey to find the right piece of land and I am not much closer to having it than when I started.

For those who aren't about to spend a LOT of money on a home build I suggest to buy one of these as the last of an era and put it away as a museum piece or investment for Barrett-Jackson in 2030. The chrysler BK will see tiny rebadged fiats and not 6.1l V8's.

This car stand on its own for quality, value and performance BUT I would think it would really be the thing to have in europe. I can imagine it cruising down the champs eleysees or the KO.

Or the perfect weekly prize for Mike as this easily beats the Eleanor imo.

I don't think I have ever seen a reviewer have this much fun in a car and as far as the american knocking at the end about the interior as I said above the top of the line interior is better than any new porsche.

And with a realistic 170 mph top end, brembo's, and fully independent suspension this would be respectable on the autobahn.

racerx:

It is so unfortunate that this irresponsible wall street and Washington phuck-up has to be paid for by companies like Chrysler that actually make good products.

Yup, lets blame Wall Street for years of mismanagement, fat UAW contracts, bad build quality (though better in most recent years but the brand perception is still there), production of products no one wants to buy (sebring, pacifica come to mind).

--
    2007 997TT Blk/Blk 2007 X3 Sil Gry/Taupe 2002 E46 M3 Slvr/Blk (gone)

thuggy:
    racerx:

It is so unfortunate that this irresponsible wall street and Washington phuck-up has to be paid for by companies like Chrysler that actually make good products.

Yup, lets blame Wall Street for years of mismanagement, fat UAW contracts, bad build quality (though better in most recent years but the brand perception is still there), production of products no one wants to buy (sebring, pacifica come to mind).

The immediate cause of the bankruptcies is the lack of credit to decent borrowers caused by the meltdown on wall street after lehman collapsed.

The next cause is the bursting of the RE bubble caused by Greenspans free money, Freddy and Fannies securitization scheme going back to the 1999 letter, and exascerbated by Franks refusal to oversee and intervene while there was still time.

The next cause is the lack of an energy policy in this country since the first oil shock in 1973 - biggest problem we face.

All you have to do is watch CNBC's "House of cards" to see why this recent boom had to go bust.

Wall Street is to blame for ruining this country not just the auto companies. ask for reference material if you need it.

But lest look at your claims as to the auto industry - firstly all the foreign competitors are hurting also with huge losses. Germany is keeping their industry going with Merkels program called cash for clunkers.

Bad mangement - in chryslers case - I fail to see that, but they are wall streeters themselves - Cerberus capital mangement. They have the best line-up in the industry imo with a constant flow of new models- Chrysler 300, dodge charger, Challenger, and the Jeep line with many new products including the best looking SUV imo the 4 door wrangler.

Those contracts while wasteful with job banks and quotas did pay a decent american wage with benefits most americans expect.

American quality is at the top of JD power rankings. That is an old myth.

And as to value, How much do you have to pay a european car company for 425 HP/ 410 TQ?Smiley

The fact that sales went from 16 million to 8 million had everything to do with Washington/Wall Street and nothing to do with detroit.

Had Detroit got the bailout that AIG or BofA or Citi got they could survive with bonuses in  tact. The banks should have been dismantled not detroit.

Chrysler/Dodge make a very impressive line-up, much more so than I had thought, I just took a look. A herculean effort such a small company. Tens of thousands individual parts to design and build. 27 different model lines. Perhaps a streamlining would help the bottom line.

Take a look;

http://www.chrysler.com/en/

http://www.dodge.com/en/index.html

http://www.jeep.com/en/

Their pick-up truck alone is extremely impressive inside and out. That is a great interior;

2009-Dodge-Ram-Duo-1280x960.jpg

ram int.jpg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690586 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409824 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256060 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235292 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4699 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858507 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774771 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM