Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2009 Spanish F1 Grand Prix in Barcelona

fritz:
    John H:
    gangajas:
    Well, Ferrari have a "Spaghetti Culture", Alonso comes from a place full of uneducated people, even a monkey could drive a modern F1 car...right or not (and usually he's not right at all) you can't take Lauda's comments very seriously.

You are well out of line with those comments...Smiley

I think Gangajas is just quoting comments made by Niki Lauda, who has a long history of providing journalists with "borderline" quotations.     Smiley      

And many times his comments are right on target, although not always diplomatic and elegant.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Emperor:

Are you entertained Bernie? Am certainly not and neither is anyone else besides the Brawn team and Button's family. Brawn is a new found team without heritage or a history and them winning every race doesn't trigger any emotions or butterflies in anyone. Half the grand stands at Barcelona were empty and I can see the same fate for Turkey, Germany and many other race weekends.

I welcome underdogs but how fun is F1 when a new team with very old drivers are a light years ahead of everyone, facing zero competition at all. If there wasn't a ban imposed on in-season training then at least the other team would have a chance to catch up and challenge. These days the thrill of watching F1 is not in watching Brawn win but to see how Ferrari will cock up.

Brawn is just a fad. Given that they are only contracted to get a supply of Mercedes engines for this year, they can forget about getting any next year given how they have performed this year. They will have to opt for the Cosworth engine which I doubt will deliver the same reliability as the German sledge hammer. Rules are changing for next year as well and without Honda money they will need a serious injection of cash for developing next years car. Their present is gloomy but their future is looking foggy.

Expect the F1 hierarchy to be restored next year.

I cannot agree with what you said Emporer.  Success brings sponsorship and money, and no doubt engine manufacturers will all the lining up to supply Ross an engine next year.  Do you really think Mercedes board is not sitting there thinking "Should we put some money into Ross's car to have our logo all over it?".  Do you think your local Mercedes dealer isn't telling his potential customers that in F1, the car that is leading the championship is powered by Mercedes-Benz"?  Brawns success reflects directly at Mercedes' capability.  And it's not just about money for the Brawn team.  Sure you need money to develop a good car, but more importantly you need a good brain.  If Ross Brawn can't do it, then no one could!  Just read up on his racing history.  Nothing he touches isn't successful!

easy_rider911:

It seems that Alonso (and Spanish sponsor Banco Santander) are heading for Ferrari. The only mystery is whether it is 2010 or 2011:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/f1mole/2009/05/alonso-a-banker-for-ferrari-mo.html

Interesting to know the may not even be a Ferrari team in 2010 IF they follow through with the pull out from F1 because of the cost cutting measure. Alonso may be disappointed AGAIN on moving to a big name team.

Those clowns running F1 is playing a dangerous game of chicken with the manufacturers, Toyota is threating to pull out, Ferrari same deal, MacLaren almost did.

Without the big names in F1 AND no more cutting edge high tech cars, F1 is nothing more than a run off the mill racing series like NASCAR or something. It is the pinnicle of racing simply because of the 100mil+ budget.

WAY:
    Nothing he touches isn't successful!

Could you explain that sentence for me? Smiley

Dr. Phil:
    WAY:
    Nothing he touches isn't successful!

Could you explain that sentence for me? Smiley

WAY will be sleeping Smiley now, so won't see your question for a while, so I'll deputize for him.Smiley

His short sentence contained too many negatives. Smiley   He just meant to say that Ross Brawn seems to have the Midas touch  -  most or all of  the projects he has been involved with in a leading role have been successful, especially Benetton, Ferrari and now Brawn GP.

I briefly had dealings with him once quite a while ago, and remember him as a deep analytical thinker hiding inside a quiet, amiable guy. 

--

fritz

I can see Brawn GP this year became the Bennetton of years past, Button following Shumacher's footsteps.

Alonso might want to rethink his dream of driving for Ferrari and start lobbying and selling himself to Brawn GP.

Brawn's genius aside, lets not forget that the Brawns are as good as they are because Honda pulled the plug on the 08 car halfway through the season to focus on the 09. They were the ones who came up with the whole diffuser thing, and developed a great car (finally). Ferrari and Mclaren (and to a lesser extent BMW) went down to the wire with the 08 championship, even pushing the development into the final week of the season. For this reason they got a late start with the new car. Ross, being the brilliant strategist and thinker he is, realized that there was a good car and team going to waste, and quietly snapped it up. Note the fact we didn't hear much about him buying in until the deal was long done.

I'm really curious to see what pans out for Brawn next year. Barrichello will probably not be there, particularly if this favoritism thing heats up, and he won't have the head start, or the massive well of Honda money and R&D facilities to develop the 2010 car. Granted, sponsors are no doubt lining up to throw money at him, but the real question is how well will he use it? If they have to fight for the title this year, will they then be the recipient of the late start that befell McLaren and Ferrari? Probably not, due to less major rules changes for the cars, but who really knows?

Isn't the top teams run parallel development teams for current season cars and next season cars and they leap frog each other?

It could be just that Ferrari and MacLaren picked the wrong aspect of the new regulations to pursuit and now they are paying the prize for picking wrong. I think they drop too much research into KERS and neglected the aero package on the new smaller wings.

Whoopsy:

Isn't the top teams run parallel development teams for current season cars and next season cars and they leap frog each other?

It could be just that Ferrari and MacLaren picked the wrong aspect of the new regulations to pursuit and now they are paying the prize for picking wrong. I think they drop too much research into KERS and neglected the aero package on the new smaller wings.

The big teams are absolutely running concurrent development programs, but when a team the size of Honda decides to completely stop with the current car and devote all work to the new one, it gets twice the attention and money. McLaren reportedly spent USD10 million in the runup to Brazil last year, just to gain a few more tenths for Lewis' championship bid, and one can only assume the 'all hands on deck' call was sent out by Ron Dennis. I think those two factors have contributed to what we are seeing from Brawn and Mclaren, but certainly aren't the only reason.

The KERS development was also quite costly in terms of resources, particularly for comparatively little gain on track (so far). Thats definitely hurt McLaren, Ferrari and BMW. 

JesseBank:

The big teams are absolutely running concurrent development programs, but when a team the size of Honda decides to completely stop with the current car and devote all work to the new one, it gets twice the attention and money. [...]

The KERS development was also quite costly in terms of resources, particularly for comparatively little gain on track (so far). Thats definitely hurt McLaren, Ferrari and BMW. 

Quite a lot of Ferrari´s and McLaren´s development ressources were used for the competing car last year, both suffered from lack of development this year. There were a few mistakes from Ferrari right at the beginning, e.g. the unstable front wing, that shed a light on the current situation. The mistakes that have been made this season so far are ridiculous for an F1 competitor, even more so for one of the leading companies.

Honda would not have been that far ahead with the current car since the engine was clearly lacking in performance and driveability. I suspect that the uniform engine configuration of 2.4 litres / 8 cylinders does not cause too much hassle in adapting a different engine anymore, especially if this´d be one of the leading brands´.

If it comes to regulations, it is nothing more than a bloody mess - none of the decisions that have been made in the recent past has changed F1 for the better, apart from the fact that the changes in technical regulations has propelled the teams at different positions on the grid. Other than that, it didn´t save time, money and effort nor did it increase transparency. BMW, by the way, has been the only team that encouraged to use KERS this season.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776979 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441621 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262740 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260897 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85155 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5543 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880600 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815789 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM