Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

First Panamera personal impressions

Yesterday I did have a chance to inspect the Panamera in detail. It was a 4S Version.

What can I say? I didn´t drive the car, that chance I will get the next days.

The interior is very nice. Everything you touch with your hands feels high quality. It is much better then in Quattroporte. Audi, BMW and MB are far away. It is more Bentley feeling then any other car.

When sitting in front you get an intimate feeling. The seats (normal – not sport seats) hold you tight. It is not like in Carrera sport seats but very close to the BMW comfort seats. The console in the middle is nice. You get the impression of being a pilot, nice work Porsche.

At the rear you have a lot of space. I am 184 cm and I have still got a lot of head space. The same intimate feeling from the front you get at the rear seats. The seats and comfort is very like BMW X6 with the four individual seats. Porsche seats are a bit sportier. You can travel at high comfort with four persons.

Are some negative things? Yes!

For parking the car is bad. You don’t see the front of the car and neither the rear. You need all this parking assistance tools or your wife.

The trunk space is to flat, the optional luggage is a must, if you would like to travel with four persons and luggage.

Some parts of the shelf’s didn’t work correct. Either they couldn’t open easy or couldn’t close easy. Maybe pre-production problems.

The interior colour was yachtingblue-créme  and Porsche didn’t solve the blue jeans problem on crème leather. On the borders of the seats there where a lot of blue spots.

What else can I say about the car? The owner says, if you try to compare the handling of it with 911 and Cayenne. The Panamera is so near 911 and so far from Cayenne. I will get my own impression and I will let you know if he is right or not.

For sure I would change my 997 turbo for the Panamera turbo.

--

AM

Re: First Panamera personal impressions

Thanks Aldo for these impressions!  Interesting read...

I hope the last quote is a joke   (changing a 911 turbo for a Passat Deluxe... )

Thanks for the info; I'm very much awaiting your first drive report!

kashmir:

Thanks Aldo for these impressions!  Interesting read...

I hope the last quote is a joke   (changing a 911 turbo for a Passat Deluxe... )

I didn't know it was based on the Passat! Smiley

Is your information accurate?

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Passat and Panamera is like Hally Barry  and Whoopi Goldberg.

Why not change my 911 turbo? It is nearly fast as my turbo on straight line. I have all the comfort. In the last year I was only once on a track and the 911 turbo isn´t built for track. So what will I miss? Nothing!

What will I get? I can share the passion with 3 people and my golf bag has plenty room in the trunk!

--

AM

That is an extremely interesting report Smiley

I am most surprised about the perceived interior quality. Much better than Audi, BMW, MB you say, right? That is a big surprise Smiley

you are surrounded by fine leather, fine wood and nearly no plastic. 

Then it is the special atmosphere - Porsche said - no limousine - no coupé -> it is a special combination of sports car, luxury car and elegance. Hard to describe but not bad as we here in south of Germany would say. When you push a button you have to use little more power then you hear the klick sound - all buttons are very elegant and sporty. Only the key looks strange, but it is small so it fits good in the pocket.

--

AM

ALDO:

you are surrounded by fine leather, fine wood and nearly no plastic. 

it is a special combination of sports car, luxury car and elegance. Hard to describe but not bad as we here in south of Germany would say. When you push a button you have to use little more power then you hear the klick sound - all buttons are very elegant and sporty. Only the key looks strange, but it is small so it fits good in the pocket.

I think you're just getting older... SmileySmileySmiley

Right now I'm also thinking more "family" than "fun", so I'm tending towards the next gen Cayenne Turbo (S) or the new BMW X5M. The Panamera Turbo would have been an alternative if the rear would have been different and if the car would have been less "massive". To use the words of "somebody" who drives the Panamera almost every day: "I love to drive it but I would never buy it. Why? It is neither fish nor meat". My concern is actually a bit different: it looks somehow different (some people may love this but for me, this is a problem and my customers wouldn't "appreciate" it if I drive such a huge and somehow flashy limousine. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

my customers wouldn't "appreciate" it if I drive such a huge and somehow flashy limousine. 

RC I don'tknow the type of business you are in, but if I were your customer I would like you to own a distinguished car because that would mean you are successful and good at your business/profession.

And everybody likes to deal with the top people in their area of activity.

An X5M (I am sure you will also remove the badges and pretend it's a 3.0 d) is a top quality car but it makes no statement. As for looks, if you observe the X5/6 (and most BMWs) you will find more things not to like, than on the Panamera. It's just because there are so many around and you don't notice their styling weaknesses, anymore.

--

In Germany, things are a little bit different. The mentality you mentioned is more common in Eastern Europe and/or the US, not here. The more expensive the car you're driving over here, the more customers think that you make too much money and they need to take their business to someone else. There is some sort of false understood "solidarity" with less successful people over here, if you have success, nobody really loves you for that.

I agree with you but unfortunately the clocks are running a bit different here.

If you sell goods, you have no choice. People have alternatives, they do NOT need to buy the goods from your business, they can take the business somewhere else, everything is about sympathy and perception. If you sell service, you may get away with an expensive toy, simply because people appreciate your services.

Only real difference maybe: doctors and lawyers. People NEED them, so they tend to overlook things. My wife as a doctor has no problem to drive whatever she wants, even if her patients are still commenting and ranting.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Thanks, interesting insight.

Different sociological landscape in each country.

Would it make any difference in this perception, if someone bought his car used, say 1-2 years old, and therefore paid the same money as for a lesser car?

--

We are living in an envy society! The people are jealous, they don´t think: oh the guy is working hard and I grudge him his success or what ever, they rather like to say: I hate him because his is richer/better/... then me!

But what is a difference between: Carrera, Cayenne and Panamera?? In the eyes of sick people no difference. Rather drive an Audi A4 2.0 TDI or the car you like!

--

AM

Well in the US I am getting proof of the opposite. Just yesterday again it happened in a very strong way (don't want to give details).

ALDO:

We are living in an envy society! The people are jealous, they don´t think: oh the guy is working hard and I grudge him his success or what ever, they rather like to say: I hate him because his is richer/better/... then me!

But what is a difference between: Carrera, Cayenne and Panamera?? In the eyes of sick people no difference. Rather drive an Audi A4 2.0 TDI or the car you like!

--

AM

In my daily direct contact with at least 50-100(!) people and talking to them, I realized that they show a lot of envy of course but it is interesting that certain cars are perceived in a different way. Lets take my wife's M3 Cab for example: men love it and most of them admire her (and me when I drive it) for owning one. Strange. Then, there is the Cayenne. The Cayenne attracts a lot of attention but my customer are already used to it, so nobody makes a comment anymore. A couple of days ago, a Bentley Continental Coupe parked on my usual parking space each day (a business friend of a neighbor) and my customers made some pretty harsh remarks about this car like I never heard before. A couple of weeks earlier, a 997 Carrera was parked in the same spot for a couple of days and nobody seems to have noticed.

Germany is all about perception and deception, don't forget that Germans invented the de-badging of cars, like the BMW 7series or Mercedes S class. One of our neighbors drives a Mercedes E500 but there is no model designation on the rear. Same with one neighbors Audi RS6, no model designation.

I came to the conclusion that dark colors and no model designation are a good start to avoid too many questions. I love the Maserati Quattroporte GT Sport, a beautiful car and a friend actually owns the dealership over here and it would be a perfect constellation. Still: even if I could afford getting one, my customers would "kill" me with this car in front of my business.

It is much easier to drive such a "special" car if your car doesn't park in front of your business, people tend to forget fast. Unfortunately I don't have any other possibility to park the car, the only available garage is around 500 m away and would cost me 250 EUR per month, not worth it. Parking the car somewhere else down the street doesn't work either, people would notice anyway after a while and I would get a 15 EUR ticket each and every day.

Bottom line is: if you have direct contact to your customers, you need to be very careful over here. Especially expensive cars are not "appreciated" at all.

--

RC:

My wife as a doctor has no problem to drive whatever she wants, even if her patients are still commenting and ranting.

Well, you could always pretend the flashy car is hers then. Smiley

And tell them you only drive a Dacia. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I agree with what RC says about the comments of other people about the car you drive and the impact this can have on your business in western Europe. If I´m not wrong someone on the forum, some years ago, (and I hope I´m not geting in anybody´s personal things) complained about losing the most important client of his company because that client saw that he was driving a Boxster! 

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

ed_moree:

I agree with what RC says about the comments of other people about the car you drive and the impact this can have on your business in western Europe. If I´m not wrong someone on the forum, some years ago, (and I hope I´m not geting in anybody´s personal things) complained about losing the most important client of his company because that client saw that he was driving a Boxster! 

That was Dr. Phil.

null
    --

RC:
    null

RC how are you sure that some of your customers are not on Rennteam  Smiley might be too late to change your perception. Going back to the design of the X5, if you look closely at the car and compare it to the current turbo S, you'll see that the X5 has so many design flaws, yes even the X5M. I have had my Cayenne for 5yrs and will definitely be gettng the 2011 replacement once it's released. How reliable has your wifes' M3 been?  My wife drives a 1-series loaded with all the toys but the car has been a headache, from the sat nav screen, to the SOS system malfunction etc.. I'll be picking up my beloved c4s cab PDK PSE next week, nothing can compare to a Porsche Smiley I test drove a 599GTB today, awesome car, beautiful interior and definitely an eye-catcher,the dealer was willing to do a deal on it but my heart is solely with Porsche Smiley  I would have gone for a Panamera, but with 3 girls and already having a Cayenne wouldn't make sense.

--
    There's only one car, there's only one Porsche

just what i think. many porsche owners have a 911 and then either a cayenne or another SUV or family sedan......no room for a panamera really.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Italo:
    RC:
    null

RC how are you sure that some of your customers are not on Rennteam  Smiley might be too late to change your perception. 

I'm PRETTY sure that my customers don't have a clue about my involvement with Rennteam or sportscars. Even close family friends don't have a clue, this isn't something I brag about, simply because they would probably call me nuts. 

There are two customers (patients of my wife too) who know about Rennteam and my sportscar "history", simply because they drive a Porsche too. The actually do the same I do: they hide their cars, one of them is driving a VW Passat SW to work and he owns a big construction company. There are people over here of course who don't care if people know what they drive but these people are mostly people who are kind of "unique" in their job. There is for example a cardiologist who walks around in flip-flops (keep in mind that Bavaria isn't Florida and we have no beach either) most of the time, he drives a Porsche and a Harley and he couldn't care less about what people think. His patients don't care because he is one (if not THE) best cardiologist in the region. In my business, things are different. My customers could choose from almost 100 similar businesses, so the only reason they come to my place is because they feel safe, well treated and there is also some kind of sympathy. There isn't much difference in prices, so they really come to my place because they like me and the family business. If they would know that I drive a 997 Turbo, I would loose a couple of these people instantly. The only reason they "accept" my Cayenne is because they know I have two kids and they don't know that this is a Cayenne Turbo S. Smiley

I hate to do this to my customers, I'm in a business where honesty is crucial but I have no other choice. Smiley

--

It's been mentioned many times before, but Panamera's 2 individual back seats will cost it many sales.  Take myself, I would happily buy a Panamera Turbo in the next year or two if it was a 5 seater.  But instead, I find myself looking at the new E63, RS6 and even the Rolls Royce Ghost.  Wasted opportunity Porsche.

WAY:

It's been mentioned many times before, but Panamera's 2 individual back seats will cost it many sales.  Take myself, I would happily buy a Panamera Turbo in the next year or two if it was a 5 seater.  But instead, I find myself looking at the new E63, RS6 and even the Rolls Royce Ghost.  Wasted opportunity Porsche.

If they don't attain their sales target of 20.000 in the present climate, don't be surprised to offer a Panamera Plus option with a rear bench.

--

Isn't that hard to do due to the central tunnel?

RC:
    Italo:
    RC:
    null

RC how are you sure that some of your customers are not on Rennteam  Smiley might be too late to change your perception. 

I'm PRETTY sure that my customers don't have a clue about my involvement with Rennteam or sportscars. Even close family friends don't have a clue, this isn't something I brag about, simply because they would probably call me nuts. 

There are two customers (patients of my wife too) who know about Rennteam and my sportscar "history", simply because they drive a Porsche too. The actually do the same I do: they hide their cars, one of them is driving a VW Passat SW to work and he owns a big construction company. There are people over here of course who don't care if people know what they drive but these people are mostly people who are kind of "unique" in their job. There is for example a cardiologist who walks around in flip-flops (keep in mind that Bavaria isn't Florida and we have no beach either) most of the time, he drives a Porsche and a Harley and he couldn't care less about what people think. His patients don't care because he is one (if not THE) best cardiologist in the region. In my business, things are different. My customers could choose from almost 100 similar businesses, so the only reason they come to my place is because they feel safe, well treated and there is also some kind of sympathy. There isn't much difference in prices, so they really come to my place because they like me and the family business. If they would know that I drive a 997 Turbo, I would loose a couple of these people instantly. The only reason they "accept" my Cayenne is because they know I have two kids and they don't know that this is a Cayenne Turbo S. Smiley

I hate to do this to my customers, I'm in a business where honestly is crucial but I have no other choice. Smiley

Same here,i hide my cars,and noone of my customer must know of them..fortunately my customers live at least at 20kms of my home/factory so i have no big problems..also if people talk a lot..and is a bad thing.

Maybe the Cayenne can survive also becouse is "old"..but sure not the 997TT.

When i go to talk with them i must use my lorry,or my Fiat 500Smiley..next month will arrive my new Golf GTI,and will be at the limit of what i can drive for them..Smiley

Their car must be "bigger" than mine..if not they take the conclusion that i gain too much and i must stop work for themSmiley Smiley,if i bought my car becouse i won the lottery or becouse i work three days in one is not important..Smiley

This is...and we must live in this way...unfortunatelySmiley

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

WAY:

This is definetely true. The first thing my wife asked: "does it have five seats?". When I told her "no", she shook her head and said that I can forget about it. We have two kids only but whenever her parents are in town, she needs to have room for one additional person to be able to drive with the kids and her parents in the same car. No way to do that in the Panamera I'm afraid. Smiley Of course there is also that ugly rear... SmileySmiley

--

Not only hard, but also nonsense for Panamera. The model is so and point. You can´t travel nice with three people at the rear bank. Porsche planned a car for four people traveling at a special level of sport and comfort. 

I had a lot of family cars, the last was Cayenne turbo, VW Touareg V10 and now BMW X6 35d. The best car for traveling for my children is the BMW X6. The X6 has only two seats at the rear but two perfect seats. If someone needs to travel with 5 persons then he/she schould by a Van.

--

AM

It is OK if they are small kids...

But really like RC it is not for long trips, we take a plane for that, it is for occasional people visiting.

WAY:

It's been mentioned many times before, but Panamera's 2 individual back seats will cost it many sales. 

Couldn't agree more.

--

RC: 

I hate to do this to my customers, I'm in a business where honesty is crucial but I have no other choice. Smiley

--

Were I'm at its still not like that, its half way between like it is on the states and how it is there. But my ipression is that Europe is tending to be like that everywere in time. Sad.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688096 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408510 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255463 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234686 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65314 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857418 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773087 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM