Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Windsheild - Installation Difficulty

Anybody else had problems after their windsheild was installed?  I had mine replaced last week at the dealership, got it back and it was whistling badly even at 30 mph.  The installer found a leak, worked on it for an hour and said he thought he got it.  Well, everything's fine up to 75 mph, but then it starts whistling again - not as badly mind you, but still whistling.  He's now saying he needs to pull the windsheild off and reinstall. 

Question is:  is seating the window in the new seal on the 997TT that difficult or problematic?  Or, does my installer just not know what he's doing?

--

2007 Porsche 997TT

2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2007 Lexus GX470

Re: New Windsheild - Installation Difficulty

At the factory, it's one of the few tasks that is done by robot. It needs very precise placement and pressure. Carlos from Spain had some stone chips in the past and has some useful experiences that he could share with you about this subject.

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Right! I'm on my fourth windshield or so, lost count. But I haven't encountered any of the problems you mention in any of them

My only problem is that re replacement windows chipped and cracked afterwards with any minimal impact (unlike the factory installed one). For some reason, this one I have know is lasting much longer, even though its got some chips, but its able to withstand impacts much better. But no wind noise at highspeeds.

--

Interesting - so replacement windscreens are not as good as factory ones...

I was thinking when my stone chips became more in number then I would change out the windscreen for a new one.  Now I am thinking I should just live with the chips for as long as possible!!

--

Click for bigger picture!

easy_rider911:

At the factory, it's one of the few tasks that is done by robot. It needs very precise placement and pressure. Carlos from Spain had some stone chips in the past and has some useful experiences that he could share with you about this subject.

Right. If the job at the dealership is done right however, there shouldn't be any problems. The "job" requires somebody who knows what he's doing and somebody who is slow and not too fast. Smiley It is also important to leave the car at least one day unused if possible (of course AFTER the windshield has been installed).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Alex_997TT:

The actual windshields will be the same as the factory ones, but the after-market installation may not be as good. Modern windshields are bonded into the body shell, not just glued into a rubber seal which is in turn glued to the body flange. The bonding is only as good as the care taken in the installation process. The thinner layer of sealant may also not be as tolerant of irregularities on the flange surface as old-tech rubber seals were. A car generally is left to stand overnight to allow the bond to cure before it is loaded.

PS: RC got there first with pretty much the same message. Smiley 

--

fritz

Alex_997TT:

I was thinking when my stone chips became more in number then I would change out the windscreen for a new one.  Now I am thinking I should just live with the chips for as long as possible!!

My advice would be to hold off as long as posible with the factory one, I wish I did.

--

Car's at the dealership today ... keeping my fingers crossed they can get this right!  I was looking closely at the seal vs. new cars coming from the factory, and clearly I can see in the top corners how the windsheild is sitting above the rubber seal.  Definitely not installed properly.

--

2007 Porsche 997TT

2007 Lexus GX470

Sorry to chime in so late. I had mine done (had a tiny stone chip/crack upon delivery).

It was explained to me that the replacement windshield comes assembled with it's gasket in place. 

All they have to do is add a bead of sealant, connect the antenna and drop it in.

Might be that your guy is screwing up by re-using glass and adding the gasketing himself? Maybe not completely removing sealant? 

My point: the way things are set up, the replacement unit is complete so should simply drop in for foolproof results

Smiley

--
    2007 997 Turbo

Now THAT's interesting.  I wonder if my dealership may also be going on the cheap and trying to reuse the existing gasket.  Did a Porsche employee or dealership tell you this?  If so, can you pass along their contact information so I can speak with them?  I think i'm getting the run-around by my dealership since they don't want to go through the hassle of removing the windshield and risk cracking it.

The car came back from the dealership ... still have the same problem.

ARGGGH ... this is so anoying!  Normally the Dave Strong Porsche dealership up in Salt Lake are really good .. but this is bordering on stupidity!

--

2007 Porsche 997TT

2007 Lexus GX470

Strategy_Dude:

Now THAT's interesting.  I wonder if my dealership may also be going on the cheap and trying to reuse the existing gasket.  Did a Porsche employee or dealership tell you this?  If so, can you pass along their contact information so I can speak with them?  I think i'm getting the run-around by my dealership since they don't want to go through the hassle of removing the windshield and risk cracking it.

The car came back from the dealership ... still have the same problem.

ARGGGH ... this is so anoying!  Normally the Dave Strong Porsche dealership up in Salt Lake are really good .. but this is bordering on stupidity!

Okay SD, I remember asking about seal placement (I'm a stickler about precision and surmised that was the most obvious visual detail which could look bad) and, I can swear the service guy told me they do _not_ apply the gasket by hand, "It comes assembled from the factory."

Nevertheless, here's the official service manual windshield instructions which describe the seal as hand-applied. Maybe the factory realized they're better suited to applying the seal and did not update thje service manual instructions? Maybe my guy BS'd me?

At bottom is info about where they got this service manual technical procedure. Your guys should be able to get this whole windscreen replacement section also, which if I remember correctly is about 20 (!) pages long.

IMO, Tell them to show you the service manual procedure in full and explain (i.e."demand" Smiley) you will review with them each step they did or did  not take. Of course they will have to justify any divergence from the manual.

Good luck buddy, that's about all I know about the seal. 

Also I'm fairly certain they can remove your currently badly-installed windshield without damage. The have (or should have) the very specialized electric cutting/knife tool (also described in service manual, even has a part number) which cuts thru the sealant without damaging anything.

better windscreen.jpg

--
    2007 997 Turbo

Thanks MMD... really helpful.

SD.

--

2007 Porsche 997TT

2007 Lexus GX470

Strategy_Dude:

Thanks MMD... really helpful.

SD.

MY pleasure. Hoping the story gets a happy ending. Smiley

--
    2007 997 Turbo

Thanks for all the advice everybody. 

I had a master technician look at the installation, and he said the original wasn't installed right.  He actually said the windsheild looked warped.  So, another one was ordered, installed a few days ago.  Now the windsheild is sitting properly and no wind noise.

--

2007 Porsche 997TT

2007 Lexus GX470

Strategy_Dude:

I had a master technician look at the installation, and he said the original wasn't installed right.  He actually said the windsheild looked warped.  So, another one was ordered, installed a few days ago.  Now the windsheild is sitting properly and no wind noise.

Good..., after a few weeks it'll all be forgotten. Smiley

The other thing? Next time maybe take it to a premier windshield specialty shop in your area. The places which replace Ferrari, or Benteley, or other expensive cars with fussy owners: THAT's worth looking into. Why? When you think about it Porsche dealers probably don't do that many windshields (not exactly a simple procedure either) to get perfect results every time.  Smiley

Anyway, I'm glad you're done with it!

--
    2007 997 Turbo

Strategy_Dude:

Good to hear!   Smiley

--

fritz

Much of the body rigidity is attributed to the important windscreen seal, so it has to be done correctly. 

Years ago we found in the United States that replacement glass always seemed to fair better than original glass, perhaps the glass is tougher, who knows?  I would think that with the complexity of these windscreens (with various antennas) that there is no 'aftermarket' windscreen even available at this time.

--
    997S Hard-top Cabrio 6-spd 3AS 'Turquoise' Natural Brown, PCCB

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804378 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448847 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266534 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90223 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6843 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886270 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834857 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM