Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Test drove the California today

ISUK:

Nick,

I'm not sure if you've seen this car in person yet? I can appreciate that you don't care for it's styling from photographs but in real life the proportions come across much better. The driving experience is also much better than I think you are expecting it to be. The pace is not far off a 430 even though the car has deliberately been held back in an effort to make it more comfortable which the engineers have succeeded in doing remarkably well.

Elijah997's points echo exactly what was said at the world launch. It gives Ferrari a car to appeal to new customers and to satisfy existing ones who want a more usable daily but don't want a V12. I personally don't think it will harm the brand at all as it won't be produced in vast numbers.

It is true I have not seen it in person and suspect will like it better when I do. Nevertheless, I don't believe it will WOW me. It will not get my juices flowing with "I gotta have one". What I will feel is this is a low end Ferrari designed to catered to rich women and men who have no interest in performance but who want to say they own a Ferrari.

The whole point of a Ferrari is (I know this sounds crazy) is NOT TO BE A DAILY CAR. It is to have a car totally different than any other with a sense of occasion to be driven at those special times.

--

KresoF1:

As I predicted... You loved Cali. 

I wouldn't say I loved it Kreso but I did enjoy it for what it is. Still going to try to do a deal on the mad green R8 instead and then wait for the Maserati GranTurismo convertible next year instead of the California Smiley

Curious about the weight difference between the Maserati convertible and the Cali though... Will over over 200kg IMHO...

Kreso, How does it compare to the XKR you drove a few weeks ago and you liked?

Forget the badge, the styling and the price.

I would appreciate your comparison, please.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

reginos:

Talking about the XKR (convertible), here's Clarkson's impressions about that car :

www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article6162128.ece

In short :

"The XKR is not perfect. It’s not even close. The light switch is wrong. The back seats are stupid. Some of the new jewellery is awfully Cheshire and that ride is way, way too firm.

But when I look at the opposition — the chintzy SL, the overly complicated M6, the vomitously ugly Maserati Coupé and the expensive Aston V8 — I know for sure, and for the first time, that if I were in the market for a car of this type, I would have the Jag."

Ranked 5 stars out of 5. Bottom line : "Charms outweigh its frustrations."

I'm rather surprised that Kreso felt the Cali was soulless (not what I've read so far), but I agree on the fact that it's a woman's car. It might still have that Ferrari magic, but it certainly doesn't have that WOW factor that  makes cars from Maranello special. On the plus side, not only did I hear that the gearbox is fantastic (far ahead of the PDK - Sport Auto test drive), but also that the engine is a masterpiece.

reginos:

XKR is better GT. Period. Cali is with same equipment 100% more expensive then XKR(Coupe). DCT in Cali is not refined enough for slow city driving. Also strange as it is-Cali feels little bit heavier overall then XKR. To achive same pace as in XKR you need to rev Cali pretty hard. Cali feels like a strange mixture of Mercedes SL 63 AMG and Maserati Granturismo S with some added articifial spice... XKR feels belive it or not like Jaguar build(or influenced) by Porsche! XKR is IMHO true Gentlemans express, Cali is on the other hand car were you can imagine someone like Flavio Briatore without any problem...

Important personal remark-my favourite cars are: Audi R8(both 4.2 FSI and 5.2 FSI as manual only), Jaguar XKR Coupe and Porsche 997.2CS(as PDK) and 997.2GT3.

PinKchampagnE:

I'm rather surprised that Kreso felt the Cali was soulless (not what I've read so far), but I agree on the fact that it's a woman's car. It might still have that Ferrari magic, but it certainly doesn't have that WOW factor that  makes cars from Maranello special. On the plus side, not only did I hear that the gearbox is fantastic (far ahead of the PDK - Sport Auto test drive), but also that the engine is a masterpiece.

Cali is soulless in comparison to F430 and totally soulless in comparison with 430 Scud. My R8 has definitely more character then Cali(yes, I am little bit subjective here-just IMHO we all are-more or less). Engine a masterpiece? Huh... Only if you did not drive any other car above 400hp. DCT fantastic? Definitely NOT. It is not ahead PDK at all. Paddles? Ok, they are little bit better then puddles on PDK. Automode? PDK D modes are better IMHO. Manual mode on Cali's DCT? Here AI in Cali works little bit too much to create F1 Superfast impression, changes are definitely with added surge and that is something made to please XXX.

Do not get me wrong, Cali is a good car. Just, not for me.

We sometimes tend to forget that most if not all cars mentioned on Rennteam are very good car... The rest is a personal choice.

I agree that the car lacks the wow factor but this example which attended the AutoItalia festival yesterday (at the old Brooklands circuit to the south west of London) is the nicest colour combination IMHO that I've seen on the car to date - Grigio Titanium with Cuoio interior.Grigio titanium and cuoio.JPG

Yes the colour looks very attractive in your picture. A nice change from the ubiquitous shades of red.

Regarding the wow factor, to my eyes the California doesn't look any better or worse than the F430 at least.  They are both on the same level appearance-wise. Of course the Fiorano is a class above everything.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

The main critic of the design is the rear. People tend to forget the car has a retractable hard top... And the weight is decent for such a car.

It is not and never will be a 430. It is obvious the Cali will fill the GT space while the next 430 will be more along the lines of the Scud. It will be more raw and will not please daily drivers the way the 430 almost can.

reginos:

Yes the colour looks very attractive in your picture. A nice change from the ubiquitous shades of red.

I do believe the California is one of the few Ferraris that definately look better in decent metallic colours than in red. People tend to forget that the sportscar market will change in forseeable future and I honestly doubt that sales numbers for 430 and 599 and their respective successors will increase.

I have seen the California in person and it attracts customers that put their emphasis on different aspects than the traditional Ferrari client. In addition, some of the current 430 owners might change to the California for various reasons and not take a step down to the similiar offerings of Maserati.

The California GT is aimed firmly and squarely as competition to the SL 63/65, Bentley GT, and the DB9. This is a high volume (relatively speaking) market, and is very lucrative.

Most people, given the option would probably rather turn up in a Ferrari than any other brand, but the models were never in line with the competition. Either performace orientated or pricing in another league (612).

The California is purely a money making exercise which the romantic purists hate. There is lots of discussion about what a Ferrari should be. Ferrari are changing in order to improve their financial position and survive like any other business. Like it or not, Ferrari is coming to the masses (again).

I personally would rather have a Califonria GT than any of the cars mentioned above as my daily driver, pick the kids up from school etc. After all, that's its market - like it or not.

ISUK:

The California offers a totally different and more comfortable driving option whilst still afording the driver the option to switch to sport and manual mode when the road clears and he/she wants to have some fun. This car will do the boulevard cruise and boutique store trips with ease but show it the open road with a committed driver and you can have real fun.

ISUK, many thanks for the interesting driving report Smiley

Seems that Ferrari has developed into a new direction with this car. If you ask me the California really seems to be the car for those buyers who always wanted to own a Ferrari but would not consider buying a real sports car... Customers who would have bought a Mercedes SL, a Continental etc. otherwise...

Whether this is good for Ferrari only future will tell. The upside could be that the F430 successor can now be even more sporty Smiley

ACP:

The California GT is aimed firmly and squarely as competition to the SL 63/65, Bentley GT, and the DB9. [...]

I personally would rather have a Califonria GT than any of the cars mentioned above as my daily driver, pick the kids up from school etc.

Not too convinced about that... Smiley

The Cali´s culprit is the prominent boot silhouette that is not appropriate on a Ferrari since it contradicts the brand´s image.

But what exactly is Ferrari's brand image these days?

612 - Big 4-seater GT front engined

599 - Big 2-seater GT front engined

430 - Smaller 2 seater mid V8

430 Scud - Race orientated of above

California - 2+2 front engined GT V8

Too much focus on Sat Nav/Big stereo type GT cars I reckon. Smiley

Well in volume 430 sell more than all the other combined...

My dealer is taking deliver of a demo today and asked me whether I would be interested in driving it. I told him since I have no interest in buying the car I would not be interested in test driving it.

FWIW, Ferrari is finding that the car is not getting any interest from current Ferrari owners. Women are apparently expressing luke warm interest.  They better hope that MB and BMW owners move up and express interest in the car otherwise there will be no market for it.

--

How can you not be interested in seeing how it drives and handles? thats the soul of the car. Even if you are not interested in buying the car you will want to be able to compare otherwise you are just blinding yourself. You learn a lot by testing other cars and you learn to appreciate more things in the one you choose by doing so. I would reconsider Nick

--

Carlos, your point is well made. However, my view is since just about everyone that has driven it has indicated that the performance is less than my 430 why bother?Smiley

The only Ferrari I am remotely interested in is the 430 replacement.

--

Very true, the 430 replacement is the way to go but still you may appreciate certain things about the California or give you a sense of things to come in the 430 replacement like the gearbox for example, interior quality, etc.

--

Just viewed it. It is what I thought it would be. Nice, but nothing special. Rear is a little large but no different than the 599. Front end Maserati like. Interior has a luxurious look.

Did not drive it.

--

So reading between the lines you liked it but it is not for you

Carlos from Spain:

How can you not be interested in seeing how it drives and handles? thats the soul of the car. Even if you are not interested in buying the car you will want to be able to compare otherwise you are just blinding yourself. You learn a lot by testing other cars and you learn to appreciate more things in the one you choose by doing so. I would reconsider Nick

Exactly Smiley

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

A friend of mine who has owned 360, 430, and lambo test drove it and told me don't waste my time. Nice drive and would consider it for his wife who later indicated no interest (too big of a rear end).

I am sure it a good GT car but regardless of representations, it is not a thoroughbred Ferrari. It is a capable GT which could have been built by any car manufacturer. Nothing more.

--

Tough comment but true: "It is a capable GT which could have been built by any car manufacturer. Nothing more."

I will test one soon just to experience the new gearbox.

--
    There is no try. Just do.

nberry:

I am sure it a good GT car but regardless of representations, it is not a thoroughbred Ferrari. It is a capable GT which could have been built by any car manufacturer. Nothing more.

Nick - Isn't it more of a "thoroughbred" than the 612?  To your second point, IMO it should offer a more satisfying driving experience than either an SL65, Bentley convertible, DB9/Vantage convertible, 997TT convertible etc. No other manufacturer builds such a car.

While it may not be for you, according to preliminary tests, it doesn't sound like a gutless Ferrari. In fact, it may offer similar performance to your 430 spider.

Finally, you make the California sound like a cheap Ferrari, while it costs about the same as the 430 coupe?

I

--
    997TT Blk/Blk 05 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

nberry:

A friend of mine who has owned 360, 430, and lambo test drove it and told me don't waste my time. Nice drive and would consider it for his wife who later indicated no interest (too big of a rear end).

He Nick, it's not very gallant of you to suggest that your friend's wife's rear end is too big to fit into a California! Smiley

Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    nberry:

He Nick, it's not very gallant of you to suggest that your friend's wife's rear end is too big to fit into a California! Smiley

Smiley

SmileySmileySmileySmiley

--

mp:
    nberry:

Nick - Isn't it more of a "thoroughbred" than the 612?  To your second point, IMO it should offer a more satisfying driving experience than either an SL65, Bentley convertible, DB9/Vantage convertible, 997TT convertible etc. No other manufacturer builds such a car.

While it may not be for you, according to preliminary tests, it doesn't sound like a gutless Ferrari. In fact, it may offer similar performance to your 430 spider.

Finally, you make the California sound like a cheap Ferrari, while it costs about the same as the 430 coupe?

I

I do understand the market and whether buyers will flock to the more expensive low end Ferrari remains to be seen. My view initially it will attract buyers though not as many Ferrari is hoping for. When the 450 replacement is introduced in Sept. which many claim will be the best looking Ferrari ever, then you're going to see a definite lack of interest in the CA GT. I am aware that the car seeks a different customer but after one look at the new 450, many CA customers will say why in the hell am I paying over $200,000 for this pedestrian looking car? Its performance as a Ferrari is less than a five year old 430.Smiley

The reason why this car will sell going forward is it will be represented as a way to get into the 450.

The California GT lacks a Ferrari presence . I would chose a AM DB9 (much better looking) PorscheTT(reliable and better performance) or a Maserati all for substantially less money. 

Fritz my man, your mind needs to be cleansed. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777428 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441772 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262803 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261005 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85271 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5592 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880686 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816061 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM