Crown

Forum - Thread

GT3 Newbie on the track - report and pics from Leipzig

Hi guys, as NoS during the Tourist days technically isn't a track but just a nice scenic toll road I still had to gather my first experiences with my new toy on a track. Kidding aside, NoS (even if you know the place rather well) is not the right place to learn how a new car behaves at the limit. A circuit with high safety standards and good instructors is the right way, hence I decided to participate in the Performance Training at Porsche's track in Leipzig.

The circuit is really excellent - basically a composition of famous GP-corners such as Suzuka-S, Sunset Bend, Loews, Lesmo, Victoria Turn, Mobil 1-S, Lesmo, Bus Stop...

They put me into Group 1, consisting of 4x 997 GT3 RS, 3x 997 GT3, 2x 996 GT3 MKII and 1x 997 GT2. I arrived a bit nervous and rather early at the parking lot and it was somewhat ironic that our Group got the parking places usually reserved for disabled visitors  Smiley

I became even more nervous when the other "disabled" guys arrived: one with a mini bus loaded with tires and his race prepped GT3 on a flatbed, the next one flew in while his Cup clone was brought from a race garage, third guy arrived in an evil looking RS in matt black - driver in a matching black t-shirt saying "death or glory". OMG - these guys will eat me for lunch SmileySmiley

During the sector training some of my group mates preferred to go sideways instead of bothering with the ideal line until the instructors reminded them that the Performance Training is not meant to be a drift challenge competition Smiley Meanwhile I focussed on how to handle the beast in the bends and it went better and better all the time Smiley It's so fascinating to learn how communicative and controllable the GT3 is - I just love it  Smiley

Before it was time for the free practice of our group I made the mistake to park beside the instructor's car, hence it was my job to take the "pole" and lead the crowd after the warm up lapSmiley Actually the performance in our group was rather homogeneous, so it wasn't a problem after all. I got smoked by a GT2 (of course...) and a modded 996 GT3, but could keep the rest of the pack behind me Smiley

Interesting to experience the comparo with the "sofa group" (like our instructor used to call the Turbo group) Smiley After 8-9 laps we were sniffing at their rears (which basically means an advantage of 5-6 sec per lap on this 3.7 km circuit). I had an interesting encounter with one of them who really knew how to drive the TT on the track. I let him overtake me just before Lesmo and I could watch how hard he had to fight with the car in the corner while I felt like enjoying an easy cruise (relatively speaking).  

During the assessment laps on Sunday the co-instructor had a tough time. Basically he has to watch the participants from the following instructor's car and to scribble down some comments after each corner. After ten laps his face was pale like a freshly washed blanket Smiley He claimed that he never had such problems when doing the same job in the Carrera group.

Talking about the Carreras: the FL 997 S goes extremely well in the straights - no light food for the GT3s Smiley I had a tough time to keep an instructor during his hot laps in the 997 S behind me, but at least it took him 3 laps to finally catch up close enough...

It was great to enjoy a hot lap with Jan Seyffarth behind the wheel of the GT3. When I entered the passenger seat he grinned and said: you GT3 guys are hard to impress by sheer speed, so I decided to show you something new - not the ideal line, but the race line Smiley This guy is an artist behind the wheel and his skills makes us amateur driver feel very humble Smiley

I did approximately 90 laps during the weekend and it's astonishing how the GT3 endures the abuse without any sign of fatigue - if one considers alone 90x braking before Loews from 200 km/h to almost pedestrian speed...

Also the Pirelli Corsas did very well and actually the instructors also preferred them over the Michelins (though officially they had to promote the Michelins of course) Smiley

GT3 is a simply awesome driver's car on the track Smiley

Enjoy the pics Smiley

2-diamant.JPG

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Re: GT3 Newbie on the track - report and pics from Leipzig

Noses and wings of group 1 Smiley 1-nose-parade.JPG 3-wings.JPG 4-GT3.JPG 6-Röhrl.JPG

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Some warm-up in the wet Smiley

5-pinta.JPG

--

Pacecar

11-pacecar.JPG

--

Waiting for the green light

12-pit1.JPG 13-pit2.JPG 14-pit3.JPG

--

Attacking the Mobil 1 S-corner (NBR-GP) Smiley

9-mobil-s-1.JPG 10-mobil-s-2.JPG

--

The copy is the original Smiley Bus-Stop in original shape (not the castrated version like it is today in Spa Smiley) 23-bus-stop.JPG 24-bus-2.JPG

--

Our little fight group was hold up by the TT Smiley

16-kampfgruppe.JPG

--

The Silver Bullets of our group Smiley 8-silver.JPG

--

Smiley 7-köche.JPG 17-catering.JPG 15-spiegel.JPG

--

Racecar collection in the "Diamond" Smiley

18-r1.JPG  19-r2.JPG  20-r3.JPG 

--

Preparing for a hot lap with Jan SmileySmiley

25-Jan.JPG

--

That was great!!

--
    73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs) Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2

This is how a GT3 has to spend its time and how it has to be driven

CONGRATSSSS

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

I spare you the view of a 997 GT3 (though not of our group) written off in the tricky Sunset Bend SmileySmiley

All other cars made it home in their original shape Smiley

In the Sunday afternoon session (open pitlane) there was not much traffic anymore - I guess the cars equipped with street tires were not fit for the track anymore. Basically only the GT cars (and some loaners Smiley) kept "racing".  I gave up when the track started to look like a rubber battlefield even on the ideal line (especially at the Loews corner). With the unavoidable pick up on the tires the car felt terrible and I decided to call it a day 20 minutes before the pitlane was closed.

On our way home I introduced the wifey to the 300 club Smiley The GT3 feels incredibly stable at this speed and the engine seems to become even more happy the higher you rev it - simply amazing Smiley

I did some 4,000 km with the baby meanwhile (thereof 850 km NoS/Leipzig) - the engine used 0.8 L oil and the low fuel thirst on the Autobahn is unexpected: 500 km @ 130 km/h average on our way home means that you need some high speed sectors to compensate for the restricted and/or busy legs on a Monday morning. The car used 13.2 L/100 km only.

On the track in Leipzig the PCM indicated 29.9 L/100 km (the 29.9 number is somewhat suspicious though...).

After 4 days almost all day long in the GT3 I had some serious problems when I got behind the wheel of the 5series this morning - I felt like a bus driver Smiley 

--

Seriously cool report, P-J, thanks very much.

I did this same course last fall and they put me in the GT-group too, with a loaner  997C4S Cab though...   Most of these guys look meaner in the parking lot than on the track (I was able to keep up with most of them, which says it all).

--

Matt C
    2005 997 C2S / 1988 911 3.2 Conv.

Exellent write up and absolutly fabulous pics . Thanks PJ . Happy to hear your comments on the C2S   so I ' ll be looking forward to pass some of these Gt3's !!! Smiley

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Just speechless and D... i envy you. Really stunning and great report like always. Thanks PJ. i'm really happy you enjoying your GT3. This car is really something.

--

Cayenne Turbo - Mini Cooper S - 997 GT3

Thank you thank you for sharing! Looks like a great day.

Great write up! Seems like you are getting a grip of the car. It truely is the best alround 911 in my view...

must make a mental note to buy it back soon

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Great write-up P-J, thanks!

GT3 is a great car for someone like you who knows how to handle it Enjoy!

I've driven on this track in May 2007, but unfortunately it was the worst day for unusually heavy rain, and the driving was very compromised. I hope to be able to go again.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Fantastic report with superb pics P-J  Thanks so much for sharing your experience  I'm really happy for you that you are truly enjoying your GT3 the way it should be enjoyed Smiley

In today's times, as you described, what people's equipment looks like in the parking lot just shows the size of their wallets - not the size of their talent

Thanks again  

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

WoW Achim, reading your experiences from track days is just GREAT !!!! SmileySmiley

Thanks for the effort and thanks for the 10 minute relax here at the office, which is quite helpful!!! Smiley

The GT3 is THE ULTIMATE car, I will never get bored saying this !!!! SmileySmiley

Thanks again !! Smiley

--

Wow!  This is the only place, including all British circuits, that I found I could drive flat out racing against others.  I was there last year in April and the Germans on our corporate days were lunatics (good for them!), I had a 4S drifting in Mobil1 (not that difficult as the 2nd part of the S is so close to the 1st you really get the car light on weight shifting as you are swinging back), the feeling of jamming the PCCBs with no fade whatsoever lap and lap after lap was mind boggling considering I cooked my own 997S steel brakes in the UK twice.  The only problem I found was the 4S inherent understeer under acceleration, but of course I am the one driving (so I need to do better!).

This circuit also offers 1 major plus compared to most others, it does not allow you too much time between turns, which means you are not sitting sometimes like in Silverstone for ages before lining up, and nearly all of them have some kind of combination to.

I am really happy I will be going in May again!

1 last thing, I was taken in a Cup car on the racing line, there is just no hope to reach anywhere remotely close EVER basically, anyhow you get sick pretty quickly if you want to stick it out as a passenger.

Great write-up and feeling very happy for you! How difficult does the car get when approaching the limit? Greetings... Smiley

Thanks guys, glad you liked the report Smiley It's rather difficult to describe all the sensations on the track even in your mother tongue let alone in a foreign language Smiley

It's like a parallel universe - my wife was complaining that I didn't pay enough attention to her when I returned to the parking lot after a stint Smiley  Actually I still was on the track in my mind going through all the corners one more time Smiley

@ Matt: you must be an excellent driver if you kept up with most of the GT cars in the cab Smiley

Actually mean look at the parking lot versus mediocre performance on the track also works the other way round. One guy in our group appeared like an "innocent" guy with his comfy specced 997 GT3. On the track he drove excellent and I could learn a lot by following him Smiley We had a nice chat at dinner and it turned out that he is the owner of a company serving as a supplier for the company I'm working with - I reminded him to be nice to me on the track, otherwise I'd let the head of our procurement department know...Smiley

@ Gnil: that's the spirit - good luck with chasing the GT3s Smiley

@ TEE:  hhhm, mental note...Smiley

@ Reginos: sorry to hear about your bad luck with the weather - I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can enjoy a sunny training this year. Actually Leipzig is more known for the wind, but not the rain (the wet stuff usually gets down near Dresden/Elbsandstein mountains).

@ Jag007: I fully agree with your comments on the Leipzig track. And yes, the drift boys love the Mobil 1-S Smiley It's rather safe with the huge meadow - the GT2 had to take the lawn mower line once. Which training did you book in May ? Maybe I'll see you at the g-Force ?

@ Ferdie: well, there is more than just one answer to your question - depending on the definition of the "limit" and the subjective impressions/experiences of the driver Smiley

I only can compare it to the 987S because I didn't drive other cars on the track (except for some Formula-cars and the KTM X-Bow, but these are very different animals Smiley).

Before I got the GT3 I always was very sceptical when some of my track buddies said that the GT3 is EASIER to drive on the track compared to their midengined brothers Smiley

Meanwhile I have to say, they were right Smiley

The rear engine layout may have a disadvantage to the midengined cars in theory (laws of physic). In real life with a humble track amateur behind the wheel the "disadvantage" suddenly turns into a big advantage: the GT3 indicates very well (and rather smooth until you do crazy things) when it reaches the limit and if you have a decent butt meter and operate the pedals and steering wheel smoothly it's pure joy to "play" with car. Of course the GT-cars provide even more feedback compared to the Carreras, which helps a lot in deciding what to do and increases the fun at the same time Smiley

What I did not try yet is a forced load change (lift off the gas or even worse: applying the brakes) in a fast corner - of course you wouldn't do such a crazy thing voluntarily, but you never really know what happens on a track...  Basically that's what they teach you in the g-Force training and one of our instructors gave a demonstration. I'll let you know at the end of May...Smiley  Leipzig.JPG

--

A nice picture of the track from Porsche. You can compare with the drawing above

wallpaper06_1280x1024[2].JPG

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Porsche Driving School offers "trackdays" in Hockenheim on a Sunday in June and July - it is the first time, that they offer "real" trackdays...anybody planning to sign up for it ?

Achim,thanks for sharing these great pics!!!

what an experience!!congratulations!

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

PJ, many thanks for sharing this experience! I enjoyed all the information and sentiment you conveyed, as well as all the photos (especially W. Rohrl's signature Smiley ).

I have a couple questions:

• It was great to enjoy a hot lap with Jan Seyffarth behind the wheel of the GT3. When I entered the passenger seat he grinned and said: you GT3 guys are hard to impress by sheer speed, so I decided to show you something new - not the ideal line, but the race line
      Did he mean turning in late, in order to be on the power much earlier? Or the race line to overtake and prevent overtaking?

• [...] the track started to look like a rubber battlefield even on the ideal line (especially at the Loews corner). With the unavoidable pick up on the tires the car felt terrible [...]
      So the tires picked up chunks of rubber, large enough to cause vibration? wow Smiley. At least a few people were running on soft slicks then?

I especially like what I have quoted below, because I have found the same thing: It seems that guys who are friendly and calm, rather than show-offs, are usually the fastest on the track. They always have a few tenths on everybody else that you cannot shave off your lap, unless you become equally content with the universe.  Smiley

[...]Actually mean look at the parking lot versus mediocre performance on the track also works the other way round. One guy in our group appeared like an "innocent" guy with his comfy specced 997 GT3. On the track he drove excellent and I could learn a lot by following him

--
    Costas

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689484 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409176 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255716 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234973 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65517 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857937 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773986 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM