Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Article about Cayenne Turbo

Just found THIS article on the web, maybe some of you guys already read it. In my opinion it is the best review of the Cayenne Turbo I ever read but make your own opinion.
    The review is written on 3(!) pages, just look at the bottom of that web page to make sure you read the whole thing.
    Comments are highly appreciated.

Re: Article about Cayenne Turbo

Yes, I saw it. I thought it was an excellent review and quite entertaining. I found that some Germans took offense to the introductory remarks so I didn't reference it here on this forum.

Now that YOU have brought it up, I guess it is fair game.

Here's another from Edmunds: web page.

Not a great review but I loved this quote:
    Quote:
    Like Anna Nicole after spotting a Krispy Kreme, the Cayenne Turbo somehow ignores its considerable heft and simply springs into action.

They also have some comments on the throttle response (lurching) issue that may be of interest. I have had the DME fix done and will add comments soon in that thread on RennTeam.

Quote:
    I found that some Germans took offense to the introductory remarks so I didn't reference it here on this forum.

Now that YOU have brought it up, I guess it is fair game.

There is nothing untrue in the article, so it really isn't a problem for me (and it surely shouldn't be a problem for other Germans). The dark past can't be denied and is part of world history but life goes on and personally I'm surely a very international kind of guy which loves different cultures and of course different opinions. So I don't see any problem with that article, well maybe UK media should sometimes use the reference to WW2 Germany a little bit less in not history related articles than they do now. Especially since the media usually reflects the feelings of the population.

Dumb, cutesy, inflammatory writing style, but decent review.

On Cayenne's style, I think it is clean, and can be refined nicely over the years. Compared to a Land Rover, it's modern, German and definitely not a box still harkening back to days of British gentleman on safari.

Jeremy is know for his anti-german prejudice comments in his car reviews especially against Porsche and BWM. Looks like he is bringing it up again, he always has to put that line in, I wonder what it has to do with cars. I recognised his biased and sensacionalist writting style, cheap metaphores and overexaggerated comments from the start. He is not a real "driver" like Tiff Needell who tries to be informative and passionate in his reviews but rather an "entertainer" who tries to make a show of it for the masses.

But the actual information in the review that pertained to the Cayenne itself was very good, I thought, to turn around Jeremy like that given his reputation is quite an achievement for the Cayenne.

I guess the AMG Mercs that Clarkson was flashing at to get past, weren't really trying.

Lord knows what would happen if they did try...

I believe he himself drives/owns a SL55 or SL500 currently.

yep, you're right. But I think he's selling it. he put an order down for a Ford GT.

It was his childhood dream car, almost as fast as a CGT, and about 100K GBP, so in his reach...

The author is quite famous in the UK and his style is always very entertaining.

If I remember well, he is also having a TV show called "Top Gear" which is extremely popular.

For example he hated Renault cars for quite a while and then he took the new Megane and crashed it at 30 mph against a wall without wearing a seatbelt and he walked away absolutely fine !!!! Since then, Megane sales in the UK are skyrocketting !!!!

I'm sure this article will help Cayenne sales in the UK.

Clarkson is famous worldwide.

Top Gear is a good show which comes every week, but it gets crapper and crapper. Jeremy's really unpredictable, one day he will slag off an E55, the other day, he will say that the Peugeot 306 is an all time classic. Go figure!

Another one of those people who has too much money than brains.

I remember one of the guys in Top Gear Magazine saying that Porsche called the Porsche 911 911 because of the Americans. So in case of an accident, they know what number to call. Meaning: Americans don't know how to drive fast. Is bashing of other nations a popular thing in UK media? Because people in the UK seem to be different: a very good friend of mine (he's German) lives in the UK and feels like home (his wife is from Scotland). Tiff was a different kind of guy, very professional, sometimes sarcastic but never really hurting. I'll never forget his 996 Turbo review, it's a classic.

RC, you're right. I can't explain the English, nor can I explain any other nation, we are who we are.

The reason why on Top Gear they said it was called the 911 is because of the old Porsche's, remember the ones with rear wheel drive and the engine at the back, it had a tendency to spin the car around. Thats why when you go round corners you are bound to have a crash and therefore need the emergency services, and in the US, their number is 911....

Even the Turbo, with its4WD, rear-engine, and LSD, can still spin if you enter a corner, brake late, and change down too early, am I right?

Quote:
    Even the Turbo, with its4WD, rear-engine, and LSD, can still spin if you enter a corner, brake late, and change down too early, am I right?

It is pretty difficult to make the 996 Turbo spin. As soon as one applies the brakes (even with PSM turned off), the PSM activates itself again and "takes over", making a real spin almost impossible. Of course there are ways to make the 996 Turbo spin but you really have to want and provoke it.

"the same 4.5-litre Turbocharged V8 that makes the 911 one of the most exciting sports cars......also works to create the worlds most speed crazed SUV" and there was me thinking that the 911 had a boxer 6 and that the cayenne engine was brand new, thank you edmunds for correcting me. Maybe edmunds should also drop a line to posche to tell them, because they don't seem to have noticed either; all their literature says 6 cylider turbo for 911 and new engine for cayenne. How can people who write for a living about cars be so wrong about basic facts????

Actually the quote is:
    Quote:
    The same 4.5-liter turbocharged V8 magic that makes the 911 one of the most exciting sports cars available for public consumption also works to create the world's most speed-crazed SUV.

Magic being the subject of the sentence, I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were referring to turbocharging magic and not V8 magic. Let's hope.

GM,

I'm affraid you're too kind ..... The reality is, they haven't a clue about what they write..... but may be I'm too harsh.

Quote:

GM,

I'm affraid you're too kind ..... The reality is, they haven't a clue about what they write..... but may be I'm too harsh.

Just out of curiousity, where do you think "edmunds" doesn't have a clue what they're writing about the Cayenne? I find the article pretty well put, a bit short and with a bit too much lack of criticism but nethertheless, I don't find anything wrong.
    As a German who's mother language isn't English, I understand that they refer to the turbo charging technique itself, not the V8 engine.

My apologies ... You're right, English isn't my mother tongue either and by reading the article again, I understand the author refers to the magic of a turbocharged engine and not a V8 or flat 6.

I was definitely too harsh.

Well ... yes ... you probably were. And it's big of you to concede that after the fact. Not everyone who posts on forums are able to do that so it's to your credit that you did.

However, let's not be too quick to let this writer completely off the hook. If we give the writer the benefit of the doubt and assume he's referring to turbocharging magic, then it is a poorly worded sentence that could lead to the misintrepretation we have seen here. It would be a little clearer to say 4.5 liter V8 turbocharging magic or, better still, drop the 4.5 liter V8 and just stick with the turbocharged magic you really want to refer to.

But, this is all armchair quarterbacking, analyzing after the fact. Edmunds has deadlines to meet and at some point you have to stop editing and publish something. The better writers make this job easier but they are hard to find and not always easy to deal with.

Quote:
    Edmunds has deadlines to meet and at some point you have to stop editing and publish something. The better writers make this job easier but they are hard to find and not always easy to deal with.

So there is still some hope for my writing style, Gary? I have to agree, a commercial site should set different standards.

Quote:
    So there is still some hope for my writing style, Gary?

There's nothing wrong with your style RC. Of the rennteam editors/moderators you and Fanch have the most talent, IMO. You have a great informative/persuasive style that is based on logical, flowing construction. Language barriers rarely get in the way. Fanch has this great conversational style that is very open and engaging. Very entertaining.

We have many talented contributors as well. This forum, more than most, seems to have many members contributing high quality information and engaging wit.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774272 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    439997 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261895 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260185 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84764 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879128 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    813856 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM