Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Glowing evo (p)review

"So that's the Panamera, and once again Porsche has taken an alien genre of car and made it work as a Porsche should. On this first encounter it's an extraordinary machine. Aston Martin's Rapide will have a tough job to trump this."

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/234677/porsche_panamera_in_motion.html

Re: Glowing evo (p)review

"Most of the torque goes to the rear wheels most of the time but it's possible, briefly, for all of it to flow to the front if the rear wheels find themselves gripless. A shaft runs from the centre differential forwards and slightly downwards to the front differential via a 'beveloid' gear; the front diff is built into the engine's crankcase and the left-hand front driveshaft passes within a whisker of a crankshaft counterweight. 

You can have a six-speed manual but Porsche expects most Panameras to contain seven-speed PDK gearboxes as fitted to our two test cars. The full gamut of dual-rate air suspension, active damping, active anti-roll bars and Porsche's usual Stability Management and Sport Plus settings is available in the Panamera, as you would expect."

Imagine if all their amazing technical skill was matched to design skill in something like this;

oldpan2.jpg

Read this from Autocar.

If this is not the quintessence of poor, "yellow" journalism, I don't know what it is.

He might not like the shape but what are all those idiocies about the handling of the car he happened to follow? Who is this Steve Suckcliffe anyway?autocarpanamera.jpg

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

What some seem to miss is "that looks mean EVERYTHING in a car" and also in many other areas of life.

This guy is right on the mark.

though the brown one with the black wheels playing in the sand looks like a nice suv in the pic

reginos:

Read this from Autocar.

If this is not the quintessence of poor, "yellow" journalism, I don't know what it is.

He might not like the shape but what are all those idiocies about the handling of the car he happened to follow? Who is this Steve Suckcliffe anyway?

Wrong. It is the quintessence of the Panamera, spot on and absolutely right.

Steve Sutcliffe is Autocar's most experienced road tester BTW, once again I find your stubborness intolerable. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

racerx:

What some seem to miss is "that looks mean EVERYTHING in a car" and also in many other areas of life.

This guy is right on the mark.

though the brown one with the black wheels playing in the sand looks like a nice suv in the pic

The Panamera will be a fantastic drive and people must give it that even those who don't like the looks or the concept.

Suckcliffe tries to distort even that,  by his very vague "pub talk" description of the car's handling on the basis of a car he followed!

--

Rossi:
    reginos:

Read this from Autocar.

He might not like the shape but what are all those idiocies about the handling of the car he happened to follow? Who is this Steve Suckcliffe anyway?

Wrong. It is the quintessence of the Panamera, spot on and absolutely right.

Steve Sutcliffe is Autocar's most experienced road tester BTW, once again I find your stubborness intolerable. Smiley

Suckcliffe's assessment of the car's  road manners, on the basis of a car he followed briefly, most probably a test cat , is not one from an experienced auto journalist. 

BTW the previous week the same magazine had  totally opposite  driving impressions  of the same car. I can only deduct that the man has his own agenda.

As to my "intolerable stubborness" signor Rossi I dont think you are any less stubborn but in the opposite direction.

--

Suckcliffe's impressions about the car's road manners also contrast heavily with this write up:

prereview.

At least this guy sat and rode in the car, unlike Suckcliffe who happened to follow one and observe the driver "being busy behind the huge wheel" and the "thing corkscrew at one point". I suspect the "autocar tester's" encounter was on his way back from his local pub.

--

A very nice write up!

Thanks.Smiley

Walter Röhrl was at the beginning very sceptic about Panamera, but after his first test drives he was amazed. We have a good friend in common. He told him, that the car is unbelievable in performance and handling. Panamera S/4S beats on the Nordschleife Audi RS6 easy, the RS6 has 160 HP more. We are not speaking about Panamera turbo with near F430 times!
    --

AM

ALDO:
    Walter Röhrl was at the beginning very sceptic about Panamera, but after his first test drives he was amazed. We have a good friend in common. He told him, that the car is unbelievable in performance and handling. Panamera S/4S beats on the Nordschleife Audi RS6 easy, the RS6 has 160 HP more. We are not speaking about Panamera turbo with near F430 times!

The handling is alright for Walter Roehrl but not for Obscure Mr. Suckcliffe of the Autocar magazine. Oh yes but Autocar recently are  very much into Jaguar XFs, trying to ressurect the anglo-indian marque; too busy for anything else. Smiley

--

reginos:

Suckcliffe's impressions about the car's road manners also contrast heavily with this write up:

prereview.

At least this guy sat and rode in the car, unlike Suckcliffe who happened to follow one and observe the driver "being busy behind the huge wheel" and the "thing corkscrew at one point". I suspect the "autocar tester's" encounter was on his way back from his local pub.

Next time I see a Zonda I ill write an article about how it drives... I will even try to follow it on an unrestricted motorway...let´s see my company car now is an Hyundai... so I think I can do it!!! SmileySmileySmiley

Some of this journalists should get another job!

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

When all is said and done, I'm sure the Panamera will win every plaudit for performance but I haven't yet seen a photo from any angle or in any color that makes the car look even remotely attractive or harmonious in its design. Not one.

--
    997 C4S FL

pnoble:

When all is said and done, I'm sure the Panamera will win every plaudit for performance but I haven't yet seen a photo from any angle or in any color that makes the car look even remotely attractive or harmonious in its design. Not one.

How about this one :

003_panameratech.jpg

(click o pic. to enlarge)

It really deserves bigger wheels...

Misha011,

Certainly one the best photos I have seen, but as with people, there are some who are just very photogenic and others who simply aren't but once in a while you catch them at the right angle.....dare I say.

--
    997 C4S FL

.... and then , we start to like them .

004_panameratech.jpg

It really does look like a squashed cayeene from that from angle. Its too big from every possible angle, i wonder why.

Pana & Cayenne.JPG

Factory showroom.jpg

Panamera is a big car , but nothing out of it's class .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690610 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409856 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256076 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235303 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4721 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858530 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774797 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM