Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

OT: Translate "No substitute" in Italian & German

Is there an "equivalent" phrase in German and Italian that expresses "there is no substitute"? Please translate for me. Thanks.

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein PSS10 (Review) + Cargraphic Exhaust (Heavenly Race Car Noise Smiley Review)

Re: OT: Translate "No substitute" in Italian & German

Ciao Can

in Italian "there is no substitute" is "non c'è sostituto"

but for me sounds better "non ci sono sostituti" translations "there are no substitutes"

ciauSmiley

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

'es gibt keine alternative'

in a phrase you would probably say:

............- keine alternativen !

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Isn't it more like "Es gibt keinen Ersatz" in German. Smiley

I suggest http://dict.leo.org There is a slight difference between "Es gibt keinen Ersatz" (there is no replacement) and "Es gibt keine alternative" (there is no alternative). From my understanding "There is no substitute" could be both?

intouch1/Rossi/Eunice,
    Thanks, and which one of you gentlemen is most German please? intouch1 is from Egypt, but he could be German; Rossi is from Germany, but he drives an Italian car; hmm... so Eunice is the one? (Kidding! Smiley)
    Bable translation site shows "es gibt keinen Ersatz." Out of curiosity, I saw the word "substitut" in German at the site that Eunice quotes, it doesn't translate to English "substitute"?

Also, I guess Porsche doesn't use this slogan in other countries?

(Darius, thanks. Italian version is settled then.)

--

Regards,
    Can
    997 Turbo + Bilstein PSS10 (Review) + Cargraphic Exhaust (Heavenly Race Car Noise Smiley Review)

Substitut is substitute, but no one uses it. I guess it's old fashioned and only used in some sciences.

I would translate it to "Durch nichts zu ersetzen", which sounds IMO more like the intended meaning (e.g. there's nothing comparable).
    --

Matt C
    2005 997 C2S / 1988 911 3.2 Conv.

Thanks goodness I speak Portuguese!Smiley

Matt C:
    I would translate it to "Durch nichts zu ersetzen", which sounds IMO more like the intended meaning (e.g. there's nothing comparable).
    --

Matt C
    2005 997 C2S / 1988 911 3.2 Conv.

"Durch nichts zu ersetzen" surely is the better sounding way of saying "Es gibt keinen Ersatz". Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

cannga:

intouch1/Rossi/Eunice,
    Thanks, and which one of you gentlemen is most German please? intouch1 is from Egypt, but he could be German; Rossi is from Germany, but he drives an Italian car; hmm... so Eunice is the one? (Kidding! Smiley)
    Bable translation site shows "es gibt keinen Ersatz." Out of curiosity, I saw the word "substitut" in German at the site that Eunice quotes, it doesn't translate to English "substitute"?

Also, I guess Porsche doesn't use this slogan in other countries?

(Darius, thanks. Italian version is settled then.)

--

Regards,
    Can

HA HA HA Smiley

Can, well I guess Eunice really must be the one. Smiley

BTW, if I remember correctly, in Germany Porsche used "Fahren in seiner schönsten Form" (Driving in its most beautiful way), which was created in 1967 (!), until the nineties, now (since 1994) the slogan is "So baut man Sportwagen" (That's how to build sportscars). Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

Thanks everyone for your help. (Spyderidol, what's the Portuguese version? OT: Our president is making your Water Dog very well known among Americans!)
    Sorry I am running out of picture so have to use this one which is not as nice as the other ones for my trial run -- Rossi I spent so much time writing the 2 *&^%$#@! dots on the O Smiley, hope I got the dots right.

08AE9761 TechArt German Dots No Effect.jpg

--

Regards,
    Can

Rossi:
    cannga:

intouch1/Rossi/Eunice,

HA HA HA Smiley

Can, well I guess Eunice really must be the one. Smiley

HAHAHHAASmileySmiley

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

@cannga - the Portuguese version is:  Não há substituto!Smiley

Yes, I'm familiar with the Water Dog extravaganza.  - Weird!!Smiley

PS I never get tired of seeing your car. It is stunningSmiley

Or perhaps "Das allerletzte Schlampenschlepper"?Smiley

Now that I think of it, "There Is No Substitute" isn't exactly a nice slippery expression that slips off the tongue and goes right to the brain.

"Substitute" is an awkward word to say, it rhymes with prostitute, tits, and utes! "Sub" isn't exactly a dominant word either.

I always thought it was a translation from the German, thus accounting for it sounding slightly off. Now it seems to be typically Porsche, excellent in all other ways but slightly off in the marketing and aesthetics department. It's kinda like the SC wart, quads and lobster fork wheels: evidence of just-below-excellent "styling."

How about, "Porsche, There is No Alternative." No equivalent. No parallel. No equal.

"Substitute" as a word with meaning isn't exactly "commanding"  it is a weak word, hard to say and not exactly positive.

--
    2007 997 Turbo

MMD:

Now that I think of it, "There Is No Substitute" isn't exactly a nice slippery expression that slips off the tongue and goes right to the brain.

"Substitute" is an awkward word to say, it rhymes with prostitute, tits, and utes! "Sub" isn't exactly a dominant word either.

I always thought it was a translation from the German, thus accounting for it sounding slightly off. Now it seems to be typically Porsche, excellent in all other ways but slightly off in the marketing and aesthetics department. It's kinda like the SC wart, quads and lobster fork wheels: evidence of just-below-excellent "styling."

How about, "Porsche, There is No Alternative." No equivalent. No parallel. No equal.

"Substitute" as a word with meaning isn't exactly "commanding" it is a weak word, hard to say and not exactly positive.

--
    2007 997 Turbo
    that's why i love it. It has a certain politeness to it. IMO if you claim there are no alternatives it's kind of rude because well there are. One could chose alternatives these days, especially regarding the turbo, but would those alternatives really substitute what the TT could do? No, because it's rear engine, front trunk, 2 door with space in the back layout is quite unique.

I think the no substitute works nicely because it implies a certain politeness to the sense, that of which Porsche is known. They are by all means not flashy or out there getting everyones attention like Ferrari/Lambos would.

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

Should read:

"There is no (OEM part on this car that we won't) substitute!"

--

Click for bigger picture!

Alex_997TT:

Should read:

"There is no (OEM part on this car that we won't) substitute!

HA HA HA. I almost fell off my chair laughing. Smiley

--

Regards,
    Can

Smiley

...well, maybe not the block, that's the best bit. 

But I suppose Porsche themselves are substituting that for us soon...

--

Click for bigger picture!

Spanish - "¡No hay sustituto!"

Matt C:

I agree. "Es gibt nichts Vergleichbares" would´ve been my suggestion.

However, nothing compares to Volkswagen´s "Funken Grüven"... Smiley

Cann, I see you're still adding tastefully to your baby, the Tech-Art spoiler look great.

ps: At first I thought this thread said there's no subsitute for an Itialian & German, I was going to say +1  

best.

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet, 06 Ferrari F430,  04 Durango HEMI,  04 Harley FLHTCSE,  93 Harley FLSTN

STRADALE:

Cann, I see you're still adding tastefully to your baby, the Tech-Art spoiler look great.

ps: At first I thought this thread said there's no subsitute for an Itialian & German, I was going to say +1  

best.

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet, 06 Ferrari F430,  04 Durango HEMI,  04 Harley FLHTCSE,  93 Harley FLSTN

LOL. And you were gonna grab a chair, sit back, and watch the ensuing fireworks, weren't you? Smiley Smiley

Anyway, thanks Gregg. I kinda like the TechArt lip because it is the least intrusive add-on that takes care of my slight problem with the stock lip.

You have not posted nearly as often as you used to; I take this a good sign that you are happy with the car!  Cheers and enjoy your beautiful cars (and motorcycles) in safety and good health.

--

Regards,
    Can

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691191 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410261 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256281 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65763 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858893 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775228 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM