Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

MMA Tapout Founder Dead After Crashing His Ferrari

Why is it every time I see a Ferrari in a wreck , the damn thing is always split in two halves like that just in front of the rear firewall?

Man, that's what scares the hell outta me about Ferraris.

Just sheered in 2 pieces. I don't know if they purposely design it like that or what, but I'm like WTF?!!! they can design Formula 1 cars to withstand 150-170mph accidents and the drivers cell doesn't SPLIT INTO TWO PIECES, but their street cars do and more often than not, the driver and passenger end up dead. Smiley

Full story after the pics ...

Charles Lewis Jr., better known to MMA fans as “Mask,” was killed in a hit-and-run accident early Wednesday morning in Newport Beach, Calif. Lewis was the founder of Tapout Clothing, Inc., and the face of its popular reality show on cable channel Versus. Several sources within the company confirmed his passing.

At 12:57 a.m., a Newport Beach Police cruiser spotted Lewis’ red Ferrari and a white Porsche driving out of control on the southbound side of Jamboree Road, according to Lt. Jim Amormino, a public information officer with the Orange County Sheriff’s Dept.

The Ferrari then struck the curb and hit a street light, tearing the car in half. After coming to a brief stop, the Porsche fled the scene. An unnamed female passenger was ejected from Lewis’ car in the crash. Newport Beach paramedics pronounced Lewis dead at the scene.

Newport Beach officers later spotted the Porsche and stopped its passengers, a male and female, who were seen walking away from the vehicle. Upon further investigation officers determined that the male, Jeffrey David Kirby, a 51-year-old resident of Costa Mesa, Calif., was the driver of the vehicle.

Kirby was arrested for gross vehicular manslaughter and taken to the Newport Beach Police Department. The female passenger, Lynn Marie Nabozny, a 32-year-old resident of Newport Beach, was arrested for public intoxication and released Wednesday morning. Kirby’s bail is set at $1 million. The results of a blood alcohol test administered at the jail are forthcoming. No further motive for the accident is known at this time, according to Amormino.

--
    ...the only thing stopping you, is you!

Re: MMA Tapout Founder Dead After Crashing His Ferrari

--

Very disturbing these images of the Ferrari split in two, whatever the speed and the size of impact. IMO Ferrari S.p.A is more to blame than this Mr. Kirby.

People who use their Ferraris only to cruise around and park outside bars, restaurants, hotels and clubs know something more, I think! 

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

The Challenge Stradale seems to be literally wrapped around the lamp post. Not sure if any car could withstand such a crash? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    The Challenge Stradale seems to be literally wrapped around the lamp post. Not sure if any car could withstand such a crash? Smiley

--

I am not sure either, but I would expect this kind of wreck from a tuned Honda Civic and not from a mythical hypercar.

--

Kirby... Is that the guy known on several forums as Itzkirb?

Never heard of Charles lwes, MMA or tout btw...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Rossi:

--

I was a fan, this is horrible.

ps: I'm convinced the troll says stupid, ignorant stuff just to get a reaction, emailing Eunice because we really need the ignore button back.

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet, 06 Ferrari F430,  04 Durango HEMI,  04 Harley FLHTCSE,  93 Harley FLSTN

Tragic accident - RIP

Guys, multiple threads have been created on the same incident. Please post all replies on this thread. Thanks Smiley

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

I suspect it is not the first time he has been involved in a street race. I also believe something caused him to lose control of the car and IT was not the speed. As I have written several times, the unknowables in street racing make this an exercise in Russian roulette.Smiley

Then again, if he did not track this car how else would he use it.Smiley

Finally, the driver of the Porsche is going to jail for a very long time. There never are any winners in this foolish exercise.

--

I did not know the prominent driver but this must be one of the worst looking accidents ever seen. 

What is the legal accusation for Mr. Kirby? Was he arrested for fleeing the scene or being technically responsible for the accident? He obviously wasn´t primarily charged for street racing?

In California, if a person is injured as a result of a speeding contest (street racing) they can be charged with a felony. Since this person died, the prosecutor will be charging the Porsche driver with involuntary manslaughter which can lead to several years in jail.
    --

nberry:
    In California, if a person is injured as a result of a speeding contest (street racing) they can be charged with a felony. Since this person died, the prosecutor will be charging the Porsche driver with involuntary manslaughter which can lead to several years in jail.
    --

Which sounds perfectly ok to me, as long as there is a fair trial, of course.

Speeding isn't the worst crime on earth, but from the looks of that Ferrari that was an all out race. Race tracks with tons of safety precautions are there for a reason.

Eunice:
    nberry:
    --

Which sounds perfectly ok to me, as long as there is a fair trial, of course.

BTW it would have the same legal consequences over here in Germany. Involuntary manslaughter = fahrlässige Tötung.

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

nberry:
    --

What amount of evidence is required to establish "street racing"? Are there predescribed parameters? Because an eye witness might say "they were speeding like maniacs" for example, which could mean all sorts of different things.

--

RE: what you said on the other locked thread- I said it before I realized there were 2 identical threads, so when I saw something on one & then went to the other thread (without realizing I  was on another thread) I thought you removed it. No biggy.  
    --

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet, 06 Ferrari F430,  04 Durango HEMI,  04 Harley FLHTCSE,  93 Harley FLSTN

^^^Yeah, no it was my fault. I double posted. I was in the Ferarri forum when I hit send and thought I was in the Off Topic Forum.

--

wow, that is tragic Smiley he has done a lot for MMA. RIP.
    --

nberry:
    --

In this case, the person who died (in the Ferrari) probably voluntarily took part in the race.  This person didn't have to engage.  Why should the person in the other car (the Porsche) be charged for manslaughter of this Ferrari driver? Smiley

In other words, if you engage, you should take responsibility for your actions also, whether it's an innocent bystander, or your own life.

--

I read that the Porsche driver was drunk this time and had a previous DUI also.  He has been ticketed 8 times since 2000.  This will not look good for him in court.  I was recently told that if you are racing and there is a death you will be charged with murder here in Florida.  We just had a guy in a Turbo that was racing a rice rocket and lost control went onto the sidewalk and hit 2 tourists from GB.  They are still trying to determine the driver here and once they get enough evidence they will charge him with murder.

Since he is being charged with a felony, the burden of evidence rises to "beyond a reasonable doubt".

Though a demanding burden, short of a confession circumstantial evidence will do. It is my understanding the two cars were side by side from the start to the point when one car lost control at speeds in excess of the speed limit.  If you were sitting on the jury, what would you conclude.Smiley

--

Apparently there was contact between the Porsche and the Ferrari that caused the F to lose control, according to witnesses. The Porsche driver will be charged with vehicular manslaughter I suspect.

nberry:

Since he is being charged with a felony, the burden of evidence rises to "beyond a reasonable doubt".

Though a demanding burden, short of a confession circumstantial evidence will do. It is my understanding the two cars were side by side from the start to the point when one car lost control at speeds in excess of the speed limit.  If you were sitting on the jury, what would you conclude.Smiley

--

With regard to the Porsche driver ... Since I'm sure his car is going to be impounded, it wouldn't be hard at all to go into the car's computer and see what's been going on with the engine, throttle, and shifting. 

If I remember correctly Porsche computers log and timestamp data when they're run hard, especially if they bang the rev limiter/fuel cutoff because he Porsche techs use it in defense of warranty claims.

It'll be damn near impossible to defend that you weren't street racing if the last hour of data contains data showing 100% duty cycle on the  injectors, full throttle application, inordinately high RPMs on the engine, etc.

--

You can see the following  overrevving info and when they occurred:

6 ranges broken down as:

Range 1: 7300-7500 RPM
    Range 2: 7500-7700 RPM
    Range 3: 7700-7900 RPM
    Range 4: 7900-8400 RPM
    Range 5: 8400-9500 RPM
    Range 6: 9500-11000 RPM

--

The computer also provides time/date stamp?Smiley

If so, that would create serious problems for all owners.Smiley

--

nberry:

The computer also provides time/date stamp?Smiley

If so, that would create serious problems for all owners.Smiley

--

Hours of operation it occurred, so you can compare to current hours reading and see how long ago it happened.

--

It's a 1977 Porsche, according to the article.  So, no computer.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/newport-beach-car-2331515-ferrari-passenger?orderby=TimeStampDescending&showRecommendedOnly=0&oncommentsPage=40

--

Heist:
    nberry:

--

With regard to the Porsche driver ... Since I'm sure his car is going to be impounded, it wouldn't be hard at all to go into the car's computer and see what's been going on with the engine, throttle, and shifting. 

If I remember correctly Porsche computers log and timestamp data when they're run hard, especially if they bang the rev limiter/fuel cutoff because he Porsche techs use it in defense of warranty claims.

It'll be damn near impossible to defend that you weren't street racing if the last hour of data contains data showing 100% duty cycle on the  injectors, full throttle application, inordinately high RPMs on the engine, etc.

--

Or, you could look at damage to the Ferrari, the dent in the Porsche where they connected before the accident and listen to witnesses.Smiley

"Before dawn Wednesday on a long, straight stretch of road in Newport Beach, Calif., Charles Lewis was killed when his red Ferrari collided with a white Porsche in an accident so violent that the red sports car was ripped in half and his female passenger was hurled into the street."

SoCal Alan:

It's a 1977 Porsche, according to the article.  So, no computer.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/newport-beach-car-2331515-ferrari-passenger?orderby=TimeStampDescending&showRecommendedOnly=0&oncommentsPage=40

--

Oh damn!

Foolish man...and he's 51. I got all that street racing crap out of my blood by my early 20's. 

--

A couple of questions come to mind.

Why would he want to race a 1977 Porsche?Smiley

Also, if the woman passenger was thrown clear of the crash, does that mean she wasn't wearing her seat belt and survived whereas that the driver was wearing his and died?Smiley

--

nberry:

A couple of questions come to mind.

Why would he want to race a 1977 Porsche?Smiley

Answer:  Alcohol + Testosterone + Newport Beach + Female Passenger + 2AM + Jamboree Road + Stupidity

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774669 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440243 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262017 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260284 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84822 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879314 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814120 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM