Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Boxster S - Cayman S engine a reality for next MY?

Just got another "hint" regarding the rumored Cayman S engine for the next Boxster S model year.
    It seems to come from a pretty reliable source, so it may be true.

I know that 15 HP and a little bit of torque don't sound much but it will definetely make the Boxster S much faster than it may look from the specs. I suppose one second less from 0-125 mph should be possible with this engine and of course much better torque figures at lower rev ranges.

BTW: maybe the Boxster S really gets the Cayman S engine BUT maybe just the engine, not the power. Meaning: Cayman S 3.4 l engine with the same 280 HP power figure. This would make SOME sense to me because 295 HP in both cars would actually "kill" Cayman S sales in my opinion, especially if the price difference between both models stays the same.

Re: Boxster S - Cayman S engine a reality for next MY?

Anything is possible with Porsche's marketing and accounting people, but even Porsche isn't so cynical as to give the 987S more displacement but no more hp. A more typical move would be either more displacement but no VariocamPlus, and make it 285hp or so (a token increase to justify their cost savings with parts standardization), or simply increase the price of the Boxster S to be the same or nearly the as the Cayman and give it the exact same powerplant.

I think number 2 is more likely, but that's just my gut feeling.

I have heard somewhere else that the 2000-2200rpm resonance problem in the 3.2L engine is more widespread and more difficult to eliminate than previously thought...is there any chance that Porsche feels this is the cheapest way to rid themselves of this problem? I am merely curious for others thoughts, I certainly cannot substantiate such a thing.

mcdelaug

More displacement with no HP gain? When has that ever happened in automotive history? I really hope the Cayman breaks the psychologically important 300hp barrier. Then I can start thinking about getting one.

Crap this always happens. You buy something(my May '06 delivery Boxster S)and then they come out with something new the next year!

We may save the money from the expected price increase and invest it into some nice glasses of Bitburger

If the Boxster only had some serious power, then I would dump my 996 TT and go with the Boxster alone (even though the power of an enhanced Boxster engine wouldn't reach anything close to the TT, it still is more fun to ride the Boxy... and if it had... uhmmm... let's say in the 300 hp range, then I would seriously consider selling my TT).

Seriously... I think that the Boxster is more fun to ride than any 911 (no matter whether 996 or 997) and at least to me, it even looks better. The 911 will always have the "myth" bonus, but I can't feel anything of that myth left when driving a 996 or 997.

Plus I am all in for convertibles... and I really don't like (and never liked) 911 convertibles... it kinda ruins the side roof line of the 911, which to me is and was always one of the most prominent 911 design features. Thus a 911 convertible would never be an option for me.

The Boxster has the more modern design (seen from all perspectives). With the Cayman bumper (which I put on my Boxster), to me, it's the perfect Porsche.

Just see how much more dominant the boxster's rear end looks when compared to a standard 997:

Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:

Seriously... I think that the Boxster is more fun to ride than any 911 (no matter whether 996 or 997) and at least to me, it even looks better. The 911 will always have the "myth" bonus, but I can't feel anything of that myth left when driving a 996 or 997.

Strong statement, but you made sure to post it at the right board
    As RC recently said in another thread: the 987 S FEELS faster than 997 S, whereas 997 S IS faster than 987 S - quite simplified but IMO correct observation. Even if some people would claim that the real enthusiast always has to join the "IS faster..." camp, to me it's all about the pure subjective drive feeling and nothing else

Agree with you that the 997 cab misses the beautiful roofline of the coupé (IMO best design part of the 997 and any other predecessor). I'm always astonished when some people judge the Boxster as "small" or "cute" - in fact the Boxster butt is some mm wider compared to the 997, but of course perception is influenced by overall proportions.

Also the longer I look at the 987 the more I appreciate the IMO cleaner and more masculine look compared to the 986.

As for the missing power - the problem will be resolved over time anyway (my gut feeling says some 320 ponies would be quite perfect for the car). Even if this will take place in a couple of years only (maybe 988 ?) and all M3, S4 and so on will struggle to transform the power of ridiculous 600 HP into traction at the final stage of the HP-war, I know what to buy then

To quote Walter Röhrl from an interview he gave in September 2004: perfect sportscar = center of mass in the middle of the car, curbweight 1,100 kg, 300 HP

"To quote Walter Röhrl from an interview he gave in September 2004: perfect sportscar = center of mass in the middle of the car, curbweight 1,100 kg, 300 HP"

So Walter owns a 914/6 with a tweaked 993 engine?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

So Walter owns a 914/6 with a tweaked 993 engine?

LoL - that's a good one
    Actually he was dreaming of an affordable lightweight midenginged P-car designwise somewhere between CGT and Boxster - the modern interpretation of a 914/6 fired by a tweaked 993 engine

Lets hope his dreams become my reality!

I share your dream

Porsche Jeck, I dont think we will see that 1100kg 300hp Porsche anytime soon. They prefer writing the option list first and then design the car to fit, that is Porsches design philosophy these days.

And anyway, Porsche has forgotten how to make a light weight sports cars. I dare them to make one~!

Just look at Weidiking, he would need a crane to lift him into a 914 like new Porsche, so a small lightweight Porsche will not be a future model anytime soon, unless Porsche patents a "DoppelSitz" option for extra wide drivers

A Cayman Club Sport could be close

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Just look at Weidiking, he would need a crane to lift him into a 914 like new Porsche

ROFL Now I understand why they invented the Cayenne
    Agree with you that the lightweight P will remain a dream - Porsche just follows the stupid mainstream HP/weight spiral: lust for more power + luxury amenities = bigger engine + luxus gadgets = more weight = need for more power = bigger engine and so on....
    BTW WR was of the opinion that a 1,100 kg car could have all the common safety features (ABS, PSM etc.), but I'm wondering how to achieve the 1,100 kg then without using ultraexpensive lightweight materials

If i were to speculate, i think the MY07 Boxster will have a 3.4L engine, with a modest increase in power over the 3.2L, like 285hp or 290hp.

Thanks as always, RC, for the information. My decision date is very near to either proceed with a MY06 or hold out for a MY07. Any idea when the MY07 cars go into production incorporating these changes? Can dealers get build dates for MY07 cars this far in advance?

Quote:
    akbox2go said:
    Any idea when the MY07 cars go into production incorporating these changes? Can dealers get build dates for MY07 cars this far in advance?

MY 07 production will start in Sep. 06.

I agree that Porsche's cars tend to steadily gain weight, but it should be noted that some of this isn't avoidable.

A lot of the current weight and expense in sportscars has been mandated by safety legislation, and with good reason. The multiple airbags, ABS brakes and structural bracing in the doors and body panels accounts for a lot of the weight cars have gained since the 914 era. Tires and wheels have steadily grown over time too. It's not all luxury gadgets and lazy engineering, although there IS plenty of that too.

mcdelaug

Thanks, Martin. I don't think I'll wait for the new MY. If I do, I'll receive my new Boxster just in time to put it to bed for the season here in Alaska.

Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:

Actually it should be in the market by that time. Production should begin in mid summer.

The days are numbered for any changes to my MY06 order, so I met with my dealer to discuss this 3.4L engine rumor.

The dealer actually made a few phone calls to Atlanta and reported that there was no scheduled engine change for the MY07 Boxster S. Their person in Atlanta suggested that the rumor more than likely comes from the current plan of placing the 3.2L Boxster S engine into the new base Cayman. This does seems to make some sense with Porsche's current performance/pricing scheme.

Bottom line for me - I'm sticking with the MY06 order and hoping that the strike does not impact my delivery date!

Quote:
    harryo2b said:
    Crap this always happens. You buy something(my May '06 delivery Boxster S)and then they come out with something new the next year!

That's why you should always wait and wait and wait... because a better, faster and more powerfull model is just around the corner

Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:

It actually starts in July.

Quote:
    akbox2go said:
    The dealer actually made a few phone calls to Atlanta and reported that there was no scheduled engine change for the MY07 Boxster S. Their person in Atlanta suggested that the rumor more than likely comes from the current plan of placing the 3.2L Boxster S engine into the new base Cayman. This does seems to make some sense with Porsche's current performance/pricing scheme.

Phone calls...they reveal so much information.

A. putting the Boxster S engine into the Cayman base model would be absolutely dumb, I can't even believe that somebody from PCNA would tell people such a thing
    B. not even at Porsche Germany, if you go the "official" way, can you get any info about engine upgrades or whatever for the next model year (not because they don't want to give them but they simply don't know).

But no matter if the next MY Boxster S gets the Cayman S engine or not, the Boxster S is still fun. Of course people always want the newest and best stuff but almost every few months, Porsche changes something during production, usually "invisible" things. And every two to three years, the changes are more obvious. It doesn't make sense to always want to wait for the "latest" and "best".

RC, sure, but a cayman S engine in a 987 would maybe be a good incentive for me to upgrade my 986S. I have tried both the 987S and the Cayman S....and it I would hate to buy a 987S now knowing that another engine *might* be soon available. It's always the case, I know that, but here it's so easy for Porsche to actually do it that I think it's fair to expect this to happen anytime.
    I still think this engine should have been in the 987S from the first day. Full stop.
    :-)

Quote:
    akbox2go said:
    The days are numbered for any changes to my MY06 order, so I met with my dealer to discuss this 3.4L engine rumor.

The dealer actually made a few phone calls to Atlanta and reported that there was no scheduled engine change for the MY07 Boxster S. Their person in Atlanta suggested that the rumor more than likely comes from the current plan of placing the 3.2L Boxster S engine into the new base Cayman.

The base Cayman will not have a 3.2L engine--it will have today's base Boxster engine. Dealer didn't necessarily get all of the correct info.

That said, going with your present order is going to give you a great car that you already want--have fun with it! I am just waiting for my Mar 16 build date... (went with the base rather than the S this time)

yeah, I could see if coming.

Porsche hasnt done enough to the 987S engine (from the 986) to classify it as a model change.

and maybe the 987S engine is near its max power capabilies already, hence a new engine seems reasonable.

and the Cayman S engine would be the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade the S.

just wondering what they gonna do with the base Box?

Quote:
    BSL said:
    The base Cayman will not have a 3.2L engine--it will have today's base Boxster engine. Dealer didn't necessarily get all of the correct info.

With all due respect, you speak on this with a lot of authority. What do you base your information on?

Quote:
    intheloop said:
    With all due respect, you speak on this with a lot of authority. What do you base your information on?

Conversations with people the dealer would not have been talking to.

I hope that it didn't come across wrong, just wanted to provide a little insight.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759611 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433745 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259739 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256882 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80595 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5305 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870691 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805697 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM