Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Time for a new car.... what will it be....?

nearly 4 yrs in my 987 2.7L boxster.  time for a new car.  wifey says yes, so whats stopping me??!

my short list:  (in that order)

1) C63

2) FL Cayman S

3) -now off the list.  M3 coupe manual.

now.... i like the C63 cos of the practicality and its a fair bit cheaper than M3 (in Oz). better reliability (than M3) and the comfort of the auto tranny, esp after a long day at work.

never driven it, will be having a test drive in the next week. but like the interior, except some cheap plastics on the dash.   love all the luxury accesories like lumbar support, voice control etc.

things against:  well.  I KNOW I will miss the boxster handling, esp on a sunny Saturday afternoon. ..... telling chicks I drive a Porsche (cant do it now that I am married)....

re Cayman S FL.... I drove the 3.4 Box before and looooove the engine. my only bet is the DFI 3.4 will be even more desirable. 

it costs a tad more than the C63, but in OZ, its all pretty much optioned up, with PCM and everything I wants (except PASM).

things against:   interior looks the same as my 987 box, and i dont like the PDK, hence still will get a manual, therefore, sux being stuck in traffic. and practicality is, well... same as now..

M3... well. I just cant convince myself getting another BMW when the one I had ages ago died on me after 4 years.  yes, literally just died in the middle of the road....

so....  pls put down your thoughts.

PS. I dont have $$ to buy both....

Re: Time for a new car.... what will it be....?

I would probably take an C63 over an Boxster/Cayman.

The 8 Cylinder engine rocks, the sound is amazing. Further on, for less money you just will get much more car. 

1. FL Cayman S with diff

2. If you need the space, I would take the M3 Coupe over a C63 any time. Since its a much more driving oriented car, even if the sound and the engine of the C63 is just breathtaking.

Since you already take a Cayman into your considaration I think you are the type of guy that enjoys a good sporty and direct steering feel with a sporty overall setup.

If you are looking for a fast and comfortable car, take the C.

How about a Boxster S FL and save some cash?

C63 all the way.

Wow, the C63 and Cayman are night and day different. I like both but if I could only pick one of those two I'd reconsider the M3.Smiley

@derder: Hi mate, I find the shortlist confusing. Why? Because you're comparing a convertible sports car, a hot coupe and a hot saloon. You can see my point. You need to ask yourself what you need the car for, what compromises/practicality you need or can do without and THEN make a shortlist according to what will suit your needs. At the moment, IMHO you're comparing totally different categories of car.
    --

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Why no S5?

I to find your lis all ower the place...

:)

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

If you plan to extend your family sooner or later, the C63 should make more sense. I can totally understand where you are coming from, I´d have similiar considerations and difficulties to decide. Take the C-class for a spin and consider afterwards. It´s an entirely different sensation than the Boxster or Cayman.

C63 for sure.
    --
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

c63 all the way!
    --
    09 Ferrari 430 Scuderia

thanks all.

I know what u mean re a confusing list.  but from a buyers point of view (with a set budget), I choose the cars I like in taht price point.

both Cayman S and C63 are within my budget, below 180k AUD 

I was looking at the standard 997FL before, but from what I read, I rather get a Cayman S FL and save 50k.

and yeah, they couldnt be more different cars, but thats the whole point of choosing cars isnt it?!  and the only thing I dont like about the Cayman S is that its looks too similar to my Boxster and also, 911's proportion and shape is much much better.

I am leaning towards the C63, pending my test drive this week.

FL Cayman S is not in Aus yet.

and provided I can get a killer deal, its the one.

Have another look at the M3. New cars are reliable and have warranties and the M3 is much closer to the sprit of a true sports car than the C63. 

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1541611/2008_mercedes_c63_amg_vs_2008_bmw_m3_sedan/

--

Go and testdrive the C63....unless you track a car frequently it's so much fun...plus it's a true everyday car with huge low grunt whereas with the M3 you always have to wind it up to get into the pleasurezone...Looking forward to yr testdrive comments

If you look for performances , handling and usability , I think M3 is the best choice...

well its a tough choice as, specially because you dont want PDK for the FL 987S ?...

For me its quite clear, I would go for a cayman S with pdk + sport chrono plus + PSE, imo, it will be the better car overrall, I'm sure performance will be exactly the same as a 997 facelift version, its a little car(you can park it anywhere, well you know that Smiley), its perfect for the weekends drives, its a porsche, and last but not least, depreciation....it will be the best resale value from those 3 cars in your mind....AND also if you return your boxster as a part of the payment to an official porsche dealer, you will probably pay less and your car will have more value.

Anyways, a MB C63 AMG, sounds and looks amazing, but in about 1-2 years time, it will look like an old model, and of course dont doubt the depreciation will be a hell lot more than the porsche...Also have in mind there is plenty of time to own  a Mercedes Benz, probably when you get to 60 years old?? Smiley Smiley

I would definately go with this formula :

√ Cayman S * [ (pdk) + (spc) + (pse) ] = ∞ fun !!! Smiley

--

M3 !

yeah, I know what u mean about depreciation.

I guess I will find out when I trade my car in.

but I m guessing I will get more $$ bk if I trade it in for another Porsche.

I am still leaning towards the C63 tho...

but due to over whelming demand, will visit BMW tomorrow....

stay tuned.

shopping is so much fun!

As I said m3 better on track c63 better on roads - as for the Porsche you will probably always question yrself why not the 911 in the first place when one passes you're way...

m3 is a hint at sports car

c63 is a hint at drag racer

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

m3 is a hint at sports car

c63 is a hint at drag racer

--

Well said. Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

yeah, the 911 vs Cayman S debate has been done to death here and elsewhere.

I too had a hard time deciding, but now that I am married, I need to think about my partner as well.

financially I can afford the base 911, but getting the Cayman S would be much more confortable for me and have a spare 50k to spend elsewhere. eg on my wife!

and Cayman S is 95% of a base 911.

but anyway, been to BMW dealership today.

really average service and they dont even want to trade in my car!! they told me to sell it on my own! WTF!??

so stuff them!

so its down to Cayman S and C63 now.   same as before!

TBC.....

derder:

and Cayman S is 95% of a base 911

that is exactly the problem......while the cayman s might be the more rewarding drive it simply is no 911. it's not an icon. its a good car for sure but it's bigger more established brethren is always there.....

furthermore, the 997 with it's rear buckets is far more usable than the cayman.

i'd say go c63 or go the whole way and get yourself a nice base 997.

personally, on a limited budget i'd go for a used 997 S. especially in the current economy.

--

intouch1:
    derder:

and Cayman S is 95% of a base 911

that is exactly the problem......while the cayman s might be the more rewarding drive it simply is no 911. it's not an icon. its a good car for sure but it's bigger more established brethren is always there.....

furthermore, the 997 with it's rear buckets is far more usable than the cayman.

i'd say go c63 or go the whole way and get yourself a nice base 997.

personally, on a limited budget i'd go for a used 997 S. especially in the current economy.

--
    +1

Get the Cayman unless you NEED backseats.
    --

Tom
    09 AMV8 Vantage

Hey Derder, you haven't test driven the C63 yet?  I think that is a wise choice given your options!  Been really happy with ours, except for the size because of the baby.  Because of that, I have been thinking of selling the X3 (which no one in the family really likes), and the C63 to get a R36 and another 997 FL or the Cayman S FL.  Issue with that is that I really hate the switches on the Porsche PDK.

You can get any of these cars and also perhaps an Audi S4 or S5 and be happy with your choice and also you will be able to justify your choice to yourself. Much also depends on how long you keep your cars. The C class and 3 series date very easily and lose their sparkle, the Porsches are more timeless.

IMO there are no bad cars at this level but on the other hand no car can satisfy 100% of your requirements. Much depends on perceptions about the various brands which could be meaningless in final analysis. For example I am a Porsche fan and I would buy the Cayman but another person likes BMWs or Mercedes. None are right or wrong.

You might as well toss a coin and choose by elimination Smiley

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Hi Wayne,

glad to know u still have your C63!! I m surprised u havent bought another car....

Benz cant get me a car for test drive until end of the month. 

and delivery July earliest.  thats a long time to wait....

so it down to Cayman S (manual- cos i dont like the PDK buttons like Wayne) or C63. 

i like the C63 more, but only if I get a good deal for a trade-in. 

I m not going to throw my old car for nothing.  in this economy, cash is in my pocket and they need the business.  so let the haggling begins!

Hi derder,

Did you test drive the C63?  Would be interested in your thoughts.

In Oz the C63 does seem the best value when compared to the M3 (and your experience with the trade in says a lot about the service from the BMW dealer!) but have you looked at the ISF??  I see Evo loved theirs so maybe worth having a look at?

I asked my Merc dealer if the C63 was included in their current sales promotion but it was not.  However they happened to have one on the floor and were keen to get me in to talk about it.

Sounds like you are only interested in a new car?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759694 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433791 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259749 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256908 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80606 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5305 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870722 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805752 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM