Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayenne or Panamera?

I would be curious to know who is going to make the move from Cayenne to Panamera when she is introduced later this year?

I have my name down to trade my CTT08 in for a Panamera (probably the Turbo). The logic behind it is that we don't need two 4x4's in the family and I really like a luxury saloon sportcar. I would love a 911 but this is just not practical in our family.

So who us up to change his Cayenne in for the Panamera?

--
    2008 Cayenne Turbo - 2007 BMW X5 4.8is (sold) - 2007 Landcruiser Prado - 1997 Wrangler TJ - 1957 LR

Re: Cayenne or Panamera?

just my thoughts....panamera is not really an addition if you've already got a cayenne. for our roads an suv is simply more practical than a 4 dour saloon.

if you will replace, then make sure you replace turbo for turbo or else you will be disappointed i guess.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I think I will keep the Cayenne. Panamera should not cost more than the Cayenne...

Mark,i will change my Cayenne as soon as the all new Cayenne will be on sale.

I'm not interested in the Panamera,becouse in a  Cayenne i can make the same thing that i can make with a Panamera,but with a Panamera i can't make the same thing i can do with a Cayenne..SmileySmiley

Cayenne,more baggage room,a better driving position(higher),off road capabilities,etc.

A Panamera TT maybe is slightly faster than a Cay TT...but i don't what to go in a track with a boat..so is not so much important that is faster,on the road i think it will be difficult to see big difference in performance.

for my priorities,this is...

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

Super Darius:

I'm not interested in the Panamera,becouse in a  Cayenne i can make the same thing that i can make with a Panamera,but with a Panamera i can't make the same thing i can do with a Cayenne..SmileySmiley

--
    Darius, you are speaking of making love to a women in the cargo area? Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

hahahha yesssSmiley
    --

Thanks guys, I am starting to get doubts now, OK we have a 4x4 already so I can have wifie in her Smileybooth. Indeed sitting higher is an advantage but does that stop me from buying a panamera (not so sure). And although i don't expect the panamera to perform as a 911, I hope she is going to be more sportscar like a Cayenne (with all due respect as my CTT is a beast on the road, just doesn't corner like a sports car even with PDCC etc.

OK, more takers to change their Cayenne for a Panamera????

--
    2008 Cayenne Turbo - 2007 BMW X5 4.8is (sold) - 2007 Landcruiser Prado - 1997 Wrangler TJ - 1957 LR

i changed my cayenne for a X6 thus having opened a slot for a 4-door porsche.....so yes, maybe a panamera...
    --
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Let me put it this way: if you have lots of extreme weather situations like snow and heavy rain, I would definetely prefer the Cayenne.

Right now we're on a short ski vacation in Austria, we had a lot of snow when we arrived.

The parking lot is almost not accessible for cars which are low, some limousines which arrived earlier are stuck in the snow, I wonder how they can get out.

Our Cayenne Turbo S is the perfect family car for almost any weather AND road condition.

We drove last year to Sardinia, the roads over there, incl. the highways, are pretty bad.

Imagine floating at 140 mph over bad roads with a fully loaded car, it was perfect.

Same in Austria or during heavy snow, the Cayenne is like a tank, with the right tires (I have the Nokian WR instead of the Porsche recommended tires because they're much better on snow but pretty "delicate" on the dry when driving fast), you can drive almost through any type of snow, incredible.

The Panamera Turbo is definetely the sportier car and from 0-200 kph (125 mph) it is around two seconds faster than the Cayenne Turbo S FL.

The Cayenne also has the advantage of FIVE seats and a lot of luggage room.

Disadvantage: high fuel consumption (I can live with that), high oil consumption if you drive very fast (up to 1 l on 500 km if you drive over 220 kph very often) and bad resale value.

Another disadvantage: most other drivers underappreciate the performance of this car (truck?). I always have these "smartasses" in my rear view mirror who flash with their headlights to signal me that they want to pass when I have a car in front of me. Usually, as soon as the car in front of me passes to the right, they get the surprise of their live. Smiley

Neither the Cayenne Turbo S nor the Panamera Turbo can really replace a 911 or similar sportscar, so I'm not sure if this really matters that the Panamera Turbo is two seconds faster from 0-200 kph.I also think that it is a matter of personal preference. Many people don't like SUVs, to each his own I guess.

With more than one kid (we have two kids), the Cayenne Turbo S is just the perfect family car for dads who want to drive something special but need that extra room for the family.

ski4.jpg

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

most other drivers underappreciate the performance of this car (truck?). I always have these "smartasses" in my rear view mirror who flash with their headlights to signal me that they want to pass when I have a car in front of me. Usually, as soon as the car in front of me passes to the right, they get the surprise of their live. Smiley

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

...you should put back Cayenne Turbo S label on a back of your car, then these drivers will stop bothering you... Smiley

:)

OZRacing 

Hi RC, thanks for your feedback, I fully agree with your comments and I often ask myself why I want the Panamera, but again boys and their toys. I wish I could have both.

Even on the track the 911 drivers (non turbo charged) are amazed by the shear power and speed of the CTT, I easily pull up (even overtake) and cornering of the beast is not to bad at all (PDCC etc). It is impossible to whipe the smile of my face when the turbos are spinning up (hi hi hi)

I agree, the speed you can do even on rough roads is well beyond many of our compatitor cars, the car is so confortable at high speeds. Referring to the track day I had her on 230khp on the straight (after doing 250kph just before the Oman/Dubai border, hi hi hi, OK I was on my own and it was only a short stint but a fantastic fealing)

You mentioned oil consumption, my CTT has no issues at all, I did 260kilometers during the track day --> hard and fast driving, and my oil level is still where it was before.

Great picture !!! I have never had mine in the snow, maybe next year as there is sometimes a dust of snow at Jebel Akdar (one of the famous mountains in Oman)

We'll see, yesterday I got the Panamera booklet, memory stick and invite to the new cayman introduction, see how I all goes.

Speak later,

Mark

--

ozr:

...you should put back Cayenne Turbo S label on a back of your car, then these drivers will stop bothering you... Smiley

:)

OZRacing 

True but then I would have to argue with my customers why and how I can afford a 140000 EUR truck. Smiley Trust me...it is better this way. Most of my customers think I'm driving a V6 with turbolook and this is just fine to me. Smiley

Btw: I will add a "Umweltfreundlich mit Gas" sticker to my Cayenne Turbo S to shut up the other smartasses who don't understand this type of car. A friend of mine did that in Munich and since he did it, no bad comments about his Cayenne S anymore. Smiley

--

RC:

Same in Austria or during heavy snow, the Cayenne is like a tank, with the right tires (I have the Nokian WR instead of the Porsche recommended tires because they're much better on snow but pretty "delicate" on the dry when driving fast), you can drive almost through any type of snow, incredible.

Hi RC

can you give me the exact spec for your Nokian tires - we will be needing to replace all four soon on our 2004 CTT and I'm somewhat unhappy with the 19" Scorpion winter tires - particularly in slushy snow conditions.Smiley

thanks

A

RC:

Btw: I will add a "Umweltfreundlich mit Gas" sticker to my Cayenne Turbo S to shut up the other smartasses who don't understand this type of car. A friend of mine did that in Munich and since he did it, no bad comments about his Cayenne S anymore. Smiley

--

RC, do you think this sticker could work at a Ferrari as well? Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

Rossi:

Co2 - Ich bin dabei  would be the more suitable sticker Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:
    Rossi:

Co2 - Ich bin dabei would be the more suitable sticker Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

...yeaaar,.. now we have to start buying "green" cars, I mean:
    Ferrari in green color, CayenneTTS in green color, 911TT in green color, PanameraTT in green color to "improve" perception for other people... Smiley

Smiley

OZRacing

What do "Umweltfreundlich mit Gas" and "Co2 - Ich bin dabei " mean guys? Smiley
    --

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

(1) Environment friendly with LPG

(2) Co2 - I join the party (ironic meaning...) Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Thanks Porsche-Jeck. Us non-German speakers struggle with this kind of stuff Smiley

I guess the first one would be ironic if one in fact drove in an environmentally unfriendly way i.e. being v heavy on the throttle pedal Smiley

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

Thanks Porsche-Jeck. Us non-German speakers struggle with this kind of stuff Smiley

Well, time to expand the german vocabulary for a guy who knows hard to pronouce options like Schaltwegverkürzung and Sportfahrwerk by heart Smiley
    Re the heavy right foot you have to ask RC - he's the one who wants the sticker Smiley

--

LOL - yeah - I remember that process well back in early 2006 when placing my order from a German dealer.... but it worked... no mistakes on my order! ;)
    --

easy_rider911:
    LOL - yeah - I remember that process well back in early 2006 when placing my order from a German dealer.... but it worked... no mistakes on my order! ;)
    --

Sure? Smiley

Perhaps you just didn't realise... Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

LOL! Yeah perhaps - but I think I'm sure Smiley
    --

2chavs:

Hi RC

can you give me the exact spec for your Nokian tires - we will be needing to replace all four soon on our 2004 CTT and I'm somewhat unhappy with the 19" Scorpion winter tires - particularly in slushy snow conditions.Smiley

thanks

A

I had the Pirelli Scorpion too, horrible tires when it comes to snow and ice, they don't really offer much grip, especially when breaking.

I looked up my Nokian WR SUV but apparently Nokian doesn't manufacture them anymore. Strange. There seems to be a successor, the WR G2 SUV but I have no experience with this tire, so I can't say much about itts qualities.

The best choice for winter driving seems to be the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R SUV  and it seems to be available in 19'' size but speed is limited to 170 kph only(which wouldn't really be a problem in winter time, at least not if you're living in a region with lots of snow). Most 19'' sized winter tires are optimized for high speed winter driving, not for snow or ice, so you can imagine how bad they are when it comes to snowy roads. I wish Porsche would offer a 19'' winter tire with T specs for heavy duty snow driving but unfortunately there doesn't seem to exist such a tire.

I wish we could drive tires with embedded spikes. A Hummer H2 over here at the hotel has such tires, he was climbing the hotel entry road (aprox. 15% !!! climbing!!!) with such a speed, unbelievable. ski13.jpg

--

Here's a photo showing the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R SUV on a testdrive with the Cayenne.

Definetely worth a thought, even if this tire is speed limited to 170 kph. This could be my next winter tire. According to Nokian, the winter driving capabilites of this tire are really phenomenal.

nokiancay.jpg

--

Thanks for the advice RC - I'll do some more research for the Nokians.

The question for me is whether my region will experience a similar hard winter for the next coming yearsSmiley Basically I need a tire good in slush, snow (my driveway is on a slope and I had a really scary experience this winter), yet the tires should still be ok for the Swiss autobahn to work each day in winter (80km per day)..

RC:
    2chavs:

Hi RC

thanks

A

I had the Pirelli Scorpion too, horrible tires when it comes to snow and ice, they don't really offer much grip, especially when breaking.

I looked up my Nokian WR SUV but apparently Nokian doesn't manufacture them anymore. Strange. There seems to be a successor, the WR G2 SUV but I have no experience with this tire, so I can't say much about itts qualities.

The best choice for winter driving seems to be the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R SUV  and it seems to be available in 19'' size but speed is limited to 170 kph only(which wouldn't really be a problem in winter time, at least not if you're living in a region with lots of snow). Most 19'' sized winter tires are optimized for high speed winter driving, not for snow or ice, so you can imagine how bad they are when it comes to snowy roads. I wish Porsche would offer a 19'' winter tire with T specs for heavy duty snow driving but unfortunately there doesn't seem to exist such a tire.

I wish we could drive tires with embedded spikes. A Hummer H2 over here at the hotel has such tires, he was climbing the hotel entry road (aprox. 15% !!! climbing!!!) with such a speed, unbelievable. ski13.jpg

--

A very nice landscape,which mountain resort exactly in Austria Christian?

are embedded spikes legals in austria? in italy you can't....in scandinavian countries I know yes

I read that Pirelli Carving are very very  good for true-nordic conditions. code T and you can put spikes inside (where allowed)

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

Hi Mark,

No way for me to trade the CTT for a Panamera.

The Panamera 4S will cost more than a CTT, carry one less person,  smaller luggage room, and slower.  I don't see any logic for the trade other than if you want to try something else.

Mark, I think it is time that you get a 911.  No it is not a family car, but it is a true sport car that you will enjoy much more than the CTT. 

"Every man that loves cars needs to own a 911 at least once in his lifetime."

--

Tim

2008 Cayenne Turbo

2006 911 Club Coupe #13

2006 BMW 530xi

Mark, I think it is time that you get a 911.  No it is not a family car, but it is a true sport car that you will enjoy much more than the CTT. 

"Every man that loves cars needs to own a 911 at least once in his lifetime."

Tim,

Indeed, I am more and more inclined to admit that my next car probably will be a 911. Everytime I am at our dealer I cannot walk past a 911 without touching or siting in the car. At our track day I had a go in a 4S PDK (fantastic) however i was missing the turbo. I think my next car is going to be the 997 turbo PDK, what will nicely coincide with my CTT08 being 2 years are ready for something else. Still Panamera on my mind but 911 at hart.

Cheers,

Mark

--

Hi Mark,

With car buying, we always have to go with our heart.  The cars that we're buying are too expensive and there is no logical reason to justify them.

PDK 911 turbo will be awesome.  I'll have a hard time choosing between it and a GT3.

I predict you will buy a 911 sooner than you expect.  Keep the CTT and trade the Landcruiser.

--

Tim

2008 Cayenne Turbo

2006 911 Club Coupe #13

2006 BMW 530xi

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688164 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408540 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255472 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234692 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65327 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857443 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773124 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM