Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Real life Panamera S pics

Re: Real life Panamera S pics

I don't find this too offensive.

I don't like the rims and they seem to be too small for the car.

As expected from the publicity photos.

Rear is an acquired taste. The rear is different and unique but some people will have to try in order to like it. Others will reject it.

Not everybody has to like it but some 20,000 people p.a.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

I actually quite like the back! (yes, I'm taking my meds)Smiley

The front half is nice but the rear half is simply hideous according to current aesthetic standards, reminds me of when Bangle's 7-series came out Smiley
    I think Porsche has been too arrogant and high handed by thinking they could get away with it simply by putting a P-badge on its hood, so they better be less arrogant with the pricing the choose IMO.

The only way I could bear that rear half is if I wanted that car so bad for some reason that I would subcounciously fool myself into thinking that I like it Smiley

--

maybe in a different colour.....this one does not seem to work..
    --
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Thanks for the pictures kreso Smiley.

No matter how much I try to like the back, but my subconscious keeps telling me are you nuts Smiley.

Funny thing is I showed some pictures of rear cars to my wife and wanted to just get her feed back.

X6 - looks different but she liked it.
    A7 Concept - strange but gets some getting used to.
    New E Class - She loved the car all around (don't ask me why Smiley )
    Panamera - What would the real back look like ?  I said that's it, that's the real back no camo and she kept insisting that they will change it before the real car comes to the market Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

Ron,

I saw tons of real life pics for Auto Bild Panamera special(next issue Friday 13th-Freddy is coming in his Panamera-article name. Just kidding...) and IMHO it looks interesting... I will keep saying-Panamera is Citroen DS for 21st Centuary.

I know all specs/weight/size. Remember some claim about Ring time of 8.00min for Panamera Turbo? With its weight and power only with Cylon technology if you know what I mean...

I think that is an V6

Look at the exhaust

Thanks Kreso

From looking at these pics, I fianlly realize what the rear profile resembles --> the 928 rear hatch profile.

I thought the S is the V8 without the awd, 4S is the v8 with awd and no S means V6?

It's not too bad overall. I give Porsche credit, love it or hate it, the car doesn't look like all the other homogenized luxo sedans. Furthermore Porsche did include their trademark elements allowing the car to integrate with the Porsche lineage.  Continuity if you like it, monotony if you don't.  I still wonder if the mules testing in Sweden aren't coupe versions of this car, and if a diesel won't eventually be offered for the sedan. 
    --
    Carpe Diem

Thanks Kreso!

Front looks still great, but rear looks as it doesnt belong there. As a Porsche is towing a back. 

This is the first critic of the Panamera, made by someone trained as a designer, and despite all other comments I do agree very much with him. Chris Hrabalek is diploma designer from RCA London, the best car design school in the world at MA level.

Chris Hrabalek looks at the new four-door four-seater from Porsche...

Porsche’s new four-door Panamera has a similar role to that of the Boxster and Cayenne. It needs to generate sales, despite the current bear market, while at the same time convincing enthusiasts the world over that the marque’s fifth model is not only the right product but, also, most definitely a genuine Porsche. 

Contrary to common belief, the single most difficult task of an automotive designer is not the art of flashy renderings, nor is it the skill to judge volume, stance, surfacing or design themes. It is not even the talent to recognise industry trends or future consumer tastes. The single most important skill for a successful car designer is to convince the audience that the final result, as presented, is the best of the many, many possible solutions to a problem. 

Few brands have such a loyal following as Porsche. But it’s a following made up of both owners and enthusiasts who are constantly sharpening their pencils for the critical ‘letter to the editor’, should their beloved brand divert too far from its core positioning. 

A number of automotive connoisseurs will recall a time, not too long ago, when a certain Porsche 928 model was suggested as the replacement for the holy grail of Zuffenhausen: the Porsche 911. Despite styling which was both ultra-progressive yet timeless – due to a non-automotive, and more product-design approach – all hell broke loose. Porsche owners like what they are used to: German rationale, evolved styling and the ignition on the left. 

Unlike the four-door concepts from both Aston Martin and Lamborghini, the Porsche Panamera seems to be positioned as a genuine alternative to a Maserati Quattroporte or Mercedes CLS, both in image as well as day-to-day driveability. This creates the necessity for a less radical technical package: one which brings increased challenges for Porsche’s in-house stylists. 

In 2004, the German designer Michael Mauer (designer of the Mercedes SLKand Saab 9-X) replaced Dutchman Harm Laagay as Porsche’s Director of Design. The Panamera was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, as it doesn’t happen often that Zuffenhausen’s finest gives its design team the opportunity to move away from derivative body kits and model facelifts and instead focus on an entirely new model for the current line-up. 

Although one could hardly call the styling of the new Panamera revolutionary, neither can one accuse it of having anything but pure Porsche DNA. While it’s certain that numerous sofa-referees will judge the styling as too conservative and unimaginative, it is far removed from the Aston Martin DB9 LWB (aka Aston Martin Rapide). Also, while the Panamera shares common parts with its siblings, none are too obvious. Visually, it is a far more distinct model than, say, the products of the Porsche 996/Boxster era. 

The styling is executed in a clean, logical and Germanic fashion following all the design rules taught at Pforzheim Design School for decades. It leaves us in no doubt that, were the front badge to be removed, this car would still be readily identified as a true Porsche. It’s true that, unlike the Porsche 928, it does not take a stylistic risk… yet it’s also a clear step on from a certain four-door Porsche prototype with the name of 989; the latter having fallen victim in the early 1990s to CEO Wendelin Wiedeking’s aggressive reorganisation. 

Although we should reserve final judgement until the day the Panamera can be seen on the roads – in context with other cars around it – one can be quite certain that this car is an important milestone for this once near-bankrupt, one-model-only manufacturer, in cracking the magic 100,000 units per annum barrier. And it will surely generate a healthy revenue for Porsche. Job done. 

Also the link:

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3200.asp?id=14043 

--
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

I don't care too much about comments from designers, simply because they're NOT a customer who have to DRIVE and OWN such a crappy design.

The front looks like a Corvette (which isn't too bad actually) but the rear is hideous at best and the car itself is huge, I can already read the headlines in various car magazines, referring to the Panamera as the "last limousine dinosaur".

I am a longtime Porsche enthusiast and owner and I just hate how the Panamera looks. The feeling is even worse than the one I had with the first generation Cayenne.

The only reason I would buy the Panamera would be the performance/technical part. This is the same reason I went for the Cayenne Turbo, despite my disliking of the look.

Surprisingly (actually not), Porsche substantially changed the look of the Cayenne front (the worst!) and rear (I actually like the rear of the first gen better, I would have added just the LEDs) because the initial design really sucked. The same will happen with the Panamera, I'm willing to put a bet on it.

Look at the current resale value of a Cayenne and the resale value of a 911 or even Cayman. The difference is HUGE. The same will happen to the Panamera, especially after the design will be changed after 2-3 years. This is no sporty limousine, it looks more like a bad "excuse" for the Cayenne. The Panamera is HUGE and I highly doubt that the press and especially the public will have different feelings towards this car than they had towards the Cayenne. It will take a year or two but the Panamera will suffer from the same problem the Cayenne suffered. "Too big", "too heavy", "too much fuel consumption", etc. etc. etc.

Don't forget that the Panamera is actually using the same engines the Cayenne uses, even if it is a couple of hundreds of kg lighter (which we actually don't know yet).

Bottom line is: the Panamera is NOT the car I expected and I really wanted one.

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Couldn't agree more. In all these years in Porsche forums reading enthusiast's opinions I can't rememeber a more unanimous repulse towards a certain design aspect than the Panamera's rear half, and thats really the unavoidable bottom line, the prospective buyers are the only ones who's opinion count. And the difference between a good car designer and a bad one is that the former is able to capture those prospective buyers opinion and the latter can't and tries to enforce his own on the prospective buyers with BS.

I personally was expecting a 4-door-GT with a coupe style who's design would state a sportcar driver's view of how a 4-door should look like with a certain degree of irreverance towards conventional luxury sedans, but instead we get a station-wagon looking rear egg shaped huge car that belongs more in the Citroen model line than in a history sportcar manufacturer's. I can't understand it, the only reason I can think of is that Porsche became too full of themselves thinking that they can get away with everything and people will still buy it and like it too.

--

Very good essay. Thanks for posting.
    --

funny, how we all seem to agree that the front is totally corvette........

personally, i do like the rear end of the car more than the front as it is different. they should keep the back and adjust the front to match. it's mid-section is where the panamera totally looses it......

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Yes, I agree; the mid-section is weird.

In fact I prefer a 3/4 veiw from the rear  than a 3/4 veiw from the front.

Spyderidol:

Yes, I agree; the mid-section is weird.

In fact I prefer a 3/4 veiw from the rear  than a 3/4 veiw from the front.

+1

--

The designer from the previous linked post says in typical defensive gibberish only a room full of metrosexuals would understand : 

" styling is executed in a clean, logical and Germanic fashion following all the design rules taught at Pforzheim Design School for decades"

Carlos stated in clean,concise phrasing  a 7 year old would understand :

" a station-wagon looking rear ..egg shaped ..huge car " .

IMO the whole debate is useless until we see the car in the metal.

Still photos, from whatever angles, of unusual designs like the Panamera do not often convey the real proportions of the car. Another example IMO is the S class which when viewed statically from some angles it appears awkward but in real life it is a successful design for the type of car it is. In real life you never have a static view of objects.

Also like on a face you cannot concentrate on a single feature in isolation but look at the integrated whole in order to have a complete impression. This can only be determined when we see the real car.

Who knows it might be better or perhaps worse than the photos.

--

panamera parked.JPG

Misha p-shop.JPG

SmileySmiley

I'm still having some difficuties with it. Will have to see it life at the Geneva car show begin 5th March
    --
    2005 Cayenne Turbo 2006 Mini Cooper S 2007 GT3

Unhappily, the car will not be shown in Geneva, but will make its public debut in Shanghai in mid April. 

I hope to see the car in Leipzig in April, but the embargo will surely be tight.

Until then, put me in the "I like it better and better category"...

The hardest part for me right now is the general rear end shape, which by itself could be quite nice. What really distorts the whole car is the side window line going up after the rear doors... WTF were they thinking? Cayman style?? why not make it flow nice and keep the visual weight down..

Picture 1: Just the rear alone, it looks really really really low, wide and bulky.

Picture 3: Appears to be a stretched 911 still as the roofline has some really bad lines to it probably caused by the damn window lines again.

All in all, i want to just see it in my local showroom.

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

better.JPG

Why didn't she look like this Smiley

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

or this...1234136206269better.JPG

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

or more like the originalflatter.JPG

Porsche sketch

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

Yes, this last one is very nice indeed!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM