Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster - 987 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Heated steering wheel

What are people's views on the heated steering wheel option?

Half of me thinks 'frivolous option' and another half thinks 'Hmmm, toastie!'

Does it work off the same button as the rear de-mister, or does it have it's own button?

Re: Heated steering wheel

wtsnet:

What are people's views on the heated steering wheel option?

Half of me thinks 'frivolous option' and another half thinks 'Hmmm, toastie!'

Does it work off the same button as the rear de-mister, or does it have it's own button?

Do I detect a little playing on the Configurator - careful -  you'll be hot-footing it to your friendly OPC shortly....Smiley

Whilst I can appreciate the value of heated seats on a cold morning, or a chilly top down blast, not so sure about a heated steering wheel, somehow. Smiley Mind, heated anything is nice at the moment - the view that greeted me when i got home this afternoonSmiley

**** cold!.jpg

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

Similar view here. Warm hands might be nice, but definitely not essential. But it's not that pricey, and I guess doesn't add much weight?...

Snow is similar here in the (ungritted) village. Hope to have a good chance to see if the Alpins work tomorrow morning. Should be fun. As long as it hasn't all melted.

@dreamcar: that's nothing - we've had a heavy blanket 20-25cm thick of snow here in London. I have not seen such heavy snow fall for over 20 years. As usual, traffic chaos and everything ground to a halt...
    --
    997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection: I love this car!!!

A heated steering wheel is for Hairdressers !!!

Nick_USA:

Some would say so is a Boxster....Smiley

@ easy - only a dusting here in Southampton and Portsmouth - but enough for the Navy Base Commander (where I work) to order everyone off the base at 13:30hrs - hence returning home in daylight to take some photo's Smiley We hardly ever get snow where I live, only 1 mile from the coast (the Solent).

Snow much deeper only a short distance further east (Chichester 150mm, Burgess Hill (where my mother in law lives 250mm).

--

dreamcar:
    Nick_USA:

Some would say so is a Boxster....Smiley

@ easy - only a dusting here in Southampton and Portsmouth - but enough for the Navy Base Commander (where I work) to order everyone off the base at 13:30hrs - hence returning home in daylight to take some photo's Smiley We hardly ever get snow where I live, only 1 mile from the coast (the Solent).

Snow much deeper only a short distance further east (Chichester 150mm, Burgess Hill (where my mother in law lives 250mm).

--
    I should amend my original 'Hairdresser' comment to also include 'Navy Base Commanders' :D

Nick_USA:

I should amend my original 'Hairdresser' comment to also include 'Navy Base Commanders' :D

Much like myself he has very little material for a hairdresser Smiley

Ironically the appointment of Naval Base Commander is at the rank of Commodore. The new incumbent Rob Thompson is an engineer rather than a navigator so he can't be all bad.Smiley The last one drove a Volvo Estate Smiley haven't found out what Cdre Thompson drives yet. Smiley

Sorry for going off topic....Smiley

1233605707660PNB commander.jpg

--

dreamcar:
    Nick_USA:

Much like myself he has very little material for a hairdresser Smiley

Ironically the appointment of Naval Base Commander is at the rank of Commodore. The new incumbent Rob Thompson is an engineer rather than a navigator so he can't be all bad.Smiley The last one drove a Volvo Estate Smiley haven't found out what Cdre Thompson drives yet. Smiley

Sorry for going off topic....Smiley

1233605707660PNB commander.jpg

--
    You would think that as there are more Admirals than ships in the Royal Navy that and Admiral would be after the job! Smiley

Nick_USA:

You would think that as there are more Admirals than ships in the Royal Navy that and Admiral would be after the job! Smiley

Ah, but we go for quality, not quantity with our ships. (Have to say that, my employer BVT Surface Fleet builds them). Smiley Our latest stealth destroyer HMS "Daring" which arrived in Portsmouth for the first time last week, is the world's most advanced ship of her type.

Not sure whether the ship is fitted with a heated steering wheel though I suspect with the tight budget our Ministry of Defence has to work with there was no money left to tick the box for that option...(just trying to get back on topic) Smiley

--

HMS Daring - Type 45_medium.jpg

@ DC: I did wonder if htat was one of yours when I saw it the other day? (Daring)

Well, who needs a heated steering wheel when I have my fluffy pink steering wheel cover.

Smiley

Heated steering wheel is OK, but remember its only the rim that heated - so PDK paddles and plastic spoke trim will still be freezing cold, as will the gearknob !

I had recently a courtesy car which had this option. For me the most senseless option I ever seen in a car.

... I like that comment with the hairdresser ;) Smiley

It is a must in cold weather areas along power seats. But it makes more sense in a Cayenne than in a Boxster or 911.

Simple answer: Buy some driving gloves!
    --

Click for bigger picture!

Alex_997TT:
    Simple answer: Buy some driving gloves!
    --

Click for bigger picture!

Thats it - 100% agree!

I had the heated steering wheel in both of my Cayenne's and it's great on a cold morning. It comes on automatically below 3 degrees C from memory (there's no switch) and warms the wheel up nicely. Well worth it IMHO if you use your car all year round. It's an option that most would think is ridiculous until they've experienced it first hand. 

I remember you used to get the same sort of comments for  the park distance control.

Interesting that people view this option as being 'girly', and that being a reason not to have it, rather than it being extra weight, extra load on the battery, bad for the leather, one more electronic thing to go wrong....

I personally hate driving gloves. I use my car every day throughout the year. If the only other way of heating your hands up on a cold day is by directing the air jets onto your hands (which is too hot on the back of your hands, doesn't really warm the palms of your hands, and blows hot air directly in your face) then I'd prefer the wheel to be heated. I don't see it as a 'must have', but an extra degree of comfort that as ISUK says, you probably wouldn't realise how nice it was until you tried it. Like heated seats. I would be worried about it drying out the leather though.

Smiley

wtsnet:

Snow is similar here in the (ungritted) village. Hope to have a good chance to see if the Alpins work tomorrow morning. Should be fun. As long as it hasn't all melted.

Had a good few inches last night. Smiley Tyres work. Smiley

wtsnet:

..... I would be worried about it drying out the leather though.

Smiley

No need to worry about that. It doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the heated seats and only stays on for a limited time. Works a treat though and well worth it IMHO.

You only have to experience a heated steering once in -20 F temp to understand why it's a great thing to have.  So if you plan to drive it in the really cold winter months get it, but if the Boxster is a fair weather car like mine it's not needed.

Exactly. I don't think people from relatively warm climates like south Germany and the UK have a good perspective on this option, no offence! The heated steering wheel in the Cayenne is very nice when it's below freezing.

Agreed, and fortunately Porsche gives you the option, many of which are expensive options, but nevertheless available for your wants and needs.

vincesf 

denn:

Exactly. I don't think people from relatively warm climates like south Germany and the UK have a good perspective on this option, no offence! The heated steering wheel in the Cayenne is very nice when it's below freezing.

Hey, don't compare Southern Germany with the UK when it comes to climate!Smiley

We have more of a continental climate here, as opposed to the maritime climate of the UK and even of parts of Northern Germany, so we have colder but drier winters and hotter and drier summers. Winter night-time temperatures of  -15°c  are not rare and it sometimes stays below zero night and day for weeks on end. Smiley

Since there is hardly any weight penalty, electrically heated seats and steering wheel are purely a matter of the extra cost  -  even in a sports car. Smiley

--
    fritz

very comfy option........but only makes sense with heated seats.
    --
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:
    very comfy option........but only makes sense with heated seats.
    --
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I've heard people who have a cold handshake due to blood-circulation problems excuse themselves by saying "Cold hands, warm heart". 

I guess anyone having a non-heated steering wheel but heated seats would have to say "Cold hands, warm ass". Smiley

--
    fritz

The heated seat on the other hand is a must.  Can't tell how many times I have had the top down in cool weather...warm buns and cold ears.  Now that's a top down day!

blackandtan:
    The heated seat on the other hand is a must.  Can't tell how many times I have had the top down in cool weather...warm buns and cold ears.  Now that's a top down day!

Your location, MN, has got to be Minnesota, right? Smiley

How come you still remember  what cool weather is like with your long, harsh winters??? Smiley

--
    fritz

Are you able to order the heated steering wheel in the UK and Europe without PDK? In Canada one has to order PDK to be able to get this need to have option in my opinion.
    --
    Porsche Crazed - Boxster 987 Speed Yellow/Black

timlb:
    Are you able to order the heated steering wheel in the UK and Europe without PDK? In Canada one has to order PDK to be able to get this need to have option in my opinion.
    --
    Porsche Crazed - Boxster 987 Speed Yellow/Black

the option combinations in some countries simply do not make sense.

as another example, ordering a bmw, in my case x6, between usa and europe is night and day.

my car is fully loaded and i had to tick 5 boxes on the order sheet. would i have ordered from europe, i would have had to check 35 boxes to get the same options......at a much higher price too !

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760339 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434192 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259909 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257053 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80697 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871079 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806207 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM