Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: audi tiptronic v. audi dsg v. porsche tiptronic

Quote:
    nberry said:
    If that wasn't the case why would they be developing the sequential transmission?

1. because other manufacturers are offering it (competition)
    2. because it may have advantages on the track, even advantages over manual
    3. because it would be somehow an electronically "adjustable" manual AND auto gearbox in ONE unit, making the car itself more attractive for a broader group of buyers (auto AND manual in one gearbox AND better performance, both on the street and track)
    4. because Porsche always needs some "innovation" to make a point (marketing!!!), like the new VTG technology which wasn't really necessary since the 996 GT2 already had the same power without VTG

Just a few points, I'm sure there are more reasons...

no way for dsg or tip

i remember i had enough of my audi tt 3.2 dsg last year . and move it to c4s . cause dsg do has hasitation problem ,sometimes u get few second delate, i think human still faster then what ever BS dsg they r

Re: I'm begging you...don't order Tiptronic!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Please do not forget: it is fast only up to 160kph. Above that level it is slower than manual.

Sometimes I really wonder if you read my posts.
    Again (I can send you a fax if you wish so ): the 997 Turbo Tiptroninc is FASTER than the Manual, even up to 160 kph and even up to 200 kph! From 0-200 kph, the Tiptronic is 0.6 seconds FASTER than manual.

I'm not sure where CF stated that he was wrong with his "estimates" (which btw weren't his "estimates" but claims from Porsche employees ), maybe you could direct me to the post where CF made this statement.

I heard about one second difference (in favor of manual) from 200 to top speed or from standstill to top speed, I don't remember anymore precisely. Sorry.

You are disappointed? Well, so be it. The 997 Turbo is faster than your 996 Turbo S, so I'm not sure what you expected. Carrera GT performance? You got it, buddy. One second faster on the Weissach track...with Tiptronic.

And while you and others are bragging about this and that, I'll enjoy my ride starting this summer. And don't tell me you want one when you "encounter" the first cars on the street, I would only tell you "I told you so".

Don't worry: reading your posts is one of my biggest delights

Regarding your question, CF stated in another thread:

"From 200-300 the manual is supposed to win by a VERY small margin, BUT only with perfect shifts!!!!

Standing KM: Tiptronic wins 21.1 vs 21.5 sec

400 m - 1000 m: Tip gains another 0.2 sec

Terminal speed should be 280-290 km/h"

In a subsequent post he agreed that terminal speed after 1000m should not be 280-290kph but rather something around 250kph.

Now a simple calculation:

- the acceleration difference 0-200 is .6 seconds
    - between 200 and 250kph the delta is reduced to .4 seconds
    - Acceleration time up to 250kph is around 21 seconds
    - Remaining acceleration time up to top speed is well in excess of 20 seconds

Do you see my point?

- The gap between manual and tip is constant between 160kph and 200kph
    - Between 200 and 250kph the gap narrows, i.e. manual is slightly quicker
    - When reaching 250kph only 21 seconds have elapsed
    - In the remaining 20-30 seconds to top-speed the manual will gain substantially due the much better gearing in that speed range.

Want to place a bet?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    If that wasn't the case why would they be developing the sequential transmission?

3. because it would be somehow an electronically "adjustable" manual AND auto gearbox in ONE unit, making the car itself more attractive for a broader group of buyers (auto AND manual in one gearbox AND better performance, both on the street and track)
    4. because Porsche always needs some "innovation" to make a point (marketing!!!), like the new VTG technology which wasn't really necessary since the 996 GT2 already had the same power without VTG

Sorry RC that dog will not hunt. It is double speak for the proposition that until they develop the better system lets unload as many Tips as we can and never acknowledge the superiority of upcoming sequential syatem.

When they introduce it, their version will be presented as the best innovation since the development of the automatic transmission.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Please do not forget: it is fast only up to 160kph. Above that level it is slower than manual.

And while you and others are bragging about this and that, I'll enjoy my ride starting this summer. And don't tell me you want one when you "encounter" the first cars on the street, I would only tell you "I told you so".

My enjoyment would come to a sudden end when a Z06 would destroy me on the AB... Also, I would definitively not enjoy the experience of being passed by a 997TT manual in my 997TT Tip You seem to have a different view on this

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    TX 911 said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:
    I own a Audi S4 with slushbox...The Porsche tiptronic is so much better

ummm, the point was not to compare Audi and Porsche, it was to compare tiptronic to DSG/PDK.

everything we know to this point about direct shift gearboxes would suggest that PDK will be better than Tiptronic S.

This would make me wary of getting a Tiptronic with the possibility that it will be an outdated transmission in a year or two.

I'm sure with a little electronic wizardry you can make a Tiptronic shift very quickly, pre-boost, etc. etc.

But it still has a torque converter. I would think the PDK will put more power to the road.

Since it is widely accepted that Porsche is working on its version of the DSK does it not stand to reason that Porsche feels it is an improvement over its present Tiptronic?

That is a very good argument

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

RC, honestly I think that your current views might be a bit distracted by the fact that you ordered a 997TT already. Would you have the same views if you could still cancel the order?

You know: I used to be a big defender and fan of Porsche. Why do you think did I change my views entirely over the last 14 days or so? I am only interested in performance. And I feel betrayed by Porsche.

Guys..

Saturday afternoon i must place the final order..

so,you have two days to help me to choose the right Turbo..Tip or Manual..

I'm for the Manual..but turn off the Tip vs Manual battle!!

i can't take the final decision if you don't stop write!

Ciaoo

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Guys..

Ciaoo

Manual... STOP

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Guys..

Ciaoo

Just wait until we start the discussion about the best color

I would buy the manual..in a sport car i prefere it.
    The only regret i have in my DB9 is the automatic tranny instead of the manual!
    In any case the new turbo is fantastic car Dario, you will enjoy it a lot.
    congratulations!!

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Guys..

Ciaoo

Just wait until we start the discussion about the best color

Meteor gray/terracotta..no dubt on this!

Artemio,all fine?

yes, all fine! i don't post a lot but I follow rennteam everyday.
    Regarding cars now i'm in a "quite" moment: i enjoy and love the aston, that is for sure slower than the turbo but, maybe due to the speed limits, i don't know, but now i prefer to drive more slow listening the sound of the engine and appreciating the beauty of the dashboard! I will also change my cayenne turbo at the end of march with an Audi A6 diesel (first diesel in my life!)
    I'm becoming old!!

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Ciaoo

Having read all the posts on the subject and taken it all in I say...................................................
    MANUAL!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

5. To try to entice Nick to purchase one.

This is why I said: let Porsche surprise you. If the fact that a Tiptronic equipped 997 Turbo is faster on a tight track than a manual equipped Turbo doesn't give you the last and most important hint, I really don't know what to say anymore. -RC-

RC are you saying the Tip is faster than the manual around the track??? is this confirmed???

TIP for me.
    One can't be perfect all the time , we're humans afterall

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Guys..

Ciaoo

dario ,before you decide ,remember that the 3.7 0 to 100 in tip can be achieved ANYTIME ,ANYWHERE ,by ANYBODY and i think people like you and me could NEVER achieve the 3.9 sec figure(manual),unless you feel changing your clutch soon.you know how they make it: rpm to 4500,5000 and release brutaly the clutch ,personaly i will never do it in my car....

Dario,
    Remember; how many times do you drive to achieve best 0-100 times, and how many times do you drive for pure pleasure of having your car in control
    -Joost-

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Guys..

Ciaoo

dario ,before you decide ,remember that the 3.7 0 to 100 in tip can be achieved ANYTIME ,ANYWHERE ,by ANYBODY and i think people like you and me could NEVER achieve the 3.9 sec figure(manual),unless you feel changing your clutch soon.you know how they make it: rpm to 4500,5000 and release brutaly the clutch ,personaly i will never do it in my car....

I agree with dhayek... In order to acheive 3.9 with manual you will probably have to powershift and that will burn off your clutch pretty fast

Quote:
    BD 997 said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Guys..

Ciaoo

I agree with dhayek... In order to acheive 3.9 with manual you will probably have to powershift and that will burn off your clutch pretty fast

yes guys..

but who make drag races here?

With my former 996TT i make two or three times from stanstill to 100km/h..is easier that we make from 40km/h to 300km/h than 0 to 100...isn't it?

but..i know that also from 40 to 300 km/h maybe tiptronic is faster..but i think it "pay more" in pleasure of driving make 4.2 to 0 to 100 in a manual car,than 3.7 in a tip car..

really..don't know what to do..but i have the Tip on my Cayenne and i use it ever in auto mode... i hate the buttons on the steering wheel..

ciaoo

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    BD 997 said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Guys..

Ciaoo

yes guys..

With my former 996TT i make two or three times from stanstill to 100km/h..is easier that we make from 40km/h to 300km/h than 0 to 100...isn't it?

but..i know that also from 40 to 300 km/h maybe tiptronic is faster..but i think it "pay more" in pleasure of driving make 4.2 to 0 to 100 in a manual car,than 3.7 in a tip car..

really..don't know what to do..but i have the Tip on my Cayenne and i use it ever in auto mode... i hate the buttons on the steering wheel..

ciaoo

I love you, man

Quote:
    BD 997 said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Guys..

Ciaoo

Actually, I'm not so sure that you would have to abuse the car to get the 3.9 s out of the manual. You would have to drive it well but not necessarily abuse it. Porsche has always been conservative with their performance claims and I don't think they resort to high-rpm clutch drops to get their numbers.

As an example, a US magazine that is known for launching their test cars hard (Car & Driver) managed 4.1 s in a 997 S, a full half a second better than the factory time.

Having said this, I DO agree that with the Tip, any driver can get the performance with ease.

Super-D: My personal vote would be the manual.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    BD 997 said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Guys..

Ciaoo

yes guys..

ciaoo

I love you, man

Sorry if the following has been posted, but here in quotes, is what was given to me by very credible Porsche officials in Geneva. Hope it helps.

" Why does Tiptronic accelerate faster from a standstill to 100Kmh than the manual?

Optimum interaction of the new PTM all-wheel drive system, the Tiptronic functions, and the set-up of the engine in conjuntion with VTG gives the Tiptronic version of the new Turbo faster acceleraton due to (1) early build up of boost pressure as soon as the torgue converter reaches its engagement speed; (2) engagement effect providing additional torque boost; and (3) even shorter/quicker shift and reaction times of the transmission.

You might say the Tip is already pre-tensioned for a faster start, with PTM all wheel drive delivering an almost equal, steady and consistent flow of power.

On the manual version the engine must first build up boost pressure after the driver has engaged the clutch--and this takes a few fractions of a second. A further point is that clutch and wheel slip when engaging the clutch impairs the optimum conversion of engine power into actual drive power on the road."

If you get the Tiptronic, you will feel sooooo old and like you have given up on really driving the car yourself!

The Tip might be amusing at first, but after a bit of time you will be kicking yourself for not getting the manual.

Dont order it!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    If you get the Tiptronic, you will feel sooooo old and like you have given up on really driving the car yourself!

The Tip might be amusing at first, but after a bit of time you will be kicking yourself for not getting the manual.

Dont order it!

Ditto.

Quote:
    Joost said:
    Dario,
    Remember; how many times do you drive to achieve best 0-100 times, and how many times do you drive for pure pleasure of having your car in control
    -Joost-

This is a great point. I don't know about you guys, but I almost never go all out 0-60 mph, 0-100 mph, or whatever.

If the difference were a full second or 2, it would be a factor. For a few tenths of a second, no way would I get a Tip if I really wanted a manual. Hell, even if I did honestly want or need Tip, I would wait for PDK.

Manual + SSK + LSD = SEX

In fact, I think that's the code for this option package on the turbo - SEX

Quote:
    TX 911 said:
    Quote:
    Joost said:
    Dario,
    -Joost-

This is a great point. I don't know about you guys, but I almost never go all out 0-60 mph, 0-100 mph, or whatever.

If the difference were a full second or 2, it would be a factor. For a few tenths of a second, no way would I get a Tip if I really wanted a manual. Hell, even if I did honestly want or need Tip, I would wait for PDK.

Manual + SSK + LSD = SEX

In fact, I think that's the code for this option package on the turbo - SEX

ok..today is the day...

i will go for manual,short shifter,and rear diff lock!

Super D, that is awsome combo! Go for it! Congrats!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803044 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448506 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266032 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90024 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6508 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885581 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833040 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM