Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Chris Bangle quits auto industry

BMW design boss Bangle quits auto industry, Adrian van Hooydonk will took his position.

http://www.motorauthority.com/bmw-design-chief-chris-bangle-quits-auto-industry.html

Re: Chris Bangle quits auto industry

This is good news for everyones eyes, my only worry now what industry he is going to screw up know with his "visionary sight" Smiley
    --

Carlos from Spain:
    This is good news for everyones eyes, my only worry now what industry he is going to screw up know with his "visionary sight" Smiley
    --
    I think he's like George Bush where he truly believes he'll be considered a genius after he's dead...

--
    73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs) Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2

All I want to say about Bangle's retirement is: Smiley
    --

Back again!  Smiley

Grant:
    Carlos from Spain:
    --
    I think he's like George Bush where he truly believes he'll be considered a genius after he's dead...

--
    73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs) Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2

Smiley Smiley

Thank god.  This should have happened long time ago.  May be he realized that he is better off designing toasters and blenders after all.

--
    Happy Driving

I think he has been secretly hired by Porsche to design the Panamera Smiley afterall there is only one butt ulgier than the Panamera's, and thats the 6-series Smiley
    --

Hallelujah...I'll be able to consider BMW's again.  Smiley

My 840 Csi is the last car they made before being Bangelised..! 

--
    "Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Thanks god! It was time!

Carlos from Spain:
    I think he has been secretly hired by Porsche to design the Panamera Smiley afterall there is only one butt ulgier than the Panamera's, and thats the 6-series Smiley
    --

6-series was designed by Adrian van Hooydonk and not by Bangle. Smiley Van Hooydonk also made CS concept, which is awesome... New 7 series (F01) and new Z4 (E89) was designed by van Hooydonk's team, so I think BMW is on right way.

Does Mr. Bangle read in forums? Does he read the posts here at rennteam (he better should!). I wonder what he would have to say. Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

Finally, thank god!  Smiley

If's about ****ing time!!! 

Carlos from Spain:
    --

"Hey Chris, loose my f*cking number...don't even think about it."

--
    ...the only thing stopping you, is you!

Ha ha Heist... I love that!

Great news - now I'll be able to look at a BMW without recoiling!

BTW does anyone know why he left?

--

997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection: I love this car!!!

easy_rider911:

Great news - now I'll be able to look at a BMW without recoiling!

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/02/03/more-information-on-chris-bangles-resignation

The article says that, apart from Project i, Van Hooydonk's idea are basically in sync with Bangle's ideas. So there's a chance that, despite the change in personnel, the 'vision' may still be similar.
    --

997S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection: I love this car!!!

easy_rider911:
    The article says that, apart from Project i, Van Hooydonk's idea are basically in sync with Bangle's ideas. So there's a chance that, despite the change in personnel, the 'vision' may still be similar.
    --

Let's hope that's not true. Smiley

--

Back again!  Smiley

Rossi:
    easy_rider911:
    --

Let's hope that's not true. Smiley

Well, it is ... Not a single car was drawn only by Bangle. Most late cars was drawn by Van Hooydonk's. For example: old 7 series (E65), Z9 Grant Turismo, X6, 6 series, E92 3 coupe, new 7 series (F01), CS concept, BMW M1 homage...

But design v2.0 (new 7 series, new Z4) is much better than v1.0, so new Bimmers will look better. But Bangle's resignation doesn't change that, because all Bimmers in this generation are already drawn... I guess that next BMW car will be disappointment - PAS, but I have high hopes for new 5 series (F10), which will be more aggressive and coupeish than current 5 series (E60) .

easy_rider911:

--

Probably due to the fact that AUDI sold more cars than BMW Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

Ron (Houston):
    easy_rider911:

Probably due to the fact that AUDI sold more cars than BMW Smiley.

I'm not sure Audi has much to brag about re. styling - their Russian-doll clone styling is, except maybe in the R8 and A5, a bit boring.. and I like Audis.   In my view Bangle was the right designer at the right time for BMW - he brought some real debate (obviously not all positive, but sales were ultimately strong)  about design to the company, that was known for performance driving but unimaginative styling.  The fact that he has since been so widely copied proves his influence - for BMW this spells a new (for them) influence in design, and thus a success no matter how many on forums profess to hate him.   And I agree that Adrian VH will evolve the BMW design, as he should... but  Bangle got it started and deserves credit.

--

Present: 2005 STi,  2002 M Coupe

Future: 2009 Cayman S - pending;  2010? Audi RS5 ??

4trac:

I'm not sure Audi has much to brag about re. styling - their Russian-doll clone styling is, except maybe in the R8 and A5, a bit boring.. and I like Audis.   In my view Bangle was the right designer at the right time for BMW - he brought some real debate (obviously not all positive, but sales were ultimately strong)  about design to the company, that was known for performance driving but unimaginative styling.  The fact that he has since been so widely copied proves his influence - for BMW this spells a new (for them) influence in design, and thus a success no matter how many on forums profess to hate him.   And I agree that Adrian VH will evolve the BMW design, as he should... but  Bangle got it started and deserves credit.

I have a different point of view on the subject. I agree that BMW had a period of rather ambiguous design between the withdrawal of Claus Luthe and the advent of Chris Bangle. During that time, the design was far from poorly executed but didn´t reflect the core values as previously.

Bangle and certainly several members of the board decided to increase the customer base by providing a more plush and luxurious appearance for the 7-series. Bangle was not criticised for the design theme but for its execution and I have to admit that I could understand it. The (amount) of convex shapes on the E65 in conjunction with the trunklid and headlight themes just did not work with the sporty image that BMW stood for. In fact, I do believe that the success of Audi´s A8, at least in certain markets, is due to its better design development.

...do you really think Hooydonk is any better?...

Hooydonk was the one who draw BMW concept car 8-10 years ago, including UGLY front facia and UGLY rear trunk...

Smiley

OZRacing 

ozr:

Hooydonk was the one who draw BMW concept car 8-10 years ago, including UGLY front facia and UGLY rear trunk.

Hooydonk was at Designworks USA, a BMW subsidiary, from 00 to 04. Which model do you refer to?

Certainly decisions at car manufacturers are made by more than one person and it certainly has been the board to finalize the 7-series´ design but, at least from my point of view, it is the designer´s duty to intervene if something goes wrong. The same story about the ovoid interior theme on Porsche´s 986 and 996 models which were excused to be the board´s and less so the designers´ decision.

After all, I have huge respect for Bangle if it comes to visionary and unconventional ideas which isn´t diminished by my critique mentioned above.

Great portrait of Bangle

Bangle at TED

Ferdie:

Great portrait of Bangle

Bangle at TED

I've had a number of bosses in my ilfe....but after listening to this guy speak, I honestly wouldn't mind working for him.

Would he be good a running a company - nope. He's way too touchy - feely for that kind of thing and doesn't look like he has the ability to beat the snot shit outta management which is what a good CEO needs to do from time to time, but his brilliance and intution and ability to redraw relationship boundaries is amazing. 

He'd obviously an amazing team builder and a realtionship expert.

--
    ...the only thing stopping you, is you!

Ferdie:
    ozr:

Hooydonk was the one who draw BMW concept car 8-10 years ago, including UGLY front facia and UGLY rear trunk.

Hooydonk was at Designworks USA, a BMW subsidiary, from 00 to 04. Which model do you refer to?...

...BMW Z9 concept car, introduced in 1999 at Frankfurt Motor Show...

...see more here:  http://www.exoticcarsite.com/pages/bmw_z9_concept.htm

bmw z9 concept car in 1999 bmw z9 concept car in 1999

...and some more info about  Hooydonk part in it... Smiley

"...Bangles successor van Hooydonk is at BMW since 1992.

...Hooydonk came in 1992 after training at the Polytechnic University of Delft in Holland and at the Art Center Europe in Vevey, Switzerland as a designer at BMW in Munich. 2000, he joined a subsidiary BMW Group Designworks USA to California. From 2001 to 2004 he directed the internationally renowned design agency.In 2004 he took over at BMW Group design chief Christopher Bangle, the direction of the brand design studio BMW automobiles. The lines of the BMW 6 Series and 7 Series models also show his influence as the Z9 Concept Car, BMW introduced the 2007 concept Concept CS and the study M1 Hommage. 1997 Bangle created for Mini Car Show 30th ACV Since 2004, he developed with his team's design for the new BMW 7 Series, the new BMW Z4 and the concept Progressive Activity Sedan, at the Geneva Motor Show in early March 2009 world premiere of their experience is...."

...more here:
    http://www.autobild.de/artikel/neuer-design-chef-bei-bmw_838747.html
    or in English:
    http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.autobild.de/artikel/neuer-design-chef-bei-bmw_838747.html

Good people left BMW AG around  1999-2000. Company changed from inside for the worst, talent left BMW. Idiots took over, including it's own idiots at the BMW AG corporate board...Smiley

...that's how mutant 7series was born...then 5series, then etc...

Smiley
    Enjoy,
    OZRacing 

ozr:

Good people left BMW AG around  1999-2000. Company changed from inside for the worst, talent left BMW. Idiots took over, including it's own idiots at the BMW AG corporate board...Smiley

...that's how mutant 7series was born...then 5series, then etc...

A "little" hard words for very successful people. We have different taste, you don't like them but many people likes them, just look how many BMW 5 were sold. I guess more than MB E classes or Audi A6. My opinion is that most Mercedes cars are ugly and boring, but I don't call them idiots.

Currently BMW probably have the best team ever. Their results will be seen on new BMW 3, mini PAS...

You are right Shakal,

the BMW5 was kind a success story. I think, it really got worse with the last 7 and then again with the 6 Series. Those cars trunks have been to awkward!

ozr:

...BMW Z9 concept car, introduced in 1999 at Frankfurt Motor Show... 

The Z9 concept reflected the core values of BMW yet excluded any aggressiveness. For BMW´s situation a decade ago and the route they were intending to go, this car was more than appropriate. It is, at least to me, more harmonious and well proportioned than the final 6-series.

Whether it was the right move for BMW to position the E65 in a more luxurious and conservative segment than before should be subject for another discussion. The fact that, as said above, vital elements of the design did not meet customers´ expectations and caused severe criticism has nothing to do with Bangle´s or Hooydonk´s general ideas for BMW´s design direction. Even if the later was responsible for the wildly discussed models it would have been Bangle´s task as head of design to intervene at that stage.  

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764754 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436773 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261165 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258065 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82701 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877113 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809259 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM