Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: What do you guys dislike about the 997TT the m

May I add... . Before I got my TT I had a 997S. When cruising on the highway the 997S used to drive me cRaZy at a certain  RPM range (2500? 3000?) where the stock exhaust system would start this annoying incessant drone. On a long drive I'd be passing back and forth thru that rev range and the frickin' drone would never stop annoying me.

OTOH, the TT is very quiet.  There's no abnormal adrenaline rush that I can detect coming from the exhaust _sound_, it's mostly from G-forces. LOL. In a way the quietude of the TT is good. It's a hot car and (unlike my 997S) is very very easy to get past 100mph. Anyway, you don't want to attract too much attention because if you get a ticket it could be the end of your enjoyment of the car.

Anyway, all other drivers _KNOW_ you are an insane wreckless drunk dangerous driver when they hear your loud exhaust system working to capacity. That's why I'm glad to sacrifice a bit of exhaust sound drama with the TT.

--
    2007 997 Turbo

MMD, I also came from a 997S and the turbo is a better daily driver IMO.  I had the sports exhaust on my 997S and although its much louder than my Turbo I like the exhaust note of the turbo better even if its a bit to tame for a car with this much HP. To me the turbo sounds much closer to the old air cooled Porsches of the past which I always admired growing up.  At over 5000 rpm I hear the engine "static" coming from my rear speakers. My dealer is trying to figure it out and has had other TT owners complain of the same thing.  Anyone else experience this?  Just curious.
    --
    07 997 TT (GT Silver) 05 997S (SOLD) 02 BMW M3 97 C5 Vette 92 Mits 3000 GT VR-4 82 911SC

Hummmm..., gradyex do you mean when the PCM is switched on? Or in CD or radio mode? Or just anytime? I never noticed it.

Air cooled Porsches; oh yeah. Everytime I see one behind me try to I slow up, open my window and hope he gets the hint and passes me. LOL.

BTW, it's true that the subdued exhaust note of this TT does bother me now and then, especially when I am trying to..., ahem...,  "demonstrate" the car for my car-guy passengers.

--
    2007 997 Turbo

Joshua:

I dislike the fact that it doesn't look like the 996TT which i think is perfection!!

..I agree MMD, the new 997TT is too busy..whilst i do like it (especially the performance) it does not have the same presence as the 996TT  IMO

In my opinion, the 997TT is the best looking of all the 911's.

--

"The higher the taxes, the closer we are to slavery ..."

1. Exhaust noise... except at idle.

2. Suspension is a little bit soft.

3. Interior not much exclusive compared to a Carrera. 

--

Mikla

997 Turbo

I actually like everything about my turbo now!
    --

Chris '07 997 TT Midnight on Sea

Farnbacher-Loles prepped!

TT Surgeon:
    I actually like everything about my turbo now!
    --

Chris '07 997 TT Midnight on Sea

Farnbacher-Loles prepped!

Me too!!! smiley00097.gif

Well apart from struggling to heal and toe on public roads with my high biting brake pedal connected to the ceramics.   Rennline option to come and fix that soon though I think!

Otherwise I am in Porsche heaven!!

--

Click for bigger picture!

It's the sound for me also. I'd still have one though. Smiley
    --

Check out my Gallery

SoCal Alan:
    Joshua:

I dislike the fact that it doesn't look like the 996TT which i think is perfection!!

..I agree MMD, the new 997TT is too busy..whilst i do like it (especially the performance) it does not have the same presence as the 996TT  IMO

In my opinion, the 997TT is the best looking of all the 911's.

--

"The higher the taxes, the closer we are to slavery ..."

Same here.   

The part's I hated were:

The stock vacuum cleaner exhaust note - now fixed w/ Tubi

Stock wheels - fixed w/ Champions.

The Cab top operation button (having to hold down/up for 20+ seconds while the top opened/closed, while shifting you need 3 hands  - now fixed w/ one touch smart-top module

The bonnet opening by accident - now also fixed w/ the smart-top module

No audible alert when setting/turning off alarm, having to look back & watch the lights/pita - now also fixed w/ smart-top

Not being able to put the convertible top or windows up or down remotely - fixed w/ smart-top.

now she's next to puuuurfect.  

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet, 06 Ferrari F430,  04 Durango HEMI,  04 Harley FLHTCSE,  93 Harley FLSTN

MMD:

May I add... . Before I got my TT I had a 997S. When cruising on the highway the 997S used to drive me cRaZy at a certain  RPM range (2500? 3000?) where the stock exhaust system would start this annoying incessant drone. On a long drive I'd be passing back and forth thru that rev range and the frickin' drone would never stop annoying me.

OTOH, the TT is very quiet.  There's no abnormal adrenaline rush that I can detect coming from the exhaust _sound_, it's mostly from G-forces. LOL. In a way the quietude of the TT is good. It's a hot car and (unlike my 997S) is very very easy to get past 100mph. Anyway, you don't want to attract too much attention because if you get a ticket it could be the end of your enjoyment of the car.

Anyway, all other drivers _KNOW_ you are an insane wreckless drunk dangerous driver when they hear your loud exhaust system working to capacity. That's why I'm glad to sacrifice a bit of exhaust sound drama with the TT.

--
    2007 997 Turbo

Pretty much all the time. My dealer is looking into it (took it for a spin to confirm the noise). It sounds like static coming from the engine but why just at higher rpms and not all the time?  Its not a huge deal and can live with it but maybe its something else. It sounds like a whinning that gets picked up from the ignition system? curious to know if anyone else has this because its not something that you would not notice unless you never redline the car ( the noise is  most obvious then). Smiley

--
    07 997 TT (GT Silver) 05 997S (SOLD) 02 BMW M3 97 C5 Vette 92 Mits 3000 GT VR-4 82 911SC

MMD:

Hummmm..., gradyex do you mean when the PCM is switched on? Or in CD or radio mode? Or just anytime? I never noticed it.

Air cooled Porsches; oh yeah. Everytime I see one behind me try to I slow up, open my window and hope he gets the hint and passes me. LOL.

BTW, it's true that the subdued exhaust note of this TT does bother me now and then, especially when I am trying to..., ahem...,  "demonstrate" the car for my car-guy passengers.

--
    2007 997 Turbo

Sorry MMD its a response to this question not the one above.

--

gradyex:
    MMD:

--
    2007 997 Turbo

Pretty much all the time. My dealer is looking into it (took it for a spin to confirm the noise). It sounds like static coming from the engine but why just at higher rpms and not all the time?  Its not a huge deal and can live with it but maybe its something else. It sounds like a whinning that gets picked up from the ignition system? curious to know if anyone else has this because its not something that you would not notice unless you never redline the car ( the noise is  most obvious then). Smiley

--
    I had something similar happen in my 996 Turbo. This is a long shot but try driving with no electronic gizmo's including cellphones. For whatever reason my cell phone was creating some sort of static that created like a buzzing sound. If I remember it would come through the speakers. May not be your issue at all but thought it might be worth mentioning.   

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet, 06 Ferrari F430,  04 Durango HEMI,  04 Harley FLHTCSE,  93 Harley FLSTN

STRADALE:

No audible alert when setting/turning off alarm, having to look back & watch the lights/pita - now also fixed w/ smart-top

Tell me more about this module! Those are the things that drive me nuts on my car too. Where do you get this thing? Is it only available for a Cab?

Otherwise I am in Porsche heaven!!

AAAAAAHHHH (sung by thousand angels...) what a beautiful picture.      

Holy COW!   Geez Alex..., I'm beyond wondering how you mounted the camera without damaging the paint... .

How and where  did you learn to _fly_ like that!!?? Smiley

alex flyies his Porsche somehow.jpg

--
    2007 997 Turbo

JoeRockhead:
    STRADALE:

Tell me more about this module! Those are the things that drive me nuts on my car too. Where do you get this thing? Is it only available for a Cab?

Available for the Coupe too for $200 less. For the Coupe it's called "Remote Key" not "Smart Top"  Name of the Co. is : " Mods 4 Cars"  There's often Group Buys (below) for it on 6-speed. Got mine from GMP.  I installed it myself, it's plug & play, if I can do it you can. Also allows you to have auto-lock too that auto locks the doors above 5mph, which is important imo. 

FOR 997 COUPE including Turbo:

https://www.wit-usa.com/sms/shop/index.php?mode=view&idlistpos=1

remoteKEY 997 offers plenty of customizable, useful features, in one easy to install product.

This unique comfort controller can be installed by anyone with the help of our detailed installation manual. Installation requires little electronic skills and is done without cutting wires or soldering! The module comes with all wires and parts needed.
    No need for extra key fobs. Everything is done with the original key remote.

The control unit was designed by our certified engineer, having years of experience on Porsche and Mercedes Benz vehicle electronics. It was developed according to all European and American (CE, FCC) directives and constitutes a state-of-the-art electronic onboard control unit. Over-voltage protection, reverse polarity protection, safety shut-off and absolutely minimal standby power drain can be taken for granted.

Unique design features only to be found in our product:
    • Fully E13 tested and certified: E13 10R-02 4133
    • Ultra-low power standby mode (less than 0.1mA).
    • InstallAID™ LED shows correct installation and status.
    • Intuitive Setup menu for easy customization.
    • Universal compatibility to these cars in ONE module:
      • 997 Carrera Coupe
      • Cayman
      • 987 Boxster

Product Features:

• Remote window control: Easy one-touch comfort operation of windows with the original remote on all models (US and Euro) by holding down the power-locks button. No extra remote fob or reprogramming of the key or car is necessary!

• On 987 Boxsters the top can be operated in one-touch mode while the car is halted. Also, top operation is not interrupted when coming to a stop.

• The "Lock-In" feature locks the doors once the car starts moving. In contrast to the original Porsche feature which can only be enabled or disabled at the dealership, this feature is user-programmable and even better, optionally the doors also unlock when the engine is switched off and the key removed.

• Home light XL: The Headlights can be activated for 30 seconds at any time by tapping the trunk button on the remote twice. Tapping the button twice again before the time runs out will switch the lights off immediately.

• Trunk button delay: Prevents accidental opening of the trunk in most cases. If activated, the trunk can only be opened by holding down the trunk button on the remote for longer.

• Chirp on lock/unlock: If activated, the alarm horn will give brief "chirp"signals when locking/unlocking the car.
      IMPORTANT: For the chirp feature to work, the factory alarm needs to be present.

• Auto-Tilt function for the passenger-side mirror on reverse gear. A great addition for cars without seat-memory.

• Passenger window auto-up fix for all cars where the window will only roll up automatically once it is past half way. Usually found on 997 Coupes

• User programmable: All features can be individually enabled or disabled. Some also allow different personal preferences to be set. All settings are retained even if the car battery is disconnected.

• Shop/Diagnose mode: The chip can be set to be completely passive, as if it was not installed at all. It becomes "invisible" and will not interfere with any dealer diagnostic tools.

GROUP BUY:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/group-buys/153699-smart-top-holiday-group-buy-gmp-performance.html

--

MMD:

How and where  did you learn to _fly_ like that!!?? Smiley

How:     Self-taught.  It's that easy.

Where:   At the apex of the last hairpin bend.

Smiley

--
    fritz

STRADALE:

Available for the Coupe too for $200 less. For the Coupe it's called "Remote Key" not "Smart Top"  Name of the Co. is : " Mods 4 Cars"  There's often Group Buys (below) for it on 6-speed. Got mine from GMP.  I installed it myself, it's plug & play, if I can do it you can. Also allows you to have auto-lock too that auto locks the doors above 5mph, which is important imo. 

FOR 997 COUPE including Turbo:

https://www.wit-usa.com/sms/shop/index.php?mode=view&idlistpos=1

Thanks!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778024 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442014 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262936 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261177 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85427 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5691 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880847 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816412 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM