Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Sport Exhaust "loudness" modification

YUP!

That's another thing I was wondering.... My PSE, (I think) was added after the fact as well... What is the best way to install a switch on a car that has an "after the fact" intall of the PSE?

My PSE was also retro-installed by the dealer (including the factory PSE switch)
    The only place I found to splice in the override switch was into the 12 v power supply to the solenoid valve as described above.
    Everything else , including the factory PSE switch, is directly wired into the car's computer as far as I could tell. And I did not want to fool around with that .

Adding the little switch between the 12volt power line is easier than my direct 12volt wire up, with factory install. Just a little run to the ashtray with the switch will allow on/off no problem!

Re: PSE "loudness" modification - solution

Guys, this is excellent and will help a lot. First thing I install as soon my Baby got delivered :-)

Hi everyone,

first post so i do apologise if this has been answered a million times already .........just following this thread as my recently aquired C2S needs PSE & quick, but i have this question.......am i understanding correctly that the noise is muted between 30 - 50 mph with PSE on and off ?

thanks

No problem - ask away - when PSE is switched ON (either by (1) the 'exhaust pipe logo' button, if you don't have Sport Chrono, or by (2) the Sport button, if you do have Sport Chrono), there is a cut-off between 30-50mph provided you have not done the PSE 'always-on' modification explained in this thread.

If you haven't done the modification and you haven't switched PSE ON then clearly, there's no cut-off since PSE isn't ON (sorry if that's stating the obvious).

If you have done the PSE 'always on' modification, PSE is always ON whether you operate Sport Chrono (or not) (if you have Sport Chrono) and there is also no cut-off between 30-50mph.

Sounds complicated, I know but it isn't Hope I've explained it okay...

yea i get that thanks! i suppose my next question has to be when PSE is off what does that actually mean ?...as in how can an exhaust be "off" or is there something happening internally that is electronic?.........are valves being opened & closed & thats whats making the better sound & thats what the mod stops............the valves closing when PSE is "on" ?

I'm not even sure that makes sense to me ha ha....hope you can see where i am coming from

Quote:
    SteWil said:
    yea i get that thanks! i suppose my next question has to be when PSE is off what does that actually mean ?...as in how can an exhaust be "off" or is there something happening internally that is electronic?.........are valves being opened & closed & thats whats making the better sound & thats what the mod stops............the valves closing when PSE is "on" ?

I'm not even sure that makes sense to me ha ha....hope you can see where i am coming from

There are two out pipes coming out of each muffler, one is always open (no valve), the other has a valve which is spring loaded, and is open by default. With the Sport (or tailpipe) button off, it closes that valve via vacuum. When the button is on, it's computer controlled based on the speed of the car and the position of the throttle. Over 50 MPH, the valve stays open, under 50 MPH, it's controlled by the throttle position, if you step on it, it closes the valve. I don't know if the 30-50 MPH cutoff is actually true, I have personally never heard that one, but I will have to give it a try and see....

Recently I had my dealer install the PSE on a 2005 997S. The car has the sport chrono option. They installed it with a hidden switch that switches the sports exhaust either on or off. In other words, the exhaust is not connected to the computer at all.

At first I was a little disappointed/surprised that they installed it in a 'non-factory' approved manner. But the results are great. There is no sound abatement at speed or revs. It is either on or off; no sometimes on, sometimes off that the factory gives you.

In discussion with the dealer they explained that customers where less than 100% pleased with the factory setup. I will say that I am 100% pleased with the way they set up the PSE. I leave it in the quiet mode as I roll out of my driveway and turn it into sports mode when the oil is just right and then let her rip. The sounds is suberb all the way through the rev range. The best option on the car in my opinion.

how long does it take the OPC to fit the PSE guys ?

About 4 hours

Quote:
    SteWil said:
    how long does it take the OPC to fit the PSE guys ?

Per Porsche Technical Information Manual 911(997) 5/05 ENU 2601 2 ,
    it is 330 TU's for cars with Sport Chrono ,
    and an additional 150 TU to replace the console switch module in car's without Sports Chrono.
    one TU (time unit ) = one minute

Hi all. only just had my sports exhaust installed on my 997S by porsche. Had a 996 and had that hacked by a garage so it was always on (but could still be switched off by console switch?).

I am desperate to apply this hack to my 997 but cannot make up my mind what option to use...disconnect orange plug or pull and tape the hose's, surely just pulling the orange plug is easier and safer??

also can anyone tell me if their sports exhaust cut off switch LED on the console is ON when the exhaust is off and OFF when the exhaust is in loud mode. I queried this with Porsche and they said its they way it works. It just bugs me that the PASM when in sports mode the LED is on and the exhaust LED when in sports mode if off!! minor buigbear i know but anoying..

Thanks

Dan

Well just done it, tried disconnecting the orange switch and it works. also tried the hose disconnection and again that worked. think i will stick with the hose option as this seems the majority what people are doing.

Doesnt sound loud enough, must be me?????

Going to get some hose and cut in half and plug with a wooden downling (fits perfect) and reconnect that to both ends (i.e. pipe - hose - wooden downling - hose - switch unit.).

Thanks for everyones messages in this forum...in valuable advise.

Dan

The PSE will get louder with use after a few thousand miles.

Quote:
    CarreraK1D said:
    Well just done it, tried disconnecting the orange switch and it works. also tried the hose disconnection and again that worked. think i will stick with the hose option as this seems the majority what people are doing.

Going to get some hose and cut in half and plug with a wooden downling (fits perfect) and reconnect that to both ends (i.e. pipe - hose - wooden downling - hose - switch unit.).

Dan

Just make sure you really plug the vacuum hose properly. The car uses vacuum for a lot of other things besides the PSE valves .If it leaks, you will get all sorts of grief and error messages.

I would really just disconnect the electric power from the solenoid (orange plug ) It's easier,can be re connected in seconds and there is zero chance of anything going wrong .

Quote:
    jcs said:
    Quote:
    CarreraK1D said:

Dan

Just make sure you really plug the vacuum hose properly. The car uses vacuum for a lot of other things besides the PSE valves .If it leaks, you will get all sorts of grief and error messages.

I would really just disconnect the electric power from the solenoid (orange plug ) It's easier,can be re connected in seconds and there is zero chance of anything going wrong .

I did the hose 'mod' two years ago and have had no problems.

I used golf tees to seal the ends and just taped them together... works perfectly.

BTW - to answer your earlier question... the default setting is 'PSE light is on when PSE is off'.

However, once you've done the mod it makes no difference.

Re: Porsche Sport Exhaust "loudness" modification - solution

yo gusys Smiley
    yeah my name is Jorge and i just but the carrera s 2007 with sport chrono package just wonderingSmiley
    can i try this mod cause my sport diode as im my sport switch in the center console is "F'd" up u know what i mean so ive been searchin and i found this thread just cheking if you guys could give me the green light in if i should try this cause is the same crap anyway  just more power than the non s version hit me up as soon as you can please im desperate here plus its my dad's car and he doesnt want to buy anything because i might damage the car installing it you know old people but i found this my gateway to loudness in the car please help tips and sites also cheap mods would likely be notted and very aprreciated  please guys help Smiley
    Smiley
    Smiley
    Smiley
    Smiley

ulyssefreak:
    yo gusys Smiley
    yeah my name is Jorge and i just but the carrera s 2007 with sport chrono package just wonderingSmiley
    can i try this mod cause my sport diode as im my sport switch in the center console is "F'd" up u know what i mean so ive been searchin and i found this thread just cheking if you guys could give me the green light in if i should try this cause is the same crap anyway  just more power than the non s version hit me up as soon as you can please im desperate here plus its my dad's car and he doesnt want to buy anything because i might damage the car installing it you know old people but i found this my gateway to loudness in the car please help tips and sites also cheap mods would likely be notted and very aprreciated  please guys help Smiley
    Smiley
    Smiley
    Smiley
    Smiley

I had to read your post three times to understand it. Smiley

Next time, please use punctuation marks and form a more understandable sentence. Thanks!

The PSE mod should work as mentioned in the previous posts. There is also a disclaimer regarding possible warranty or legal issues. Not much more to say I'm afraid. 

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:
    ulyssefreak:
    yo gusys Smiley
    Smiley
    Smiley
    Smiley
    Smiley

I had to read your post three times to understand it. Smiley

Next time, please use punctuation marks and form a more understandable sentence. Thanks!

The PSE mod should work as mentioned in the previous posts. There is also a disclaimer regarding possible warranty or legal issues. Not much more to say I'm afraid. 

Hey RC, did you consider the possibility that ulyssefreak was not able to understand all the previous posts because they were punctuated? Smiley
    Smiley

--
    fritz

Re: Porsche Sport Exhaust "loudness" modification - warning

Hey guys, for the second time in about 16 months (2000 miles), my PSE muffler is broken.   The symptom is a rattle at low speed, during acceleratation.  This time, it's out of warranty.

So, my friendly advice for everybody doing the mod, is to at least not use the electrical orange connector disconnection method.  I don't have enough experience (as far as miles are concerned, not how how to do it) with the vacuum line disconnection approach to comment.  So, it may be a better solution.

The cost to replace is approximately $1K.

Now, there are two mufflers, so I don't know if the other muffler failed or the replacement did.  I'll find out.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

I always put it back to stock every 1000 miles or so for a couple of days, so the valves didn't get stuck.  This seemed to serve me well for at least 14,000 miles!

--

Click for bigger picture!

No problems here with the 'hose mod'....haven't reversed it in nearly three years and 24K miles.

Was always a bit sceptical re the orange connector method, so chose the other one mainly because it was the way that RC recommended.

--
    "Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

SoCal Alan:

Hey guys, for the second time in about 16 months (2000 miles), my PSE muffler is broken.   The symptom is a rattle at low speed, during acceleratation.  This time, it's out of warranty.

So, my friendly advice for everybody doing the mod, is to at least not use the electrical orange connector disconnection method.  I don't have enough experience (as far as miles are concerned, not how how to do it) with the vacuum line disconnection approach to comment.  So, it may be a better solution.

The cost to replace is approximately $1K.

Now, there are two mufflers, so I don't know if the other muffler failed or the replacement did.  I'll find out.

My extended warranty does not cover this either, by the way. Smiley

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

hi there!

i'm interested in buyin the C2S mk2 with pse, but i'm wondering is this vacum mod still possible on the mk2 model?

I wanna have almost the same sound as my 996 C4S with pse (cut-off deleted ;- ) ). Loudness, agressivness and so on :-)
    How can that be done?

Does the mk2 with the vacum mod come close or is there a big difference cause at my dealer they told me the pse mk2 is quieter than mk1 and a lot quieter than 996 pse, is that true? Anybody got a driving by mk2 with pse video please?

thx

--
    Once Porsche, always Porsche!

Well I can put this one to bed forever!!!!

I was lucky enough to be invited to the UK launch day event for the 997 GT3 mk2 yesterday. One of the sessions during the day was an open walk around the new car with Andreas Preuninger (Project manager for all Porsche GT cars)  followed by Q&A session. Excellent as we were in small groups of 6 so we really got close and personal and were able to ask those critical questions on all our minds!

Following several questions about the loudness of the new GT3 I asked him was if it was OK to disconnect about the brown plug to make it even louder. Andreas stated that it was absolutely fine to do so (on both GT3 and Carrera's) and caused no damage whatsoever to the engine - he even showed us how to do it on a 997 GT3 mk1 parked next to the mk2. He however pointed out that the alternative method of disconnecting the vaccum hose was extreemly bad for the engine as it damaged the integrity of the vaccum system which was used for other critical functions!

So there you have it - couldnt get much more of a definiative statement really. The head of GT car production says its safe to pull the brown plug but very bad to disconnect the vaccum hose.

Adam2S:

Following several questions about the loudness of the new GT3 I asked him was if it was OK to disconnect about the brown plug to make it even louder. Andreas stated that it was absolutely fine to do so (on both GT3 and Carrera's) and caused no damage whatsoever to the engine - he even showed us how to do it on a 997 GT3 mk1 parked next to the mk2. He however pointed out that the alternative method of disconnecting the vaccum hose was extreemly bad for the engine as it damaged the integrity of the vaccum system which was used for other critical functions!

This is very usefull info, especially the part about disconnecting the plug and not the hose, as probably most have anyway because its easier thanthe hose but never the less very important to know Smiley

--

I have the PSE on my 997.1  and PSE on my 997.2 . The .2 is less noisy, one of the reason being the DFI ( actually inside of the car it is far too mute, but from the outside it sounds very nice)  Yes, you can disconnect the brown plug.

Another very good thing with PSE.2 is that you do not see any of the 'black stuff' on your exhaust tips . ( there is much more due to the DFI)

--
     997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Adam2S:

Well I can put this one to bed forever!!!!

So there you have it - couldnt get much more of a definiative statement really. The head of GT car production says its safe to pull the brown plug but very bad to disconnect the vaccum hose.

Woah woah - hold your horses... you can't suddenly come up with a statement that definitive and that totally conclusive..

There are many of us who have used the 'hose method' for several years without any problems whatsoever.  This needs a closer examination.

So, I've re-read this entire thread and here are some salient points....

The thread starts on 3rd May 2005 with RC's initial 'Hose Method' (along with the necessary disclaimers)  This is very well received and responded to.

It's not until 9th July 2005 that a member, 996 Cal, brings an alternative method (The Orange Plug) to our attention.

On 7th August 2005, SoCal Alan is the first to enquire as to what the difference is between the two methods. He gets very little response.

On 30th August 2005, Dillinger said he thought the plug method could cause problems.

On the same date (30th August 2005), Carlos from Spain said he preferred the hose method.

Then, it wasn't until 27th January 2008 that a member (CarreraK1D) reported on having tried both methods, but chose the hose as it seemed the more popular one.

On the same day (27th Jan 2008),  jcs responded with the following... so becoming the first to openly favour the plug method.

Quote...

"Just make sure you really plug the vacuum hose properly.  The car uses vacuum for a lot of other things besides the PSE valves.  If it leaks, you will get all sorts of grief and error messages.
    I would really just disconnect the electric power from the solenoid (orange plug ) It's easier,can be re connected in seconds and there is zero chance of anything going wrong."

On 14th April this year Alan reported broken mufflers which could be related to using the plug method and recommended not to use it.

So, there you have it - a whole load of conjecture spanning over 4 years.

Personally, I'm still using the hose method with no problems, but did make sure the ends were very well plugged and couldn't leak.

I'd now be interested to hear opinions from active members who still use RC's original method.. such as.. Carlos, Easy, Mike S, Lars, Dillinger, Gnil, Fritz, Porker, Bluelines, Alex18 etc.

I'd also like to know what RC's contacts have to say on Adam's latest comment? Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Very good and useful summary of the position so far and how we got here

Regarding the orange plug method, I decided not to do that since I was not certain that the sophisticated electronics would not discover a 'fault' due to the electrical disconnection. Having said that, this is the method Orient Express suggested and he seems to understand this subject as well as, or better than, anybody on RT.

Regarding the vacuum hose disconnection, this is what I have done. There's no electrical connection loose - so no way for the system to discover the disconnection PROVIDED that everything is correctly covered with insulation tape.

IMO the reason why the vacuum hose method may have been described as 'dangerous' to Adam2S is because people may not cover the ends with tape well enough to prevent a problem developing.

In my case, I have used the vacuum hose disconnection method in the bulk of the nearly 14000 miles I have driven so far with absolutely no problems whatsovever.

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753985 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431087 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258750 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255650 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79659 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5260 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868620 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802374 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM