Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

987 Boxster/Boxster S and Cayman Facelift 2009

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, is presenting the second generation of the mid-engined Boxster and Cayman sports cars for the first time at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The highlight of the new generation is of course the new flat-six boxer engines developed with new technical features from the ground up, providing not only more power, but also significantly greater fuel efficiency than their predecessors. A further improvement of both fuel economy and performance is guaranteed by the Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe or PDK for short, the new double-clutch gearbox.

Newly developed Boxer engines with even more power on even less fuel
    Displacing 2.9 litres, the “basic“ engine develops 255 bhp (188 kW) in the Boxster and 265 bhp (195 kW) in the Cayman, an increase by 10 and, respectively, 20 horsepower over the preceding models. The 3.4-litre power unit in the S-versions, benefiting from Direct Fuel Injection, now delivers 310 bhp (228 kW) in the Boxster S and 320 bhp (235 kW) in the Cayman S, up by 15 and, respectively, 25 bhp. An outstanding power-to-weight ratio ranging from 4.2 kg (9.3 lb)/bhp on the Cayman S to 5.2 kg (11.5 lb)/bhp on the Boxster offers the driver maximum driving dynamics on minimum fuel. As a result, the Cayman S with PDK and Launch Control featured in the optional Sports Chrono Package accelerates to 100 km/h in 4.9 seconds, setting the benchmark in the range, while the Boxster with its six-speed manual gearbox featured as standard completes the same exercise in 5.9 seconds.

Featuring PDK, both the Boxster and the Cayman for the first time outperform the nine-litre consumption mark: Both models with the new 2.9-litre Boxer engine make do with 8.9 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 26.4 mpg US) according to the EU4 standard – 11 per cent less than the former models with Tiptronic S. Reducing fuel consumption by an even more significant 16 per cent to 9.2 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 25.5 mpg US), the 3.4-litre versions with PDK offer an even greater saving over their predecessors with Tiptronic S.

Roadster and Coupé with even more signs of distinction
    The new two-seaters are clearly distinguishable from outside through their newly designed front and rear ends. The new halogen headlights with their integrated direction indicators are reminiscent of the lights on the Carrera GT, the new LED rear lights tapering out to the outside and integrated elegantly in the modified rear end of the car.

From the front the Roadster and Coupé differ clearly from one another through the distinctive design of their air intakes, from the rear through the new rear panels with diffuser inserts on the Boxster and a wind deflector plate on the Cayman.

The rod-shaped positioning lights in LED light conductor technology add a particular touch of class in terms of the cars’ looks, also through their horizontal arrangement in the outer air intakes. Yet a further highlight is provided by the foglamps featured as standard – rectangular in shape on the Boxster, round on the Cayman. For the first time both models are available with a Lights Package featuring bi-xenon headlights, dynamic curve lights and LED daytime driving lights. Replacing the foglamps, these light units are made up on the Boxster of four LEDs positioned next to one another, while on the Cayman four LEDs are arranged in round light units like the eyes of a dice.

PDK: shifting gears even more quickly, reducing fuel consumption by up to 16 per cent
    All four sports cars are available for the first time with the Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe or PDK carried over directly from motorsport and replacing the former Tiptronic S. Equipped with the PDK double-clutch gearbox, the Roadster and Coupé accelerate to 100 km/h or 62 mph 0.1 seconds faster than with the manual six-speed gearbox now also featured on the “basic” models.
    Acceleration is particularly fast and dynamic with one of the optional Sports Chrono Packages featuring Launch Control for maximum acceleration from a standing start and the Race Track Gearshift Strategy for the fastest conceivable gearshift as an exclusive highlight on the PDK models. Benefiting from Launch Control, the respective models accelerate from a standstill to 100 km/h or 62 mph yet another 2/10ths of a second faster.

The progress offered by PDK is even more impressive when it comes to fuel economy reduced by up to 16 per cent from the former figure on the first generation: According to the EU4 consumption standard, the Boxster and Cayman equipped with PDK consume just 8.9 litres/100 kilometres, equal to 26.3 mpg US, with the S-models offering almost the same level of economy at just 9.2 litres or 25.5 mpg US.

Dynamic suspension and supreme brakes
    The suspension with its new set-up gives the new models a combination of even greater driving dynamics and enhanced comfort all in one. Modification of the valve control map on the steering transmission serves furthermore to reduce steering forces, giving the Boxster and Cayman even more agile and spontaneous steering behaviour.
    The wheels come in new design and are half an inch wider on the “basic” models than in the past in order to accommodate the larger brake system of the S-models on the front axle. Both the Boxster and Cayman feature the latest generation of PSM Porsche Stability Management now offering two new functions: Brake Pre-Loading and the Brake Assistant. Whenever the driver lets go of the gas pedal very quickly – which is typical of an upcoming emergency braking manoeuvre – the PSM hydraulic control unit builds up an appropriate level of pressure on the wheel brakes before the driver even presses down the brake pedal, moving the brake pads slightly towards the discs for immediate action. This significantly improves brake response and shortens stopping distances accordingly. When recognising that the driver is braking in an emergency due to very fast operation of the brake pedal and a defined brake force, the PSM hydraulic control unit actively delivers the brake pressure required for maximum stopping power.

New audio and communication systems
    Both the Boxster and the Cayman come as standard with the new CDR-30 CD radio boasting an easy-to-read five-inch monochromatic display and the ability to play MP3 CDs. New PCM Porsche Communication Management available as an option complete with hard disc navigation serves as the central control unit for all audio, communication and navigation features.

PCM is now even more versatile, efficient and a lot easier to use than before, standing out in particular through its control monitor enabling the driver to select specific functions simply by tipping the appropriate key and increased in size from 5.8 to 6.5 inches.

As an option PCM is available with highly convenient voice control and, in conjunction with the optional, universal audio interface, can now be used also to control external audio sources such as an iPod® or USB stick.
    Last but not least, Porsche’s new two-seaters are available as an option with seat ventilation combined with seat heating on both the standard seats and the comfort seats with full or partial leather.

The new models are entering the market in February 2009. The base price of the Boxster in the Euro countries is Euro 38,600, the base price of the Cayman Euro 41,700. The corresponding prices of the Boxster S are Euro 46,700, of the Cayman S Euro 51,500. Including VAT and national specifications, the Boxster retails in Germany at Euro 46,142, the Cayman at Euro 49,831. The Boxster S, in turn, comes at a retail price of Euro 55,781, the Cayman S at Euro 61,493.
    --
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: 987 Boxster/Boxster S and Cayman Facelift 2009

hey, I love the front end... it is the best looking one thus farSmiley

I like the look of both Boxster and Cayman facelifts. Cayman S with 320bhp and PDK will be a very impressive piece of kit. Smiley i cannot understand why the 2.9 does not have the benefit of direct fuel injection, though 

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

The new Cayman S has virtually identical HP, torque, and weight specifications as the MkII 996 (and MkI 997). 0-100 km/h in 4.9s for the new Cayman S probably means 0-60 mph in 4.8s, which was Porsche's claim with the MkII996/MkI997.

With a mid engine layout and LSD (which is even more important given less weight over the rear axle compared to a 911), I think that it will be a very sporty and FUN car to drive. Fun because it is now plenty powerful, and easier to drive well than a 911 - less of a struggle. Those who track 911s will know what I mean by struggle - you do fight with the car sometimes and it can be hard to learn how to avoid that and make things smooth as silk with a 911, and this really is much easier with a Cayman S.

I am VERY tempted by this Cayman S. 

--
    "Rational arguments don't work on religious people, otherwise there'd be no religious people."-House

I do like what Porsche has done with the 987 FL. Especially, the front end on the Cayman.  I am not sure the additional 25 hp on the base 997.2 is enough to compensate for the overall balance of the Cayman S.
    --
    2006 987S, Artic Silver, Cocoa, Cocoa Top 2006 Cayenne S Lapis Blue New York

I do like what Porsche has done with the 987 FL. Especially, the front end on the Cayman.  I am not sure the additional 25 hp on the base 997.2 is enough to compensate for the overall balance of the Cayman S.
    --

Still priced higher than the Boxster?

Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah 

Re. Enzo911's pics:  Is that Nordic Gold?  seems a bit duller than 997 pics of this shade...
    --

Present: 2005 STi,  2002 M Coupe

Future: 2009 Cayman S - pending;  2010? Audi RS5 ??

Thanks for the new pictures Enzo, I have to admit the facelift is starting to grow on me and seems to suit the Cayman a little better than the Boxster, I'm looking forward to seeing both in person.

If any nice Porsche dealers can let me know if the new blue seen in the Panamera pic below and PSE will be available as options on the Cayman 2 from the get-go let me know, I'd probably be sold. Smiley

German's Auto Zeitung, tomorrow's  isssue

It's an interesting shade of metallic blue, somewhat akin to baltic and slate from the 1980s.  Probably Panamera only. 
    --
    Carpe Diem

DaveC:
    It's an interesting shade of metallic blue, somewhat akin to baltic and slate from the 1980s.  Probably Panamera only. 
    --
    Carpe Diem
    Yes, it is the new Panamera color called Kosmosblau(Cosmos Blue) Metallic(internal code M5X).

Thanks very much, would a spec of Cosmos Blue on a Cayman be considered "paint to sample" with a 3-6 month production delay? 

dr.j:
    Thanks very much, would a spec of Cosmos Blue on a Cayman be considered "paint to sample" with a 3-6 month production delay? 
    Unfortunately, answer is yes. Also, there is a potential problem with Cosmos Blue metallic since Panamera is not officially on the market yet... PAG could refuse do except that order right now and said to you that they would except Cosmos Blue only after start of Panamera production...

Porsche might do a paint to sample for a significant fee..

--

Porsche might do a paint to sample for a significant fee..

--

Thanks guys, I agree Dave, Cosmos reminded me of Baltic, maybe a little darker. It seems to be a much truer blue than my Midnight car which about once a week in the wrong light looks kind of purple.

I recently saw the new Aqua in person on a 997, nice but I liked Cobalt it replaced better. I could probably live with the $4315 paint to sample price tag but I don't think I could survive a possible 6 month wait, wish Porsche offered more color options and offered all their available colors across the board and not just for specific models, I think F car buyers have about 5 shades of blue alone.

Here is the 2009 Cayman Order Guide.

LSD is available with PDK only, no new Cayman for me, I'm a manual guy and was considering a 6 spd with LSD. Smiley

dr.j:

Here is the 2009 Cayman Order Guide.

LSD is available with PDK only, no new Cayman for me, I'm a manual guy and was considering a 6 spd with LSD. Smiley

I'm with you. That sucks.
    --
    "Rational arguments don't work on religious people, otherwise there'd be no religious people."-House

Thanks! Regarding LSD I will email my firend at Porsche in Stuttgart to check out.

Few options are missing from that USA order guide and wheels size are reprinted from 997.2...

Missing options that are(from production 2009) available:

XSA Sport seats back in leather

ECC Alu II gearlever and hand brake

XWR PDK Kulisse Alu optik

XWS PDK Kulisse in exterior color

XWT PDK Kulisse in Black

XWU PDK Kulisse in leather

IMHO either XWR, XWS, XWT or XWU are a must if you order ECB.

Kulisse,how looks this colour?is it black?

From the order guide....really 19" wheels has 295/30(carrera classic&sport design) and 305/30 (turbo and carrera sport)on the rear?

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

By the way, they pictured Timo Bernhard in the Boxster´s press pics?

andrea:

Kulisse,how looks this colour?is it black?

From the order guide....really 19" wheels has 295/30(carrera classic&sport design) and 305/30 (turbo and carrera sport)on the rear?

--

Regarding wheel correct size for rear wheels is 9.5x19 for all wheels except Carrera Sport(10x19). Rear tires are 265/35-19 on all 19" wheels.

Codes ECB and XWU are here:

http://www.porsche.com/germany/accessoriesandservices/personalisation/exclusive/911/911-carrera-4s-black/

ok,thanks for the info Kreso! it was strange to me so wider tyres in the order guide usa...
    --

Everything in that order guide available from first production??

Im very surprised to see Aerokit and PSE already listed when they are not yet available for 997.2......

--
    V6, V8 or V10?

Seraphim:

Everything in that order guide available from first production??

Im very surprised to see Aerokit and PSE already listed when they are not yet available for 997.2......

--
    V6, V8 or V10?
    NO. Aerokit April 2009, PSE June 2009... That order guide is not entirely accurate. I will try to post full German Price list next week...

SciFrog:

Still priced higher than the Boxster?

Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah 

10hp more justifies the higher price than Boxster.

--
    Happy Driving

I got email with some good info for manual fans of FL Cayman...

"Concerning your questions I would like to answer as follows:

1. At present it is only possible to order 220 in conjunction with PDK.
    Later (approximately may/june) it will probably be possible to combine 220
    as well with manual cars as well."

So, manual fans-just little bit more wait!

dr.j:

I recently saw the new Aqua in person on a 997, nice but I liked Cobalt it replaced better.

Call me prejudiced, but I agree cobalt seems classier than aqua, somehow. Here's an aqua car I photographed in the collection area at Stuttgart...

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802589 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448368 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265914 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89914 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6389 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885318 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832032 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM