Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Panamera - Official Pictures & Specs

No worries Misha! Smiley
    Like spyderidol said, you were convinced that you were onto something, and you made us all take a lot of critical looks at the spypics. This resulted in a lot of nice discussions.

Actually I hoped you would be right after all, but sadly it wasn't so. Well, we'll probably all get used to the panamera, and after a year or so we'll all be shouting that we love it to bits, despite the bad looks.

I have my hopes set on the panamera coupe now, hopefully they won't f*ck up the design of that car, 'cause it has the opportunity to become a real hit.

-Joost-

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Spyderidol & Joost  , I thank you both for a nice words and support  - if only Panamera turn out .....    Smiley   (what's in this glasses , can I have my pills with it ?? )

KresoF1:
    I have to say that I still am not a fan. BUT, this Panamera could be new Citroen DS of modern days... Porsche is indeed very, very brave with this design.
    You are absolutely right. The design is pretty "unique". One probably has to see it in person to reach a final conclusion Smiley

RC:

I also have good news for Panamera Turbo customers: apparently Porsche also plans to offer a powerkit for the Turbo, rumored HP output is 540 to 550 HP.

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW
    A powerkit would clearly help to position the turbo properly Smiley Given the weight of the car I see no way other than max hp to cope with the fast limousines on the market (Alpina B7, S63, S65, S8/W12 etc.) 

As I thought/hoped all the angles but the side are pretty decent.  I still don't like the shape of that side gill.  But other than that I can see how this is supposed to be functionally elegant.  If that function part is missing the whole thing crumbles though.  So e.g. there had better be some really usable space in the rear!

My wife saw the pics.  She said, "looks like a Porsche."  FWIW and all that.

I believe the car will be quite successful because it is odd in an interesting, Porsche, manner. It doesn't look like anything else in its class and these are buyers who will most likely choose among the S Class/7 Series/Jag XJ/Lexus 460, and so the Porsche will likely be a revelation and clearly convey bragging rights in the pertinent social circles.
    --
    Carpe Diem

I wonder if this will trigger the BMW V5 or whatever they already plan to compete... 

what you guys think the chances of a A8 hatchback a la Panamera style will be, since they are one... I think Porsche might have a winner, beacause the final pics really look like nothing else, which in combination with the porsche badge will draw a lot of customers who're bored with their bmws and mercedes's. I admire Porsche for their bold move.. and i hope this thing sells such that we'll have a front engine sports car again as well!!!!

hats down a nice add on to the family.

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

Auto Zeitung video  (good side shot)  :   http://www.autozeitung.de/porsche-panamera-17

Atzporsche:

I wonder if this will trigger the BMW V5 or whatever they already plan to compete...

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

The BMW V5 or PAS 5 will be more like an MVP with a cut off roof rather than a premium sports cruiser. What they had in mind to compete with the Panamera was the new BMW 8-Series which we've seen as the Concept CS, but a few weeks ago BMW decided to scrap the project.

Emperor:
    Atzporsche:

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

The BMW V5 or PAS 5 will be more like an MVP with a cut off roof rather than a premium sports cruiser. What they had in mind to compete with the Panamera was the new BMW 8-Series which we've seen as the Concept CS, but a few weeks ago BMW decided to scrap the project.

Oh ya i got that wrong.. i was thinking the V5 to be more of a low sporty station wagon cause the X6 is just here too.. so the V5 will be quite similar to the X6 in size? I don't see the point then, since the X6 is quite sporty already...

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

Misha011:
    Auto Zeitung video (good side shot) : http://www.autozeitung.de/porsche-panamera-17
    I'm really worried now......... I quite like it in that video Smiley

The funny thing - yes I was shouting yesterday how ugly this car is, but to be honest - I start feeling sympathy for that bold car. Maybe its like with some CDs. First time you listen to it, you just like some songs, but after a while you feel that the whole CD is good.

Still - I dont like this side view around the back, but the rear and front view  - hmm - kind of nice!

Lars997:

The funny thing - yes I was shouting yesterday how ugly this car is, but to be honest - I start feeling sympathy for that bold car. Maybe its like with some CDs. First time you listen to it, you just like some songs, but after a while you feel that the whole CD is good.

Still - I dont like this side view around the back, but the rear and front view  - hmm - kind of nice!

Lars, soon you will like the side view too when you see it in the metal.

In pictures and in films you cannot see clearly the exact shape and contour of the area around the C pillar,the rear fender and the rear lights. This rear side area appears flatter and heavier, which is not the case in real 3-D.

ISUK:
    Misha011:
    Auto Zeitung video (good side shot) : http://www.autozeitung.de/porsche-panamera-17
    Maybe my pills would work in either case    Smiley   Smiley

Misha011:
    ISUK:
    Misha011:
    Maybe my pills would work in either case Smiley Smiley
    I must have taken some already Smiley My dealer did say that the car needs the biggest wheels and looks better in darker colours so I think he was spot on. He said the rear looks better in real life than it does in photo's though it will take getting used to on a car of this size.

When Cayenne was launched , I was in a hospital ICU after serius hart surgery . A friend from London DHL-ed me all latest motoring magazines he could get . Cayenne on all front pages  OMG  Smiley  had to buzz for a nurse ..... now I like Cayenne (TT) very much .  Likely , the same will be with Panamera ....    only , where is that nurse now Smiley

lol, well Misha, I'd try to take the pills with some whiskey... if the pills don't work, you still a nice whiskey :D

I think you guys are weird. It does look ugly, but it is also something that is quite new. However, I can't stop wondering what it would have lookied like if they gave the roofline the same shape as the CGT, with the rollbars being the end of the roofline, and then a conventional hatch ala BMW for the luggage compartment.

-Joost-

ps Misha, about the nice comments: That's what rennteam is all about, and that is why I love it so much!
    --

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

MKSGR:
    KresoF1:
    I have to say that I still am not a fan. BUT, this Panamera could be new Citroen DS of modern days... Porsche is indeed very, very brave with this design.
    You are absolutely right. The design is pretty "unique". One probably has to see it in person to reach a final conclusion Smiley
    There has been a lot of input from US customers and PCNA reps regarding the design. Maybe because the US is their main target market. I don't say this is a bad thing but I get the feeling that this "special" look is highly influenced by this input from the US.

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Joost , I trust it will be 'single malt'  no ice   Smiley 

P.S.  Me too !

RC:
    There has been a lot of input from US customers and PCNA reps regarding the design. Maybe because the US is their main target market. I don't say this is a bad thing but I get the feeling that this "special" look is highly influenced by this input from the US.

--
    Honestly hatchbacks and estates have been very unsuccessful designs in the US. I would be surprised if PCNA was the "butt" of the problemSmiley

--

track vid

0-300kph

chasing a 997GT2

eclou:
    Honestly hatchbacks and estates have been very unsuccessful designs in the US. I would be surprised if PCNA was the "butt" of the problemSmiley

The Panamera has a fifth lifting door at the back but it is not a hatchback or estate design.

A hatchback design is characterised by a third side window after the rear door.

Similarly, a 928 had a rear door but obviously it didn't fall into the hatchback category. Or currently the Cayman is another example.

The Panamera is a two-volume design as opposed to the typical three-volume designs of  the other large saloons/sedans. Given the present shape it could even do with a normal luggage space cover instead of the lifting door, whereas a hatchback design needs to have a lifting door.

--
    It's not where you are going, it's how you get there that counts!

The Panamera is more like a fastback. Somewhere between a hatch, coupe and sedan. 

eclou:
    RC:

--

--

track vid

0-300kph

chasing a 997GT2

......  and what is this ??  Very noughty ..

reginos:

One word - Golf. That kind of blows your definition out the window (if you pardon the pun) Smiley

I personally think it is an awful design where the lines flow like it is a bog standard family saloon car!! I bet the Aston Martin Rapide will gain more interest

Joshua:
    I personally think it is an awful design where the lines flow like it is a bog standard family saloon car!! I bet the Aston Martin Rapide will gain more interest
    It won't. Aston Martins have always been overshadowed by Porsche cars. The Panamera will be nowhere as practical as the 911 and will be beaten in the performance category.

Lars997:

The same thing is happening to me. Today I can even say that I like it. It is unique and will have good driving performance.

--

-------

AM

Some of you guys are missing out on a very important fact:

the scenery of the promotional video might be misleading but this car will regularly be seen in cities around the world. The visual demands for that task are clearly different than the ones for a dynamic appearance at the Nordschleife. Take, for example, the choice of cars in front of any given cafe (or Starbucks), a Carrera fits just right while a GT3RS would look misplaced and inappropriate.

It certainly was demanding to incorporate functional and aesthetical aspects into this particular car and a Maser 4Porte or AM Rapide might be more elegant (which might be debatable as well) but most of you will agree when seeing the car in persona: it fits the task just right! Smiley

sorry.. but the car must be very very  big...   the wheels look like a 15'' in the car...

i think maybe a bigger wheel , will let it SPORTIER....

i heard that the turbo version uses 21'' wheels.... so imagine the SIZE of this beast....

ISUK:
    reginos:

One word - Golf. That kind of blows your definition out the window (if you pardon the pun) Smiley

Yes, you are right the VW Golf is an exception to the "hatchback 3rd window" rule because Giugiarro who designed the Mk I  opted for the thick C-pillar instead, that has become a design trademark.

This exception reinforces the rule though.

However, its rear door is almost vertical which is another typical hatchback/estate design element.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690565 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409813 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256050 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235289 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65670 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858486 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774763 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM