Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Do you think I should buy this?

After the confusion made at Aston Martin, I'm not sure if I want to go that route anymore. They offered me a very attractive deal, but it complicated things. Perhaps in February I will put down a proper order for a DBS. Do you guys think I should rather get this in the meantime? 1 of 3 genuine Carol Shelby kits in the country.

http://www.futureexotics.com/html/car9.html

Also those specs are incorrect. The car is doing 478 whp up at altitude, so probaby around 500+ at sea level.

Re: Do you think I should buy this?

Don't let the emotions from the DBS fiasco over-run you to make an impulse buy :)
    --
    Tom

I certainly like it better than the DBS...
    --
    Off enjoying my car...

Between the two, I would go for the DBS.

I'm not trying to confuse things more, but I saw a Maserati Gran Turismo S at the gym yesterday. If you haven't looked at that car, you should check it out. It's absolutely stunning in person. It also sounds fantastic.Smiley

http://www.maserati.com/maserati/en/en/index/models/GranTurismo.html

and as you can see here, if you need to pull a caravan, problem solved!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58NnJPi6138

Thanks for the responses guys, but like I said- it's not as if I will never be interested in a DBS again because of this car. Just for the time being I can get this and I will still have time to order a DBS in January next year if I'm still very eager. Dealer said there is enough time if I choose to go this route instead.

JoeRockhead:

Between the two, I would go for the DBS.

I'm not trying to confuse things more, but I saw a Maserati Gran Turismo S at the gym yesterday. If you haven't looked at that car, you should check it out. It's absolutely stunning in person. It also sounds fantastic.Smiley

http://www.maserati.com/maserati/en/en/index/models/GranTurismo.html

and as you can see here, if you need to pull a caravan, problem solved!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58NnJPi6138

Hi Joe, I drove the GranTurismo S a few weeks ago. It's a very nice car, but it's not something that struck me as something I have to have. No new Maserati does actually. Give me a 1962 Maserati Sebring anyday!

You certainly have unique "problems" mike.

I am a big AM fan but i have to say the DB9 like the DB7 just does not cut it. It looks like a watered down jag. In fact the new 08/09 Jag XKR is much much better looking. Saw both a week ago. For an AM its either a V8 or wait for the new Vanquish, they say 1 is coming. (The DBS is just a tarted-up DB9)

I am also a big mustang fan, ordered 1 new as my first car years ago. fun! Since you have the dough get the real deal. None of this eleanor stuff.

Find one of these and ship it over; 69-70 BOSS 429 MUSTANG

And for something a little newer;

this is BADASS

http://www.saleen.com/2008_s302_xt.asp

If I were in your illustrious shoes Mike, I would consider only 3 cars left to compete your epic collection

(1) Aston Martin DBS

(2) Porsche GT2 or a CGT

(3) Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport (convertible)

Smiley

--
    MY2008 997 Turbo - Cargraphic stage II powerkit (544PS/798Nm) | HRE P40's | Bilstein Damptronics | GMC Sway/Toe-steer/Dog-bone kits

racerx:

You certainly have unique "problems" mike.

I am a big AM fan but i have to say the DB9 like the DB7 just does not cut it. It looks like a watered down jag. In fact the new 08/09 Jag XKR is much much better looking. Saw both a week ago. For an AM its either a V8 or wait for the new Vanquish, they say 1 is coming. (The DBS is just a tarted-up DB9)

I am also a big mustang fan, ordered 1 new as my first car years ago. fun! Since you have the dough get the real deal. None of this eleanor stuff.

Find one of these and ship it over; 69-70 BOSS 429 MUSTANG

Hi Racer,

I'll tell you why the one I'm looking at is appealing. This one is already registered in my country before the banning of all new LHD cars. So I can actually drive it on the roads. If I had to bring one in on my own I'm not sure I'd be able to. Plus fake or not, it's a damn good fake and I wouldn't mind driving it Smiley

Alex_997TT:

If I were in your illustrious shoes Mike, I would consider only 3 cars left to compete your epic collection

(1) Aston Martin DBS

(2) Porsche GT2 or a CGT

(3) Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport (convertible)

Smiley

--
    MY2008 997 Turbo - Cargraphic stage II powerkit (544PS/798Nm) | HRE P40's | Bilstein Damptronics | GMC Sway/Toe-steer/Dog-bone kits
    Ironically, Porsche Centre called me about a yellow GT2 they have on the floor. I like the new GT2, but perhaps later. There is a black CGT there with 10 miles on the odo, but they want $1.2 million USD for it. (At the old exchange rate)

Mike S:
    Ironically, Porsche Centre called me about a yellow GT2 they have on the floor. I like the new GT2, but perhaps later. There is a black CGT there with 10 miles on the odo, but they want $1.2 million USD for it. (At the old exchange rate)

Yellow GT2, hmmm.  I like the one in my thumbnail signature link.  White with black wheels

Yes, that's a crazy amount to pay for a CGT.  What's up with circa £300k cars in your country?! - the Zonda was insane too.

--

Mike,

since that Movie "60 Second" this Shelby Cobra is highly overrated. Yes - it looks stunning. But indeed, its still the Mustang Technology underneath. 

For sure, this car always will have its lovers, but those majory because of this Movie. Not sure if I would invest into it. This must be purly passion, otherwise keep hands of.

Lars997:

Mike,

since that Movie "60 Second" this Shelby Cobra is highly overrated. Yes - it looks stunning. But indeed, its still the Mustang Technology underneath. 

For sure, this car always will have its lovers, but those majory because of this Movie. Not sure if I would invest into it. This must be purly passion, otherwise keep hands of.

I agree, it looks really cool, but I'd certainly drive it first before committing to it.  If ya gunna buy it and just look at it then that's fair enough. Smiley I persoanlly like to look of them, but doubt I'd buy one...Smiley

It is difficult to decide what to add to your collection though but it might be a good collectors item.  I like your dilemma though Smiley

--

Check out my Gallery

Alex_997TT:
    Mike S:

Yellow GT2, hmmm.  I like the one in my thumbnail signature link.  White with black wheels

Yes, that's a crazy amount to pay for a CGT.  What's up with circa £300k cars in your country?! - the Zonda was insane too.

--
    Tell me about it, a Phantom is now going for the equivalent of $1.2 million USD with our rubbish currency at the old exchange rate to the pound. With current exchange rate it's obviously still similar in pounds, just 30-40% more than what it used to cost locally! I hate our import tax....

Lars997:

Mike,

Thanks Lars, I think it would be a good addition at it VERY contrasting to what is at home at the moment. Should make weekends more interesting. I would not be selling the vehicle again once I purchase it.

ResB:
    Lars997:

Mike,

I agree, it looks really cool, but I'd certainly drive it first before committing to it.  If ya gunna buy it and just look at it then that's fair enough. Smiley I persoanlly like to look of them, but doubt I'd buy one...Smiley

It is difficult to decide what to add to your collection though but it might be a good collectors item.  I like your dilemma though Smiley

--

Check out my Gallery

Hi Res, I have emailed the sales lady, will be flying down this week to have a drive!

Mike S:

Hi Res, I have emailed the sales lady, will be flying down this week to have a drive!
    Hi Mike, don't forget your camera and make sure to share your impressions! Cant wait to see more pictures of this car!

How about this one Wiesmann ? I made the picture on the car-show here in Zurich last week-end. In real life even better looking and a BMW V10....

DSC_0906.jpg

Mike S:
    ResB:
    Lars997:

Mike,

--

Check out my Gallery

Cool, you know it makes sense. Smiley  Make sure you experience some chicane's and hairpins on the test drive, but be careful or you'll do what I did on a kids Quad bike this weekend and brake ya bloody shoulder or worse...(stupid fool I am)

http://www.zen89393.zen.co.uk/Archive/Video/Dumb%20Quad%20Accident.wmv

Enjoy the drive. Smiley

--

Check out my Gallery

LOL! Res, was that you on the kiddies quad bike? Smiley

I'll be sure to try avoid a situation like that! Glad you are alright!

Mike S:

LOL! Res, was that you on the kiddies quad bike? Smiley

I'll be sure to try avoid a situation like that! Glad you are alright!

Yeah it was... lol, very embarrassing....broke my shoulder blade even though it looked so sedate......I dunno, kids!

--

Check out my Gallery

get it mike !  

sports cars are all about the feeling to them, and if this one struck a cord with you, you should go for it. DBS you can get a hold of anytime, but this is a rare car. and those Foose wheels look amazing on  it !!. 

Hey Mike, if in future you are going to ask our opinions first every time you buy a new car, it should certainly stop people asking if the forum is less active than it used to be.   Smiley
    --
    fritz

@Res: LOL, you must have looked like a real hero to the youngsters that day! Smiley

@fritz: Haha I will keep that in mind!

@emmanuel: will post pics sometime this week! I can't wait!

ResB:
    Yeah it was... lol, very embarrassing....broke my shoulder blade even though it looked so sedate......I dunno, kids!

Ouch Res! Too bad of the outcome because that looked like fun up until that point!

Yeah, was getting the back end out and all sorts, but this time it gripped and sent me packing...<note to self, be weary of changing surfaces> Smiley
    --

Check out my Gallery

In my opinion, I wouldn't go for it...

I'm sorry but this type of exotics are not my cup of tea at all......

I prefer a million times a DBS, and waiting 3-4months untill I get it delivered.....its part of the process...hehe Smiley, although you need to be patient.

I vote for a DBS in white colour !!!! Smiley

--

Update, I just arrived back from my flight from Cape Town. The car is pretty much what I expected. Not perfect, but it's definitely different. This thing draws 10x the attention my Murcielago and Phantom get put together IMO! While I was there discussing with the sales manager, about 4-5 different group of people walked into the showroom to look at the GT500 and then immediately left without glances twice at what else was on the showroom.

It idles like a Harley, the whole car judders violently at a traffic intersection, which I actually like! The exhausts that come from the sides helps a lot to hear the car when it's right behind your ears.

They want a very steep price though, but we will see if the guy is willing to drop it a little tomorrow. Keep you all posted.

That's what a real muscle car does, they rumble and actually shake the ground. 

Because of this talk i went to one of the local dealers yesterday and they had 2 special mustangs. I checked them out inside and the engine bays. The anniversary 2008 GT500KR was a mean looking mustang and had a real unique shifter. A white ball like a q-ball on top of a thick piece of industrial steel. The shortest, most sure, shift pattern i have ever experienced. It stickered at 44K, but supposedly they sell at a large premium. Rated at 540 hp some have 510 at the wheels.

It's a mustang, raw power on a simple but rugged platform and a good value, not sophisticated just fun.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762927 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435622 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260645 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257663 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80974 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872526 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807939 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM