Crown

Forum - Thread

Manthey 997GT2 Supertest

Guys, Manthey have apparently given a 997GT2 (fitted with all their aerodynamic goodies and their newly signed off 600hp motor) to Sport Auto magazine to be submitted to a full Supertest.

I don't want to miss this one, can our pals in Germany keep an eye on the book stands for this one and post up details when they come out ? many thanks :) (smilies aren't working for me so that is all you get for now ;) )

Re: Manthey 997GT2 Supertest

TB993tt:

Guys, Manthey have apparently given a 997GT2 (fitted with all their aerodynamic goodies and their newly signed off 600hp motor) to Sport Auto magazine to be submitted to a full Supertest.

I don't want to miss this one, can our pals in Germany keep an eye on the book stands for this one and post up details when they come out ? many thanks :) (smilies aren't working for me so that is all you get for now ;) )

Sure we do Smiley I would be most interested in this Supertest SmileySmileySmiley

Nice one :)

I hope that the pics come through below, if not I am truely knackered !

Manthey claim 15kg extra downforce for front spoiler and wheelarch gurney set up and a further 8kg at the back for the extended rear lip.

So the Manthey set up should in the windtunnel generate Front 24kg downforce rear 37kg downforce (this is assuming Manthey also quotes his downforce numbers at the 200kph of the supertest)

The MM600 kit is 600PS/780NM with stock GT2 VTGs, should be a beast, I am really looking forward to the numbers to see what the stock units can do...

That is a great teaser you posted...Smiley

I am very interested in the specs of this car... 

I have been chatting to Paolo a guy who posts on Rennlist (not sure if he is on here) who has the RS Tuning stage 2 fitted - looks similar to the Manthey 600PS/700NM.

I have being eyeing the bigger VTGs which are good for 640PS/820NM (with Carrillos) so was very interested in his opinion, I don't want to make the car so its torque delivery is so savage that it becomes undrivable...

Here is what Paolo says:

Result?
    The car has changed behavior. Totally.
    Before it was powerful but smooth, now is very reactive and aggressive.
    The difference is major, particularly on the torque.
    It arrives 500 rpm later, but much much stronger.

I need to drive it more, because the alignments need to be improved. Too much squat, even in 4th gear. I'm thinking to increase rear caster, like the Cup cars.
    The rest is ok.

I think we are here at the limits of a drivable car. Stage 3 (turbos) or stage 4 (intercoolers) will probably change the reactions too much, at least for a mean driver like me

nice test and thanks for the info.Any possibiliy to see also for 997 the rsr replica they did for 996? the 996M700 rsr bodykit replica with 700hp and 800nm was a real beast

--
    Dedi La vita è troppo corta per non guidare italiano.....

i really believe the gt2 is at it's best bone stock. it really does not need more power than it already delivers.
    --
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:
    i really believe the gt2 is at it's best bone stock. it really does not need more power than it already delivers.
    --

I think it is what one is used to.... whilst admittedly I have not driven one yet, someone I know who knows fast cars (and who has driven my 993tt 800NM extensively) says I will find it tame....

Anyway here is the latest addition to Manthey's price list:

I would be most interested in the performance figures of this car. I hope that your info regrading a Supertest of this car is correct SmileySmileySmiley

The info re the Supertest was from Jan at Manthey so I guess they have given them the car and it is up to the magazine ?

Can you translate the price list for me ? it seems quite expensive (especially at the new £ to Euro rate currently 0.87 Euro to the £ !!!!!!) but does it say it includes clutch and intercooler ? Thanks...

TB993tt:
    intouch1:
    --

I think it is what one is used to.... whilst admittedly I have not driven one yet, someone I know who knows fast cars (and who has driven my 993tt 800NM extensively) says I will find it tame....

Not to mention your previous 612bhp Carrera GT Toby - a 600bhp GT2 should be definitely tame compared to this!

--
    MY2008 997 Turbo - Cargraphic stage II powerkit (544PS/798Nm) | HRE P40's | Bilstein Damptronics | GMC Sway/Toe-steer/Dog-bone kits

TB993tt:
    intouch1:
    --

Exactly! The kit includes new intercoolers, a special 980NM "race" clutch, a new exhaust system, changes to the engine electronics and a new reinforced "Cup" differential.

The product description also includes the statement that the Kit will improve the acceleration peformance and top-speed Smiley 

MKSGR:
    TB993tt:
    intouch1:
    --

Exactly! The kit includes new intercoolers, a special 980NM "race" clutch, a new exhaust system, changes to the engine electronics and a new reinforced "Cup" differential.

The product description also includes the statement that the Kit will improve the acceleration peformance and top-speed Smiley 

Markus,

If the K600 performance numbers look good, will you perhaps "Manthey-ize" your GT2?

--

1997 993 TT Proto 3.8L 700HP

2005 996 TSCab EVO GT700

2006 Noble M400 "M600" 573RWHP

2007 Audi RS4 MTM SC 540PS

Already thinking about it... But then, the GT2 in standard setup is so refined. I somehow hesitate to "disturb" that pefection...

for me Manthey is The Tuner,n°1 for Porsche
    --

andrea:
    for me Manthey is The Tuner,n°1 for Porsche

I would be happy with either Ruf, Cargraphic or Manthey Smiley

--
    MY2008 997 Turbo - Cargraphic stage II powerkit (544PS/798Nm) | HRE P40's | Bilstein Damptronics | GMC Sway/Toe-steer/Dog-bone kits

So the Manthey K600 includes intercoolers ? This is interesting.....

RS Tuning offer their Secan 15K Euro intercoolers which are the gold standard (and should be at that stupid price Smiley ) and maintain intake temp at within 20DegC of ambient even in 30DegC ambient race conditions, but I have been researching other availble aftermarket units. Of course RS say other aftermarket intercoolers do not work as well/any better than the Porsche items.....

The problem is in the testing, I know a Russian guy had his 997tt on the Manthey Maha dyno with a set of Blownsix intercoolers (seem to be a cheap aftermarket design) and he reported a ~10hp improvement but my problem is that even on Manthey's excellent dyno rig the air being blown through is only at a constant (albeit high) velocity and cannot be more than ~100kph which is surely not representative of what the intercoolers are doing at 200+kph .....

I am wondering if Manthey is also using these cheaper aftermarket I/Cs and whether they have really tested them any further than just on the dyno ? 

TB993tt:

RS Tuning offer their Secan 15K Euro intercoolers which are the gold standard (and should be at that stupid price Smiley ) and maintain intake temp at within 20DegC of ambient even in 30DegC ambient race conditions, but I have been researching other availble aftermarket units. Of course RS say other aftermarket intercoolers do not work as well/any better than the Porsche items.....

The problem is in the testing, I know a Russian guy had his 997tt on the Manthey Maha dyno with a set of Blownsix intercoolers (seem to be a cheap aftermarket design) and he reported a ~10hp improvement but my problem is that even on Manthey's excellent dyno rig the air being blown through is only at a constant (albeit high) velocity and cannot be more than ~100kph which is surely not representative of what the intercoolers are doing at 200+kph .....

I am wondering if Manthey is also using these cheaper aftermarket I/Cs and whether they have really tested them any further than just on the dyno ? 

Very interesting post.

The Manthey product description says something about "OEM quality". Whatever that means regarding the question you raise above. 

TB993tt:

I think Manthey works seriously and is stimated

--

Andrea

I'm not sure what you mean by "stimated" ? , but agree that Manthey stuff is amongst the top and I would only ever choose between Manthey, RS Tuning although Manthey are probably more biased towards chassis and aerodynamic excellence whereas RS is THE Porsche engine guru.

It is the methodology of the testing which interests me, along with a couple of others we tested 3 different intercoolers on a 993tt driving up to 300kph and logging all data - the results were interesting with the expensive Secan justifying its cost - what was interesting is how the stock unit maintained a decently low intake temp once a high airflow went through the cores with the other (high quality expensive Marston cores) aftermarket one not performing very much better..... Hence my interest in exactly what Manthey's testing consists of ? with the anecdotal claim by the Russian guy of +10PS NOT being a definative test IMO Smiley

Markus - the "OEM quality" is a good hint but I wonder if this is more to do with fitment and finish rather than the effectiveness of the core ? 

TB993tt:

Andrea

I'm not sure what you mean by "stimated" ? , but agree that Manthey stuff is amongst the top and I would only ever choose between Manthey, RS Tuning although Manthey are probably more biased towards chassis and aerodynamic excellence whereas RS is THE Porsche engine guru.

It is the methodology of the testing which interests me, along with a couple of others we tested 3 different intercoolers on a 993tt driving up to 300kph and logging all data - the results were interesting with the expensive Secan justifying its cost - what was interesting is how the stock unit maintained a decently low intake temp once a high airflow went through the cores with the other (high quality expensive Marston cores) aftermarket one not performing very much better..... Hence my interest in exactly what Manthey's testing consists of ? with the anecdotal claim by the Russian guy of +10PS NOT being a definative test IMO Smiley

Markus - the "OEM quality" is a good hint but I wonder if this is more to do with fitment and finish rather than the effectiveness of the core ? 

Yes I know RS tuning is the best for turbo engine.

With "stimated" I wanted to express that if you go to manthey you are sure the tuner is professional and one of the best

--

TB993tt:

I don't know what they mean by "OEM quality" either. Sounds nice, though Smiley

MKSGR:
    :

FWIW, I read the price list to mean that new Cup diff-lock friction plates are installed, not a complete "reinforced Cup differential",

--
    fritz

The Manthey kit looks well resolved with a nice touch for reliability being the uprated clutch and the trick diff plates no doubt add to the driving experience.

RS Tuning still reckon other intercoolers are a backward step from stock and they say this regardless of whether you are buying their Secans or not....

The RS Tuning 600PS/790NM kit is basically manifolds, cats, air filter and ECU and looks good value at ~12500 Euro.

Higher torque than this (640PS/825NM) requires special VTGs Carillo conrods, clutch/flywheel and engine dyno time and costs much much more....

I am seriously leaning towards the RS600 kit as a first step, particularly as I don't fancy converting my third world Sterling into Euros at this moment in time ! 

The latest issue of Sportauto contains the test of the Manthey M600 (unfortunately, no Supertest).

0-100: 3.7s 

0-200: 10.7s 

Top-speed: 325kph (probably due to worse aerodynamics...)

200-0: 135.6m

Weight: 1480kg (20kg less than standard GT2 due to carbon doors, seats and mag rims) 

HHR:  1.08,4s (with wider tires: 265-345 PS2)

HHR: 1.09,3s (with GT2 sized tires)

Engine kit: Euro 26k

Suspension: Euro 10k

Rims: Euro 10k

Aerodynamics: Euro 4k

Apparently, Manthey changes the suspension using unibal fixings. As a consequence, the M600 seems to get very uncomfortable/jumpy and can no longer be used on public roads in a proper way... Still, even this extreme change of the setup (plus, of course, 60hp more) does improve the lap time by just  0.5s... Only wider tires give access to a significantly improved lap time of 1.08,4.

In summary, this test confirms how perfect the standard GT2 already is. It is nearly impossible to improve this car further... The only way to get it faster is to ruin the car's qualities for public roads.

The engine is praised a lot: described as "feels much more powerful", still very smooth, perfect for daily use Smiley  

go here to find the latest .pdf test on sport auto

http://www.manthey-motors.de/mainframe.asp?lang=de&e1=294
    --

How do I order the carbon fiber blade for the rear spoiler? 
    --

2008 Porsche 911 GT2 2008 Corvette Z06 2008 BMW 550I 2006 Dinan M3 Cab

2009 Audi S5 2009 Audi R8

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM