Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Z06 - AMS test !

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Where you got those figures from is beyond me. I can show you 3 publications that hve the Z06 hitting 0-60 in 3.4 seconds, and at least a half dozen more that show 0-60 in 3.6 to 3.8. And as far as your bet on the ring goes, if they test a stock 997TT with stock tires against a stock Z06, I will bet you the house, the farm or anything else that the Z will smoke the TT. Remember, I own a Z06 and also drive my buddys 2005 996TT 6 speed quite often. The Z just smokes the TT in every competition. And remember this: the new Z06 is based almost completely on the C6R which is destroying all competition on the track its first year out of the box!!! Still want to bet?????

Race cars and stock have NOTHING in common,no matter what GM says.
    How many factory cars has Chevrolet beaten?FYI Ferraris and Aston Martins are from Prodrive.If GM really is that good in motorsports why isn't Chevrolet competing in the prototype classes?
    And yeah,I say the 997 Turbo will be 10 seconds faster than the Z06.

Another thing:NA engines improve their performance with higher air pressure,not neccessarily air temperature.
    Turbo- or Supercharged cars depend a lot on air temperature but not much on air pressure.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    Quote:
    turbolite said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    MKSGR, I really want to know wich is quicker AFTER 120mph.

Did AMS publish any Z06 data for accelleration after 200kph in their test? And also, what was the air temperature during their testing?

temperature in Germany in these weeks has been exceptionally cold, constantly between -2 and +6 Celsius. It has been snowing even tonight in Frankfurt, which is certainly not the coldes place in Germany. So to answer your real question, yes it was certainly cold during the test and probably performance will improve slightly if it goes up.

I thought it was the other way around: the lower the temperature is, the better the engine efficiency is.

That's only true for turbo-engines, since they get more cold air through their intercoolers. For NA-enginges a warmer weather is better for optimum performance.

are you sure rossi? because over here in august for example when the temperature reaches +36degrees i always feel the car much slower than a temp of +15deg. i used to think like ziggy ,the colder the better. i also feel a difference in the summer when all fans of the car starts ,i feel it slower...

Dimitri, you are right! Colder is better!

Quote:
    MKSGR said:

RC, your comparison has only one little drawback: you are comparing the Z06 and the Tip version of the 997TT.

If you take the 997TT manual (i.e. same gear technology as in case of the Z06) the 997TT stands no chance. What does that tell us?

The 997 wasn't tested yet.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    The entire VTG blablabla is basically nonsense. The 997TT engine is nothing special. It delivers less performance than a cheap, US sportscar. What a shame

Porsche failed.

Well,the Porsche has it's peak torque between 1950 and 5000rpm...I don't think they failed.

Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

RC, your comparison has only one little drawback: you are comparing the Z06 and the Tip version of the 997TT.

If you take the 997TT manual (i.e. same gear technology as in case of the Z06) the 997TT stands no chance. What does that tell us?

That is correct. However, it appears unlikely that the test results will be 1 second better than official data... And if they were, such test results would raise other concerns as to how comparable the tested car was to customer cars

No, I think we have conclusive evidence on the table already. I do not like it, but the facts are rather clear

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

That is correct. However, it appears unlikely that the test results will be 1 second better than official data... And if they were, such test results would raise other concerns as to how comparable the tested car was to customer cars

No, I think we have conclusive evidence on the table already. I do not like it, but the facts are rather clear

And to you latter point I might add: it will be much easier for Porsche to deliver a particularly well going 997tt for any test than for the Vette to be specially prepared. the 997 tt just needs a little bit more pressure on the turbos and there come some surprise hps... not sure they'd do it, but since mercedes delivered a sl55 with an slr engine for a test to AMS i guess nothing's impossible..

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Dont you know that GMs core business is health care and retirement benefits!

Jim,

That is REALLY funny

It's also very close to the truth

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:993TT... nothing could touch it under 200K.
    996TT... at first nothing could touch it... and later many cars could.
    997TT... from the get go... a $75,000 GM piece of crap can handle it.

Two problems with this assessment:
    1. Z06 is not crap
    2. It costs $65k very well equipped

Jim, are you sure about that Michelin tyre info? and would you know when they'd be available? thanks!

Despite Z06 price bargain, I'm pretty sure we'll see more 997TTs on the roads, even in the US. One reason is that the vette is a sport version of the C6. So I think the Z06 real performance's rival is the 997 GT2 (which will cost even more)

Quote:
    Grant said:
    HP wins races, especially with a high redline. This allows low and close gearing. Gearing acts as a torque multiplier, so a well geared high-hp motor can put plenty of torque to the road. A high torque low-rev motor isn't going to win any races except for Monster Trucks...

I agree.

Gary

I really can't beleive the close mindedness on this forum. Maybe I am a regular guy on a rich man's forum, but I have read numerous posts about Corvette owners and how ridiculous they are. That 402 meters is not what it's all about, and acceleration is such a small part of the equation. You claim that driving experience is everything,...then I read post after post about 0-100, 100-200, 80 -120 accerleration, and who is faster by .001 seconds. So, what this means is that you all DO CARE...VERY MUCH!

I thought the regular Corvette guys were ridiculous with this sh&t, but you guys take the cake! You literally talk about the same crap, but just stand behind a different badge. You guys are just as biased as a "typical" Corvette owner, if not much worse. I really expected some more openmindedness and intelligence on this forum.

I am not what one would call a "typical" Corvette owner. I have been road racing cars for years and have been to a drag stip once and could care less. I subsribe to Sports Car International, EVO, and Top Gear, not Motor Trend. I choose a Corvette, becuase at the track (for the money..yes), it was the FASTEST car in the paddock. I know there aren't many in Europe for you guys to see first hand, but I'm telling you they are cleaning house very fast at road courses, not dreag strips.

Don't appreciate this car becuase of it's looks, 100-200mph acceleration, lack of interior appointments, but because the car is ridiculously f&cking fast and cheap as hell. If you are the kind of person that NEEDS to be seen and comforted by 911/599 luxury, this is simply NOT the car for you and will NEVER compare..that is why it's cheap (duh?!?!)! Buy one because the next time YOU do a track event at your local spot in Europe, you will be the fastest if not ONE of the fastest guys out there wit a stock car. Hey if your rich and can afford an F430...buy it, what are you waiting for. But if you not rich and can only afford a Z06 and want to go as fast or faster than everyone else...BUY IT!

stock 01Z06 (385hp) vs. 550M (495)hp (Watkins Glen)

http://home.comcast.net/~g5x3z06/Pass.mpg

Quote:
    turbolite said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

And to you latter point I might add: it will be much easier for Porsche to deliver a particularly well going 997tt for any test than for the Vette to be specially prepared. the 997 tt just needs a little bit more pressure on the turbos and there come some surprise hps... not sure they'd do it, but since mercedes delivered a sl55 with an slr engine for a test to AMS i guess nothing's impossible..

I never heard of the SLR engine in the SL55.

Why this scepticism about Porsche?Just because they clock very fast lap times in Japan,Italy(!!),Britain or Germany doesn't mean they cheat.The example of Japan is interesting because the Porsches that are tested are from people who bought the car.Not from a PR fleet.

Sometimes it sounds like GM is the most honest manufacturer in the world.When they claim Nurburgring lap times without any proof,it must be true.Period.
    But when an independant magazine,which is probably the most respected in Europe,clocks good lap times with Porsches,it's because Porsche "cheated"...but then some people close their eyes when other manufacturers clock good lap times because that would contradict their "conspirancy theory".
    Really pathetic.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    I really can't beleive the close mindedness on this forum. Maybe I am a regular guy on a rich man's forum, but I have read numerous posts about Corvette owners and how ridiculous they are. That 402 meters is not what it's all about, and acceleration is such a small part of the equation. You claim that driving experience is everything,...then I read post after post about 0-100, 100-200, 80 -120 accerleration, and who is faster by .001 seconds. So, what this means is that you all DO CARE...VERY MUCH!

I thought the regular Corvette guys were ridiculous with this sh&t, but you guys take the cake! You literally talk about the same crap, but just stand behind a different badge. You guys are just as biased as a "typical" Corvette owner, if not much worse. I really expected some more openmindedness and intelligence on this forum.

I am not what one would call a "typical" Corvette owner. I have been road racing cars for years and have been to a drag stip once and could care less. I subsribe to Sports Car International, EVO, and Top Gear, not Motor Trend. I choose a Corvette, becuase at the track (for the money..yes), it was the FASTEST car in the paddock. I know there aren't many in Europe for you guys to see first hand, but I'm telling you they are cleaning house very fast at road courses, not dreag strips.

Don't appreciate this car becuase of it's looks, 100-200mph acceleration, lack of interior appointments, but because the car is ridiculously f&cking fast and cheap as hell. If you are the kind of person that NEEDS to be seen and comforted by 911/599 luxury, this is simply NOT the car for you and will NEVER compare..that is why it's cheap (duh?!?!)! Buy one because the next time YOU do a track event at your local spot in Europe, you will be the fastest if not ONE of the fastest guys out there wit a stock car. Hey if your rich and can afford an F430...buy it, what are you waiting for. But if you not rich and can only afford a Z06 and want to go as fast or faster than everyone else...BUY IT!

stock 01Z06 (385hp) vs. 550M (495)hp (Watkins Glen)

http://home.comcast.net/~g5x3z06/Pass.mpg

I think noone on this forum has something against a Corvette per se. Personally I've owned three Porsches and now drive a 996tt, which I love. Still I very much appreciate that Corvette has come up with the z06 and look at it closely. I couldnt care less about the image; if kind of serious people like me would drive this car it could only help.
    The real trouble is that until now most american cars were great on paper and sometimes on a drag strip, but NOWHERE close to the driving dynamics of the Porsches or Ferraris of this world. The American car producer have created this problem all by themselves by constantly overpromising and underdelivering. That cost them the reputation built by the GT40s and Shelbys in the 60s. So now the ONLY way how to come out of this hole is to deliver good results judgded by european standards, cause that's what we care about. Corvette has started doing a good job with the Le Mans wins, so now lets see how this tranlates into the street sportscars. the basic corvette tested by sportauto wasnt bad, but certainly not up there, so the z06 is their last shot. and maybe this time they got it right, so lets wait and see...

Quote:
    Gary(SF) said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    HP wins races, especially with a high redline. This allows low and close gearing. Gearing acts as a torque multiplier, so a well geared high-hp motor can put plenty of torque to the road. A high torque low-rev motor isn't going to win any races except for Monster Trucks...

I agree.

Gary

Then, how do you gents explain Audi's plan to win Le Mans with a lower revving, higher torque DIESEL engine?

I think noone on this forum has something against a Corvette per se. Personally I've owned three Porsches and now drive a 996tt, which I love. Still I very much appreciate that Corvette has come up with the z06 and look at it closely. I couldnt care less about the image; if kind of serious people like me would drive this car it could only help.
    The real trouble is that until now most american cars were great on paper and sometimes on a drag strip, but NOWHERE close to the driving dynamics of the Porsches or Ferraris of this world. The American car producer have created this problem all by themselves by constantly overpromising and underdelivering. That cost them the reputation built by the GT40s and Shelbys in the 60s. So now the ONLY way how to come out of this hole is to deliver good results judgded by european standards, cause that's what we care about. Corvette has started doing a good job with the Le Mans wins, so now lets see how this tranlates into the street sportscars. the basic corvette tested by sportauto wasnt bad, but certainly not up there, so the z06 is their last shot. and maybe this time they got it right, so lets wait and see...

I agree 100% about American cars, but you have to understand they were appealing to a different market. If GM made a gourgeous sports car that had dynamic balance, superb braking, and good HP, 10-20 years ago, it would be expensive and would never sell. But, I can tell you that the simple and fast Mustang probably outsold 911's 1000 to 1 or more over the past 20 years. It's about making money and not art, something from a cultural perspective may be the opposite in Europe. It's not that GM/FORD/CHRYSLER are dumb or can't engineer someting world class (Cobra, Viper, GT-40, Z06) it's just not what the "typical" American wants to buy. It's a cultural difference. Drag strips are as common as country roads over here and people love CHEAP HP. Our roads were built wide and strait, so stoplight racing is where their heads have been for years. Also gas is cheap and that had more to do with it than anything else.

But, the one thing I do enjoy about American inginuity, is cheap performance. If it were up to the Europens to build all of our cars...98% of us would be driving tiny little hatchbacks with 85hp, while the other 2% would have all the fun.

Quote:
    turbolite said:
    Jim, are you sure about that Michelin tyre info? and would you know when they'd be available? thanks!

The Michelins should be available now. They announced last November that they would start to make them. The fronts are the same size as a Ferrari model (I forgot wich one). So its the special rear size that Michelin had to put into production.

Quote:
    95jersey said:

I agree 100% about American cars, but you have to understand they were appealing to a different market. If GM made a gourgeous sports car that had dynamic balance, superb braking, and good HP, 10-20 years ago, it would be expensive and would never sell. But, I can tell you that the simple and fast Mustang probably outsold 911's 1000 to 1 or more over the past 20 years. It's about making money and not art, something from a cultural perspective may be the opposite in Europe. It's not that GM/FORD/CHRYSLER are dumb or can't engineer someting world class (Cobra, Viper, GT-40, Z06) it's just not what the "typical" American wants to buy. It's a cultural difference. Drag strips are as common as country roads over here and people love CHEAP HP. Our roads were built wide and strait, so stoplight racing is where their heads have been for years. Also gas is cheap and that had more to do with it than anything else.

But, the one thing I do enjoy about American inginuity, is cheap performance. If it were up to the Europens to build all of our cars...98% of us would be driving tiny little hatchbacks with 85hp, while the other 2% would have all the fun.

If it's about making money then Porsche has Ford and GM beat to a pulp.
    What you're talking about is just volume sales... when done right with good products one can actually make money. (see Toyota)

Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Where you got those figures from is beyond me. I can show you 3 publications that hve the Z06 hitting 0-60 in 3.4 seconds, and at least a half dozen more that show 0-60 in 3.6 to 3.8. And as far as your bet on the ring goes, if they test a stock 997TT with stock tires against a stock Z06, I will bet you the house, the farm or anything else that the Z will smoke the TT. Remember, I own a Z06 and also drive my buddys 2005 996TT 6 speed quite often. The Z just smokes the TT in every competition. And remember this: the new Z06 is based almost completely on the C6R which is destroying all competition on the track its first year out of the box!!! Still want to bet?????

How many factory cars has Chevrolet beaten?FYI Ferraris and Aston Martins are from Prodrive.If GM really is that good in motorsports why isn't Chevrolet competing in the prototype classes?

And yeah, if you think that, than you are an [censored]! The Z06 is dynoing at close to 550hp, (NOT 505),500 fp of torque, weighs 300 pounds less that the 997TT, and the handling is bread from the C6R. The Z, as said in many articles, is truly a race car for the street! So, with that in mind, why would the 997TT beat the Z by 10 seconds??? Face it...your all mighty Turbo Porsche has more than met its match!!!

Is there data to prove that the ZO6 produces 45 more h.p. And, is that an estimated number or actual, at the crankshaft, h.p.? I'm not refuting your claim, just curious.

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

And yeah, if you think that, than you are an [censored]! The Z06 is dynoing at close to 550hp, (NOT 505),500 fp of torque, weighs 300 pounds less that the 997TT, and the handling is bread from the C6R. The Z, as said in many articles, is truly a race car for the street! So, with that in mind, why would the 997TT beat the Z by 10 seconds??? Face it...your all mighty Turbo Porsche has more than met its match!!!

Please, don't call our members names. You just presene yourself as an immature jerk, who is trying to play with the big boys, by behaving this way.
    You can scream from the top of your lungs about the Z06 being race-bred, having 550 HP and so on, but as things stand right now, the baby brothers of the C6Z and the 997TT have posted times of 8:17 and 8:05 in favor of Porsche.
    Until we see confirmed times of both cars, we'll just have to go by the currently available data. Not saying that the Z can't be faster, but as things stand right now, you don't have much to brag about in the way of Nurburgring times.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

Please, don't call our members names. You just presene yourself as an immature jerk, who is trying to play with the big boys, by behaving this way.
    You can scream from the top of your lungs about the Z06 being race-bred, having 550 HP and so on, but as things stand right now, the baby brothers of the C6Z and the 997TT have posted times of 8:17 and 8:05 in favor of Porsche.
    Until we see confirmed times of both cars, we'll just have to go by the currently available data. Not saying that the Z can't be faster, but as things stand right now, you don't have much to brag about in the way of Nurburgring times.

The 8:05 is the time of the 997s - not 997TT (at least I hope so )

where did you get those times...all wrong.

http://www.baileymotorsports.com/nurburgring.html

Also, yes base C6z06 have Dyno'd at 440rwhp with a standard 20% drivetrain loss that is 536.4

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1320721&forum_id=100

Here is some more info about the Z06R, set to debut in Europe this spring

http://www.corvette-performance-training.com/eng/motorsport_Z06_photos.htm

race schedule

http://www.callawaycars.com/callaway/mai...06.RGT3Cars.htm

Great to know that the 997S can show C6Z the 'way'

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

You know,Porsche could have said that the 997 Turbo is a compilation of the best things that made them win 16 times in Le Mans(overall wins of course,not class wins ).To finish,they claim a lap time of 7:35 and you have a publicity campaign a la GM.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    where did you get those times...all wrong.

http://www.baileymotorsports.com/nurburgring.html

Also, yes base C6z06 have Dyno'd at 440rwhp with a standard 20% drivetrain loss that is 536.4

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1320721&forum_id=100

Here is some more info about the Z06R, set to debut in Europe this spring

http://www.corvette-performance-training.com/eng/motorsport_Z06_photos.htm

race schedule

http://www.callawaycars.com/callaway/mai...06.RGT3Cars.htm

Before you hear it from everyone else I'll tell you what they will...

Unless the car was independently tested by a non-GM source, the claimed time is bogus. In other words... a German driver is going to have to drive it for Sport Auto magazine and then people may actually believe the time.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

The 8:05 is the time of the 997s - not 997TT (at least I hope so )

Crash wrote:"...the baby brothers of the C6Z and the 997TT have posted times of 8:17 and 8:05 in favor of Porsche."

Corvette C6(not Z06!!) times achived by german Sport Auto mag Supertest August 2005:
    Hockenheim 1.14,8min
    Nordschleife 8.15min
    Driver was of course Horst von Saurma and tires were stock.
    Comparison Porsche 997S:
    997S(PASM) Hockenheim 1.15,6min
    997S(-20mm/LSD,PCCB) Hockenheim 1.14,3min
    Nordschleife 8.05min
    997S(X51,-20mm/LSD,PCCB) Hockenheim 1.13,7min
    All 997S were with stock Michelin tires.
    Rumor: There will be Corvette Z06 Supertest in Sport Auto till end of summer(before 997 Turbo Supertest)...

You know,Porsche could have said that the 997 Turbo is a compilation of the best things that made them win 16 times in Le Mans(overall wins of course,not class wins ).

Because they can't! The 911 TT did not nearly have such a sucessful race career. Prototype...yes, GT3...yes, not so with the former GT2 or now GT1 class. For example, since 1998 it has been American cars...Oreca Viper, then C5R, the C6R.

What is it they say, about the 911 "bad engineering desinged to perfection"

Also regarding the times...it was Jan Magnussen who pulled it off?

Actually, what I am most proud of, is that the C5Z06 did it in 7:52. What an amazing accomplishment for a $48k car. Did you see the list of $200+ exotics following behind. Simply spectacular...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803050 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448507 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266032 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90024 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6508 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885581 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833045 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM