Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Why does Porsche restrict the venue of their car

test drives? For an example we know that the CGT was restricted to an airfield.

With the 997 TT, they allow Karcher of Car magazine which fawns over Porsche almost as much as Sport Auto, test drive the car only on snow and ice. There is no way he could give a realistic appraisal as to what the car can do or its handling characteristic's.

Why is that?

Re: Why does Porsche restrict the venue of their car

Quote:
    nberry said:

With the 997 TT, they allow Karcher of Car magazine which fawns over Porsche almost as much as Sport Auto, test drive the car only on snow and ice. There is no way he could give a realistic appraisal as to what the car can do or its handling characteristic's.

Why is that?

Probably for the "Oh my God, look how easily this thing drives in the snow! Imagine how good it must be in the dry! Everybody go and order one!" factor. And it just looks plain cool

We`ll soon find out...

It's a little early to be really looking for comprehensive tests by third parties. The car is only today beginning its official car show unveiling. The road tests etc. will come soon.

Quote:
    amjf088 said:
    It's a little early to be really looking for comprehensive tests by third parties. The car is only today beginning its official car show unveiling. The road tests etc. will come soon.

Exactly.

No true "independent" testdrives until the car is officially released "into the wild."

Quote:
    nberry said:

Why is that?

Nick,
    as we all know it it is the winter time in Europe forget about San Diego and Texas that is always sunny.

So since the turbo happened to be ready in the winter time the only options magazines / Media had was driving it in the snow. I have no doubt in my mind that we'll see the 997 turbo will shine in the dry and sunny weather too .

I run a Product Management Group(Not at Porsche). We call this Rolling Thunder. First you release something about the new Technology(VTG). Then you give the trades a review that you control (Snow) that limits testing at the edge. Then you announce the product at a trade show, to maximize the broad articles. Then you have a limited set of launch cars to a controlled group. Then you release to the public. It allows you to generate the most press and to control it as well as make sure the first cars work as expected and if they don't you have a limited set of devoted customers who will work through the problems with you. Its somewhat frustrating to the devoted like us. However its a good way to release a new product.

Quote:
    997CarreraS said:
    I run a Product Management Group(Not at Porsche). We call this Rolling Thunder. First you release something about the new Technology(VTG). Then you give the trades a review that you control (Snow) that limits testing at the edge. Then you announce the product at a trade show, to maximize the broad articles. Then you have a limited set of launch cars to a controlled group. Then you release to the public. It allows you to generate the most press and to control it as well as make sure the first cars work as expected and if they don't you have a limited set of devoted customers who will work through the problems with you. Its somewhat frustrating to the devoted like us. However its a good way to release a new product.

in other words, using the most hardcore 'core' audience/fans as test subjects for a potentially flawed product?... note: PCCB Generation 1.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Why is that?

Well, Nick...not having snow and ice during winter time in San Diego doesn't necessarily mean that there is no snow and ice during winter time in Scandinavia.
    The ONLY place Porsche allowed journalists to "testdrive" the 997 Turbo was during final winter testing.
    But I'm sure that if you ask nicely, they may ship a 997 Turbo prototype to California just for you to testdrive it.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Why is that?

Well, Nick...not having snow and ice during winter time in San Diego doesn't necessarily mean that there is no snow and ice during winter time in Scandinavia.
    The ONLY place Porsche allowed journalists to "testdrive" the 997 Turbo was during final winter testing.
    But I'm sure that if you ask nicely, they may ship a 997 Turbo prototype to California just for you to testdrive it.

I am sure they have been here. They always test their cars in Death Valley at some point.

Quote:
    997CarreraS said:

Thank you for the information. I still find it puzzling restricting test driving a powerful sport car to the snow and ice. I am certain they could allowed the test in an environment more conducive to perf.

Is it possible it has some handling problems and the snow and ice masked them? Just wondering.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Is it possible it has some handling problems and the snow and ice masked them? Just wondering.

Does Ferrari even do snow and ice testing????

I suspect that post Geneva we will see some true tests. They may have already been written and are in a press embargo until the official announcement this week. I think we all want to see the true numbers. In particular some hard core testing of Tip vs Manual.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

doubtful, the drivers dont want to get snow on those pretty little Italian leather shoes of theirs

Quote:
    nberry said:

Thats comment is just too funny and twisted at the same time... keep on dreaming nick.

Nick, in your cavalcade of Porsche conspiracies, you should ask yourself why o why did Porsche allow many journalists to drive preproduction Caymans in South Africa.

Was it a German propaganda move to influence Namibia? or Could it have been because of the products development schedule and gasp, the calender!

Porsche does a better job at the new product strip tease PR game then Ferrari, who appear to act more on insecurity and spite - witness their sudden and unplanned release of new GTB info timed to distract PR attention away from Lamborginis new Miura.

Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

doubtful, the drivers dont want to get snow on those pretty little Italian leather shoes of theirs

Is it me or do you always knock anything non F-car?

Quote:
    devo said:

He specializes in bashing Porsche, not just any non-F-car.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    devo said:

Nick is just looking out for you the Porschephile consumers. He just wants you to have the absolute best Porsche can offer.

Quote:
    W8MM said:

Mike, Nick reminds me of a good friend.
    Two years ago, he met one of my wife's girl friends for the first time. This woman was married at that time, a beautiful blonde with some very nice shapes, absolutely gorgeous. Even my wife mentioned to me how beautiful and sexy this woman is and she always dresses in some tight and short skirks, shirts, etc.. And she is styled perfectly, perfect make-up, perfect hair, very good looking person.
    My good friend (the man), not looking bad either, met her several times and always told us how "cheap" this beautiful woman looks, how slutty her dressing style is and how tasteless the excessive make-up and the too blonde hair is. He was always talking very bad about her, even questioning her intelligence (this woman is a physician by the way ), her education and so on. Due to some very unfortunate events, this woman and her husband seperated a few weeks ago because he was always traveling for business and apparently found somebody else, 12 years younger.
    Well, since this beautiful woman is free again, my good friend (the man) started hitting on her every time we meet all together. It is already pathetic.
    Yesterday I asked him why he hits on her if he doesn't like her style and her looks. His answer was: "I felt threatened by this beautiful angel, this is why I always said something bad about her because she wasn't mine."

Even now I don't understand what he means, maybe he is a case for a good psychiatrist. But his story somehow remembered me of Nick's behaviour and I began to wonder: maybe this is some sort of hidden Porsche love deep inside Nick's body. And he just doesn't want to admit it.

I think some of Nicks comments are amusing, I truely believe he is a Pcar lover in the closet.?.?.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:

Mike, Nick reminds me of a good friend.
    Two years ago, he met one of my wife's girl friends for the first time. This woman was married at that time, a beautiful blonde with some very nice shapes, absolutely gorgeous. Even my wife mentioned to me how beautiful and sexy this woman is and she always dresses in some tight and short skirks, shirts, etc.. And she is styled perfectly, perfect make-up, perfect hair, very good looking person.
    My good friend (the man), not looking bad either, met her several times and always told us how "cheap" this beautiful woman looks, how slutty her dressing style is and how tasteless the excessive make-up and the too blonde hair is. He was always talking very bad about her, even questioning her intelligence (this woman is a physician by the way ), her education and so on. Due to some very unfortunate events, this woman and her husband seperated a few weeks ago because he was always traveling for business and apparently found somebody else, 12 years younger.
    Well, since this beautiful woman is free again, my good friend (the man) started hitting on her every time we meet all together. It is already pathetic.
    Yesterday I asked him why he hits on her if he doesn't like her style and her looks. His answer was: "I felt threatened by this beautiful angel, this is why I always said something bad about her because she wasn't mine."

Even now I don't understand what he means, maybe he is a case for a good psychiatrist. But his story somehow remembered me of Nick's behaviour and I began to wonder: maybe this is some sort of hidden Porsche love deep inside Nick's body. And he just doesn't want to admit it.

Hence, my previous post..

JMShrink I am not sure which post you are referring to?

Vtrader it the nail on the head. I am past the Porsche fawning and brainwashing. I am taking a stand to try and improve the company actions with respect to its customer base. if there ever was a company that took its customers for granted (and up to now very successfully) it is Porsche.

I am reminded of a French proverb "plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose"-- the more it changes, the more it is the same thing. Change is an illusion with Porsche. The proverb should be their corporate motto.

RC regarding your wife's friend, if she is ever in La Jolla have her pay me a visit. Her stay will be enjoyable, rewarding and possible beneficial for her future relationships ( I am happily married but there are plenty of eligible bachelors).

BTW I am often asked by my Porsche dealership what type of Porsche would I buy. My answer is always the same. Midengine, not a look alike model with the entire model range which has a F1 tranny, limited production, manageable power and priced in the $200,000 to 250,000 range. The CGT is close but overpriced, manual and primarily a racing track car. In my view, its street use is problematic.

Quote:
    rhino said:
    I truely believe he is a Pcar lover in the closet.?.?.

I think so too. Otherwise he would not be hanging in a P-Forum.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761178 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434637 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260132 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257280 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80819 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871528 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806764 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM