Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

RMS Issue - does Porsche finally agree?

It appears that Porsche finally acknowledged a possible "issue" with RMS leaks on 996/997 models before 2005. Therefore, Porsche seems to want to re-consider some older decisions where owners without warranty had to pay their RMS repairs all by themselves.

Affected owners should definetely talk to their dealers again and dealers should contact Porsche regarding this matter.

This info isn't something 100% sure but it may be worth a try.
    So if you had a RMS leaking issue in the past and your warranty expired before that and you had to pay for repairs, talk again to your dealer about this and ask him to contact Porsche. You may get some money back.

We don't assume any responsibility for this "rumor", it may be true, it may not. But since it came from a reliable source, it is worth a try. It may vary from country to country but we heard that Porsche is aware of the RMS leaks and they want to handle all matters as customer-friendly as possible. Give it a try, you don't have anything to loose.

Re: RMS Issue - does Porsche finally agree?

Quote:
    RC said:
    It appears that Porsche finally acknowledged a possible "issue" with RMS leaks on 996/997 models before 2005. Therefore, Porsche seems to want to re-consider some older decisions where owners without warranty had to pay their RMS repairs all by themselves....

I am surprised that they has not been a class-action against Porsche on this matter. This is a very obvious defect. You will be suprised how many class action settlements I receive in the mail every month for trivial items.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    It appears that Porsche finally acknowledged a possible "issue" with RMS leaks on 996/997 models before 2005. Therefore, Porsche seems to want to re-consider some older decisions where owners without warranty had to pay their RMS repairs all by themselves....

I am surprised that they has not been a class-action against Porsche on this matter. This is a very obvious defect. You will be suprised how many class action settlements I receive in the mail every month for trivial items.

I suspect the reason we haven't seen class-actions on RMS in the U.S. is that in every case I've heard of Porsche has covered the repair.

This is very important news RC, thanks! You da man!

That is good news, though I think it would have been much better if they acknowledged it earlier.

Quote:
    RC said:
    It appears that Porsche finally acknowledged a possible "issue" with RMS leaks on 996/997 models before 2005. Therefore, Porsche seems to want to re-consider some older decisions where owners without warranty had to pay their RMS repairs all by themselves.

Affected owners should definetely talk to their dealers again and dealers should contact Porsche regarding this matter.

This info isn't something 100% sure but it may be worth a try.
    So if you had a RMS leaking issue in the past and your warranty expired before that and you had to pay for repairs, talk again to your dealer about this and ask him to contact Porsche. You may get some money back.

We don't assume any responsibility for this "rumor", it may be true, it may not. But since it came from a reliable source, it is worth a try. It may vary from country to country but we heard that Porsche is aware of the RMS leaks and they want to handle all matters as customer-friendly as possible. Give it a try, you don't have anything to loose.

Only after 9 years of RMS problems they recognise there is a problem
    Shame on you Porsche, maybe within 9 years from now, they will start to think on paying to their costumers all the blown engines and broken gearbox the Boxster and 996 series had since 1996/97.

J.Seven

I do not know of any blown engines (mostly due to the early casting defects) that were not replaced under warranty.

Quote:
    amjf088 said:
    I do not know of any blown engines (mostly due to the early casting defects) that were not replaced under warranty.

Early casting problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Do you consider a blown out 2003 3.6L engine, an early engine
    Here's an example

Quote:
    amjf088 said:

Just make a search for used 996 Carrera on mobile.de and the amount of 996 Carrera for sale running with a second engines and gearbox problems are pathetic.

Few exapmles from today search
    Broken gearbox
    http://www.mobile.de/SIDPLSdeWQ1E0iRaIw5...1200393080&

Another broken gearbox:
    http://www.mobile.de/SIDPLSdeWQ1E0iRaIw5...1200023348&

One of the thousands broken engines:
    http://www.mobile.de/SIDN..h0aQK1B3feMqt...1200690554&

If you prefer just make a search on Yahoo or google for broken 996 engine, and you will have some hours of interesting reading

Well, here's some more blown engines
    http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=205310

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=204183

I and three more friends of mine , one with Boxster S and the other two with 996 Carrera, All had our engins blown

J.Seven

MOST people I know with modern Porsches have not had problems. True there are some. You and your three friends have had bad luck. So you also managed to pull up some stories from Mobile.de and and Rennlist. Maybe you should try to do this with other cars. You'd be surprised. If I listened to the internet hype then I should easily be on my third gearbox in my WRX by now.

There is good, there is bad. For example, JD Power has the 911 (996 model) right at the very top (with Lexus) in three year dependablility rankings and Porsche customer satisfaction rankings (from Consumer Reports) are extremely high. Does this mean that there are not others who have had crappy experiences like yourself? Of course not, and I would be pissed in your situation. But the internet always presents a very skewed picture of these things. Of the many tens and thousands of 996/986 cars out there, you will not hear the "stories" for all the ones that don't actually have problems. And if my PCA region is any indication, then there are many that are more fortunate than yourself.

I think we can argue this all day, and I won't add any more. No need to search for my benefit, I am quite capable. If there was some real hard quantifiable (impartial data) available, that would be one thing, but anecdotal internet searching is not of much value.

From my perspective they are not all bad and Porsche has generally been good about warranty work.

I hope you have better experiences in the future. After what you have been through I would not blame you if you chose a different car.

I wonder if some of this is due to the recent article in Auto Motor und Sport?

dan

Re: all the comments about lawsuits...

didn't someone try to put together a class action for RMS a year or so ago,

he even solicited people here on rennteam.

it kind of disapeared...

Quote:
    Dan L said:

dan

What article? I guess i 've missed something

What article. I guess i 've missed something

Quote:
    zoltan said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:

dan

What article? I guess i 've missed something

What article. I guess i 've missed something

I think he meant this article from Auto Bild

I know 3 ppl personally who had their engines blown here in the UK. 2 had 996 Carreras and one had a 986 Boxster. All 3 of them were out of warranty and they had to pick up the Pounds10k+ bill themselves. I assume if their cars were still under warranty Porsche would have given them replacement engines - either way Porsche should have been more open about this issue with customers.

And what do you think about this?

http://www.autofarm.co.uk/new.php3/Total911_July06.pdf

If Autofarm makes it better, I can't understand why Porsche continue to make the same kind of engine, while there is another type of secure bores...

Any German speakers out there want to give us the general gist of what that Auto Bild article is saying?

The whole RMS issue is so complex it's certainly far from being black and white. At Flat 6 magazine we've looked at this several times and have never been able to get a definitive take on the problem. Some dealers we questionned pointed out that oil leaks were also the norm with the older air cooled engines, but noone made such a fuss. Others said that nowadays manufacturers tend to change complete assemblies rather than individual parts and that would explain the number of engine replacements for the newer water cooled generations.

It certainly seems that the 996 is a generally reliable car and that most owners have not had a problem (touch wood, but I'm now on my fourth water cooler (counting the 986S which is the same engine base) and I've not experienced any serious reliability issues)...

But there's also clearly an RMS problem somewhere.

I guess this debate will continue for a long time. I hear that 997s have also been known to have RMS issues...

It's important to make a distinction between RMS (rear main seal) oil leak issues, which has generally been cured with the latest generation of seals and the "bad casting" and "crankshaft" problems which caused real engine failures with the early 3.4 engines.
    Of course, engines do fail from things that are not actual "flaws" with the engine, such as overreving, running without oil (as one mechanic told me after a customer came down hard on a speed bump in a 996 and cracked the bottom of the engine, allowing all the oil to leak out), etc.

Hi there - I just purchased an 03 carrera - Cab. Just reviewed it with princeton porsche mechanic. He gave me a laundry list of things to fix - One of them was "Large Leak coming from the bell housing area (Possible RMS/Inter Shaft)" - Your post says that Porsche has acnowledged this? The service dealer claims it would cost $1750 to fix it -- It is a 2 day labor work --

Unfortunately it is out of warranty (but only 23k miles on it)

Who and how do I contact Porsche or someone -- It would be helpful if I could get some of the money back. Thanks a bunch

TL

"Blown" engine is a very broad term....it could be the early 996/986 replacement cylinder liner failure, it could be driver error, such as a missed shift causing a severe mechanical over-rev, it could be an internal failure due to loss of oil pressure...I've even heard of a situation where a driver hit a speed bump so hard in a 996, that as the rear of the car came down the bottom of the engine hit the bump so hard it cracked the crankcase and the oil leaked out and the driver continued to drive the car until it failed.

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    "Blown" engine is a very broad term....it could be the early 996/986 replacement cylinder liner failure,

I just recently heard of this "cylinder liner failure". Can someone provide me more information about what this failure is, what are the consequences, what model/years are affected and whether Porsche will fix out of warranty?

Thanks!!!

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    964C2 said:
    "Blown" engine is a very broad term....it could be the early 996/986 replacement cylinder liner failure,

I just recently heard of this "cylinder liner failure". Can someone provide me more information about what this failure is, what are the consequences, what model/years are affected and whether Porsche will fix out of warranty?

Thanks!!!

Grant,
    Here's some info on the problem http://www.autofarm.co.uk/engines/water_cooled/silsleeve_tech My understanding is that it occured only in the first couple of years.....

Thanks!

I have a friend wih a MY00 3.4 Cabriolet - he's on his 9th RMS - the first 3 or 4 were done under warranty, since then he picked up the bill himself. Its a record i believe !

We thought it quite neat when he had 5 used seals - the Olympic rings we nicknamed them. Not so funny when you well on your way to a winter Olympic set too . He's had all versions of the seal, right up to and including the latest design (based on Cayenne) - that failed too !!

He is now using a race verion of the RMS seal, but fitted back to front. so far, so good (6 months).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762149 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435206 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260436 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257494 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80918 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872065 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807460 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM