Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

"Spectacular Crash in Malibu"

Anyone knows the details of a Ferrari crash this morning in Malibu? One traffic report stated that "police estimated it was going 200mph when it crashed" and "hit a telephone pole and was cut in half" and "police arrested the two individuals who only substained cut lips from the airbags".

Re: "Spectacular Crash in Malibu"

Here is a link to the L.A. Times article...

crashed Enzo

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Anyone knows the details of a Ferrari crash this morning in Malibu? One traffic report stated that "police estimated it was going 200mph when it crashed" and "hit a telephone pole and was cut in half" and "police arrested the two individuals who only substained cut lips from the airbags".

It made even to german newspapers...apparently a Swedish citizen in his Enzo Ferrari lost control at around 200 kph (not mph according to two german newspapers but maybe they got it wrong) and crashed the car. They also said something about racing another car but I just looked over the article very fast and didn't really care about the details.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    vtrader said:

It made even to german newspapers...apparently a Swedish citizen in his Enzo Ferrari lost control at around 200 kph (not mph according to two german newspapers but maybe they got it wrong) and crashed the car. They also said something about racing another car but I just looked over the article very fast and didn't really care about the details.

Supposedly he was racing an SLR. And allegedly the "driver" (the owner claims to have been a passenger) ran away from the scene. His name was "Dietric" and he was a german citizen

Here's an L.A. Times article that talks about this [censored]'s background...

...I'm a Swedish Meatball

I can't believe he raced at Le Mans last year!

http://motorsport.com/photos/lemans/2005/24h/lemans-2005-24h-th-0231.jpg

Quote:
    Fiorentina 1 said:
    I can't believe he raced at Le Mans last year!

http://motorsport.com/photos/lemans/2005/24h/lemans-2005-24h-th-0231.jpg

At first, neither could I. But after seeing your link plus the first two listed below...

http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/2005/ifc/092_pilote_02_gb.html
    http://www.motorsport.com/photos/popup.a...NS&S=LEMANS

Source: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94578&page=18

...I believe he is an ex-Le Mans Porsche/Ferrari driver who decided to trust the Enzo's active aero features on a less than flat road.

Assuming he was the one driving, one second he is sucked to the ground at 160+ MPH reliving his Le Mans days under a gentle alcoholic stupor. Next, he crests a hill, catches extra air, loses precious downforce and makes history.

By the way, I never knew the Enzo reduces downforce when you exceed 186 MPH. Does anyone know if, at 186, a gong sounds along with an activation of a speed limiter; subsequently, does the supercar warn you on its LCD display that the further you press that accelerator the more downforce you lose and you may use the steering wheel buttons to accept or decline the risk?

Sources:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=2476

http://www.supercars.net/cars/1934.html

What I find interesting is that this Enzo does not have the original wheels (and tires?) on it.

I wonder if that might have had an influence on the handling, or if his mysterious (and quite possibly imaginary) friend was just a bad driver....

Sory to ruin your moment of F bashing but the Enzo its not the only one who reduces downforce at top speed.

Quote:
    temm said:
    What I find interesting is that this Enzo does not have the original wheels (and tires?) on it.

I wonder if that might have had an influence on the handling, or if his mysterious (and quite possibly imaginary) friend was just a bad driver....

As I recall, there was one Enzo featured on Discovery Channel Rides program which came in for custom wheels.

Quote:
    rosso nuvola said:
    Sory to ruin your moment of F bashing but the Enzo its not the only one who reduces downforce at top speed.

Bashing? Moi? No, no, sir. I love the Enzo's active aero ....up to 186 mph. Would you feel confident pressing on to 217 knowing the downforce on your car is steadily declining?

Please elaborate on the others which share this feature.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    rosso nuvola said:

Bashing? Moi? No, no, sir. I love the Enzo's active aero ....up to 186 mph. Would you feel confident pressing on to 217 knowing the downforce on your car is steadily declining?

You are not supposed to take turns at these speeds(over 186) so, there is no need for more downforce.

Remember that even if the downforce declines, it's still a lot more than on the mcLaren f1 which cannot be described as an unstable car.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:

The Veyron, for one.

Gary

Quote:
    Lazy Cat said:
    You are not supposed to take turns at these speeds(over 186) so, there is no need for more downforce.

Alright, no turns, Lazy Cat. Just a straight, flat road. If there is no need for more downforce, there is definitely a need, in my humble opinion, to retain the amount achieved at 186 before pressing on to 200+. However, accelerating to 200+ should be determined by leftover engine power rather than having precious downforce slowly, surreptitiously robbed. The engine may have an easier time pushing the car well past 200 but the tactic of reducing downforce at the expense of aero safety without a proper warning to the driver and passenger seems ill-advised. Of course, for all we know, hopefully there is a warning in the owner's manual.

In stark contrast, a Veyron makes the effort to require the driver to come to a stop, then requests the car and tires be inspected while it switches to low-downforce mode in preparation for a top speed run. Clearly, this feature forces the driver to actually take a break, check safety and consider what is being asked of the car. The Veyron has set a good example for future supercars.

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    MAVERICK said:

The Veyron, for one.

Gary

Gary,

Unless I'm mistaken, when accelerating in normal mode to 230 MPH, the Veyron does not decrease downforce:

What's more, the acceleration doesn't slacken when you hit triple-digit speeds. In my first lap, I took the car up to about 185 mph, at which point the tire noise was fairly loud but the Veyron was otherwise calm and relaxed. One reason it felt so secure is that when you hit 137 mph, the Bugatti hunkers down, lowering its normal ride height of 4.9 inches to 3.1 in front and 3.7 in the rear. At the same time a small spoiler deploys from the rear bodywork and a wing extends about a foot, perched at a six-degree angle. Two underbody flaps ahead of the front tires also open up. This configuration produces substantial downforce, about 330 pounds in front and 440 in the rear at 230 mph.

Given that it only takes about 500 horsepower to overcome the prevailing drag at 185 mph, that leaves the 500 horses remaining for acceleration duty. So when you plant your right foot at 185, the Veyron's surge of power shoves you into the driver's seat about as hard as a Corvette's does at 100 mph, or a Ford Five Hundred's does at 40 mph. Accelerating from 185 to 230 on my next lap didn't take very long, and the car remained glued to the pavement, although wind roar overcame tire thrumming to become the predominant sound.

But 230 mph is about as fast as the Veyron will go until you put the car into top-speed mode.

Source:
    http://www.bugattipage.com/ride.htm

I also believe that the Veyron decreases downforce, even if this article doesn't mention it.

About that, in my mind, it's not that downforce decreases after 190 mph and reaches a dangerous level, i better think that downforce is increased to it's maximum level before 190mph in order to give the better grip possible.

It's not "Normal mode to low mode", but better "high grip mode to normal mode".

Anyway, the guy who crashed was in the highest mode and that didn't help him and after all, if somedy wants to drive over 190mph on a non flat or non perfect road, he must not think that 80kg of more downforce could help him.

I just found something different about the Enzo aerodynamics

"Also used are technologies not allowed in F1 such as active aerodynamics. After a maximum downforce of 1709 pounds is reached at 186 mph (301 km/h) the rear spoiler is actuated by computer to maintain that downforce." meaning that the spoiler is going down while accelerating over 190mph, but not the downforce.

from http://www.answers.com/topic/ferrari-enzo-ferrari

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:

By the way, I never knew the Enzo reduces downforce when you exceed 186 MPH. Does anyone know if, at 186, a gong sounds along with an activation of a speed limiter; subsequently, does the supercar warn you on its LCD display that the further you press that accelerator the more downforce you lose and you may use the steering wheel buttons to accept or decline the risk?

Guys, I don't really understand the point of this discussion. Yes the Enzo's downforce goes down from 775 kg at 300 kph to 585 kg at top speed, but 585 kg is still quite a lot of downforce (there are not many other cars out there with that much downforce at that speed), and it is not like the Enzo suddenly gets unstable when it goes beyond 300 kph. It reduces downforce simply because it wouldn't reach it's 218 mph top speed with 775 kg of downforce (too much drag).

Regarding the Veyron it has a special high-speed mode (you have to insert a high-speed key - very dramatic) in order for it to reach 250 mph. Don't know how much this reduces downforce but it is done to reduce drag. But it certainly has less downforce than in handling mode when the rear spoiler is fully deployed.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Quote:
    temm said:

As I recall, there was one Enzo featured on Discovery Channel Rides program which came in for custom wheels.

The one that came in to West Coast Customs?
    It got black wheels, see picture below.

And that's another thing I don't get. Blinging up your Escalade is one thing. But "messing" with a high-performance super car like the Enzo where every part (including the wheels) has been fine tuned to work in perfect union with each other is beyond me. Unless the wheels have exatly the same weight and balance it is bound to affect the car in some way.

But I guess that's not why cars like that are bought on the westcoast - BLING BLING!

Quote:
    temm said:
    Regarding the Veyron it has a special high-speed mode (you have to insert a high-speed key - very dramatic) in order for it to reach 250 mph. Don't know how much this reduces downforce but it is done to reduce drag. But it certainly has less downforce than in handling mode when the rear spoiler is fully deployed.

The only way to reduce drag is to reduce downforce, so, yes, the Veyron does reduce downforce to reach its top speed.

Gary

Quote:
    temm said:
    and it is not like the Enzo suddenly gets unstable when it goes beyond 300 kph.

I agree it's not sudden, temm, but it is a gradual loss of the added stability of downforce without sufficient warning to the driver.

Like many cars, the Enzo will indicate something is gradually changing on the car. For example, its LCD screen shows gradual changes in coolant temp., oil pressure, oil temp., fuel, and even lap time! I presume it will indicate the current damper setting and mode (race vs. normal). Similarly, the gauges show gradual changes in speed and rpm.

All that information given constantly to update the driver on important aspects of the supercar's dynamic status yet not even a pixel is reserved for gradual, significant decrease in downforce.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    temm said:
    and it is not like the Enzo suddenly gets unstable when it goes beyond 300 kph.

I agree it's not sudden, temm, but it is a gradual loss of the added stability of downforce without sufficient warning to the driver.

Like many cars, the Enzo will indicate something is gradually changing on the car. For example, its LCD screen shows gradual changes in coolant temp., oil pressure, oil temp., fuel, and even lap time! I presume it will indicate the current damper setting and mode (race vs. normal). Similarly, the gauges show gradual changes in speed and rpm.

All that information given constantly to update the driver on important aspects of the supercar's dynamic status yet not even a pixel is reserved for gradual, significant decrease in downforce.

Check the speedo...

These cars are not designed for inexperienced drivers knowing nothing about high speed driving, these are sports cars for real enthusiasts.

Quote:
    Lazy Cat said:
    Check the speedo...

These cars are not designed for inexperienced drivers knowing nothing about high speed driving, these are sports cars for real enthusiasts.

The speedo is a poor indicator of computer-controlled, variable downforce.

Assuming they want to make it back alive from a 200 MPH jaunt, even those who know something about high speed driving would want as much information as possible from the machine as well as the option of manually overriding the computer-controlled downforce especially when a driver does not wish to decrease downforce no matter what the car's programmers and marketers intended:

From the limited information given below, the driver-controlled downforce on the FXX appears to be a safer design for a driving enthusiast, experienced or not, with which one would be more comfortable manually using various levels of downforce instead of letting the computer program dictate:

Aerodynamic developments allow the FXX to deliver huge downforce allowing the car to carry its speed through the bends. With a moveable rear spoiler the FXX's 'Test Drivers' can select the best downforce setting for a specific circuit and monitor the changes via the telemetry system.

Source: http://cars.msn.co.uk/carnews/ferrarifxxjun05/Default.asp

The Plot Thickens

From this morning's Los Angeles Times:

The Plot Thickens in Ferrari Crash
    A gun's magazine found near the wreckage may be connected to the accident, and a Scottish bank says it might own the destroyed car.

"But in fact, Brooks said Monday, the car was traveling 162 mph when it crashed, far faster than the 120 mph originally believed. The Ferrari, with just a few inches of undercarriage clearance, hit a bump at a crest in the road, sending the vehicle airborne and into the power pole, Brooks said."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ferrari28feb28,0,3986184.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Re: The Plot Thickens

A mobster, drunk driving, spdeding 160+ in a 45 area, in a non-street legal car which is possibly on a bank repo .......

Re: The Plot Thickens

Quote:
    OCEAN said:

A mobster, drunk driving, spdeding 160+ in a 45 area, in a non-street legal car which is possibly on a bank repo .......

Yes, I agree, he should definitely get a warning

Re: And the Story Continues...

From this morning's Los Angeles Times:

A few minutes after the crash, two unidentified men arrived at the scene, flashing badges and saying they were from "homeland security," according to Sheriff's Department officials.

Deputies allowed the men into the accident scene, where they spoke to Stefan Eriksson before leaving, Sgt. Phil Brooks said.

Sheriff's officials on Thursday said they now want to question them.

"We would like the public's help with any information about these men or the crash," Brooks said.

For the full story:
    As sheriff's detectives investigate last week's crash that destroyed a $1-million Ferrari, they are now looking into an obscure nonprofit organization that provides disabled people with transit in the San Gabriel Valley.

The car's owner, a former video game executive from Sweden, told Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies at the scene of the Feb. 21 accident in Malibu that he was deputy commissioner of the San Gabriel Valley Transit Authority's police anti-terrorism unit, detectives said Thursday.

A few minutes after the crash, two unidentified men arrived at the scene, flashing badges and saying they were from "homeland security," according to Sheriff's Department officials.

Deputies allowed the men into the accident scene, where they spoke to Stefan Eriksson before leaving, Sgt. Phil Brooks said.

Sheriff's officials on Thursday said they now want to question them.

"We would like the public's help with any information about these men or the crash," Brooks said.

They are also looking into the transit organization to see what connection, if any, it has to the case. Brooks said detectives believe the two men from "homeland security" received their badges from the transit authority.

No one was injured when the rare Ferrari Enzo traveling 162 mph smashed into a power pole on Pacific Coast Highway. But the case continues to generate interest because the Ferrari is one of only 400 built, and detectives have struggled to understand what happened.

Eriksson told investigators he was a passenger in the Ferrari and that the driver was a man named Dietrich, who fled from the scene. But officials have been skeptical, noting that Eriksson had a bloody lip and the only blood found was on the driver's side airbag.

On Thursday, Brooks said detectives now doubt initial reports that the Ferrari was racing a Mercedes SLR. Detectives had interviewed a second man who said he was a passenger in a Mercedes SLR that he said was racing the Ferrari at the time.

"There was no Mercedes SLR," Brooks said. "Simply, there was a Ferrari with two people in it. One of these men was driving."

Just as murky is Eriksson's connection to the San Gabriel Valley Transit Authority.

The organization is a privately run nonprofit that has agreements with Monrovia and Sierra Madre to provide bus rides for disabled residents.

On its website, the San Gabriel Valley Transit Authority lists its address as 148 E. Lemon Ave. in Monrovia. The location is Homer's Auto Service, an auto repair shop.

A transit authority bus was parked in one of its driveways, but nothing on the storefront indicated it was a headquarters for the agency. Inside, a young woman, who declined to give her name, said she was a dispatcher for the transit authority. She telephoned someone she said was an agency official, who declined to be interviewed.

According to the website, the organization also has its own police department with a chief, detectives and marked police cruisers. Sheriff's investigators said Eriksson told deputies that he was deputy commissioner of the department's anti-terrorism unit.

But Monrovia Police Chief Roger Johnson said he found that the department is less than meets the eye.

"I don't know if they have a police department to go with the website," he said.

In a brief interview, transit authority board member Yosuf Maiwandi said Eriksson had helped the police department's anti-terrorism unit with camera technology for the paratransit vehicles.

Eriksson's civil attorney, Ashley Posner, is chairman of the transit authority board. Posner declined to comment; Eriksson's criminal attorney did not return calls seeking comment.

Officials in cities where the agency does business said they didn't know why a small transit authority needs a police department.

"We do not see the need for a ground transportation system for handicapped and disabled folks to have a police agency," Monrovia City Manager Scott Ochoa said. "We warned them that if the police agency operated with them in the city of Monrovia, it would jeopardize their [transit] agreement with us."

It remains unclear how Eriksson, who lives in a gated Bel-Air estate, came to work with the transit agency.

Alan Deal, spokesman for the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training, said he has never heard of the transit authority's police department. Most police agencies are part of the commission, which governs training standards for officers in the state.

But Deal said some specialized departments are not members, and there are provisions in state public utilities law that allow for transit police agencies to be run by private transit providers.

Sheriff's Sgt. Brooks said Eriksson voluntarily gave a DNA swab, which will be used to determine whether his blood was on the driver's side airbag.

Eriksson had a blood-alcohol level of 0.09% - just over the 0.08% limit - and could face drunk driving charges if he was the driver, Brooks said.

Another mystery is the Glock ammunition magazine found near the crash. Brooks said detectives believe it's connected to the crash but don't know how.

Re: And the Story Continues...

The guy is a gangster, obviously. In Sweden he's been in jail for fraud etc and is linked to something called the Uppsala mob. The gizmondo/Tiger telematics company was basically a way to fool investors into investing and buying the stock and then allocating most of the funds to the management (who most likely took profits on their stocks before all the law suits started to appear. Jordan F1 team was supposed to be sponsored by Gizmondo (there is a picture of Eddie Jordan and Ericsson (known apparently in Sweden as "Tjock-Steffe", translates to Fat-Steffe, short for Stefan) and they tried to sue gizmondo for not paying what's been agreed.

K

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753207 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430778 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258623 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255476 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79530 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868365 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801944 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM