Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Well it was only a matter of time. Pity those who will be

getting their CGT late 2005/2006.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3543

Re: Well it was only a matter of time. Pity those who will be

why's that? people have been happily paying 2.5 X and 3X the price of Z06s for their TTs and 360s respectively for years despite Z06 performance being on par with both cars.

Hi Nick,

Is Schadenfreude your specialty?

It might be a bit early for that.

Re: Well it was only a matter of time. Pity those who will b

Actually, its the other way around, I pity those who have to settle for something less than a Carrera GT, they both get you there at the same time but one is in econo-class the other in first-class

Hmnn if a car has more torque, faster times in 0-60; 0-100; about the same speed in the quarter mile with better brakes than another car which one is first class and which is econo-class?
    Or should we judge by the price of each car?

My specialty in accordance with my philosophy is "me-den agan" ( nothing in excess)

also something none of the also rans have been able to accomplish (the new special vette and enzo included) is an open top experience ala the CGT. as a 360 spider nut, i'm sure you would agree that is not an insignificant part of the experience you enjoy.

Quote:
    My specialty in accordance with my philosophy is "me-den agan" ( nothing in excess)

This from a 360 pilot!

Where's your Yugo?

Quote:
    Hmnn if a car has more torque, faster times in 0-60; 0-100; about the same speed in the quarter mile with better brakes than another car which one is first class and which is econo-class?
    Or should we judge by the price of each car?

No, econo is always cheaper than first class, and like I said they both may get there in the same time with equal straight-line acceleration figures, but the difference with first class is that it will provide a better driving experience, better balance, better handling, etc. otherwise I would have to pity those who bought a F360 instead of a ZO6 which will even lap the ring faster than a F360. What do you prefer?

Hey Nick, is this post purely your idea, or a little something you picked up from your friends 14 year old kids Because similar to that post, your not making a whole lot of sense. You live by "nothing in excess" though you own a Ferrari. I believe that would be the epitome of living "everything in excess". Don't get me wrong beautiful car, and the majority of us here own a Porsche or Ferrari, but we don't calim we live "nothing in excess". Anyway no hard feelings, just trying to understand where your coming from

Quote:

I can see that we are already in the second round, and I know this scorecard is late, but I have to rate this a knockdown! And in the first round! Where did you get this Mike? Word of the Day? Impressive.

Quote:
    Quote:

Where did you get this Mike? Word of the Day? Impressive.

I took German lessons on weekends for a few years. I was trying to improve my understanding enough to successfully read auto motor und sport.

Ben, right on!

Mike I am in the planning stages to purchase a Prius (we all must do our part; ahem at least my wife ) .

I understand the reasons for your confusion. The air in LA clouds the mind, impairs judgement and prevents clear thinking. Let me help you out.

Recognizing "excess" is a subjective term, there are things everyone would agree goes beyond the smell test of reasonable. Supercars fit into that category. Like a home which has 25000 square feet to house two people or hanging a $6000 shower curtain and so on.

A ferrari is a 400 hp sexy beautiful car which can perform on a public street almost to its abilities. The CGT, Enzo, Buggatti and others have power and capabilities which to be enjoyed need an airstrip outside of Berlin. They epitomize excess by any definition.

Carlos I buy my cars not to race on public streets and do not care one bit what their times are at the ring or go-kart track. I enjoy the feel, look, sound and exclusivity of a car. I find it hilarious how car owners scour the test times hoping their favorite car has good times at any track. Do you place a sign on the car which states it beat such and such or so and so?

Quote:

Carlos I buy my cars not to race on public streets and do not care one bit what their times are at the ring or go-kart track. I enjoy the feel, look, sound and exclusivity of a car. I find it hilarious how car owners scour the test times hoping their favorite car has good times at any track. Do you place a sign on the car which states it beat such and such or so and so?

Perfect Nick! You just proved my point then Now you understand why the fortunate CGT future owners bought the CGT, in your own words:
    "not to race on public streets and do not care one bit what their times are at the ring or go-kart track. I enjoy the feel, look, sound and exclusivity of a car"...
    I just couldn't of have said it better myself

So if you don't pity yourself because Chevy pulled a cheaper similarly street perfoming car than yours, then don't pity the CGT owners for Chevy pulling a cheaper similarly performing car either...

Quote:
    Perfect Nick! You just proved my point then

Carlos de la Mancha,

You must be trying out for the part of Don Quixote when you try to reason with Nick. It can't be done, my man! He's deeply conflicted over the meaning of "excess".

On one hand, he loves the finer things in life and likes to enjoy them up to his personal saturation point. On the other hand, he mocks anything exceeding his perfect view as repugnant or silly. What is he trying to tell us?

Maybe he doesn't want to run with the big dogs because he likes it on the porch?

seems you just proved Carlos's point.

I could understand your argument better IF you didn't defend your own ownership of the 360...
    The very same people that enjoy cars like the Enzo, CGT, etc... pretty much fall into the same defense you just described but at a higher level.

Why do you buy a pair of name brand jeans or shoes? A $30 pair will cover your @ss as well as a $250 pair but in the end it boils down to what the owner wants and/or can afford.

I'd hardly feel pity for that...

(Sigh) This all started with my phrase regarding excess. We all agree it is relatively subjective to a point. The meaning of excess according to Webster is "undue or immoderate indulgence" "going beyond an acceptable limit".

Supercars are just that.They fit the description perfectly. That is why they price them as they do. There is no way a Ferrari 360 would meet that description unless by some convoluted logic you use price as the sole criteria in labelling a product as something excessive. As I wrote earlier a Ferrari ability and limits can for the most part be reached on public streets. The CGT was tested on an airfield and even then most did not know what this car is capable of. Beyond acceptable limits.

Carlos I must be breathing some of the LA air because your point eludes me. I was responding to your point regarding a Z06 having a faster time on the track than a 360. What does that have to do with excess? The only thing my little brain could decipher from your note is buying a Ferrari is per se excessive. In which case nothing I write will matter to you.

Mike, I know I was inocently suckered into a lost cause. Oh well... to the giants!

Quote:
    Carlos I must be breathing some of the LA air because your point eludes me. I was responding to your point regarding a Z06 having a faster time on the track than a 360.

Nick, your own answer to my point was indeed the anwser to the initial point of your thread, I was trying to catch you in a contradiction. By re-stating the same dilema but using your own car choice you were able to answer yourself why you should not pity future CGT owner, since its the same reasoning that applies to why you rather buy a F360 than a cheaper faster Z06, yet, I see you still fail to translate the same logic to the CGT and the Blue Devil scenario based solely on the fact that its harder to explore the limits of a CGT than a F360 on the streets, which it is not only completely subjective and can't be generalised and must be judged depending on each of owner's circumstances, but if you read your own statement about the F360 again: "not to race on public streets and do not care one bit what their times are at the ring or go-kart track. I enjoy the feel, look, sound and exclusivity of a car " you will see that it is also irrelevant according to you

Nick,

LA air in the winter is actually very clean and clear!

Anyway thanks for the response, I think you may have bit off a little more than you meant and have started a pretty heated discussion! Its all good though, may the best semantics win!

As for me I don't have much else to say, just returned from Utah after a month of not driving the Boxster, and am looking for any excuse to go anywhere in it. I imagine that when I do upgrade to a 911 someday, I may forget just how good this car is, and join the ranks of calling it an underpowered hairblower for chicks. But I hope that is not the case. I hope to remember just how much I love the car. Its got a sublime chasis, very accelerative, and just a blast to drive!

Sorry for defending a brand I love so much and their vehicles they produce. Porsche is much more than the 911(although admittadly their best ever) and as far as I know, without deep research, other than possibly 1996 when the boxster wasn't out yet, in the US at least, Porsche has always relied on its other models. They have also devoted many hours and research to ALL their cars, to provide us with the most enjoyment. So as for me and many others, we will just have to "settle" for a Boxster and not a GT2, or heaven forbid a 360! Lets just hope I never stoop to that level (the 360 not GT2!)

All in good fun though, just try and see where I'm coming from

Danny911
    -----------
    '03 Boxster

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762285 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435273 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260467 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257519 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80938 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872170 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807549 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM