Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New season of Top Gear in jeopardy?

Quote:
    Top Gear - the wildly popular British TV series staring automotive commentator Jeremy Clarkson - is facing a major problem that could prevent filming of the upcoming season, according to the U.K's Telegraph. The controversy centers around concerns over noise and pollution caused by Clarkson & Co at the Dunsfold Aerodrome where the show is currently filmed. Dunsfold is slated to be redeveloped, meaning Top Gear is not only facing an eviction, but also must find a new location to shoot its episodes. Unfortunately, things aren't looking good for their location of choice, the Enstone airfield. Locals have already protested the use of the airfield by Top Gear, leaving producers to look for alternatives. So far, none have been found. To make matters worse, filming is slated to begin in May, and preparations of any airfield - if one is found - would take two months. Update: Top Gear has issued an official statement on the issue. Apparently, reports of their demise were greatly exaggerated.

Here's the link: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/02/21/new-season-of-top-gear-in-jeopardy/

Another link from BBC about filming: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4731958.stm

Re: New season of Top Gear in jeopardy?

Top Gear, while not objective, is fun to watch. I hope they get this sorted out.

mcdelaug

Surely it's the perfect opportunity to do the series in the Isle of Man!

It's amazing to me what a big deal people make out of these types of things. What's the big deal? Do these people making a fuss drive cars? If so they are totally contradicting themselves with the whole pollution thing. I love Top Gear, that would be a shame if they couldn't do it anymore.

I really wish Top Gear would do a US version of the show. The perfect location for them to shoot would be Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL. An absolutely beautiful facility. They can run the cars ragged on the track and then host the show in the musuem which has numerous racing bikes and Loti (LOL...my term for many Lotus cars) including an old F1 racer. If needs any more cred, Porsche moved their Drivers Educaton Events fro Road Atlanta to this facility.

Check this track out: Barber Motorsports Park Elevation Map WOW!

Quote:
    rludlow said:
    I really wish Top Gear would do a US version of the show. The perfect location for them to shoot would be Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL. An absolutely beautiful facility. They can run the cars ragged on the track and then host the show in the musuem which has numerous racing bikes and Loti (LOL...my term for many Lotus cars) including an old F1 racer. If needs any more cred, Porsche moved their Drivers Educaton Events fro Road Atlanta to this facility.

I am a 100% sure i would not watch an american version unless they kept the original cast. I watch top gear for their quirkyness, their obvious subjectivity on most cars, and hilarious analogies. All of which makes entertaining, fun, comical tv.:!

Boy I agree. I could care less if they do an American version. As long as I have Bittorent, I am a happy camper! Keep the original the original. Even the Americanised version of the original show is not as good.

Three different guys are just not going to be able to capture the obvious and clear "chemestry" (I hate to use that word) those three have, and that is what makes the show.

Michael

rludlow,

Your wish is answered:

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2006/01/stories/08/1.html

I am with TopherV and Michael. I enjoy the show bescause of the hosts and doubt Discovery channel will get it right with their version. Time will tell.

True... they need to take the cars from the UK (as you can only get some of the cars they test in the UK and any other country but the US) and they need to bring the show over here. However, they are going to have to lose their English idea of comedy and sayings that no American understands. But yeah, TopGear would be great to see in the US..and not those crappy cut down no crowd time edited versions that they show on discovery.

I agree with you 100%. If it were "Ameriwashed" I would probably not care for it!

"I am a 100% sure i would not watch an american version unless they kept the original cast. I watch top gear for their quirkyness, their obvious subjectivity on most cars, and hilarious analogies. All of which makes entertaining, fun, comical tv.:!

If they produce a USA version of Top Gear it will be a boring mess. Think Entertainment Tonight meets PBS's Motorweek and thats what it would probably be.

We dont do tongue in cheek, self deprecating humor well in the US and have way too many corporate legal departments ready to pounce.

A USA Top Gear would be a politicaly correct and diluted failure as would a German produced version.

Quote:
    0two9 said:
    True... they need to take the cars from the UK (as you can only get some of the cars they test in the UK and any other country but the US) and they need to bring the show over here. However, they are going to have to lose their English idea of comedy and sayings that no American understands. But yeah, TopGear would be great to see in the US..and not those crappy cut down no crowd time edited versions that they show on discovery.

English comedy is ten times better than anything the Americans can put together, at least for my taste . I understand all of it despite not living in the UK. It's the americanized versions of everything that make me cringe. Not sure what those producers are thinking...

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    If they produce a USA version of Top Gear it will be a boring mess. Think Entertainment Tonight meets PBS's Motorweek and thats what it would probably be.

We dont do tongue in cheek, self deprecating humor well in the US and have way too many corporate legal departments ready to pounce.

A USA Top Gear would be a politicaly correct and diluted failure as would a German produced version.

Yeah, I have a question. Why is the word, derived from the last name Crapper, used to describe a mass of organic waste, being dumped into an essential appliance of every lavatory the world over, CENSORED?
    And not just audio, they also censor lip movement and any "stray" fingers. Must really be bad being a producer there...

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Yeah, I have a question. Why is the word, derived from the last name Crapper, used to describe a mass of organic waste, being dumped into an essential appliance of every lavatory the world over, CENSORED?
    And not just audio, they also censor lip movement and any "stray" fingers. Must really be bad being a producer there...

Eh... what the heck are you talking about?

I think he's referring to the word 'crap' derived from the name of the guy who invented the flushing lavatory - Thomas Crapper.

Although, in what context I'm also not sure.

Quote:
    John H said:
    I think he's referring to the word 'crap' derived from the name of the guy who invented the flushing lavatory - Thomas Crapper.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough. Most of the shows I've seen on TV there have the world 'crap' censored and a lot of other stuff, which just seems absurd to me. Like the middle finger and lip movement. How can 'crap' be considered a curse word? That's just to top off the already bad shows.
    And the thing is, when the show is already bad and I'm for some reason watching it, choosing the language too carefully or censoring any unwanted words just adds icing onto the lousy cake. All fine and well, the shows are made with US audience in mind, but the problem is that some smartass is inevitably going to import the show here, instead of the british version.
    Oh yeah, there's another word... Ass!

Hi Crash - got it now.

I would find that annoying. Luckily we don't have the problem here, in fact following the watershed, there's very little censorship at all it seems.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    John H said:

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough. Most of the shows I've seen on TV there have the world 'crap' censored and a lot of other stuff, which just seems absurd to me. Like the middle finger and lip movement. How can 'crap' be considered a curse word? That's just to top off the already bad shows.
    And the thing is, when the show is already bad and I'm for some reason watching it, choosing the language too carefully or censoring any unwanted words just adds icing onto the lousy cake. All fine and well, the shows are made with US audience in mind, but the problem is that some smartass is inevitably going to import the show here, instead of the british version.

Crash, sorry I was a little confused. I had assumed you meant that in the US, the word "crap" was censored for US made television shows. I guess you really meant to say that the same shows, when reshown in Europe, had these words removed or replaced with a different word.

It must be fun watching the show "Becker" in Europe, then.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    John H said:

Crash, sorry I was a little confused. I had assumed you meant that in the US, the word "crap" was censored for US made television shows. I guess you really meant to say that the same shows, when reshown in Europe, had these words removed or replaced with a different word.

It must be fun watching the show "Becker" in Europe, then.

That's exactly right. Good to see we got it right on the second try

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    Top Gear, while not objective, is fun to watch. I hope they get this sorted out.

mcdelaug

Why do you think that Top Gear is biased?

Can you give me the name of a magazine or TV show that is 100% objective?And why that particular magazine or TV show?

Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    mcdelaug said:

mcdelaug

Why do you think that Top Gear is biased?

Can you give me the name of a magazine or TV show that is 100% objective?And why that particular magazine or TV show?

I think what mcdelaug is implying is Jeremy Clarkson has a problem with Porsche. (or at least, specificially, the 997)

Not sure what those producers are thinking...

MONEY! What it comes down to is typical corporate standards and the desire to advance one's career. You simply say YES to the corporation standards, edit your project as required, collect a fat pay check, and go to you seaside home in your new Porsche.

Or be true to your artistic, college age ideals and stay poor.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689282 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409069 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255686 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234938 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65494 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857875 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773873 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM