Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What would you do when challenged?

This is no offense to M car drivers but everytime I take my 997 out, there seem to be no shortage of M car drivers (and AMG to a smaller extent) who want to take me on. Even though I am an average P car driver at best I always seem to be able to smoke them. However, there comes a time when I really wish they would leave me alone!

Re: What would you do when challenged?

Best thing to do is:

a) rev your engine as if you are ready for the race - let the light go green, and slowly drift off.

b) stick your head out of the window - and show him your large scale tourist map with a big circle marked around the nearest race track.

As seen in the videos from another thread - we have no chance. I think you are 'racing' against Ricers with M badges stuck on the back of their trunk.

Wave them a friendly and ignore the challenge.

when i drive my M, i go looking for 997s to race

Don't forget lots of "M" cars are actually not the real deal... I've noticed lots of 3-series debadged with only an M badge, probably 318/320 etc with a body-kit. Well you can't stop them or riced up cars from trying to race you, so it's up to you to refrain (if you can).. good luck!

Quote:
    Kevin034 said:

Can't believe you said that.

Anyway you shouldn't have to look far - there's one in your garage isn't there?

I keep in the front of my mind two things:

1. they are just car nuts like I am, they are NOT my adversary or enemy. Probably good guys (or kids) too.

2. They ALSO probably realize they have alot to lose and don't want to f around too much. So I might joust a few seconds just for fun but I never let things get anywhere near out of hand (or have any other motorists around). Stupidity is contagious, I don't to infect the other guy with my own.

Oh, BTW, I'm the guy in the Porsche so I ain't got nuthin' to prove.

Quote:
    MMD said:

1. they are just car nuts like I am, they are NOT my adversary or enemy. Probably good guys (or kids) too.

2. They ALSO probably realize they have alot to lose and don't want to f around too much. So I might joust a few seconds just for fun but I never let things get anywhere near out of hand (or have any other motorists around). Stupidity is contagious, I don't to infect the other guy with my own.

Was drivin' my Rex and saw 997s Cab with PSE, caught up with it, not to race but to listen to some nice boxer 6 music amplified He didn't race me and I figured out he ain't got "nothing to prove"

I've had the odd bit of fun with an Evo, P-Car, F-Car and even once a bike - not at the lights, but on the Motorway (Freeway to those readers across the Pond). I think as long as the road is quiet and it's done in a friendly way (I always let them go past at least once and do the thumbs up), and not at silly speed for sustained distances it's fairly harmless.

I always pull away from the lights really slowly when kids are looking for a burnout contest in town - a) dangerous and b) reinforcing the stupidity as MMD says. Never (so far) had any real nutters yet - 911's are two a penny in London, so thy're not regarded as that flash anymore (unlike Ferraris)!

SoS.

Mish,

Almost all of the "M" cars around where I am (Chicago) are E36 M3's with mild to wild mods and E46 M3's stock to mild mods. Our 997's will out acceleerate either of those "M" cars. How do I know, I've owned both models with significant mods and have read numerous tests. As far as the M5's they are also best seen in the rear view mirrors of our cars. I dont' know what your talking about unless it is the new "M" cars which are obviously must faster than our cars. As far as AMG cars the there are quite a number of those cars that accelerate faster than our car. I had a C55 which would be no contest against my current 997. But other AMG models are extremely quick. As far as street racing, I just ignore them. I have a hunch which ones I can beat and vice versa and have nothing to prove either way. As someone said earlier, I am the one in the Porsche.

I guess it depends on your temperment. I think it is best to ignore them or perhaps a friendly smile and thumbs up. I am a fairly competitive person and don't want to corner myself into suddenly being involved in a dangerous street race. Plus, you never know what the other person might do. You could back off when safety dictates and the other driver may not leading to any number of bad outcomes.

John

Quote:
    MMD said:

I'm on board with MMD, I'll sling through a few gears with somebody, if the conditions/surroundings are sane.

My problem is, I practically NEVER get challenged anymore, NEVER come upon anything remotely intriguing to race on the road, in any area where we'd have room to play a bit. I feel like a kid in a park with a basketball, but all the other kids in the park can't even dribble, let alone shoot a basket, so I'm just left to play "horse" with myself.

When I was in my early 20's, with my built-up 5.0 Mustang, man, the roads back then were full of challengers, just about every day I had to defend my honor (and back in those days, there wasn't much that could screw with me, but alot of cars that wanted to try).

Then I got my '93 Corvette, and that got alot of challenges. That car, for its day, simply spanked all-comers on the street. For whatever reason, my LT-1 6-speed was a good runner, as it ran high-twelves at the 1/4 mile track with only a few bolt-on mods.

Then I got my S351 Saleen, and my days of street racing immediately vanished. Simply put, just the sounds and motions that car made at idle at a light scared the pee out of any potential challengers. The car just sat there shaking on its haunches from the aggressive cam, with the supercharger making an ominous grinding noise, like a big blender trying to puree bee-bees at low rpm. I'd be sitting at a light, a Corvette or Porsche would pull up, they'd take one look and listen at the shivering thumping thing next to 'em, and quickly stare straight ahead pretending they didn't notice me, or pretending that they were distracted, playing with the radio, etc... Never once, in the 20,000 + miles I put on that car, did anybody ever have the b*lls to make a go at me, or even rev their motor at me. Except for one kid in a Honda Civic with a nitrous kit. That was so funny, that I actually sandbagged him through 1st and 2nd gear, allowing him to think he was edging me, and then I floored it in 3rd and immediately left him in a thick haze of 295 Michelin Pilot tire smoke as I fishtailed away.....

Then my Lightning. My beloved stinking-fast truck. A few cheap mods (under $1000 bucks), and my utilitarian dirt-bike hauler and daily punching-bag was running 13-flats at the track, and would street launch like a bullet from a gun. For whatever reason, folks took alot of shots at my Lightning. I never lost a single stoplight race in that truck. It hooked like crazy, and had over 500 ft lbs of torque right off idle. It was demonic 0-70 mph. After that, I'd tap the brakes, as aerodynamics would take over and if I were to continue the race, just about any Vette, or 911, or M-car, could slowly start to reel me in and pass. No matter, I never race past 80 or-so on the street anyhow, so the Lightning was the perfect tool for absolutely astonishing smug and naive sportscar drivers.

Now I'm in my 997S, and durnit, nobody messes with it at all. Not for the same reasons as the Saleen, the 997S is far from the gorilla-on-acid that the S351 is. But everybody leaves me be nonetheless. But, that's o.k., it keeps me out of trouble. I'm careful enough to be safe and smart, but you never know when the po po is waiting behind the bushes.

anyone "unfortunately" raced a twinturbo 350z and didn't know it?

or R-34 skyline gtr? no nitrous, just twin turboed high psi huge ball-bearing turbo-chargers? 9 secs to 1/4 mile

Well, 997s is not a drag racer anyway. How come people on earth will even compare it with modified cars? In term of M cars, shouldn't be a problem for E46 or earlier M3, but not M5/M6.

Does Nissan offer a factory twin-turbo in Europe?

The world is full of "sleepers". My good friend's 1990 Mustang LX runs high-9's in the 1/4, looking bone-stock from the outside. Of course it's a professionally built 347 stroker with aluminum heads, BIG turbo, mini-tubs, full cage, and pure nonsense on the street where it's whisper quiet through the mufflers! LOL!!!

Sleepers are everywhere. But usually they are one-trick ponies. You just gotta keep a good sense of humor, and give the guy credit and a big thumbs-up, if he spanks your Porsche (that you obtained simply by writing a big check) with something he built on a budget in his garage. Bragging rights are something you have to claim judiciously. It's fair game when it's factory-car vs. factory car, and your only job was the act of buying it. But when somebody's put in a bunch of weekends, busted knuckles, and greasy fingernails, it's classless not to be nice and supportive and a good sport, win or lose.

On another note, anybody who drives dangerously, or who's car is not well-built or conceived such that it's safe to run beside, just needs to be ignored and let go on their way.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    Kevin034 said:

Can't believe you said that.

Anyway you shouldn't have to look far - there's one in your garage isn't there?

lol, I'm was just kidding, trying to get a rise outta ya.

I get challenged and tailgated alot here in Houston...it is a real pain. Most of the people wanting to race are kids in Nissans (whatever those buggy looking things are)and 30 somethings in their Audi S4's. If you want to drive them crazy just look like you are going to race then drive the speed limit.

By the way I did get sucked into a high speed race a couple of weeks ago with an Chrysler SRT8, couldn't shake him until I got to 130 and his limiter shut him down. Wasn't much traffic but that was really dangerous and stupid on my behalf....but fun.

I remember when I had my 993, this would've been in '99 or '00, when I first realized that I no longer had a fast car. I was on the Kennedy Expressway in the express lanes, heading towards 94. Two lanes into one, so I nail it. The S class Benz behind me stays glued to my bumper, even past 120 MPH. All I can think is, "A freakin' S class???"

Be careful should you happen upon a Jeep SRT8, too.

Here in NY I get a [censored] of challengers ... especially souped up pre E46 BMW's, Infiniti G35's and Subaru WRX's. I usually let them fly away at a light since I usually catch up later on with minimal effort. I found that the WRX seems to lose steam at higher speeds one time I got into a race withone ... if you can, just lead them to a twisty highway (like the Bronx River here in Westchester, NY) and drive it well ... at about 65 mph constant on that road, no car seems to have the ability to stay with a P. Porsches aren't made for drag strips and traffic light races. Throw some twisties in there and you got a different story.

Just make sure you know who is challenging you. About an hour ago returning from work I got challenged by a camouflaged police car

I ovetook them at over 200km/h, and later on when I had slowed down to a confortable cruise of 180km/h, I noticed a car far away trying to catch up to me.

Well, there are unmarked police cars with video cameras that record the speed and the cars in front and their traffic violations, they can even taunt you to race and then stop you afterward and give you the "book".

So I used the engine brake to slow down to 120km/h exactly (legal limit) and when they caught up they stuck to my rear taunting me, I continued regarless at the posted speedlimit so they got nothing on tape in case they were cops and I had my suspiosions. We reached the toll booths and they moved on.

At this point I wasn't sure they were the police for sure. Since I know these camera systems only record to the front and not the rear, after the toll thaey had passed athe toll and left quite a bit before me so I hit the throttle and played catchup to come up to their rear like they did to me and try to find out if they were cops. But its was so dark out and I cathed them so soon that I passed them again without realising it!! I saw in the rearview that they flashed the lights and lighted the police lights but guess what... this was all happening outside Spain and the bridge that separated that country with Spain was 500m away so I kept on and thats the last I saw them

So there, I don't know if they do that in Cananda but in Europe beware

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I saw in the rearview that they flashed the lights and lighted the police lights but guess what... this was all happening outside Spain and the bridge that separated that country with Spain was 500m away so I kept on and thats the last I saw them

That must have felt really good ...hehe

In France they record from the rear, go figure...

Quote:
    mish said:
    Best thing to do is:

a) rev your engine as if you are ready for the race - let the light go green, and slowly drift off.

you don't have to proove anything except that they are stupid

I recently had the opposite experience, I'm hustling along a nor-cal highway only to see a new DB9 volante driving like a madman to catch up and see if his exotic could hang with the P-car. Nice to know we get noticed by a car twice the price, and BTW he tried but did not hang....

Quote:
    yarub1 said:
    Wave them a friendly and ignore the challenge.

Ditto

EVO, WRX, MUSTANG SALEEN, M3 CAB.... Been there dude I've finally given up trying to look back...

I say IGNORE...

No sense racing on public highways... But if necessary... exercise extreme caution because when you race on public roads you put others at risk.

Drive ON!

-tooner-

Quote:
    tooner said:
    EVO, WRX, MUSTANG SALEEN, M3 CAB.... Been there dude I've finally given up trying to look back...

I say IGNORE...

No sense racing on public highways... But if necessary... exercise extreme caution because when you race on public roads you put others at risk.

Drive ON!

-tooner-

Hey, I gotta defend my car's honor.....

You've gotta pay close attention to the little decals on the hood and decklid of the Saleens. Most Saleen Mustangs are dinky-power S281's, basically glorified Mustang GT's with an aero-kit.

The S351 is a totally different animal, that only shares its basic body-tub and dash and door panels with a stock Mustang (everything else, driveline, chassis, is all unique..), and would never reside in your rear-view mirror for long. At 3500 lbs, 507 h.p., a 997S is no match on the freeway.

Between 1996 and 2000, Saleen produced 2,295 S281 vehicles. During that same span of years, only 127 S351's were hand-built, averaging only 25 per year, costing about 80% more than the S281. But from the outside, they are virtually identical save for the little decals denoting the model, and things you would notice standing still, like the exotic brakes peeking through the wheels.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread guys!!! I just had to defend the honor of my crude-but-effective little convertible!! Confusing S281's and S351's is like confusing a '69 912 with a '74 Carrera RSR.

O.K., now everybody, all together now... "WHO CARES 69BOSS!!"

I don't think I have had a M challenge since I have owned my 997s. Plenty of kids in their rice beaters and one particulary abnoxious junior in a cobalt. Set him up since my Valentine was going nuts. He jumped on it at the light and I just drove normally. He was pulled over one block later.

Quote:
    brownie said:
    I don't think I have had a M challenge since I have owned my 997s. Plenty of kids in their rice beaters and one particulary abnoxious junior in a cobalt. Set him up since my Valentine was going nuts. He jumped on it at the light and I just drove normally. He was pulled over one block later.

NICE.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752953 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430633 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258557 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255438 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868223 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801765 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM