Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: EVO: Z06 vs Exige 240 vs M400 vs GT3RS Article Scans

With little fanfare, the Honda NSX slipped into the pages of performance car history this month with the last of the US bound cars rolling of the production line in Japan.
    The NSX was first shown at the 1989 Chicago Auto show, where Mazda also debuted their ground-breaking MX-5. In the 15 years since sales began - first in August 1990 in the US as the Acura NSX and a month later in Japan wearing a Honda badge - less than 20,000 NSX's were sold worldwide.
    If you choose to be cold and analytical, yes, the NSX was a commercial failure. But sometimes, you can't judge a cars worth on sales figures alone. Like very few cars before or since, the NSX significantly altered the motoring landscape - especially in the supercar stratosphere.
    Why do you think the current crop of supercars are such well rounded cars and not just circus sideshows making a living of their looks and performance? Because the NSX showed that you could have all that and still deliver the everyday goods. Here, finally, was an ultra high performance car with genuine driveability and liveability.
    Remember in 1990 the offerings from Austin Martin, Lamborghini and Ferrari were all very crude devices. Even an early 90's is hardly a paragon of refinement and technology. The NSX was.
    Perhaps the greatest tribute to the Honda NSX is the Mclaren F1 - still the ultimate supercar to many enthusiasts. During the car's development phase, creator Gordon Murray used an NSX as everyday transport to remind him what he was attempting to achieve with the F1.
    So what went wrong? Initially the NSX was a critical and sales success but Honda allowed it to wither on the vine with only minor upgrades and improvements over the last 15 years. If only Honda had given in and fitted a V8...
    Ultimately, though, consumers turned away from the substance of the NSX in favor of fancier badges, engines and bodies, even if, initially at least, those exotics were inferior cars. And to a degree that's understandable.
    Personally I've only ever driven one NSX and that was more than three years ago. It was a face-lifted bubble headlight model and whole the interior was massively dated, the quality of the engineering in the chassis and drivetrain remained bang up to date.

So if you lust after the latest offerings from Ferrari, Lamborghini or Porsche dip your lid to the car that made it all possible.

Really Nick,

What American car should EVO be raving about? The Cadillac?
    The Vette?

It took them 40 years to finally put themselves on an equal level with Euro cars - and barely at that, wow what an achievement. The largest car company in the world ( btw they will lose that by 2009 to Toyota) has just put itself on even keel with Europe.

You must be soooo proud.

The Z06 might make good numbers, but as a total package its a loser. Try putting one on snow. Porsche, Lambo yes. Z06,
    not possible.

The arrogance and stupidity of some of the people here is just astounding! "It took GM 40 years to built a car that can compete with the Europeans" "The Z06 won't go on snow" It is not wise to form opinions without any information. My friend takes his Z06 to the mountains to ski quite often. I have owned 7 Vettes in the last 16 years and they have been the most trouble free cars that I have ever owned. And they are so easy and inexpensive to service. I have owned every make of car from Germany, plus some from England, Italy and Sweeden, and I can speak from experience...I don't know where this idea comes from about American cars. My 911 was in the shop monthly for one problem or another. My Mercedes almost fell apart! I won't mention BMW, which is the most over-hyped car on the planet. And my buddy, who has an 05 996TTS has had it in 8 times for rattles! We have driven eachothers cars, and he says my 06 Z06 blows his socks off! (as well as his doors!) If the interior of my $65,000 Z06 is not quite up to that of your $100,000+ 996 or 997, well, so be it. I will take the technology and the driving experience of the Z anyday. The bottom line is this: put your euroegos aside and drive the Z before you make any judgements!!! There you have it.

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    The arrogance and stupidity of some of the people here is just astounding! "It took GM 40 years to built a car that can compete with the Europeans" "The Z06 won't go on snow" It is not wise to form opinions without any information. My friend takes his Z06 to the mountains to ski quite often. I have owned 7 Vettes in the last 16 years and they have been the most trouble free cars that I have ever owned. And they are so easy and inexpensive to service. I have owned every make of car from Germany, plus some from England, Italy and Sweeden, and I can speak from experience...I don't know where this idea comes from about American cars. My 911 was in the shop monthly for one problem or another. My Mercedes almost fell apart! I won't mention BMW, which is the most over-hyped car on the planet. And my buddy, who has an 05 996TTS has had it in 8 times for rattles! We have driven eachothers cars, and he says my 06 Z06 blows his socks off! (as well as his doors!) If the interior of my $65,000 Z06 is not quite up to that of your $100,000+ 996 or 997, well, so be it. I will take the technology and the driving experience of the Z anyday. The bottom line is this: put your euroegos aside and drive the Z before you make any judgements!!! There you have it.

So I guess your issue really is the fact that there don't seem to be any good Corvette forums around where you could tell that to people who are interested in reading it?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

So I guess your issue really is the fact that there don't seem to be any good Corvette forums around where you could tell that to people who are interested in reading it?

There are many good Corvette forums around which I frequent. And if you are not interested in reading this thread, then you have the option of not reading it! (wow...arn't those Corvette drivers bright!)

I don't believe he was talking about the thread bieng uninteresting, he was talking about your post. Find yourself a Vette forum were that vette-chip you have on your should goes un-noticed, here you monologue is just annoying. Face it, a vette is a vette, now get over it. We Europeans are a rough crowd when it comes to sportcars, you are not going to convince anyone about choosing a Chevy Vette over a Porsche 911, move along now...

That, plus it's nice if you're here for a while BEFORE you get rude. Otherwise, we think you're like that all the time.

Dain

Quote:
    Carrageous said:
    That, plus it's nice if you're here for a while BEFORE you get rude. Otherwise, we think you're like that all the time.

Dain

Very well said.

BTW: why don't we just wait for a direct comparison between the Z06 and the 997 Turbo before starting a war of words again? I'm pretty sure that especially US car magazines just can't wait to do such a comparison. And I hope that GM doesn't chicken out and delivers a STOCK car for a SPORT AUTO Supertest. After we have the naked numbers and test figures, we'll have enough time to fight about which car is "better". The real question is only: who is really interested in the comparison figures? I can't say I'm really looking forward to such a comparison test, simply because I would never buy a Corvette over here for various reasons I already elaborated. And these are not reasons influenced by not liking the Z06 or not thinking that it is a good perfomer. But enough said...let the numbers speak for themselves in a not so far future. Until then...everybody relax. And this is no US vs. Europe culture war, Americans have great music, great movies, great steaks, great technology but regarding cars...well...they need to learn to keep up with the Europeans, like the Europeans learned to keep up and even build better SUVs. 10 years ago, most Europeans didn't even know what the word SUV means. Or remember the microwave oven or lead free fuel? Americans were far ahead in the past. So please...there is no clash of the cultures...just a little bit of passionate sportscar talk. Nothing more and nothing less.

Ronnie C6Z, you are flat out wrong about the snow and C6 Z06.

Even Dave Hill said just park the C6 Z06 when it snows. Its run flat tires turn into rock hard Flintstone tires below 28F and there are no winter tires available for it. The C5 Z06 was useable in the snow but has a 100 less hp and torque.

RC I dont know why you want to compare a 997TT to a Z06. They are priced pretty far apart. One is rear engine AWD, the other is front engine RWD. Its obvious wich one is going to have better traction and its obvious wich one will be tested with Ceramic brakes and wich one will have iron brakes.

A more realistic price/performance comparison would be a optioned 997S against a Z06 in the European market.

Whatever, If the test is on a dry day, and if the Sport Auto people drive the Corvette in the same way that Corvette testers in the US do, who know that the Corvettes gearbox is not a dainty item and just slam shift the hell out of it, you might be suprised at the initial numbers.

If you question what does the US actually make thats is fast, beautiful, perfectly detailed and well built, just look here.

http://www.palmerjohnson.com/

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    I have owned every make of car from Germany, plus some from England, Italy and Sweeden, and I can speak from experience...[..]My 911 was in the shop monthly for one problem or another. My Mercedes almost fell apart! I won't mention BMW, which is the most over-hyped car on the planet. And my buddy, who has an 05 996TTS has had it in 8 times for rattles![...]There you have it.

Isn't it a bit TOO MUCH?...
    How come European cars sell well in America then?I mean,they're unreliable,expensive to run,not fast,etc.

Quote:
    Walter said:Isn't it a bit TOO MUCH?...
    How come European cars sell well in America then?I mean,they're unreliable,expensive to run,not fast,etc.

Yes it is a bit too much.

The Corvette and Hummer are proud warriors fighting a rear guard action while the UAW is sucking the life-blood out of GM. Their divisions of GM are the only bright spots in a really bleak forecast. It's only a matter of time until even the Corvette division is reduced to indentured servitude and will also start using fleet sales to make thier break-even sales volume.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:Isn't it a bit TOO MUCH?...

Yes it is a bit too much.

The Corvette and Hummer are proud warriors fighting a rear guard action while the UAW is sucking the life-blood out of GM. Their divisions of GM are the only bright spots in a really bleak forecast. It's only a matter of time until even the Corvette division is reduced to indentured servitude and will also start using fleet sales to make thier break-even sales volume.

One of the new board members of GM, a stooge of Kerkorian,
    stated that it made sense to sell off Hummer because Hummer owners were not also buying Cadillacs!

Think about that sales logic!

Lets take one of our only two profitable lines and flush it because it customers wont buy other garbage that we tell them to!

What a genius!

You know what I find interesting about this forum, is when you say a vette is a vette, and you talk about brute force vs. a gentle scalpal...this still doesn't answer the fact that the C5/6R has beaten EVERY SINGLE EUROPEAN...and AMERICAN sports car on race tracks around the world time and time again. The only way we lose is through major mechanical failure which is 1 out of 50 races. You guys keep coming back with car after car, from the most prominent manufacturer's in the world, and CAN NOT seem to take our title. Appreciate our work and engineering! What the F&*K does one need to do?

When we weren't competing on the race track, that was the measuring stick...OK got that. Then reliability was an issue...GOT THAT, Now we must have a scalpal feel? What the F*&K. Come on!!!

In the end the FASTEST one wins, and I don't mean a strait line! 911 RS feels like a scalpal until I BLOW by it at Leguna Seca (one of the most challenging tracks in the world) and LAP it after a dozen laps or so

The fastest car is not always the one that FEELS the best. Some of the fastest cars in the history of racing, were often ripped apart by the drivers for being a hand full. My car might not feel like a scalpal, and I might be holding on for dear life, but I will DEFINATELY pass you on any race track you can name for 1/6th cost...give me just $10k in mods...you'll need a REAL DBR9

What is really funny is that many of these readers here won't ever drive the Z06 because of a preconceived notion that it is crude. Thinking your way through life like that is just plain ignorant.

For all you Vette haters out there (I'm not partial to Vettes, I love all machines that go fast), do the whole Sports Car community a favor and go drive one, THEN report back how truely crappy the car is. Otherwise STFU.

No matter what the Z06's 0 to 180mph time is, for European
    audiences it has problems of availability, servicing, parts,
    local image and also for now at least, zero availability of winter tires.

Also, if you have seen parking spaces in European garages and saw just how close they park to each other,you would take one look at those long doors on a Corvette and say forget it.

A vette is the same size as a 997 but its doors are way longer. I saw one C6 parked underground at the St Sulpice(forgive the spelling)public garage in Paris. With cars parked on both sides of it, the driver would have needed to crawl in thru the rear hatch, wait for one of the cars to leave or miraculously turn himself into a anorexic gymnast to get inside of his own car.

Maybe when enough Z06's get active in continental amateur and casual track events it might sway a few minds. Corvette did a terrific at professional racing in Europe, but with out a proper customer care infrastructure and localized marketing the car will remain a oddity.

But for US Porsche fans to deny Corvette any legitimacy just shows they dont go to a race tracks much. There is nothing so humbling in the Porsche world then to watch a Corvette just bury a Porsche on a straight away at a casual drivers training day. To get another 100hp plus from any Corvette costs less than 997 adaptive sport seats and bigger brakes are no large expense either.

If GM survives and if Bob Lutz has his way, we will see the next Corvette be mid engined and with at least a 7 liter 4 cam V8. That is definitly on his menue and is something that the Corvette Division has been wanting to build for a long time. Lutz wants it. They might build it.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    If GM survives and if Bob Lutz has his way, we will see the next Corvette be mid engined and with at least a 7 liter 4 cam V8. That is definetly on his menue and is something that the Corvette Division has been wanting to build for a long time. Lutz wants it. They might build it.

Now that would be really interesting.

Alan, they already have a all aluminum 455 cu inch 4 cam V8 designed for it. Translate that into cc's of displacement
    at your own peril! This motor is not be a stroked version of the 350 V8 like the Z06's 427 is. It is a lightweight big block motor. Without turbocharging or supercharging, it could easily achieve 575hp-625hp and have a 8000 rpm redline. It would make the current Z06 engine sound and feel tame. Think back to the big engine Can Am cars, its that kind of power and volcanic torque.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Alan, they already have a all aluminum 455 cu inch 4 cam V8 designed for it. Translate that into cc's of displacement
    at your own peril! This motor is not be a stroked version of the 350 V8 like the Z06's 427 is. It is a lightweight big block motor. Without turbocharging or supercharging, it could easily achieve 575hp-625hp and have a 8000 rpm redline. It would make the current Z06 engine sound and feel tame. Think back to the big engine Can Am cars, its that kind of power and volcanic torque.

I dislike all the Vette fans coming here and trying to convince us to like the Vette, who also taunt us in the process.
    However, I really like the Vette and it's a shame we can't get more to Europe. Once more bureaucrats could afford a fast sports car, maybe then we'd get more lenient traffic laws.

Crash, Im sure the EU bureaucrats in Brussels would agree with your pay raise scheme.

I agree Crash.

The performance card has continually been played, but I don't think that aspect was ever the main point of contention in this thread. The Evo article never doubts the Z06's performance. Especially since this article is about street driving impressions! Let them go to a track and decide there as well. For a combination of both, Autocar tends to do a nice spread every year, on "Britain's Best Driver's Car".

- Justin

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    You know what I find interesting about this forum, is when you say a vette is a vette, and you talk about brute force vs. a gentle scalpal...this still doesn't answer the fact that the C5/6R has beaten EVERY SINGLE EUROPEAN...and AMERICAN sports car on race tracks around the world time and time again. The only way we lose is through major mechanical failure which is 1 out of 50 races. You guys keep coming back with car after car, from the most prominent manufacturer's in the world, and CAN NOT seem to take our title. Appreciate our work and engineering! What the F&*K does one need to do?

When we weren't competing on the race track, that was the measuring stick...OK got that. Then reliability was an issue...GOT THAT, Now we must have a scalpal feel? What the F*&K. Come on!!!

In the end the FASTEST one wins, and I don't mean a strait line! 911 RS feels like a scalpal until I BLOW by it at Leguna Seca (one of the most challenging tracks in the world) and LAP it after a dozen laps or so

The fastest car is not always the one that FEELS the best. Some of the fastest cars in the history of racing, were often ripped apart by the drivers for being a hand full. My car might not feel like a scalpal, and I might be holding on for dear life, but I will DEFINATELY pass you on any race track you can name for 1/6th cost...give me just $10k in mods...you'll need a REAL DBR9

Right On! Well Said!!! I Could not agree more!!!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Maybe when enough Z06's get active in continental amateur and casual track events it might sway a few minds. Corvette did a terrific at professional racing in Europe, but with out a proper customer care infrastructure and localized marketing the car will remain a oddity.

But for US Porsche fans to deny Corvette any legitimacy just shows they dont go to a race tracks much.

I think you'll see a lot more in the near future, especially in FIA GT and other gentleman type series. The new Z06R is making it's debut at race tracks accross Europe this year. It is not the Pratt & Miller C6R, but a true street car modified for road racing. I beleive it is suppose to run in classes similar to our World Challenge Series (if you get that in Europe).

I think the attraction to Corvette is SIMPLE..bang for the buck. I make no claim otherwise. They are not as nice as 911 nor do the panels fit as well. They are an average sucessful business person's sports car, with one exception, they perform like a $150,000+ exotic, but at the sacrafice of details, for the sake of cost. I mean why should the rich have all the fun? I personally would sacrifice comforts and finish for F40 like performance anyday, and I bet most on this forum would as well. Does one care about finish and comfort when they purchase an Elise? Think of the Z06 as an Elise on steriods.

For example, I have a (C5 Z06) that is completely modified for hard track use. It is still streetable, but is unbeleivable at the track. It has a 500hp reliable pushrod motor, modified race prepped suspension, modified racing brakes, and a huge set of 315 r compounds. It has all the appropriate coolers, exhaust, and saftey equipment. The car cost me $30k, plus about $10k in mods. I regularly pass 550/575M's, MODIFIED 911TT's, and other super cars, all for $40k...what is wrong with that? It's can be a handfull at times, but so is an F40. If someone told you that you could own an F40 for $65,000 would you take it...oh yeah! We'll it exists...it's called the Z06.

Please don't take my previous post as confrontational. I think forums like this are great places for heated discussions surrounding our particular passions. It would be boring if we were all polite.

Let's be happy cars like this still exist in such an environmentially conscious culture...let's embrace them.

I for one am pleased to see some Corvette enthusiasts here. As long as their posts are in the Sports Car forum and we're discussing cars not egos, then it's all good fun. The Corvette, especially the Z06, is a serious sportscar. Just because it doesn't appeal to everyone on rennteam doesn't mean it should be looked down upon. I hope you guys stay and become regular posters. A little diversity in thinking is good.

mcdelaug

Quote:
    95jersey said: I personally would sacrifice comforts and finish for F40 like performance anyday, and I bet most on this forum would as well. ... It's can be a handfull at times, but so is an F40. If someone told you that you could own an F40 for $65,000 would you take it...oh yeah! We'll it exists...it's called the Z06.

I'm happy to see your post here too, but a C5Z and an F40 are worlds apart. Sure, maybe the lap times are in the same ballpark, but no way they drive the same.

F40 is 2,500 lbs with 2.8L TT midengined V8 (7,800 rpm redline) against C5Z 3,200 lbs 5.7L front-engined V8 (6,500rpm redline).

BTW, I've passed F40's at the track in my 73 911 that cost about the same as your Z. I think it comes closer to the F40 experience than your car (1,890 lbs rear engined, 8,000 rpm redline), but I'd never think to compare it to one - they're still VERY different!

Welcome to Rennteam

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    I for one am pleased to see some Corvette enthusiasts here. As long as their posts are in the Sports Car forum and we're discussing cars not egos, then it's all good fun. The Corvette, especially the Z06, is a serious sportscar. Just because it doesn't appeal to everyone on rennteam doesn't mean it should be looked down upon. I hope you guys stay and become regular posters. A little diversity in thinking is good.

mcdelaug

Thanks for the nice post.
    RonnieC6Z
    Yellow 06 C6 Z06

I ran with a guy who had a modified 73 911 wide body. That was one of my favorite cars. He and I went back and forth a Watkins Glen for an entire weekend and had a great time. That IS a great car! He took me for a ride and while I pulled in the straits, his weight advantage would gain in the corners and under braking. I prefered his lighter non-turbo 73 911 to the heavier more powerful late model turbos. I love the string door handles. He was running a 3.4 liter if I remember. The car was prepped for club racing and had a nice set of adjustable Moton's. My mouth watered over those!!!

I am honored to be a part of your forum and look forward to many future discussions. I am in my mid 30's and have been an avid track enthusiast for about 5 years now. My car is an 01 Z06 that I have built over the years. I am pretty technical when it comes to C5 set up, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I promise to be nice

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765405 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437285 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261431 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258219 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82765 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877538 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809810 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM