Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: First time you saw a Porsche and first Porsche Purchase

I can't remember when I saw my first Porsche but I clearly remember falling in love with the car while watching Robert Redford and some very hot 1960s German Girl in Downhill Racer tooling around the snow covered alps, skis on the roof of her new 911. Skiing, hot girl, Porsche..... that was it for me. Can't remember the color, but I think it was orange or red. Somehow I got turned around and have lusted for a white 911 since then. First Porsche? A Black used 1986 944 about 7 years ago followed by a Black 1999 Boxster followed by a Black 2006 Carrera last month. Why not white?? The new cars seem too fat in white. Now this little white 1968 911L that I'm looking at.......

Tommy,

I saw a White 997 4S on the road a few weeks back! SWEEEEEET!

@carrageous,

Great post!

Quote:
    Carrageous said:
    ...driven by, I imagined, a tall, sophisticated engineering professor.

ROFL! Some of mine were tall but none were sophisticated! Sorry.

Fell in love with the Porsche in 1963 at a gymkona (sp?) at an old airport on Long Island, NY. First purchase 2006 - only a 43 year wait!

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    Quote:
    Carrageous said:
    ...driven by, I imagined, a tall, sophisticated engineering professor.

ROFL! Some of mine were tall but none were sophisticated! Sorry.

What did I know? I was only ten and EVERYONE was tall and sophisticated to me!

First saw a 356 in the 50s
    First drove a 911 in the 80s
    First purchase, a Boxster S in 2006
    Any advance on 48 years?

Cant even remember my first "sighting"...

I'm 20 now and there isnt a day that goes past that I
    dont reflect on how "lucky" I am to be driving my first
    Porsche.... (GT3)

Always was car crazy. I couldn't even talk but I always pointed at every vw bettle and grunted. So my dad says.

Vw bettles were one thing but it must have soon thereafter that I realized that a Porsche was a special bettle. So that started it full blown, when I was probably 5 or so.

One image I think about even to this day, was when our family went to Germany for the first time in '75 and I was 10 years old. I used to always get the seat behind my dad so that I could see the cars passing. We were driving a yellow Ford Cortina rental car as I remember. In those days autobahn driving was really aggressive. Headlights flashing, passing on the shoulder and to be honest I think there was a bigger difference in cars. You had fast cars like a Porsche 911, a Mercedes SL or a BMW Bavaria and then you had everybody else. Everybody elso had max of maybe 150 km/h and they could go 200 km/h or even more.

As we were heading down to the Schwarzwald (Black Forest for our english friends), a white 911 turbo passed us fairly slow and then just accelerated. As we accelerated up the hill as fast the Cortina would go, the 911 was already dwon the next. And all you could see was the wide butt and wing. That was a one beautiful sight.

Many years later when I was thirty I purchased an 86 Carrera Targa white with full spoilers, which looked very similer to that 75 turbo. Still have a soft spot for white 911, even if silver and black is all the rage.

Now Porscheless at 40, I am dreaming of getting one again. I have two samll kids, which would easily fit in the back. And FYI my kids 6 and 7 have known what a Porsche is since they could see.

The first Porsche I ever saw was a non-event for me,--while living in Germany in 1964 a friend's father purchased a new white 911. Clearly this was one of the first ones out. The 911 emblem was on the lower deck lid, on a diagonal, in gold. But the one that got me to take notice was the day a friend dropped by the house in 1973 with his new 914. One year later I bought it from him when he lost his job. My mother thought I was out of my mind to spend $5000 for a USED car! 2-1/2 years later (with a total of 55,000 miles on it) I sold it to a guy on the waiting list for it,--for $5000. No losses there. That same month, again, living in Germany, I ordered a new 911S (77) and took delivery at Zuffenhausen in March 77. I put 22,000 on the car in about 10 months, enjoying the heck out of it on the autobahns and Swiss passes. It was $14,800 and nearly killed me to buy it, and every other dollar went for insurance and GAS! Reluctantly I traded it away in 1983 for a slightly used 1981 911SC-turbo coupe which easily would do 162 mph. With the narrow flairs and whale tail it was stable and such fun! But, time marched on, and by now I owned 4 cars and had little time to use the Porsche. I reluctantly sold it in 1994 and have been between Porsches since then. I submitted my order for a new 06 997S Cabriolet in November and will be picking it up in Zuffenhausen in May,--and driving many of the same passes in Switzerland that I took in 1977-78 when breaking in my last new 911.

Dan

I don't remeber the exact day other than it was in the late 70's when I started driving and of course it was the 911 that captured my imagination. Got married pretty young, 21 bought a house within a year, had kids put them through school (chemical engineer and one entering univ. this fall), lusted continuously over the 911 but really did not like the 996 at all. Drove my first P car back in the mid 90's and it was a 928s. The first time I saw the 997 I immediately new that it as time to jump in so when your 45 and you see guys (not to be morbid) dropping around you...- told the wife that it was time and although I got some grief she undestood that it had to happen. Cashed in a few of those options they were handing out like candy 7-8 years ago and bought myself the base (more than plenty for me) and haven't regretted it for a second even though I've probably lost $40k as a result.

The sheer joy of getting into my car is undescribable, my wife always sees me grinning from ear to ear.

I know there is a lot of debate around these forums over S and non S and all that stuff but to be honest if you really love the 911 all the rest is just testosterone talk as far as I'm concerned. The car is spectacular in all its forms and porsche really knows its market by bifurcating it into very discrete segments. Sure they could do a few things better and that's why I give them honest feedback - but this version (997) in my opinion has hit the nail on the head.

This is my first p car, and I am so happy (8500km) with my purchase. Engine has started to really come alive over the last 1000 km. For any of you out there doing test drives, just remember that any tester that has less than 5000km (3000 miles) doesn't truly reflect the nature of the car from a performance perspective so don't be fooled.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    It was $14,800 and nearly killed me to buy it, and every other dollar went for insurance and GAS!

Ah, the good old days of 3 DM to a dollar!

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    I submitted my order for a new 06 997S Cabriolet in November and will be picking it up in Zuffenhausen in May,--and driving many of the same passes in Switzerland that I took in 1977-78 when breaking in my last new 911.

Check your route beforehand. A lot of the high passes will still be closed in May.

"Check your route beforehand. A lot of the high passes will still be closed in May."

thanks, Fritz. I'm shooting for the well established passes during the first part of the trip, and hoping things will melt off in 2-3 weeks!

Exchange rate? It was a terrible 2.38 Marks to the Dollar in those days. Every Pfenning it changed racked up the bucks!

Dan

I took delivery of my 911S today, Feb. 20. The knots in my stomach were gone, especially after I looked it over before paying for it. Compared to most Rennteam members, mine was simply equiped: a 911S with Basalt Black Metallic (I'm glad I got that color), the Sports Chrono, the Tire Pressure Monitoring System, the Porsche floor mats, heated front seats, and, at the last minute, a 3M clear coat bra (the lines do show, but I'm glad I got it as a small rock was kicked up by another car and hit my new car on the way home - no apparent damage, and I looked it over quite thoroughly).

What a thrill to drive, even though the temperature was about 7 degrees C (44 degrees F), which makes the tires a bit hard. Great treatment from my dealer, HBL (also known as Porsche of Tysons, in Northern Virginiia). I have the front license plate holder in the trunk, but the salesman said to run with just the rear plate. I'll see how long before I get a ticket or warning. I can install it myself if need be, but I'd prefer to run with only the rear plate.

I've got an old fashion (late 90's) Nikon N70 with some Kodachrome loaded so I'll get the pictures developed and digitized and upload them when I get them.

Many thanks to all the Rennteam members for the super great advice and insights on options, and also problems, for the 997 models!

Jim

I can't remember the first time I saw one in person, I remember lusting after one in a magizine in 75, never thought I would be driving a new one. Congratulations Jim, you and I both got our black 997S same day. It was 25 degrees here in Michigan, I'll trade you locations if you can get me a job there. My wife would love to be back in VA.

31 years is a long time to wait, but worth it.
    Doh! Almost forgot the obligatory ass end shot. Jim, you have got to get a digital camera, I ditched all my film, and use digi for all my customer work.

My first Porsche I saw was a pair of 356s in about 1962...I don't remember them, but there is picture I cannot find of my father holding me standing beside the cars. He and a buddy opened a VW dealership in 1959 and were asked by the VW/Porsche distributor to deliver these two 356s to customers. They picked them up in New Orleans and raced them back to Lafayette, Louisiana for delivery.

My next experience was detailing a friend's 1974 911 when I started my own little detailing business at age 15. He let me drive the car across the street from his house to mine to detail it a couple of times a month. When I turned 16, he let me drive it around the country roads near our homes; I have wanted one ever since. I finally pulled the trigger in December for a base 997 Carrera...30 year wait...the 'not a mid-life crisis, a life long obsession' quote fits me perfectly. I was actually starting to lose interest thru the 996 years. The 997 brought me back. Me too, only a 911 would do.

First Porsche I saw was 1968 and a new 1968 gold 911 Targa. Can still remember the sound of it! Then 1970 with the 917 paper model offered at the Gulf stations (promo for the Le Mans movie). Then who remembers "Cool Million" on TV in 1972? A red 911 Targa was featured. Got a 1975 914 in 75 then a 1979 924 in 79. Finally, at age 47 in 2004, my first real Porsche, my 911 (997C2).

Quote:
    pic911s said:
    I know there is a lot of debate around these forums over S and non S and all that stuff but to be honest if you really love the 911 all the rest is just testosterone talk as far as I'm concerned.

Too true.

Congrats on your new Porsche.

Today was my second day of ownership. I was out aimlessly (adding miles to get out of breakin restrictions) tooling around and whet through a small nearby town. A teenage boy walking down the side of the road gave me a thumbs up. If this thread goes on long enough, he might be able to add a comment!

Quote:
    flap said:
    31 years is a long time to wait, but worth it.
    Doh! Almost forgot the obligatory ass end shot. Jim, you have got to get a digital camera, I ditched all my film, and use digi for all my customer work.

Flap,

Is that Basalt Black Metallic? Sure looks like mine, except you have PSE and probably some other great options.

The bad news is that I found out that the Virginia State Police are on a hunt for one-license (rear only) Virginia cars - the fine is $250!!!!!!! These buzzards are really revenue hungry. I can't remember when the Virginia State Police caught some hardened criminals. They're more interest in shaking down people for traffic fine revenue.

I'm going to fit the bracket that Porsche provided by drilling under the lip of the bumper; I can attach the bracket that way, and if I ever sell it (I doubt that, unless I trade it in on another Porsche), I can put plugs in that won't show.

Maybe I'll spring for a cheap digital camera, but I love that Kodachrome. I guess I'm a mossback in a digital world.

By the way, flap, I was originally from Milwaukee - my parents were both from Michigan's Upper Peninsula - the Copper Country. While I've lived in Virginia more than 31 years - and wouldn't leave it unless thrown out - I still have that same Midwest accent. Can't shake it after all these years.

But I don't miss the harsh winters!!!!!!

Jim

Regular Black, Jim. Even the cheap digitals are good nowadays.

First time seeing a Porsche (that I remember): 10-12 ?

First time purchasing a Porsche: 34, but I'm a waiter expecting in early June, 1 month before my 35th B-day

First noticed Porsches in the mid 60's. Bought our first Porsche, a '79 911 SC, in 1980 at age 36. It has been better than I ever imagined. The novelty has never worn off. When I drive that car, I feel good. Got second Porsche, 2005 997 C2S, for my 61st birthday. A magnificent piece of engineering with all the virtues extolled on this forum, but I cannot part with the SC.

First time I saw a Porsche & my first Porsche purchase...

I was born in 1969 and all I know is that, as a 2 year old, even before I went to kindergarten, I used to kneel on a chair against the window of my parents' apartment in Central London and looking out at the cars go by all day long, I would identify every different luxury/exotic car I could, shouting "Porsche!", "Ferrari!", "Bentley!", "Jaguar!", "Mercedes!" etc etc. Believe you me, I knew the names and model numbers of literally hundreds of cars even then! I am sure I was completely unbearable to live with. I used to call my family saying "Come on, come on, look, LOOOOK, it's an Aston Martin!!" as if it was the most important thing in the world.

My parents were 'forced' to buy me every kind of Matchbox or Corgi toy car I spotted. I feel so guilty now for how I behaved then. I used to see a toy car and I would just lay down on the ground in protest until they bought it for me. I am sure my collection is quite valuable now... Nowadays, my son is the guardian of all those cars. He's 9 years old and equally nuts about cars as I am.

So, I really don't know when I saw my first Porsche. All I can safely say is that I grew up watching gorgeous cars go by the window of our apartment all day long until it was time to go to nursery school and learn my ABC. So, I suppose I could say that I caught the exotic car bug very early.

Sure enough, I grew up obsessed with cars, going to motor shows, playing Top Trumps (a card game where the card for the car with the more impressive performance specs would 'trump' the card of one's opponent), playing car race video games at the arcades (like Outrun and Pole Position - remember those?), requesting hundreds of new car brochures for cars I could never afford and which I had no hope of buying (whilst fending off my mom's constant complaints about not having enough room in our home to store them all) but, above all, watching every Grand Prix on a Sunday more observantly than the most devout Catholic could be seen at Church that day... For me, petrol was my wine for automotive communion each Sunday a race was held. F1 has been a religion to me every since.

Having said that I never bought my own car until my late 20s. Living in London, I travelled everywhere on the Undergound (i.e. our metro system). When I needed to drive somewhere (or if I just felt like going for a drive with the stereo blasting the latest hits) I would drive my parents' cars until I got my first car, a black BMW 328i (which I still have, though hopefully not for much longer!)

I guess since I only really drive at weekends (e.g. somewhere out of London), having a car has not been necessary but just a wonderful luxury. I walk to work - 10 minutes on foot each way - so I still consider my car as just a 'lovely thing to have'.

As for Porsches, I grew up in awe of the marque. As a teenager, I was well aware of the many victories at Le Mans. I would read all about legends like Derek Bell and the kind of speeds Porsches would reach on the famous Mulsanne straight. I used to love the 928, the 944 and the 968. I never idolised the 911. I found the various previous incarnations quite unappealing and dated in their styling. Maybe I just wasn't able to appreciate them like some people lack the palette to appreciate certain wines. Then the 996 came along and by this time I was a practising lawyer so purchasing one was realistic financially. But still, something held me back. Again, there was something about the styling that just didn't captivate me. I also suppose that the 1980s image of Porsches as being cars for boorish City banker types who had made a lot of money very quickly under the Thatcher years was a slight turn off. I guess, in my mind, it has taken some time for the marque to shrug off this image.

Then one day in September 2004, my wife and I happened to be going past our nearest Porsche dealer. We saw the new 997S in seal grey with cocoa interior. I was hooked there and then. It was my lightning bolt from the blue. From that day on, I wanted no other car. Sure, I absolutely adore the Ferrari F430 and the Lamborghini Gallardo but they're not cars I could visualise myself driving in. I don't feel like I belong in them. They just don't suit my character.

The rest of my tale is well known to those of you who have read my posts on rennteam before.

Come September this year, I hope my dream will be fulfilled age 36.

The first Porsche I recall loving was a 928 with the checkered cloth seats. That was a beautiful car. Black or dark burgundy and street parked. I walked past it every day on my way to school in '78 through '80 or so.

I'm still about 5 months from ordering, though surfing this board helps (or hurts, I'm not sure).

What is the lead time for a March '07 delivery? The dealers I've checked with are all over the board from 6 months down to 2.

Can't remember exactly when I saw my first Porsche, I believe I was 10 when I said, I want one of those. The 911 has always made me smile.

I might of got this wrong, but can anyone remember the black 911's in condorman getting trashed, cried for ages saying "I could of had one of them". However, later I beleive I was told they were not real one's

I must see if I can find a clip online somewhere.

The first time I actually noticed Porsche and took a shining to them was when the 993 came out and I saw it at the Chicago Autoshow. A couple more years and I'll have a 911 of my own.

It's great to read about how many rennteam members got hooked on Porsche's! Unlike many of you who are still working, I'm only a part-timer - that is, partially retired. I figured that if I didn't do it now, I'd never get one. And after seeing and test-driving the 997S, I just could not, and would not, settle for anything less. It took me about two years between the time I first thought about getting one until I took delivery. The more research I did on the subject, the more I wanted the 997S. And I can drive it every day without having to have my own personal mechanic.

Jim

I was about 11 or 12 and saw a red 911S drive by my house. Since then, I've had a love affair with the 911 and anything Porsche. Through the years I've tried to buy the best performing car I could afford (including Porsche 944, Mustang GT, 97 and 03 BMW M3, Audi S4) but always dreamed of owning a 911. Recently, I've been seriously shopping and have driven many of the 2006 models from the Boxster S to the 997S. The 997S still seems just out of reach financially but I've decided not to settle this time and just figure out a way to get one in my garage. My goal is to have a 997S in the next year and I'll find a way to get it done.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777237 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441702 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262780 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260956 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85224 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5571 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880656 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815959 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM