Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Does the Cayman Have Legs?

I was at Rusnak Porsche Pasadena this evening and noticed they had three Cayman and one CGT on the dealer floor. There were no 997s for many months at most dealerships. Has the buzz on the Cayman dropped off?

Re: Does the Cayman Have Legs?

I believe we saw an initial flood of Caymans at some dealers right after the launch date.....and some are left.

It really depends on what dealer and where you live....my dealer has two silver Caymans....but has about 2 each of every variety 997 there is including cabs, 4's, S's, etc. They also only have 2 or 3 Boxsters....pretty strange as they usually have a full lineup of them. Next month it could be the other way around.

After picking up my Cayman a week ago I asked my salesman how they were selling. He said all of his allocations for the first months were spoken for and most Caymans are still being customed ordered. So the dealership has delivered quite a few, but won't have a lot sitting around on the lot. They are still getting lots of requests for test drives and info, but walk-in sales are not brisk right now....but it is winter,...never has been a great time to release or sell a sports car of any kind.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    I was at Rusnak Porsche Pasadena this evening and noticed they had three Cayman and one CGT on the dealer floor. There were no 997s for many months at most dealerships. Has the buzz on the Cayman dropped off?

Hehe, ask them how many Caymans they have in their secret underground parking lot a few blocks away.

My Cayman's going to longer than first quoted, due to demand, my dealer said. Now coming in mid May and not early April

Quote:
    turbokuo said:
    Quote:
    vtrader said:

Hehe, ask them how many Caymans they have in their secret underground parking lot a few blocks away.

Keep tryin' dude.....it just aint so. Cayman sales are doing just fine. Are they flying off the lot?....no, but they definitely are moving. As I said before, winter is not the time for sports cars of any make.

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    As I said before, winter is not the time for sports cars of any make.

And summertime is the time for convertibles... So where's the Caymman's claim?

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Quote:
    turbokuo said:
    Quote:
    vtrader said:

Keep tryin' dude.....it just aint so. Cayman sales are doing just fine. Are they flying off the lot?....no, but they definitely are moving. As I said before, winter is not the time for sports cars of any make.

Oh I wasn't arguing your point, touchy touchy, although a Cayman that MSRP for 68K sold for 6K off this weekend. I was more referring to the fact that Rusnak keeps 30%-50% of their inventory in two different underground parking lots. So when they sell one Cayman they take another one out to make it appear as if they have low inventory.

Quote:
    turbokuo said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Quote:
    turbokuo said:
    Quote:
    vtrader said:

Oh I wasn't arguing your point, touchy touchy, although a Cayman that MSRP for 68K sold for 6K off this weekend. I was more referring to the fact that Rusnak keeps 30%-50% of their inventory in two different underground parking lots. So when they sell one Cayman they take another one out to make it appear as if they have low inventory.

I'm pretty new to this board, but have seen a lot of 'slagging off' of the Cayman usually by Boxster owners ?? What's the problem?? Porsche have produced a great drivers car, which is fast, great handling, fun, reasonably practicle, great sounding and Pounds15k cheaper than a 911!!! The problem is that some narrow minded people spend too much time comparing it to the Boxster rather than the 911! Can someone please explain how many thousands of different components the Cayman has to the Boxster!
    There must be a reason why most of worlds top Car Magazines have voted the vehicle 'Performance Car of The Year', beating even the 911! If there's a car in the current Porsche line-up which is worth moaning about on pricing - it's the 911!!

Quote:
    turbokuo said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Quote:
    turbokuo said:
    Quote:
    vtrader said:

Yes, I know all about this....my dealer has a PDI spot/garage near to them.....and they have one Cayman there....a Tiptronic version they use as a demo. There are more 997s there though.

Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:
    As I said before, winter is not the time for sports cars of any make.

And summertime is the time for convertibles... So where's the Caymman's claim?

That is if you even care for a converitble.....for those that don't, summertime will be good for the Cayman also.

Quote:
    MikeN said:That is if you even care for a converitble.....for those that don't, summertime will be good for the Cayman also.

Yeah, I'm sure where you live (AZ), having a convertible in the summer is pretty miserable. Much nicer to have a little shade and lots of A/C

I don't like convertibles in the summer during the day either - they're nice in the warm evenings though (but I'd still choose to buy a coupe)...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:That is if you even care for a converitble.....for those that don't, summertime will be good for the Cayman also.

Yeah, I'm sure where you live (AZ), having a convertible in the summer is pretty miserable. Much nicer to have a little shade and lots of A/C

I don't like convertibles in the summer during the day either - they're nice in the warm evenings though (but I'd still choose to buy a coupe)...

Ya, people think a hot climate is convertible territory....not exactly so unless you like sunburn and cooking at stoplights, but having one at night is very nice.

If I had the $$$ I would own both a Cayman and a Boxster....money just for one?....easy pick was the Cayman.

Quote:
    vanilla said:
    I'm pretty new to this board, but have seen a lot of 'slagging off' of the Cayman usually by Boxster owners ?? What's the problem?? Porsche have produced a great drivers car, which is fast, great handling, fun, reasonably practicle, great sounding and Pounds15k cheaper than a 911!!! The problem is that some narrow minded people spend too much time comparing it to the Boxster rather than the 911! Can someone please explain how many thousands of different components the Cayman has to the Boxster!
    There must be a reason why most of worlds top Car Magazines have voted the vehicle 'Performance Car of The Year', beating even the 911! If there's a car in the current Porsche line-up which is worth moaning about on pricing - it's the 911!!

I have not seen any Boxster owners "slagging off" the Cayman here on Rennteam. I've been accused of it but I say here yet again - I think the Cayman is a great car, no doubt about it. For me personally I like the open top of the Boxster, but that is only my preference, not a criticism. As you quite correctly state it shares a lot of common components to the Boxster and it is, like it or not, A Boxster coupe, yes with a better engine, yes the handling is slightly better primarily due to the stiffer body because of the coupe roof. But the Cayman IS a Boxster coupe, and none the worse for that.

Quote:
    vanilla said:The problem is that some narrow minded people spend too much time comparing it to the Boxster rather than the 911!

Narrow minded? It's a closer match (more in common), so it's the logical comparison! And I have to say that just as much, if not more of the (perceived) down-talk is coming from the 997 end. Stop singling out us Boxster owners! We don't care that a lot of people consider the Boxster the 'girly' Porsche, so why should Cayman owners care about other people's opinions?

What I want to know is how many of the people complaining about the perceived lack of respect for the Cayman have actually purchased, or are awaiting delivery of one?

I for one would like to see more posts on this board along the lines of 'Here's some pictures of my new Cayman! I love it!' or 'My Cayman handles like a dream, anyone want to come out and play?'

Any Cayman owners in our area that want to come out on the next Rennteam South-of-England meet, you are more than welcome!

I agree with wts...let's see more photos of Caymans and hear less whining about how their owners are being persecuted. It is a good car, but we don't all have to like the same things in life.

mcdelaug

Quote:
    vanilla said:

I'm from the 911 group.

I think the Cayman S is a great car. But I feel that it is not a good deal for the money as compared to a Boxster S. My salesman at the local Porsche dealer thought the same way.

By the way, I haven't read any magazine that pick the Cayman S as performance car of the year. I can only remember AUTOCAR picking 997S as 2005 driver's car of the year. Do you mind naming a few magazine that picked the Cayman S?

...boring?

Quote:
    bubblegum said:
    ...boring?

I agree - you are.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    bubblegum said:
    ...boring?

I agree - you are.

I know Dreamcrap why don't you copy and paste the same post and content on every Cayman thread on this forum....oh sorry you've already done that, haven't you.

Don't know how you can be arsed, I really don't

Boxster owners have been accused of being effeminate. The soft top is silly. Posts have been described as "boring" because you don't happen to agree with them. You yourself have used rude, derisory, personal and childish comments at anyone who dares suggest that the Cayman is not the worlds finest car. Now a 911 owner has also dared to criticise the car. What insults are you going to throw at 911 owners?

Oh and by the way, if you re-read my post, I actually praised the Cayman, and did not criticise one aspect of it. I have only ever criticised one thing, the same as mentioned by Targa Tim. - I won't bore you by repeating it.

you guys are so funny, cant stop laughing.

Quote:
    twin turbo said:
    you guys are so funny, cant stop laughing.

We aim to please!

Dreamcrap, I don't think the Cayman is the best sports car in the world or anything like that, I don't even think it's that different from the Boxster when driven round town at a steady pace, never claimed it was. I've just sold a 996 and know the difference between the 911, boxster and the Cayman and am quite happy with them. In fact I'm not even sure I've disagreed with you about the Cayman.. I'm sure you'll troll through some posts though

I'm just really bored of your justification posts regarding the Cayman vs. the Boxster cost debate for what feels like the beginning of time; you just seem to hang around like a bad smell. Popping in now and again to spread exactly the same message as your previous post.

We've all read them in different threads on most of the Cayman section... we get it already...now please for heavens sake please stop posting the same drivel on every thread.....it's so boring. We all know your point of view; we've read it on most of the threads in the last 3 months, even if it wasn't relative to the thread in the first place, its old news........... WE GET IT ALREADY!!!!!

Everyone's entitled his/her own opinion; I just don't want it rammed down my throat constantly on every thread, all your posts consist of the same content time after time......again and again....on and on.

You must be really bored, please find yourself a new vitriol

Quote:
    bubblegum said:
    I'm just really bored of your justification posts regarding the Cayman vs. the Boxster cost debate for what feels like the beginning of time;

Where in this thread did I mention the "Cost Debate"

I love the Cayman, there is an excellent chance I'll go with one in 2-3 years when I'm ready to change from my 987S, but as for the Cayman having legs? I stopped in at my P dealer for service a few weeks ago and talked briefly with a salesperson (left coast USA). I have never seen a car salesman seem more disappointed, not in the car but how it is selling. I think they have sold 1 since the launch, an order, and had 4 or 5 on the lot.

Hmmmm, the whining continues, still no photos...what gives?

mcdelaug

Re: Does the Cayman Have the Legs?

I think it does not have the legs and also think vacuum is going to be low .

I bet P was well aware that there would be a chance of this happening , and were well ready to pratice limited production from the offset..

Jmo ,, fwiw ! ..

throt..

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:

mcdelaug

Why?.....because this Cayman forum is DOA compared to all others....a farce from day one.

As the old saying goes.....You only get one chance to make a good first impression.....and this forum got an F....not even worth the effort to post a photo. Does that pretty much answer your question?

You want photos and many happy owners.....search the web for Cayman S sites.....you will find many of both without a problem.

Quote:
    dr.j said:
    I love the Cayman, there is an excellent chance I'll go with one in 2-3 years when I'm ready to change from my 987S, but as for the Cayman having legs? I stopped in at my P dealer for service a few weeks ago and talked briefly with a salesperson (left coast USA). I have never seen a car salesman seem more disappointed, not in the car but how it is selling. I think they have sold 1 since the launch, an order, and had 4 or 5 on the lot.

I personally know at least 6 dealers around the country that have sold double digit Caymans (including my own).....and have many on order. Some dealers are just duds at selling I guess.

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Quote:
    mcdelaug said:

mcdelaug

Why?.....because this Cayman forum is DOA compared to all others....a farce from day one.

As the old saying goes.....You only get one chance to make a good first impression.....and this forum got an F....not even worth the effort to post a photo. Does that pretty much answer your question?

You want photos and many happy owners.....search the web for Cayman S sites.....you will find many of both without a problem.

I agree, am glad someone's got a brain, Cayman owners are not going to come on here and post anything at all, when every thread turns into a debate about how the Cayman isn't selling (which it clearly is if any of the posters look at other threads and the sales figures) or the Cayman owner having to get embroiled in a boring recycled discussion with 911/Boxster owners who constantly inject with their own insecurities regarding the Cayman.

The big picture is this, the Cayman has had brilliant reviews, the press are raving about it, the sales figures are good(even for this time of year) and time will tell if the Cayman has legs on not, but based on the reviews and recent sales figures I'd say yes without a doubt.

One other thing, don't you not think Porsche have spent millions on finding out what will win and fail in the market place, it's not something Porsche will enter in to lightly, thousands of hours of time and vast sums of money has been spent to makes sure Porsche don't build a car that will fail, seen as Porsche make some of the best cars in the market place and has the highest profit margin of any car maker in the world, I'm inclined to go with their judgement over a few non-believes with nothing better to do than try and justify their own Porsche purchase time after time.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764234 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436440 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261012 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257937 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82626 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876811 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808842 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM