Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New BMW bi-turbo engine for 335i

In Geneva BMW will introduce new bi-turbo engine for 335i(introduction for other models will follow).
    DATA: 3.0L 225kw(302hp)
    400Nm(1500-5800rpm)
    Direct fuel injection
    More on http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/cou...ight-six-engine

Re: New BMW bi-turbo engine for 335i

3.2 liters,6cylinders,2 turbo and only 300hp?? weird... the m3 engine has 3.2liters without turbo's and 343hp...

this is quite likely to leave room for a NA 4.0 V8 M engine....which incidentally with this great engine is not needed!

I agree with dhayek. 100hp/liter (302/3.0) is not impressive for a turbo charged powerplant. I wonder if the various BMW tuners will get more out of it?

mcdelaug

BMW goal was not top power but, excellent throtle response over very wide rev range(7000rpm max!). Power is actually little bit bigger(306hp=225kw) then 302hp. You can compare this engine to VW Golf GTI engine because they use similar technology-turbo charged, direct injection engines... Of course BMW is bi-turbo!

You may complain about the power but look at the impressive torque spread! 400nm between 1500 - 5800 is very flexible.

This is only part of the truth. The new 335i engine will produce 306bhp in the Saloon/Touring but 330bhp in the Coupe. This is to differentiate the saloon and coupe, which will be priced higher.

So the Coupe will have a 330i with 265PS, 335i with 330PS, M3 with 420PS and an M3CSL with a likely 450PS. Seems like a nice range of engines.

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    3.2 liters,6cylinders,2 turbo and only 300hp?? weird... the m3 engine has 3.2liters without turbo's and 343hp...

This engine is a very nice one, I heard a lot of good things about the new BMW DI turbo engine. It won't be the last of it's kind, BMW plans to offer more turbo charged engines.

Quote:
    RC said:This engine is a very nice one, I heard a lot of good things about the new BMW DI turbo engine. It won't be the last of it's kind, BMW plans to offer more turbo charged engines.

That's good news for those of us who live at high altitude where turbos make so much more power than n/a motors. I prefer n/a motors in sportscars, but a nice torquey motor is great for daily driver and touring...

Apparently BMW will be producing a twin sequential turbo of their 4 litre valvetronic V8 (using the same direct injection). This will apparently go in the next X5, but perhaps also the 5 and 6 series. It's supposed to produce a little over 400bhp.

Quote:
    SteveD said:
    Apparently BMW will be producing a twin sequential turbo of their 4 litre valvetronic V8 (using the same direct injection). This will apparently go in the next X5, but perhaps also the 5 and 6 series. It's supposed to produce a little over 400bhp.

Are you sure it's sequential? The biturbo on the inline-6 is one turbo for 3 cylinders each. Seems like a V8 is better suited to this approach (one turbo per bank of cylinders)...

I assume, that this engine's turbo layout is supposed to create the effect of a much bigger n/a-engine, without drawbacks like peaky power delivery, turbo lag, monstrous gas consumption or lacking durability.

This engine will rather be in line with the above mentioned GTI engine or VW's previous 1,8-turbo in its lower hp configurations. Additionally I could imagine that BMW might offer an upgraded engine if one of the model variants is NOT available with the M3 V8.

I'm still surprised they are building a turbo engine after stating so firmly in the recent past that they would stay n/a due to the linear power delivery. I imagine that this engine would have almost no turbo lag due to its sequential set up.

Quote:
    DamienL said:
    I'm still surprised they are building a turbo engine after stating so firmly in the recent past that they would stay n/a due to the linear power delivery. ...

Indeed, but on the other side BMW was one of the pioneers reg. turbocharging (2002 turbo and 745i).

Now one can see why the Cooper S uses a supercharged engine - the engine is derived of the cooperation with DC.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    SteveD said:

Are you sure it's sequential? The biturbo on the inline-6 is one turbo for 3 cylinders each. Seems like a V8 is better suited to this approach (one turbo per bank of cylinders)...

This new Bi-turbo straight six is supposed to be based on BMW's experience with the Bi-turbo diesel engine as fitted to the 535d (producing 272bhp and 419lb/ft). And this 535d engine uses two turbochargers in 'sequence' a smaller one for low revs and then an additional larger turbo for higher revs. BMW's press release, as yet doesn't go into the same level of detail (as they did for the 535d) but I'd be very surprised if they'd adopted a different system.

I'll quote from BMW's 535d press release: Available in either Saloon or Touring variants the car delivers 272bhp and 560Nm of torque courtesy of the variable twin turbocharger arrangement mated to the 3.0-litre engine. In an engine first for a production car, the sequential layout sees a smaller turbo provide maximum performance from idle to low engine speeds - 500Nm of torque at 1,500rpm - but as the revs build a larger turbo helps to further compress the air for a second, seamless boost of power. At higher speeds the engine relies on the larger turbocharger."

This is a awsome bi-turbo engine but, it is not using sequential turbos... Look at the pic, turbos are the same size and it is clear that each turbo charges its own 3 cylinder bank...
    Few words from press release:
    "A further traditional turbo-engine wrinkle has been ironed out by BMW engineers: turbo lag. In the new engine, this has been completely removed, thanks to low inertia turbochargers. The driver need only brush the accelerator pedal to receive an immediate surge of power and performance, as the engine delivers an electrifying response. While turbocharger technology is almost as old as the internal combustion engine itself, in combination with cutting-edge high-precision direct petrol injection technology BMW engineers were able to write a new and exciting chapter in the history of forced-induction.

The foundation for all this power and torque is drawn from the exemplary characteristics of the magnesium-aluminum 3.0-litre engine which is rated at 195 kW/265 hp (as fitted to the BMW 130i and Z4 Roadster). This in itself is quite outstanding for a normally aspirated engine. Compared with the proven 3.0-litre normally aspirated magnesium-aluminium engine, the all-aluminium engine featuring new biturbo technology increases overall output by approximately 15 percent. Peak torque shoots up by an even more impressive 30 percent. The resulting 225 kW/302 hp and 400 Nm of torque deliver outstanding thrust and driving power all the way across the rev range.

The only way to achieve such an increase in power and performance with a normally-aspirated engine would be to significantly increase engine size, which would also mean a corresponding increase in weight and the negative effects on the car's overall balance. The BMW combination of turbocharger technology with high-precision petrol injection is a particularly efficient way to meet even greater demands in terms of output and torque. And for comparison, the new straight-six biturbo weighs about 70 kg less than an approximately equally powerful eight-cylinder normally-aspirated engine displacing 4.0 litres. That is about the same weight as a moderately sized passenger.

Direct petrol injection also offers a significant fuel consumption saving of about 10 percent compared with a similarly powerful turbocharged engine that uses regular fuel injection. Turbines made of high heat-resistant special steel can withstand temperatures of up to 1,050 *C and therefore do not need the cooling effect of extra air flow. Particularly under full load, this means a significant decrease in fuel consumption.

High-precision fuel injection allows an even more exact dosage of fuel as well as a higher compression ratio - ideal conditions for increasing engine efficiency and significantly reducing fuel consumption. All this is made possible by the central position of the piezo-injector between the valves. Fitted in this position, the innovative injector opening to the outside is able to distribute fuel in a conical burst ensuring particularly smooth distribution of fuel within the combustion chamber.

Apart from its low weight and class-leading fuel economy, the new biturbo engine is able to offer yet another unique BMW feature. This is supreme smoothness and refinement, precisely the virtue which has made BMW straight-six power units the benchmark for refined drive technology, acknowledged the world over. Indeed, the natural perfection of the straight-six layout gives the engine perfect balance in terms of free mass forces, avoiding vibrations even at high engine speeds.

A further important point is that this turbocharged version of BMW's six-cylinder comes with the same hollow, extra-light camshafts as on the normally-aspirated engine, as well as an electrically driven coolant pump operating only as required. Developing this new straight-six with biturbo technology, BMW is opening
    up a new chapter in the long history of the turbocharged engine, which dates back to 1905 and the work of Swiss engineer Alfred Büchi."

You might be right.

Here is a picture of BMW's Bi-turbo 'diesel' straight six (which does use the turbos sequentially) and below is a picture of the 'petrol' Bi-turbo for comparison.

Quote:
    DamienL said:
    I'm still surprised they are building a turbo engine after stating so firmly in the recent past that they would stay n/a due to the linear power delivery. I imagine that this engine would have almost no turbo lag due to its sequential set up.

Peak torque between 1500 and 4800 rpm:I don't think NA engines can do that!
    Probably,it's a signe that BMW admits that NA engines aren't suited for normal cars anymore.The torque band is just better nowadays with a turbo.But IMO,NA is still better for sports cars.

I think that turbocharged engines will be superior than NA.They just need to lower the consumption and emissions a bit more.

In the description (link in the first post) it clearly says one turbo for each set of 3 cylinders (not sequential)...

Thanks for pointing that out. I received the original press release in German, so it wasn't so obvious.

magnificent!

Quote:
    DamienL said:

It still isn't even close as "good" as the new 997 Turbo VTG engine. The VTG technology allows an impressive performance since the power/torque/boost distribution can be controlled very precisely, allowing to avoid any kind of lag almost completely and furthermore, to provide the best torque/power/boost level at a defined mapping in the engine blackbox. Look at the impressive performance of the Tiptronic operated 997 Turbo and you'll understand. I wonder how fast other car manufacturers will adapt this technology and if Porsche has some sort of patent on it or if they have just an "exclusive" contract with Borg Warner for a year or two. Time will tell.

BTW: the new bi-turbo charged engine from BMW is perfect for BMW's little SUV X3. Even I am tempted...a nice family car for the city and fast.

Clearly Porsche's new VTG technology is leading edge in terms of engine turbocharging, but there's more to this new 335i engine than just the bi-turbos. It's not terribly exciting from a performance perspective, but nevertheless seems to be a technical advancement.

I'll quote from the press release :

"Introducing a breakthrough technology for lean direct injection of gasoline referred to as High Precision Injection, BMW is setting out to solve the conflict of interests in the next few years between sporting performance and superior fuel economy, moving up to a standard of excellence never seen before. Indeed, High Precision Injection will save up to 10 per cent fuel in the European test cycle and between 5 and 15 per cent under typical customer driving conditions, depending on the route taken and the driver's style of motoring, over and above BMW's VALVETRONIC engines already renowned for their outstanding efficiency. High Precision Injection therefore for the first time offers the full thermodynamic potential direct gasoline injection is able to provide.

So far direct gasoline injection systems have not been able in practice to provide the advantages in fuel economy originally anticipated. The first technical solutions were therefore completely unable to fulfil the demands made by BMW's engineers, which is why in 2001 BMW launched an alternative technology for optimum fuel economy, the Company's throttle-free VALVETRONIC engine load control concept, as a standard technology featured on BMW cars. Proven hundreds of thousands of times in the meantime and now featured worldwide throughout BMW's entire range of models, VALVETRONIC has definitely turned out to be a lasting, sustainable solution.

At the same time BMW has continued to focus carefully and consistently on the development of direct gasoline injection - especially because it was always known that direct gasoline injection had the potential to offer even greater benefits than all alternative technologies. BMW is therefore now becoming the first car maker in the world to offer High Precision Injection as a solution appropriate for large-scale production saving fuel to an extent in practice simply unparalleled by other technologies.
    A particularly important new feature is that BMW's High Precision Injection no longer requires a specific flow of fuel and air in the combustion chamber to provide the right mixture. Rather, BMW's engineers are able to prepare the appropriate mixture by means of a stable, conical configuration of the injection jet entering the combustion chamber, the fuel/air mixture then igniting directly in the area of the injection jet. Precisely this is why experts refer to this technology as jet-guided direct injection as opposed to air- or wall-guided injection. The injection valve configured as a piezo-injector and positioned in the middle between the valves and the spark plug also at the centre of the combustion chamber represented a challenge in the past simply insurmountable, since both temperatures and pressure levels were too high above all within the cylinder head with its confined space.

Now the reward for the great efforts made by BMW's engineers is a very robust combustion process functioning efficiently throughout a wide operating range and therefore far superior to former solutions in the market. Hence, the engine is now able to run on a lean mixture all the way from idle speed to high revs, maintaining a surplus share of air at all times. And precisely this gives the customer significant benefits in terms of fuel economy, marking the big difference between BMW's solution and other concepts in the market allowing lean burn operation only within a small "window".

A further advantage is that High Precision Injection does not call for any compromises in the design of the cylinder head and pistons depriving the car and the driver of the high level of maximum torque and output so typical of BMW.
    Introducing High Precision Injection, BMW is therefore once again proving the Company's leadership in drive technology - especially because it is BMW's philosophy not to introduce innovations merely as a purpose of their own, but rather only when such innovations are appropriate for the brand and therefore offer genuine customer benefits.

BMW High Precision Injection will first be launched in the European markets. Then, with sulphur-free fuel becoming increasingly available as the essential ingredient for this engine with its NOx catalysts, High Precision Injection will also be introduced in other markets one after the other. "

400Nm over such a broad range of rpm is admirable, but why only 302hp? Does it have a very conservative redline? I would be more impressed if someone could provide some fuel consumption data, since the specific power output seems somewhat low for this type of technology, maybe their emphasis was more on efficiency?

mcdelaug

Redline is 7000rpm! This is mid boost bi-turbo engine. Actual power is 306hp(225kw), there will be 330hp version for new 335i coupe later this year...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688496 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408685 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255520 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234765 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65384 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857555 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773336 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM