Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Discuss the Official 997 Turbo Pictures and Info HERE

Stunning pics! I love the car from the side. The front should have been a bit more aggressive, but that's hard to achieve because of the rounded lights. I can't say I like the rear bumper. Looks like a testmule bumper to me, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I saw 1/4 mile times somewhere, has anyone seen them? If so, where are they? Thanks

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Manual of course!

I'll always put driving pleasure before numbers.

EXACTLY!

BTW, have you guys seen the competitions reaction to the launch of the new 911 Turbo?

YEAH!
    Specially from Batistuta and Veron...

Quote:
    twin turbo said:
    cannot believe tip is faster...dont no what to do, dont really like auto,s.....but.....

I just changed my order to tip...

RC, any idea if the US model will ultimately receive the standard Rear "Bumper Nipples"....I would assume the pics we are seeing are the Euro version?

Quote:
    woody77 said:
    RC, any idea if the US model will ultimately receive the standard Rear "Bumper Nipples"....I would assume the pics we are seeing are the Euro version?

Yes...here is the US version.

I'm getting mine this summer( number 2 at dealer )and the performance I'm sure will be greater , but geez, that droopy ends wing and the strake in the intercooler intake is something the 996 Turbo aftermarket has sold since 2001 ... . Only other visual differences are the fog light pimples, oval headlights, different rear bumper cap and the girrly wheels.
    Interior is again like an upgraded Boxster's with two extra gauges.

Efficient but so boring visually - year 2000 all over again.

There is a story about new 997 Turbo in lates issue of German AMS(issue 5/2005)...

can we order tip w/ pccb? I read somewhere you cant...

Yes you can.

RC's quote from ""New 997 Turbo - did Porsche do a good job ?"" thread ,,

Yes, I'll go for Tiptronic. And here's the catch: it may not be possible to get PCCB with Tiptronic because among the first launch cars, only the manuals have PCCB.

""may not"" ?? ..

throt..

You can order it but as i heard too that Porsche doesnt have enough quantities to give to first tiptronic cars...

Quote:
    throt said:
    RC's quote from ""New 997 Turbo - did Porsche do a good job ?"" thread ,,

Yes, I'll go for Tiptronic. And here's the catch: it may not be possible to get PCCB with Tiptronic because among the first launch cars, only the manuals have PCCB.

""may not"" ?? ..

throt..

Launch cars, and first cars will definetely be launch cars because dealers didn't have the time, chance, whatever to specify cars from available options for each customer (not to speak about the financial advantage there might exist to get a launch car as a dealer), will definetely be limited in their options. From what I heard, PCCB will be mostly limited to one transmission type only but I don't remember which one. Again: this seems to be valid only for launch cars and this isn't 100% confirmed yet.

I am relieved I do not plan to get a TT now... I would want the manual, but would be soo tempted by the better performance of the tip....

B the time I will consider a TT, PDK will be available...

The car looks fantastic...

Just remember all the bad comments when the early spy pics came out....and now, most people think the car looks great , human nature is funny

I swore that I would never drive a torque sapping tip after experiencing the dual clutch tip in an Audi TT but these performance numbers do change my mind somewhat. I'm a lover of autos as it makes driving about cities SO easy, but have previously been put off because of the performance aspect.

Can someone explain how it is possible for the tip to be so much quicker?

thumbs up! the car looks lovely ,specially in black,performance figures are amazing. i would go for tip.. i am sure that manual box sales will drop crazy. they are so good to make you pay more...

Here guys, you might like to look at this. 997 TT order guide. can't wait to have my TT, april build car for me!

http://www.noexception.net/porsche/997_TURBO_ENGL_2005_12_20_FINAL.pdf

Thanks, What color did you pick?

I hope this wasn't posted already.

Official statement on turbo tech and manual vs. tip controversy:

VTG AND TIPTRONIC S vs. 6-SPEED POSITION STATEMENTS

Below is background information and position statements on two issues that have arisen with the recent announcement of the specifications for the 2007 911 Turbo. The first issue deals with claims of the Turbo's variable turbine geometry (VTG) not being the first application of this technology in a production gasoline engine. The second with the superior standing start acceleration figures produced by the optional 5-speed Tiptronic S automatic transmission in relation to the standard 6-speed manual transmission.

VARIABLE TURBINE GEOMETRY (VTG) BACKGROUND

Is the 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo the first gasoline-powered vehicle to incorporate variable turbine geometry?

Porsche's variable turbine geometry (VTG) setup on the 2007 911 Turbo was developed in close cooperation with Borg Warner Turbo Systems, and is based on technology that has been widely and successfully applied to diesel engines since the early 1990s. It is nearly identical in concept to other turbo manufacturers' variable nozzle/geometry compressors, including a system that was briefly used on a series gasoline production engine in the late 1980s. This application encountered difficulties due to high operating temperatures---a problem not easily solved with contemporary materials---and production was stopped after a limited run.

After nearly two decades, aerospace-grade materials have allowed the progression of variable turbine geometry technology to the point that it can now reliably operate in the higher-temperature environment of turbocharged gasoline engines. Porsche's version of variable turbine geometry in the 2007 911 Turbo incorporates these latest material applications, plus a sophisticated control algorithm. The combination produces the advantages of both small and large turbochargers, generating a much wider plateau of torque and providing quicker response compared to the previous generation 911 Turbo, while providing the reliability of fixed-vane turbochargers.

VARIABLE TURBINE GEOMETRY POSITION STATEMENT
    The variable turbine geometry (VTG) system on the 2007 911 Turbo was developed in close cooperation with Borg Warner Turbo Systems, and is based on widely and successfully applied turbodiesel technology. While nearly identical in concept to a system briefly used on gasoline production engines in the late 1980s, Porsche's current application of VTG is the first on a gasoline-powered vehicle.
    TIPTRONIC S VS. 6-SPEED MANUAL BACKGROUND

Why does the 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo equipped with the optional 5-speed Tiptronic S automatic transmission accelerate 0.3 seconds faster to 60 mph than the 6-speed manual transmission version?

The optimized interaction between the new all-wheel-drive system, Porsche Traction Management (PTM), Tiptronic S five-speed automatic transmission, and Tiptronic-specific calibration of the engine management controls and associated variable turbine geometry (VTG) system, allows the new 911 Turbo with Tiptronic S to accelerate slightly quicker than models equipped with the manual 6-speed transmission.

Improvements to the Tiptronic S transmission in the latest 911 Turbo contribute to the performance gains. These include:

Earlier ramp-up of boost pressure when 'brake-torquing' the transmission
    Increased torque build-up allowed when brake-torquing
    Reduced shifting- and reaction times

If launched appropriately, a 911 Turbo equipped with Tiptronic S is essentially "pre-tensioned" at the starting line, and during acceleration runs, power-interruptions are reduced in comparison to the 6-speed manual transmission. Aiding acceleration, when paired with Tiptronic S, the all-wheel-drive system with PTM can deliver a nearly uninterrupted flow of torque to all four wheels.

With the manual transmission, engine boost pressure needs to build after clutch engagement, which can require several fractions of a second. Additionally, clutch- and wheel-slip when launching from a standstill can also make it difficult to translate engine torque into the quickest acceleration times.

In terms of providing performance to our customers, the Tiptronic S transmission has made the prodigious abilities of the 911 Turbo more accessible to a wider range of customers. In its evolution, the Tiptronic S now provides certain areas of strength in relation to the 6-speed manual, particularly in standing start acceleration numbers, an area of quantified performance that grows more challenging as peak horsepower levels continue to escalate. For those wishing to challenge themselves on a racetrack, and who prefer the control and selection of the 6-speed, the manual gearbox will remain the transmission of choice.

TIP VS. 6-SPEED POSITION STATEMENT
    Due to the new variable turbine geometry (VTG) system and improved engine control technology, in addition to mechanical and electronic improvements in the Tiptronic S gearbox, the Tiptronic version of the 2007 911 Turbo accelerates 0.3 seconds faster to 0-60 mph compared to the manual transmission version.

Quote:
    faterikcartman said:
    The optimized interaction between the new all-wheel-drive system, Porsche Traction Management (PTM), Tiptronic S five-speed automatic transmission, and Tiptronic-specific calibration of the engine management controls and associated variable turbine geometry (VTG) system, allows the new 911 Turbo with Tiptronic S to accelerate slightly quicker than models equipped with the manual 6-speed transmission.

Damn. RC hit this one right on the nose.

Thanks Erik for this info.

"For those wishing to challenge themselves on a racetrack, and who prefer the control and selection of the 6-speed, the manual gearbox will remain the transmission of choice."
    Thanks Erik. Now, we all know what gearbox is for track use and ultimate control and pleasure-manual with optional LSD!
    Maximum straight line performance-TIP, of course!

So I guess the next question is: has Porsche always used the brake torquing method to achieve their acceleration times?

Also, I would think that PTM would aid both tip and manual.

I still will get the manual.

I am with you Alan, manual(with LSD) is the way to go!
    Now, let's wait for first tests in german mags(Sport Auto)...

great find... Thanks...im glad I ordered tip now....

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    So I guess the next question is: has Porsche always used the brake torquing method to achieve their acceleration times?

.... and the question after next is: .... or does it only really work that effectively with VTG turbochargers?

I don't mean to be redundant, but optional LSD, will only truely be appreciated at extreme cornering speeds, and even then only a minimal improvement over a non-equipped 997tt. Would that be a fairly correct statement?

Quote:
    devo said:
    I don't mean to be redundant, but optional LSD, will only truely be appreciated at extreme cornering speeds, and even then only a minimal improvement over a non-equipped 997tt. Would that be a fairly correct statement?

Since one doesn't buy a 911 Turbo to trolley around at 50 mph, I'd say this is very relevant.

Quote:
    devo said:

I'd say, yes, extreme cornering speeds and extreme application of the brakes at corner entry. Also, under extreme extensions of your right leg on the right pedal (even if not traveling that fast at the time).

No, I don't think the difference would be too subtle during those events...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776957 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441614 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262738 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85147 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5538 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880593 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815781 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM