Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Please explain how to adjust Bose sound optimally

You got fader, balance, bass, treble. The little diagrams are nice aids.

What do you do? Just adjust everything so you feel *centered* in the car? Or, because the front of the car speakers sound tweetier and the back sound base-er do you adjust differently for everykind of music?

I spent about ten minutes waiting for someone and playing with it all sorts of ways and I concluded there's gotta be something I might not be comprehending. Any clues would be appreciated.

I also realized I'm terribly spoiled by my home system, the Bose isn't that great (unless I'm adjusting wrongly or un-optimally). HELP!

Re: Please explain how to adjust Bose sound optimally

You can also adjust the optimized location for center/left/right. I find that one setting doesn't work for different types of music.

And then do you turn Surround Sound on or off??

And what about the Audio-Pilot??

There really is no set way. The best advise is to set the system to what sounds best to you. It will all depend on your type of music. The only way to find what is best is to listen to the system as you make adjustments. After a bit you will find a setting that you like. Good luck.

turn the surround sound way down. leave it down and revisit it in a few days. you won't turn it back up

FWIW, here's how I've set mine:

Bass -1
    Treble +7
    Fader -2
    Surround On
    Set +7

But......I really don't listen that much as I like the sound of the car so much! And personally, I'd like them to have some mid range tonal adjustments as well.

No wonder you don't like the sound, your bass is too low and treb too high.
    Anyway your settings also depends alot on the music your listening to, i peronally have alot of house,
    dance and other high energy tunes on most of the time, and set b+t at +5 or so. I only turn the base down
    when i want to chill to jack johnson, colplay or such, but never the treb up cause high treb disturbs my ears.
    Anywho i think the bose is different in the cab cause of the missing rear speakers, and i've never heard it in the coupe.

I just came from a drive, bass +3, treble+2 did the trick

Keep the back seats folded down. It makes a difference!

I've given up with the Bose system --- I either end up going -3B, Flat Treb, Fad/Bal 0, Sur Mid on Jazz vocals, then end up going back to 0B, +2T, Fad/Bal0, Sur Low on classical pieces...I just leave it flat, and if I don't like what I hear I shut it off and listen to the engine.

Maybe it's the kind of music you play on it. I find myself needing to tweek from CD to CD, depending on production of the material. But my Bose seems to sound real nice with my loud, bassy, hard-core grunge, and my texas blues. Most of the music I like is fairly "meaty", so I crank the Bass to +5, and the treble to +3, and leave the surround sound off (it seems to just muddle the music), and I'm golden. Maybe it's just me, but with such a legacy of lousy factory audio, I'm happy it's as good as it is. "Good enough" sure beats "just flat crappy" anyday.

I turn off the surround and the audio pilot as well. Do you really need these things in a car as small as a 911? I always play with the bass and treble setting depending of what music I'm listening to.

I tend to listen -1 bass, 0 treble, audio pilot on, and surround -6.....The problem with the surround, is that if you turn it up, you get a very wide soundstage (it makes the car feel 20 ft wide), but you loose all the vocal imaging, and since the car has a center fill speaker, it's a shame to do that.

Here's the way I do it
    Find a well recorded cd, with music that has a full dynamic range without overblown bass.....so put away Kayne West Goldigger 'cos it ain't going to work with that! Any of these will do, Annie Lennox, Fleetwood Mac, Coldplay, Seal, Keith Urban, Santana etc.

Make everything neutral, no audio pilot, no suround etc. Close your eyes and you should be able to hear the main vocal singer sitting in the center of your dash, switch on audiopilot, and surround, and turn the surround all the way to the min setting (minus whatever)....very slowly increase the surround setting to the last point where you can still visualise the singer's vocals in the center of the dash. This will give you max soundstage whilst still maintaining correct imaging.....I really find it helpfull to close your eyes and point to where you hear the vocals and instruments etc.....If you go too far it'll be like 69bossnine said 'muddled' you won't be able to tell where the vocals are, they'll seem like they are everywhere.

Adjusting bass and treble, is a lot more subjective...The best approach is to make everything as smooth as possible, If you apply too much bass, you'll loose the mid bass and the sound will be bright vocals and heavy thud with nothing much in the middle, the detail of the music will dissapear. Apply too much treble and you'll introduce listening fatigue...you'll want to turn the music off, and if you're slightly tired it'll give you a headache...a smooth balance is best. Final tip regarding the bass...make it a little stronger than balanced when you initially set up (with engine off/stationary) because when you drive, the road noise/engine will remove the extra bass you dialed in.

To adjust balance find a track with a classical (non electric guitar) solo....It has too be a single guitar....If your balance is out, it'll sound like there are 2 guitars (due to the different time it takes for the sound from the left & right speaker to reach you) the dsp should compensate for your 'unnatural' (too far left) listening position and compensate for it, so it should need minimal adjustment.

Fader adjustment is also a balance, too far back and the music will be 'pushed' from behind you, too far forward and the music will sound 'thin'.

You'll have to go back and do the entire above procedure a couple of times as the controls inter-relate to one another.....

Even after you've done all this you'll still have to make adjustments on individual cd's to compensate for differences in source material, but this will give you the 'best fit' for most music

BTW don't spend too long at any one time trying to do the above, because your ears adjust and you won't be able to correctly distinguish the various adjustments, also don't try setting up with the music too loud as this has an impact on your ears' ability to 'finely' tune

Sorry for the long post...but you did ask!

Quote:
    jfraser said:
    I really find it helpfull to close your eyes and point to where you hear the vocals and instruments etc.....

Tried closing my eyes, but unfortunately went through a red light, killed two pedestrians and one dog.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    jfraser said:
    I really find it helpfull to close your eyes and point to where you hear the vocals and instruments etc.....

Tried closing my eyes, but unfortunately went through a red light, killed two pedestrians and one dog.

LOL LOL LOL! I know, not supposed to be THAT funny, but I was primed for some absurd humor! Nice work! Thanks!

When I close my eyes, I see little red midgets jumping around with pitch-forks, Osama Bin Laden tonque-kissing Tammy Faye Baker, and Captain Kangaroo chopping up Grandfather Clock with an axe, pouring gas on the rubble, and tossing a match onto the heap..... While Andy Taylor and the Darling Family play Helter Skelter on guitar, jug, and gut-bucket, while Aunt Bea belts out the lyrics naked, and Opie moshes with Otis and Floyd the barber.....

It makes it a bit tough to delicately balance my Bose soundsystem...

@69bossnine

... no more drugs please ......

Gregor

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    When I close my eyes, I see little red midgets jumping around with pitch-forks, Osama Bin Laden tonque-kissing Tammy Faye Baker, and Captain Kangaroo chopping up Grandfather Clock with an axe, pouring gas on the rubble, and tossing a match onto the heap..... While Andy Taylor and the Darling Family play Helter Skelter on guitar, jug, and gut-bucket, while Aunt Bea belts out the lyrics naked, and Opie moshes with Otis and Floyd the barber.....

It makes it a bit tough to delicately balance my Bose soundsystem...

At this point is your license plate rattling from the bass ?

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    jfraser said:

Awww... Poor dog!

jfraser: Good post. I would add/agree that it's easier to tune things when listening to a solo natural instrument, rather than an overproduced synth recording. I like piano. Everyone knows what a piano is supposed to sound like!

Does anyone have any good experience with AudioPilot? I can't hear that it makes much difference at all!

Turn off all the effects - ie switch off Audiopilot and Surround. They are just Bose tricks IMO and do nothing to improve the sound.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689846 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409377 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255814 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235042 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65562 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858133 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774233 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM