Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Clear Bra Recommandation. Help

Will have mine done next week. I am kind of cold feeted. I know this subjust has been discussed a lot. Need recommandation, comments to help me decide whether to go with it or not. Please help.

Re: Clear Bra Recommandation. Help

I didn't have mine done for a number of reasons. First, the cost is quite high. Second, I don't think you can avoid a dirt line where the bra stops. On my car the protective plastic in front of rear wheel has a permanent outline of road grim that is very noticeable from up close and I only have 3000 miles on the car and drive it in only in clear weather and good roads. And what about the road debris that does not fit into the definition of debris that the bra will protect against? Following all the damn SUV's on the road and the crap that they throw up definitely has the potential to not only damage the bra but also your paint. So now you have a cut or blemish in your bra!! Now what?

Touch up paint and some of the detail kits out there can make many chips and scratches disappear. The edge of my clear strip in front of my rear wheels is already showing some wear and I am botherred by that so I don't need to exacerbate the problem by applying more clear on other parts of my car!!!!

Quote:
    red911 said:
    Touch up paint and some of the detail kits out there can make many chips and scratches disappear. The edge of my clear strip in front of my rear wheels is already showing some wear and I am botherred by that so I don't need to exacerbate the problem by applying more clear on other parts of my car!!!!

I was able to used touch up paint sucessfully on my guards red 996. I have tried to touch up my artic silver 997S and it looks horrible. I talked to several detailers and they all said that is it near impossible to do a good touch up job with metallic colors. So, I got a clear bra when my car was a week old. I have no dirt line and from 10 feet or more away from the car, the bra is invisible. And it does protect MUCH better than just paint. Things would have chipped the paint will bounce off the film without any damage. Nothing can protect you from everything, but the film can protect you from 95% of the things you normally come in contact with.

I would rather be faced with some day removing damaged film that have to re-paint the nose of my car.

Just my experience with the film........and you shouldn't compare the aftermarket film with the awful film that Porsche uses on the rear fenders.

Phil

Red911, did you wax the clear protective plastic in front of the rear wheel. My understanding is you need to treat the clear bra the same way you treat the rest of the car. The reason I consider the clear bra is I got a small rock chip on my hood at 300 miles. I got 700 miles on it now and you can tell very clear there are little here and there on the front bumper. I plan to drive the car on a daily basis and I can't imagine how it looks like after 10,000 miles. Any comments out there on this issue.

I have not seen Sam's work in real life. Just all the pictures and comments posted all over the internet. But I'll tell you my experience with him.
    I had my car for about 3000 miles. There are so many chips on the bumper and the hood, it is sad. Our car sits so low that some of the chips are at the middle of my hood. Mind you, I travel on 680 at speed a little higher than limit. So I called Sam and made an appointment to have him install the clear bar.
    I met him at my driveway and he seemed such a nice guy. While we talked, his helper was cleaning the car and taking apart the lens etc. Sam inspected my car and found extra scratch marks on the fender that he cannot touch up. Rather than doing a half ass job, he actually recommended me to take care of the paint first. He did not mind the wasted trip, reinstalled all the parts and had my best interest at heart. I was really impressed.
    I have decided to do it right and the car is with a body shop now.
    I will definitely ask him back to install the clear bar when my car is ready.
    I just can't imagine that I have to wait a month before I can have Sam back. I know I'll go nuts seeing my car in the garage but won't dare to take it out after spending all the money on the paint job and before the bar.

Are you doing the full hood? full fender?

Yes, I am going to do the full hood and full fender. Furthermore, I will have Sam to do the full detailing, polishing before the clear bar installation. I will post some pic as soon as I got it done next week. I can feel the pain from you on those rock chip. I got only 700 mile on mine and I got a little rock chip at 300 miles and a couple of little rock scratch on the bumper. That is the main reason I decide to do the clear bra. I drive on 280/101 every day and do face those big truck on the freeway.

PS CA, I can agree more.

Are you referring to Premier from northern CA?

Yes

Any experience with Premier in Bay Area???

I briefly considered a clear bra, however, decided not to do it. I bought a speed lingerie bra which is colored mateched perfectly to your color. The bra looks beautiful and cool Everyone that sees it compliments it. Most people don't even know it's on the car. Speed rated to 150 mph. The website doesn't do it justice. trust me the bra is the best and I hate the typical black bra stuff like Lebra etc...
    Consider this: a clear bra has to be perfectly applied in a perfect environment -never happen,; even if it did the clear stuff shows marks and does not do the beautiful P paint justice. The Speed Lingerie bra actually gives the 997 a more aggresive look, because the facia openings are more enhanced and covered with a black mesh. Crest is visible and driving lights are protected.
    I prefer driving with the bra for the obvious protection, better than 3m film, but also because of how the car looks.

Devo,

Do you have any pics that you can post?

Thanks,

Bob

devo, Sorry to say that I do not like the traditional bra. It is a lot of work to put it on and off. On top of it, you should not keep it on when it is raining cause it will build up moisture under the bra.

Anyone has any experience with Premier in Bay Area??? Good or bad please.

I can try to post some pictures. You can view some at their website; Speedlingerie.com. I don't think that their pictures actually do the bra justice.
    Yes, you do have do take it off when it rains and when you wash it. I would say both have some compromises. I would rather remove it when I wash the car, then have the film installed. Personal choice.
    I would recommend talking to Richard at Speedlingerie. He's very accomodating.
    My biggest issues with the clear bra are the application, (I haven't seen one yet that doesn't have quite a few imperfections around the tight coners of the facia.) how the paint looks and that the clear stuff does get dinged too. I been told by the installer that the film can be removed; a fair amount of time required. Just a note; the installer also said that he can not guarantee the removal for any paint other than factory paint. I personnally don't want to replace it after a few years.
    I would strongly consider the clear film if I drove the car as my first ride (i.e. all the time.) I reside in N.Y. and store my car for the winters. I will drive in the rain, however, will avoid it if possible. These are things to consider. Life would be easier with a clear bra for a DAILY DRIVER with the aforementioned caveats considered.
    I couldn't decide between the two for the longest time because I also hate traditional bras for the obvious reasons. I can say that I am very anal about my car and I love this bra. I have ordered a 997TT and have already talked to Richard about the bra. I will have this bra on this car.

Quote:
    Stephenkng said:

Stephen, if you ever want a clear bra installer that many consider the best and provides service unlike any other,...then you definitely want to go with Premier. Check out some of the exotics in their gallery: www.premiermobilegroup.com. I found them through rennlist and ferrarichat, and I've never seen so many people recommend them, including me. I had my gt3 and 360 done with their custom signature wrap, and it is perfect. They hid the seams wherever possible, so that you don't even get any seams at all. People are always amazed when I tell them that there is a clear bra on my cars. On my gt, I had the bumper, entire hood, and entire fender covered. The work is absolutely perfect.

Personally, I'd have to disagree with the comments with the speedlingerie bra. I've had it before, and although they try to color match, there is definitely a difference in color. Not to mention it's dull look. I tried it once, and after one cross country drive, I found that debris had caught underneath it somehow and got my bumper scratched. I've also seen many that had it removed some years later only to find a two tone effect because it blocks off uv rays. IMO, I'm very much prefer the clear bra if you can find an installer to do it well.

GTKnight, thanks for your insight and the reconfirming the quality work Premier has done. Do you have any problem with the discolor on the film at all. However long do you have the clear bra installed. Thanks again for your input.

Stephen, no prob. I've had it on my the 360 longer than I've had it on the GT3(almost 4yrs), but no prob with discoloring or anything else. One of the white GT3s on their gallery actually belongs to me. After getting the clear bra by Premier, I truely appreciate the skill that goes into making this the bra look good. I've had some bad experiences with some other comapanies before, so I'd have to say that the installation is really the key. The Premier guys really are the best around.

I went onto the website and the lingerie bra is quite a step up from the old black vinyl bra's of the past. The cost is quite high but I personally would opt for that over the clear bra. The reasons are the clear bra does somewhat distort the natural luster of the paint, the clear bra is expensive, clear bra intoxication (overuse), potential discoloration, the clear bra can also be damaged, dirt lines where the bra ends, removal may leave paint damaged and may not allow the paint to "breathe". I have three other cars so my car is not a daily driver and is stored in winter and I avoid bad weather if possible so removal is a hassle but certainly not a big problem.

Devo, I would still like to see some pics if available.

Bob, I will try to get some pics for you. It might take me a little bit as I have to admit I'm not that computer savy. I have a silver bra on my artic silver 997S.
    Thanks, Chris.

Quote:
    red911 said:
    I went onto the website and the lingerie bra is quite a step up from the old black vinyl bra's of the past. The cost is quite high but I personally would opt for that over the clear bra. The reasons are the clear bra does somewhat distort the natural luster of the paint, the clear bra is expensive, clear bra intoxication (overuse), potential discoloration, the clear bra can also be damaged, dirt lines where the bra ends, removal may leave paint damaged and may not allow the paint to "breathe". I have three other cars so my car is not a daily driver and is stored in winter and I avoid bad weather if possible so removal is a hassle but certainly not a big problem.

Even if everything you say is true (and I take issue with some of them).......the biggest difference is the clear bra is essentially invisible. The Speed Lingerie bra is very visible even though it is the same color. So I look at the clear bra as providing protection without changing the look of the car, while any fabric/vinyl bra whether colored or not changes the appearance of the car. And the issue of not being able to use in the rain is important. What if you are caught out in a sudden storm? You have to remove it. What is protecting for you the rest of the trip. I find that the rain sometimes loosens things on the surface of the road and the potential for damage from objects is just as bad in the rain as on a dry day.

As long as I have had clear bras I have never yet had an object that penetrated it to damage the surface below. I have also not had to replace the film because it was too damaged. I had even suffered some significant scuffs that I am sure would have damaged the paint that were able to be wiped off the film.

Just my experiences.....

Phil

I agree with much of what you said. If I was able to see some real quality work then I may reconsider, however, I would still have to decide between the somewhat lack of luster look of film and the issues with water and the bra.
    I live in central NY. Unfortunately I haven't seen quality work with the film. Some say they can provide that level of work here, however, I have not as of yet seen it. I can't be the guinea pig.
    If I lived near Premier or others that supposedly do great work then I would have one less issue with clear. You are right when it rains it sucks because you do have to take it off and drive home. I do not drive much in the rain, but it happens.
    I found my pictures and am working on posting them. With my silver it looks great. It is a subjective thing, but decide for yourself once I figure out how to post them.

Quote:
    GTknight said:
    Quote:
    Stephenkng said:

Stephen, if you ever want a clear bra installer that many consider the best and provides service unlike any other,...then you definitely want to go with Premier. Check out some of the exotics in their gallery: www.premiermobilegroup.com. I found them through rennlist and ferrarichat, and I've never seen so many people recommend them, including me. I had my gt3 and 360 done with their custom signature wrap, and it is perfect. They hid the seams wherever possible, so that you don't even get any seams at all. People are always amazed when I tell them that there is a clear bra on my cars. On my gt, I had the bumper, entire hood, and entire fender covered. The work is absolutely perfect.

Personally, I'd have to disagree with the comments with the speedlingerie bra. I've had it before, and although they try to color match, there is definitely a difference in color. Not to mention it's dull look. I tried it once, and after one cross country drive, I found that debris had caught underneath it somehow and got my bumper scratched. I've also seen many that had it removed some years later only to find a two tone effect because it blocks off uv rays. IMO, I'm very much prefer the clear bra if you can find an installer to do it well.

Do Premier operate in the UK by any chance?

Premier does tour. You may contact them. If there is enough interest, I am sure Sam will travel to UK. Contact them at www.premiermobilegroup.com

Their work does look great. Too bad they aren't near NY.

Here is one photo, more to come.

and another;

Stephen, Red911: Here's three images. Hope they help.

Thanks for the pics. I run a front license plate. Is there a slit for the plate? Bra is definitely a BIG step over the old black bras. I only use bras on trips and not every time I drive the car. So I think it would serve my purpose fairly well. What do you estimate the time to install and remove? Does it have its own container and how much space does it take up if you wanted to pack it? Is it a one or two person job to install?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob, There is an optional front license plate holder. It costs about $50.00 and attaches with two snaps, which are permantently attached to the front of the bra. Unfortunately, you do see the snaps; they're not too bad though.
    The bra goes on and off rather easily once it's broken in. (The first time is very time consuming and is a two man job.) After that it is definately a one person job. Two- three minutes. The bra does fold up, just be careful, it will leave some creases on the bra if it's left that way too long. Mine fits in my front compartment easily.
    By the way, you're car looks great. Wheels look fantastic.
    Thanks, Chris

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689257 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409060 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255682 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234933 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65489 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857866 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773861 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM