Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What I would like to see improved on the 987

• lockable fuel cap or improved security on the available lid (why make it so easy to ruin my engine?)
    • sports chrono optionally with stop watch or without (hate the wart but love the throttle response)
    • sports chrono and pasm choices to be preserved when turning car off and on again (why do I always have to press the same buttons in the morning?)
    • PCM settings/volume to be preserved too (e.g. radio on mute) when turning the car off and on
    • SatNav to support 7 digit post code search in the UK
    • PCM 2.0 to be software-upgradeable with MP3 capability
    • foldable key (Audi style)
    • improved audio quality (e.g. of the Bose system, which exhibits a brutal bass increase everytime I open the top)
    • climate automatic to be included in the standard option set

Re: What I would like to see improved on the 987

Quote:
    Ente said:

• lockable fuel cap or improved security on the available lid (why make it so easy to ruin my engine?)
    • sports chrono optionally with stop watch or without (hate the wart but love the throttle response)
    • sports chrono and pasm choices to be preserved when turning car off and on again (why do I always have to press the same buttons in the morning?)
    • PCM settings/volume to be preserved too (e.g. radio on mute) when turning the car off and on
    • SatNav to support 7 digit post code search in the UK
    • PCM 2.0 to be software-upgradeable with MP3 capability
    • foldable key (Audi style)
    • improved audio quality (e.g. of the Bose system, which exhibits a brutal bass increase everytime I open the top)
    • climate automatic to be included in the standard option set

* plug in I=Pod capability - BMW do it!
    * whatever happened to decent horns - that unsurpassable screech of pukka Fiamm air horns!
    * Proper aluminium trim - someone show them an Audi - instead of that revolting cheap feeling plastic imitation cr@p.
    * Availability of Audi / VW style double clutch automated manual transmission with flappy paddles (although I'd probably stay with a manual) instead of that ghastly tiptronic.

I agree with all your points and would like to add two items:

As the price gap Boxster/Boxster S is very similar compared to 997 /997 S it would be nice if PASM and Xenons would be stock (like in the 997 S) - I know, just wishful thinking...

What I am defintely missing is an oiltemp gauge

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    I agree with all your points and would like to add two items:

As the price gap Boxster/Boxster S is very similar compared to 997 /997 S it would be nice if PASM and Xenons would be stock (like in the 997 S) - I know, just wishful thinking...

What I am defintely missing is an oiltemp gauge

Oh yes - and an exhaust that doesn't look like it came off a Vauxhall Astra / Vectra. And a sports exhaust option.

Dreamcar, the old style horns are no longer legal as per EU
    bureaucrats. You can still get them. Its a easy bit of work to swap them out for the horns from a 993.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Dreamcar, the old style horns are no longer legal as per EU
    bureaucrats. You can still get them. Its a easy bit of work to swap them out for the horns from a 993.

Don't Ferrari still fit them? The last Ferrari I drove was a 355 and that definitely had the "GET OUT OF MY WAY" air horns!

Frankly I'm glad PASM isn't standard on the S, unles they were to offer a conventional suspension (+LSD?) as a no cost option.

mcdelaug

Yes, of course - that's what I've meant. Suspension choice is a very individual thing.

A NEW key that shows the value of the car we're driving!

Can we get a sound system from a higher end maker -- maybe a little Lexicon, McIntosh, or Classe? Not Blose!

Better, Folding key
    better info on the computer - I miss the journey timer from my Golf for instance.
    MP3+DAB head unit on CD-24
    Proper storage slot for the manual in the glove box

Not a great deal, I have to say.

Faster refresh time on the digital speed readout?
    Single point of entry? (So you unlock the car and it only opens the driver's door on the first click, then the rest of the car on the second click)
    The accent lighting is a little *too* subtle. (The light that shines down on the dash, and in the door handles)
    Ability to set the time-out on the 'home' lights without visiting the dealer.

- Non-rattling windstop
    - Cayman S engine (why not, eh?)
    - More of the options as standard equipment (in other words, less pricey options I guess)
    - A non-crappy stereo
    - Lumbar support in standard seats
    - oil pressure/oil temp gauges
    - Sport button without Stupid Chrono

I also wish we had a better info display. Why can't it briefly show me the CD track/radio station I've just selected and then return to whatever standard display items I've chosen? Silly.

BTW, AJ, I've booked with Reus Audio. They'll be doing audio enhancements on my car soon--it'll be the first 987 they've done and from what I heard in the 997 Cabrio they were working on at the shop, it's going to be amazing.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Can we get a sound system from a higher end maker -- maybe a little Lexicon, McIntosh, or Classe? Not Blose!

Yeah even the new Passat's Dynaudio system is superior in terms of clarity. They should employ a more prestigious firm like Linn for Aston Martin.

The key is very annoying - you have to be very careful not to accidently open the front or rear trunk or unlock the doors - the buttons should be flush and not protrude out which I think is part of the problem. By the way, when I press the lock/unlock key once BOTH driver and passenger doors are unlocked - maybe this is something that can be reprogrammed at your dealer.

I like the sound of the engine but a little more volume wouldn't hurt but I don't want to pay a premium for it sport exhaust as no charge option yeah right

performance options should be standard in a performance car.

Quote:
    Louis said:By the way, when I press the lock/unlock key once BOTH driver and passenger doors are unlocked - maybe this is something that can be reprogrammed at your dealer.

I know! That's how mine works. Often cars open only the drivers door on first click to prevent some unknown jumping in beside you - security feature I think. It's often referred to as 'Single point of entry'.

Pretty happy with mine only a few minor changes for me...

Change the anoying inernal door handles... Feel very cheap and I hate having to pull it twice to open!!!

Key is rubbish!

Better stereo options

IPODIPODIPODIPODIPODIPOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
    RichJ said:

IPODIPODIPODIPODIPODIPOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup I 2nd that!

Agree on the accent lighting being too subtle and the missing lumbar support (esp. in the sports seats). Another one:

I'd like to get an audible lock confirmation since I'm not patient enough to stand and wait to count the light flashes, and/or a separate lock and unlock button. I usually walk away and press the button at the same time, and never know whether the car is now locked or not.

Quote:
    Ente said:a separate lock and unlock button. I usually walk away and press the button at the same time, and never know whether the car is now locked or not.

Good call!

Quote:
    RichJ said:and I hate having to pull it twice to open!!!

Does your car auto-lock over 5mph? You can get the dealer to de-activate this if you like. Then you wouldn't have to pull the handle twice.

It does auto lock.. but I quite like that, especially for when girly takes my car.

But having to pull the handle, and then pull it again sucks!!! I know you can just press the unlock button on the dash and I normally do this... But when you get someone new in the car and they try and get out they just pull and pull on the handle!!!! Arrrghhhh... suprised my door handles havnt been ripped off yet!

Better key - even revert back to the 986 one that wasn't brilliant, but better

Power socket in the centre console - where its actually of use

3 settings for PASM - sport too hard for my local roads

Be able to watch DVD or TV with PCM

- Bring back the non-smoking package for the center console
    - iPod integration w/PCM display
    - Sport Chrono w/Chrono "Wart" delete

Quote:
    derder said:

I think that is illegal in most of the US, at least while the vehicle is moving. Don't know about Australia. The concept is to keep the driver from having an inviting distraction available when he/she should be attending to the task ahead of them.

Quote:
    derder said:

No, sorry, can't agree with that one. Would you sit in your car in the garage / car park long enough to watch a DVD? I am sure you are not suggesting that you watch TV / DVD whilst driving!

iPod integration definitely
    seat belt alarm "custumizable"
    less bulky key - it sometimes opens my trunks if in my jeans pocket whilst running around the house

Quote:
    percymon said:Power socket in the centre console - where its actually of use

3 settings for PASM - sport too hard for my local roads

Agree with the PASM - would be good to have a display option so you could see what setting the computer had set it to (within the sport/normal range envelopes)

I have 2x 12v sockets in centre console (one in the cubby box, and one that flips out with cigarette lighter in) and one in the passenger fool well.... don't you have all these?

Quote:
    wtsnet said:

I have 2x 12v sockets in centre console (one in the cubby box, and one that flips out with cigarette lighter in) and one in the passenger fool well.... don't you have all these?

No footwell socket on 06 Models - the one in the rear cubby is fine for charging the mobile, which leaves the ashtray one for the radar detector - not exactly close to the windscreen is it

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    The concept is to keep the driver from having an inviting distraction available when he/she should be attending to the task ahead of them.

Well, aren't we lucky that legislators have not yet come up with the idea of banning potentially-distracting passengers.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752940 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430621 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258551 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868216 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801750 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM